The Downside | Syracusefan.com

The Downside

SWC75

Bored Historian
- We had another bad turnover game with 18 of them- and they weren’t pressing us. MCW made some passes that were simultaneously too ambitious and careless. One thing I like is that his 6 turnovers didn’t make him gunshy: he’s like a shooter with no conscious. He doesn’t get shy. He gets smarter. Triche also had 4 miscues. That’s 10 from our starting backcourt. (If Scoop Jardine made the same passes….)

- James Southerland went south with 4 points on 2 for 9 shooting and 0 for 5 from the arc. Fortunately, we don’t depend on him- or anybody- in every game, except maybe Carter-Williams and Triche. It’s different guys every game. This just wasn’t his game.

- I was interested in Dash Riley, who I thought had a lot of promise when he was here. I’d seen a U-Tube clip of him making turn-around jumpers and drives to the basket with moves I’d not seen a Syracuse big man make in years. Then when he got a brief chance to play three years ago, he showed amazing passing ability for a big man- or for anybody. He seemed like an ideal high post center. Ironically in this game, scoring, (1 for 8 from the field) and passing, (1 assist in 26 minutes) is what he did worst. Instead he stayed down low and used his 7 foot body to choke off drives to the basket, sort of Fab Melo lite. He got credited with ’only’ 6 blocks but he “roofed” virtually every player on our roster at one time or another. If he’d stayed her he’d have definitely been in the mix at center and his combination of size and talent may be better than anyone we’ve got. He just needs to get healthy for along enough period of time to get strong and fully develop his talent. But he’ll do it for someone else.

- Jim Boeheim had one of those interesting press conferences. He went off on no one in particular, (Bud Poliquin had to ask him who he was mad at), about how everything thinks this team is wonderful when they are very far from it. He said one reason the team got off to a slow start tonight is that they had read and heard some of the things people were saying about them. He wants the expectations toned down a bit, saying that this team is not as good at the same stage as last year’s team. I think we have to remember that every player on this team except Brandon Triche is being asked to do more than he did last year. They are either new or starting fro the first time or have an expanded role. The thing to be excited about is not how good this team is now but how good they can be.

Thanks for the recap of Boeheim's remarks. We need perspective, and it's hard to have it when we are #4 in the country.

Not surprised by JB's remarks. It doesn't matter what fans think, but he wants his players to realize that tougher games are ahead. Need to keep getting better. Fortunately, the rookies are working on that (the two frosh and Cooney).

MCW is getting a free pass (vs. Scoop) while we win.

Not surprised by JB's remarks. It doesn't matter what fans think, but he wants his players to realize that tougher games are ahead. Need to keep getting better. Fortunately, the rookies are working on that (the two frosh and Cooney).

MCW is getting a free pass (vs. Scoop) while we win.

Meh, we won with Scoop, too. SWC makes a valid point.

Meh, we won with Scoop, too. SWC makes a valid point.
Not disagreeing with the point. But MCW is undefeated as a starter, and he has the halo effect as the new guy. We lost a few with Scoop (very few). I suspect there is this style thing -- MCW is more elegant, even when he is throwing his share of dumb passes.

Not disagreeing with the point. But MCW is undefeated as a starter, and he has the halo effect as the new guy. We lost a few with Scoop (very few). I suspect there is this style thing -- MCW is more elegant, even when he is throwing his share of dumb passes.

That's fair. Elegance and the whole "future lottery pick" thing go a long way, I think.

That's fair. Elegance and the whole "future lottery pick" thing go a long way, I think.

Everyone can see he is a special talent so we forgive him for his bad passes, at least for now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom