The Downside | Syracusefan.com

The Downside

SWC75

Bored Historian
- You’re West Virginia. You were 5-0 and thinking of a national championship and Heisman Trophy. You wind up in the Pinstripe Bowl, cold, wet and hurting. You’re down 24 points. You’re dreaming of being anywhere but where you are. They looked it the whole game and played like it.

- The big aerial circus never got off the ground. Geno Smith was 16 of 24 for 187 yards, 2TDs, no interceptions but a fumble and two safeties. Ryan Nassib was 12 for 24 for 127 yards, 2TDs and a very bad interception that fortunately was negated by Smith’s fumble. Every time either of them tried to throw deep it looked more like a shot put. They just couldn’t get a good grip on the ball.

- Alec Lemon and Marcus Sales totaled 133 catches for 1926 yards and 15TDs going into this game. They had a combined 4 catches for 31 yards and a drop on the goal line by lemon to close out their careers. Trevon Austin and Steadman Bailey combined for and absurd 216 catches for 2760 yards and 35 touchdowns. They got 10 catches for 143 yards and 2 scores. Our two guys are good, marginal NFL prospects. Austin and Bailey will surely play on Sunday. Frankly, when I looked at their stats, they scared me to death. I expected them to break away for touchdowns on almost any play. We’ll never know what they might have done on a dry field with a dry ball. Good for us.

- PTG had broken Floyd Little's SU bowl runshign record with 218 ayrds when he got knocked backwards and alost 3 yards to finish one short at 215, (Floyd had 216 vs. Tennessee in 1966).
I doubt he's crying into his beer.

Didn't realize that about Little's record.

Didn't realize that about Little's record.

It's confusing. ESPN had him for 215. SU doesn't have a box score up yet. Time-Warner Channel 19 said he had 219. ESPN has now changed it to 208 yards. Anyway, we won.

Wow. I didn't know Floyd's record still stood. I thoughan SU back had broken it in that bowl game against Houston in the 90s

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom