The Downside | Syracusefan.com

The Downside

SWC75

Bored Historian
- This is the weaker part of the Big East schedule and we are struggling to get by these teams. We are 15-1 but it’s not a strong-looking 15-1.

- A big reason for the struggles has been our lack of outside shooting. We made one basket outside the paint in the first half, a long three by MCW, who is hardly our #1 jump shooting option. W e wound up 3 for 21 from the arc, (is too many attempts as well as not enough makes). James Southerland was 1 for 8. Trevor Cooney was 0 for 2 and is now 17 for 60, (.283) on the season. With those two guys plus Triche and MCW and CJ also capable, this should not be a bad perimeter team but it is and that’s why these games have been such a struggle. If we hit a normal percentage of jump shots, we are ahead by double figures throughout the game tonight.

- Brandon Triche’s run of great games came to an end with a 2 for 10 performance, o for 4 from the arc.

It might be the weaker part of the big east schedule, but we beat Rutgers by 25 and they have won two in a row. It is hard to win on the road in this league. We have had close games on the road quite a few times the last three years against the weaker teams.

the shadow of the zone has somehow crept past midcourt. i'm just seeing a lot of standing around in the halfcourt set.

It still amazes me how inept we can look against a zone at times. You'd think we would be able to take those things that work best against the SU zone and implement some of them ourselves. Odd.

the shadow of the zone has somehow crept past midcourt. i'm just seeing a lot of standing around in the halfcourt set.

How about the first offensive possession after Cooney came into the game? He and Triche passed it back and forth for about 12 seconds, nobody made a move to penetrate or look inside, then Triche hoisted up about a 24-footer.

One of the worst half-court possessions in recent memory. It does boggle the mind how clueless this team looks against a zone. Clueless might not even be the right word - they did find South at the high post every so often. Just undisciplined and impatient.

Can't understand why a team whose mantra is "you can't beat a zone by hoisting up outside shots" would take 21 threes, especially in a game where two of your forwards combined for 38 points, all from the paint or the line.

to me it's looks like a starfish. and not one of those spindly reef dwellars scuttling along the ocean floor but rather a dried up one dead and petrified on the unraked post tide beach. (and notice i had the restraint not to go brown there.)

It still amazes me how inept we can look against a zone at times. You'd think we would be able to take those things that work best against the SU zone and implement some of them ourselves. Odd.

It's like pressing teams don't like to be pressed. You'd think a team would be good at attacking what they see in practice every day.

Is it me or are there always more replies to the Downside the the Upside? It's 7 to 1 now. You can see where we tend to focus but there is a lotta good that came out of last nights game- Rak, CJ, MCW, a comeback, stellar D when needed and, unbelievably- foul shooting. Bet they didn't go to Denny's afterward.

i always try to yin and yang. downsides do tend to get more "kill the paperboy" backlash replies from the kool aid crowd.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CB277777

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom