The Downside | Syracusefan.com

The Downside

SWC75

Bored Historian
- Did Fayetteville really happen? James Southerland hit 9 three pointers and scored 35 points against Arkansas. Since he came home, he’s 0 for 8 from the arc and has scored 6 points in 40 minutes of play. He seems to be just jacking it up. His shots are as tall as they are long, which causes them to bounce more violently. He needs to calm down and get back to his fundamentals.

- DaJuan Coleman got schooled by Dan Jennings who ahs a similar physique and probably less talent but more experience. Jennings used superior footwork and moves to score 20 points on 7 for 13 shooting while DaJuan was 0 for 4 and scored 4 points while committing four fouls trying to guard Jennings. It’s learning experience. One thing I did like is that DaJuan threw the first two of the Kevin Love-type outlet passes I saw him throwing in All-star games last year. The first one went over Brandon Triche’s head but it did so because Brandon turned and waited for the pass when it would have hit him in stride if he’d kept going. Much later in the game he threw another one that did connect but the defense had gotten down court and it didn’t lead directly to a bucket. But it’s going to be another weapon for us someday.

- Michael Carter Williams actually has a good assist-to-turnover ratio of 67-27, (2 ½-1) but he’s still averaging 4 turnovers a game, which is what he got in this one. He’ll get turnovers on plays other point guards would even try to make but things like a no-look alley-oop are a bit much, (it went down the alley but had no oop). Mike was also 5 for 16 from the field, 6 more shots than anyone else took. His teammates were 14 for 22. He needs to look at that stat. He’s a great talent but not yet a great player.

Watching DaJuan, you wonder what kind of time he'll get in the BE season. Could be an early yank ala Rak last year and Fab the year before. You can see that he's got "it" but he's got to figure "it" out before he can realize his potential.

One thing I see as a small negative with this team: they do not look to feed the post much. In the early part of the game, there were moments when Dajuan or Rakeem would flash, had their man sealed behind them, and the guards (I specifically noticed this of Triche) would look straight at them, and then reverse the ball around the perimeter. I think Dajuan's first touch on offense (not via a rebound) was when Cooney checked it, and was driving a bit out of control, and threw it to Coleman when his only other option was a turnover.

I just think they should make more of an effort to look for their post guys. Dajuan ran the court hard to get down on offense, and then would try to set up, and would get ignored. They've had this potential post game for years, but it seems to be neglected. One can remember AO leaving with the FG % record ... however, he'd get 6 or 7 shots a game. Fab demonstrated some moves, including a turnaround J, but he was not always looked to. You have guys who might have a post game in Rak and Dajuan. At least make an effort to use them. The threes won't always be falling.

Kev

One thing I see as a small negative with this team: they do not look to feed the post much. In the early part of the game, there were moments when Dajuan or Rakeem would flash, had their man sealed behind them, and the guards (I specifically noticed this of Triche) would look straight at them, and then reverse the ball around the perimeter. I think Dajuan's first touch on offense (not via a rebound) was when Cooney checked it, and was driving a bit out of control, and threw it to Coleman when his only other option was a turnover.

I just think they should make more of an effort to look for their post guys. Dajuan ran the court hard to get down on offense, and then would try to set up, and would get ignored. They've had this potential post game for years, but it seems to be neglected. One can remember AO leaving with the FG % record ... however, he'd get 6 or 7 shots a game. Fab demonstrated some moves, including a turnaround J, but he was not always looked to. You have guys who might have a post game in Rak and Dajuan. At least make an effort to use them. The threes won't always be falling.

Kev

It appeared that Cooney did leave his feet without a good idea of where to go, but Coleman had some space and did a good job of calling for the ball. Didn't end well, though.

Given how tightly the defense was packed in, last night might not have been the best time to make this judgment, but we didn't make an apparent effort to feed the post. Let's see how we do against Monmouth.

Watching DaJuan, you wonder what kind of time he'll get in the BE season. Could be an early yank ala Rak last year and Fab the year before. You can see that he's got "it" but he's got to figure "it" out before he can realize his potential.
I have to agree with you. Particularly since neither he or Rak seem to be able to play the wing defensively very well. This could very well be where Grant takes some minutes from. Many have been freaking out that Grant won't take minutes from Cj or JSouth. IMO Grant will take minutes from CJ, JSout, Rak, Coelman and Keita. He has the size and quickness needed both offensive and defensively to play the wing. I'm not talking major minutes but I think both Rak and Coleman are susceptible to being pulled for wing defensive lapses.

DaJuan looks like he is one wink from the basketball gods away from blowing up for 20 & 10 ... but only if his defense doesn't put him on the bench.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom