The Downside | Syracusefan.com

The Downside

SWC75

Bored Historian
- I didn’t get much reading done.

- Taurean Thompson has great offensive skills but he’s having trouble staying on the court due to his defensive liabilities which cause him to commit too many fouls.

- Tyrus Battle connected on 3 shots, one a trey, hit a couple of free throws, had 3 rebounds and assist and a steal. That’s 10 good plays- in 40 minutes. I can’t say I noticed he was out there between those plays. He’s a big-time talent but hasn’t really found his game on this level yet.

- Frank Howard and DaJuan Coleman were basketball billionaires tonight. They each played one minute and got nothing but zeros in the box score other than that. Meanwhile we had two guys play 40 minutes, two more played 39 minutes and the fifth guy played 35 minutes. They played very well but we can’t just go with 5 guys the rest of the way.

- Now that I feel better about this team the defeats will hurt again.

Last edited:

- Taurean Thompson has great offensive skills but he’s having trouble staying on the court due to his defensive liabilities which cause him to commit too many fouls.

- Tyrus Battle connected on 3 shots, one a trey, hit a couple of free throws, had 3 rebounds and assist and a steal. That’s 10 good plays- in 40 minutes. I can’t say I noticed he was out there between those plays. He’s a big-time talent but hasn’t really found his game on this level yet.

- Frank Howard and DaJuan Coleman were basketball billionaires tonight. They each played one minute and got nothing but zeros in the box score other than that. Meanwhile we had two guys play 40 minutes, two more played 39 minutes and the fifth guy played 35 minutes. They played very well but we can’t just go with 5 guys the rest of the way.
I agree regarding minutes played and 5 guys. We really need TT to improve his defense. Not to being good but just passable and not a liability. If he could spell the two wing spots we would have options. Have him and Roberson on the wing and White a few minutes up top to spell Battle or Gillon. I also think we will use DC2 in the middle against certain teams. I would love to get 10 minutes out of Howard to spell both Battle and Gillon but I have no faith in him at this point.

I thought Battle played pretty good defense. He had one really good drive to the basket. I think there's still time he can become a factor.

Also, don't write off Howard and Coleman. They both will have meaningful games this season. This team has a lot of losses so we really need some signature wins to make the tournament. There's going to be a game where Howard or Coleman may be the difference in the game and therefore possibly the season!

I think what is really great and important is the team played really well tonight on defense. I think that's bigger than any players not contributing at a high level. I was just glad to see we actually had a defense for a change!

Also, I think Thompson is going to be a huge contributor towards the end of the season.

Frank Howard and DaJuan Coleman were basketball billionaires tonight. They each played one minute and got nothing but zeros in the box score other than that.

That's actually Trillionaires - they both joined Club Trillion, made "famous" by Mark Titus, former tOSU walk-on.

Not the kind of club a scholarship D1 player wants to get into. :oops:

That's actually Trillionaires - they both joined Club Trillion, made "famous" by Mark Titus, former tOSU walk-on.

Not the kind of club a scholarship D1 player wants to get into. :oops:

I like alliteration: "Basketball Billionaires". :cool:

Now that I feel better about this team the defeats will hurt again.

When I was at Wisconsin half a century ago, our football team hadn't won in 2 1/2 years. 70,000 fans showed up for every game anyway! A whole "scene" developed in the stands that had very little to do with the team and a lot to do with booze. They finally won a game in the middle of my sophomore year. The stadium en masse marched down to the state capitol to celebrate! (The only time we marched that had nothing to do with Viet Nam.)

After that, the games were still fun, but we started to care. It was simpler when we didn't care.

When I was at Wisconsin half a century ago, our football team hadn't won in 2 1/2 years. 70,000 fans showed up for every game anyway! A whole "scene" developed in the stands that had very little to do with the team and a lot to do with booze. They finally won a game in the middle of my sophomore year. The stadium en masse marched down to the state capitol to celebrate! (The only time we marched that had nothing to do with Viet Nam.)

After that, the games were still fun, but we started to care. It was simpler when we didn't care.

Was that when they started the "chicken dance"?

downside. you'll never convince me that not getting productive minutes from your bench is a good thing. cuz frankly ... it's not.

I like alliteration: "Basketball Billionaires". :cool:

yes, but - you've been beaten to the punch in coining a term related to that phenomenon, by about a decade.
Sorry.

The Story
"Club Trillion is an exclusive club founded in 2007 by three very handsome and very financially well-off Ohio State basketball players--Kyle Madsen (#15), Danny Peters (#13), and myself.

We named ourselves "Club Trillion" because, as athletically limited, we found ourselves riding the bench for the Buckeyes. When the time came for us to get in, there would usually only be 1 minute remaining in the game, and after sitting down for 39 minutes, we really had no interest in trying to be all that productive.

So we devised the plan of trying to get the "trillion", which occurs when we play 1 minute and do absolutely nothing that would appear in the box score, thus making our stat line say 1 minute played followed by a bunch of zeroes.

I know what you are saying to yourself right now. You are saying, 'That is side-splittingly hilarious. These guys are probably just a comical party waiting to happen...

You are absolutely right."

- Mark Titus

Were you there for the brawl with SU?

No! When did that happen? Remember, I was there half a century ago! :confused:
Late 60's, early 70's.

SU was killing Wisconsin and it was getting a little chippy. The story is that SU scored and the refs told SU not to kick the extra point because they didn't have any more balls (having lost so many being kicked into the crowd because they didn't have a screen to stop the ball on extra points). So SU went for two (while up by 30 or 40 points). As you can imagine, the Badgers weren't happy about that.

Both benches cleared. The fight seemed to go on forever (as described by Joel Marieness on the radio).

I'm guessing SWC can fill in the details.

Late 60's, early 70's.

SU was killing Wisconsin and it was getting a little chippy. The story is that SU scored and the refs told SU not to kick the extra point because they didn't have any more balls (having lost so many being kicked into the crowd because they didn't have a screen to stop the ball on extra points). So SU went for two (while up by 30 or 40 points). As you can imagine, the Badgers weren't happy about that.

Both benches cleared. The fight seemed to go on forever (as described by Joel Marieness on the radio).

WOW. I was there 68 - 72 and have no memory of that game! Good on my Badgers for going fisticuffs against the showboating Orange!

I'm going to have to google this.

Late 60's, early 70's.

WOW. I was there 68 - 72 and have no memory of that game! Good on my Badgers for going fisticuffs against the showboating Orange!

I'm going to have to google this.
1969 in Madison. Syracuse won 43-7.

For your reading pleasure: Former SU All-American Joe Ehrmann's helmet returned 40 years after it was lost in a brawl

Thank you, br801 and orange79! I laughed myself sick reading that article. I intend to send it to all my UW friends to see if they have any memories of that game. I was definitely there because I went to every single one of them but, see, there was this stuff called alcohol that I partook of and therefore many of those games are a blur.

But but but . . . look at the schedule below. The Syracuse game was the one just before the Iowa game, which was the first game we had won in 2 1/2 years!

Opponent# Rank# Site Result Attendance
September 20 No. 6 Oklahoma*
Camp Randall StadiumMadison, WI L 21–48 43,633

September 27 No. 14 UCLA*
Camp Randall Stadium • Madison, WI L 23–34 49,243

October 4 Syracuse*
Camp Randall Stadium • Madison, WI L 7–43 45,540

October 11 Iowa
Camp Randall Stadium • Madison, WI W 23–17 53,714

Well, I have just hijacked the living s*** out of this thread now, haven't I? Sorry, SWC!

- Now that I feel better about this team the defeats will hurt again.

The team also committed too many turnovers during the Miami game.

Late 60's, early 70's.

I don't recall that but it had have to have been 1969, when we beat them 43-7 in their own place.

I'm having a weird problem with NewspaperArchive.com where they recognize my e-mail address and password but keep prompting me to sign up, even though I'm already a member, and when I try to do that I get told that I can't sign up because my E-mail address is already being used. I've contacted the company and was told that the problem is on my end not theirs, which makes no sense. It's why i've been unable to continue with the "Bold Brave Men of Archbold" series. Otherwise I'd look that game up and fill you in, although I guess the above posts do a pretty good job of that.

Last edited:
I don't recall that but it had have to have been 1969, when we beat them 43-7 in their own place.

I'm having a weird problem with NewspaperArchive.com where they recognize my e-mail address and password but keep prompting me to sign up, even though I'm already a member, and when I try to do that I get told that ic an't sign up because my E-mail address is already being used. I've contacted the company and was told that the problem is on my end not theirs, which makes no sense. It's why i've been unable to continue with the "Bold Brave Men of Archbold" series. Otherwise I'd look that game up and fill you in.

Time to buy a new PC :p

Thank you, br801 and orange79! I laughed myself sick reading that article. I intend to send it to all my UW friends to see if they have any memories of that game. I was definitely there because I went to every single one of them but, see, there was this stuff called alcohol that I partook of and therefore many of those games are a blur.

But but but . . . look at the schedule below. The Syracuse game was the one just before the Iowa game, which was the first game we had won in 2 1/2 years!

Opponent# Rank# Site Result Attendance
September 20 No. 6 Oklahoma*
Camp Randall StadiumMadison, WI L 21–48 43,633

September 27 No. 14 UCLA*
Camp Randall Stadium • Madison, WI L 23–34 49,243

October 4 Syracuse*
Camp Randall Stadium • Madison, WI L 7–43 45,540

October 11 Iowa
Camp Randall Stadium • Madison, WI W 23–17 53,714

Well, I have just hijacked the living s*** out of this thread now, haven't I? Sorry, SWC!
Oklahoma, UCLA, Syracuse... quite a non-conference schedule that year. I would have been drinking, too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom