The Downside | Syracusefan.com

The Downside

SWC75

Bored Historian
- It may be more than just luck to win all these close games but what if we run into a game where whatever else it is isn’t enough?

- Getting separation from teams is important but in these last two games we had leads of 14 and 17 points and they both melted away. Are we tired because JB has fallen into his old habit of playing his best players 30+ minutes a game? Are we bored, or, more properly complacent? Is it possible that our second team, which broke the game open in the first half, is better than our first team?

- One thing that certainly happened in this game is that the Philly kids took over the game in the second half- to the detriment of their teammates. After getting great ball movement in the first half, the second half a was all about Scoop and Dion trying to drive through the defense to score. I only heard CJ Fair’s name in the final minute. The big men only got follow-shots. Here’s a stat that sums up the two halves perfectly: In the first half we had 13 assists and 2 turnovers. In the second half we had 1 assist- 1! - and 7 turnovers. JB likes Scoop out there because he runs the offense. So run it.

- What, exactly does Baye Keita give us that Rakeem Christmas couldn’t? And shouldn’t Rak be in there to learn because he ahs the bigger upside? Baye’s fumble of a wide-open follow shot was a key point in the Huskies’ comeback.

- What, exactly does Baye Keita give us that Rakeem Christmas couldn’t? And shouldn’t Rak be in there to learn because he ahs the bigger upside? Baye’s fumble of a wide-open follow shot was a key point in the Huskies’ comeback.

Yeah, Baye's fumble was a huge turning point. A 5 point swing that got the crowd going. I just don't get what Baye is doing to maintain JB's trust at this point. Rak had a nice couple minutes to open the game, Baye hasn't had a nice couple minutes in a month.

Pertinent and true points. This game provided plenty of evidence which would seem to indicate that the team is better when we play all 9 0r 10 with significant minutes. I contend there is a mix of players and playing time that would jump this team to even a higher level than it is right now. Of course it's major heresy to question JB's motives but what good is 29-1 if you haven't postured your team to perform at the apex of it's ablility in the post season.

Your point about 2nd half vs. 1st half with respect to turnovers and assists speaks very clearly and loudly as to what should be done. Surely JB knows this... doesn't he?????

Yeah, Baye's fumble was a huge turning point. A 5 point swing that got the crowd going. I just don't get what Baye is doing to maintain JB's trust at this point. Rak had a nice couple minutes to open the game, Baye hasn't had a nice couple minutes in a month.

I'll third this point, this is a big head scratcher for me. I would rather see Rak get some of those minutes Baye is getting. I don't care if we don't consider him a center, put him in at center and let him run with it.

After Rak's nice game at center vs Cincy I don't understand why he is isn't getting most of the minutes backing up Fab. Rak is stronger than Baye and holds his position better. More importantly, he has pretty good hands. He can catch the ball and can put it in the hoop. JB's lack of subs in the 2nd half is likely contributing to blowing leads as it looks like the guys are gassed and their performance on both ends suffers. I understand that he wants the vets in at crunch time but he could sub during the first 12-13 minutes of the 2nd half and have fresh legs out there for the last 6-7 minutes.

After Rak's nice game at center vs Cincy I don't understand why he is isn't getting most of the minutes backing up Fab. Rak is stronger than Baye and holds his position better. More importantly, he has pretty good hands. He can catch the ball and can put it in the hoop. JB's lack of subs in the 2nd half is likely contributing to blowing leads as it looks like the guys are gassed and their performance on both ends suffers. I understand that he wants the vets in at crunch time but he could sub during the first 12-13 minutes of the 2nd half and have fresh legs out there for the last 6-7 minutes.
Because he followed the Cincy game with the WVU game wher he did nothing but foul out. 14 minutes, 1 reb, 1 blk, 1 stl, 0 pts and 5 fouls. Coming into SU he had a rep for inconsitent play. What ever playing time he earned at Cincy, he lost at WVU. If you watch the USF game, he clearly pushes the USF guy in the back to try and get a reb. Bump him with a hip. Go over the his back. Both a fouls of enthusiasm but a clear push is laziness.

Yeah, Scoop played poorly on their run. I was a little disappointed considering how well he has been playing. But, old habits die hard. He took some really horrible shots and his defense was pitiful.

Because he followed the Cincy game with the WVU game wher he did nothing but foul out. 14 minutes, 1 reb, 1 blk, 1 stl, 0 pts and 5 fouls. Coming into SU he had a rep for inconsitent play. What ever playing time he earned at Cincy, he lost at WVU. If you watch the USF game, he clearly pushes the USF guy in the back to try and get a reb. Bump him with a hip. Go over the his back. Both a fouls of enthusiasm but a clear push is laziness.

Then Pittsburgh and Marquette have some of the laziest players college basketball has ever seen.

Then Pittsburgh and Marquette have some of the laziest players college basketball has ever seen.
Nah. Have to have a foul called for it to count. Since Pitt gets away with it as is Marquette now, it isn't laziness.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom