The Downside - Wake Forest | Syracusefan.com

The Downside - Wake Forest

SWC75

Bored Historian
- I expected a let-down and probably a loss, but this was still a disappointing performance. This was the first game all year that we went into a fourth quarter with no chance to win. We’d managed to stay in games, even against superior teams. Not today.

- I knew we were in trouble early when I saw our defenders fully upright during a play. Football is not a game played straight up like that. It’s about obtaining leverage and you can’t do that standing straight up. The Wake Forest running plays looked like the secret service opening a way through a crowd for the president to come through. On the passing plays, it looked like Sam Hartman had a high wall constructed around him. Later the defense picked it up and was coming in lower and we were at least more ready to compete.

- We found out that this 3-3-5 defense is totally in effective unless we bring pressure. The three guys up front are just out-numbered.

- Our tackling on that touchdown just before the half was so bad you had to see it to believe it. One guy was in good position to make a play but took himself out of it by over-running it and had to try an arm tackle. Then two defenders seemed to ignore the ball carrier so they could get to a wide receiver and tackle him, letting Walker just slip past them for the score.

- We were dominate din the statis tics but the game really came down to that play, a broken coverage to open the third quarter, the lob to a pick six and a couple of penalties that kept another drive going for the Deacons. We went from 7-10 to 7-38. Game over.

- In two games, Rex Culpepper has thrown 5 interceptions and fumbled twice. Against Clemson, those turnovers turned a close game into a rout and in this game they slammed the door shut on any potential comeback. He locks on one receiver, throws into coverage and doesn’t protect the ball when he gets hit. His sideline throws are lobs and they said during the game that he is 1 for 11 on passes of more than 20 yards over the middle. The question has been asked: Why don’t we have a better back-up quarterback than this? Last year he even lost that job to Clayton Welch. It shouldn’t have come to this. “But we have to play him because the seniors want to win.” How can it be said that rex Culpepper gives us the best chance to win when he’s the biggest reason we lost the last two games.

- Dino doesn’t want to play the freshmen quarterbacks, Jacobian Morgan or Dillon Markiewicz. “They aren’t ready. They don’t have enough reps.” Eric Dungey was a three-star true freshman who was 5th string when three guys ahead of him either left or got hurt. Suddenly for the opener he was second string. Then Terrell Hunt got hurt in the opening possession of the first game. Dungey came in and was clearly better and started for four years. Morgan and Markiewicz are both three-star true freshmen. That doesn’t make them Dungey but the Dungey story means that we shouldn’t be afraid to give them a chance to show what they can do 7 games into the season and three games after Tommy DeVito went down.

- Sean Tucker couldn’t play. That’s four running backs – Abdul Adams, Jarveon Howard, Jawhar Jordan and now Tucker who are unavailable. I had thought Markenzie Pierre would show us something if he got the chance but he hasn’t. Wea re down to Cooper Lutz, a converted receiver who played running back in his school and probably Devin Flowers or Trebor Pena, another high school running back we have at receiver at the moment. Fortunately, Lutz looked pretty good today but who ever through we’d have to dig down this deep?

- Our two tight ends each caught a single 3 yard pass.

- Nykeim Johnson had 74 return yards at halftime. He also had 74 return yards at the end of the game.

- I love my college football Saturdays, flipping around watching several games at a time from Noon to Midnight. But having to watch SU lose in a Noon game keeps ruining them. I’m in no mood for football after that. It’s aversion therapy for my favorite sport.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom