The Downside | Syracusefan.com

The Downside

SWC75

Bored Historian
- The game came down to turnovers. We made several stupid ones, including alley oops practically from half court, a 10 second violation, passes to nobody etc. etc. The math: 16 turnovers to 7 and we lost by 4 to the most talented team in the country. When we weren’t turning it over, we were as good as they were, maybe better.

- Fouls were 19-15, 10-5 in the first half. Duke took 11 more free throws than we did and outscored us by 9 in a four point game. I think the calls against us were valid but there were several plays on the other end where there was obvious physical contact and no foul was called.

- I don’t know what Frank Howard was doing out there and I don’t think he did either. He brought the ball up like he was walking through mud. I know we want to slow it down but that doesn’t mean our point guard has to play in slow motion. In half court situation he seemed to have no idea there was a shot clock. He fell in love with the alley-oop after a few early successes and decided he was Sherman Douglas, 9without the speed). Jimmy Satalin said that one of his passes would require Chukwu climbing on top of Chukwu to get it. One of them was near mid court a soon as he crossed it. He did nothing to break down the defense. He did get 8 rebounds and was credited with 5 assists but he surely had far more than 3 turnovers, (scorers often give the turnover to the intended target). He was also 1 for 6 from the field. We ne3eded a lot more form our point guard in the biggest game of the year.

- Oshae Brissett had 15 points and 7 rebounds but he was 5 for 15 from the field, making two of the Big Three 6 for 21. A lot of those misses were uncalled fouls but Oshae needs to get strong enough to score through the foul. He’ll get more of them called that way and more three point plays.

- I wish our centers would stay within the circle and protect the basket and the baseline. They give up too many dunks and lay-ups behind them and commit too many fouls trying to make up for being out of position, (which is what most fouls are really about).

- After the game, Kenny Smith said that duke won “because of their length: Syracuse plays a three guard line-up”. Kenny should tell Jim Boeheim who the third guard is because I’m sure he doesn’t know.

Oshae creates a lot of contact by jumping into or driving straight at his man. If the refs called all of that contact, a good percentage of then would be O fouls. I was just as happy with most of those plays being non-calls. All a defender has to do is just stand with his arms up and oshae would get called constantly for charging. next season he will need to get more consistent on his outside shooting and he also has to drive into lanes, not straight at his man.

• Duke won because of points off of turnovers and free throws. The former was something Syracuse had total control over. Many unforced errors. Duke's "zone" did not stop Syracuse. Syracuse stopped Syracuse.
  • Oshae Brissett was non existent in the first half going 1 of 8 including a missed dunk of which was converted on the other end. Can't play one half of basketball in the tournament and expect to win.
  • #FreeThrowsMatter. Syracuse's reputation for not making foul shots came back at the worst time last night. Left a number of points off the board.

Oshae creates a lot of contact by jumping into or driving straight at his man. If the refs called all of that contact, a good percentage of then would be O fouls. I was just as happy with most of those plays being non-calls. All a defender has to do is just stand with his arms up and oshae would get called constantly for charging. next season he will need to get more consistent on his outside shooting and he also has to drive into lanes, not straight at his man.

How many times have you seen opposing players jump into Syracuse defenders and get the call?

How many times have you seen opposing players jump into Syracuse defenders and get the call?

Oshae does get most of those calls as well. He gets to the line a lot. All I am saying is that i think going straight into guys creates risk of the charging call and also lowers his FG percentage. When there is contact, no question most of the calls are in favor of the o player. If D's learn to play correctly against him, he will be vulnerable to charging calls.

It came down to the last two minutes of the first half. If we were super alert in the span of those two minutes. We would have won the game by three or one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom