The Downside | Syracusefan.com

The Downside

SWC75

Bored Historian
- I love college basketball and have always defended it. But man, these games are brutal. It’s a Game of Groans.

- That 11 minute 16 stretch with only one field goal: 15 possessions. 1 for 12 from the field. 4 turnovers. 2 of 5 from the line. 3 offensive rebs to 7 defensive for them. We were out-scored 5-11. Thank goodness it was only 11. Do that in the Final Four and go home sad.

- Trevor F. Cooney. He’s supposed to be an unreal outside shooter. He shoots as if the basket wasn’t real. He missed a trey with nobody near him as Marquette was making their run. Then he makes an ill-advised to Baye Moussa Sissorhands. Finally, we are playing for a vital last shot of the half and Trev bobbles it out of bounds. I still have hopes he’ll be a big contributor in the future, (see Southerland, James). But right now, he’s painful to watch.

- Baye, after a series of above and beyond the call games, came up mostly empty in this one, with no points and five fouls. He did have 3 rebounds and 2 blocks but got pushed around badly by the brawnier Marquette big men. Overall our centers had 4 points, 7 rebounds, (one less than MCW) and 3 blocks. As I’ve said I want those stats to total at least 20 per game. Tonight it was 14. People say this is the best defense we’ve ever had. Imagine if it had Fab Melo in it.

- JB said in his presser that if his players think it’s enough to go to the Final Four they are wrong. Lose there and it will hurt worse than if they’d lost this game. The higher you climb, the farther you can fall. Will the magic be there next week?

Triche's back seems to really hamper him, but like you said in the upside, he was able to gut it out and contribute. I hope he gets all the treatment he needs to be really ready for Atlanta. Need him to keep contributing.

-I love college basketball and have always defended it. But man, these games are brutal. It’s a Game of Groans.

-That 11 minute 16 stretch with only one field goal: 15 possessions. 1 for 12 from the field. 4 turnovers. 2 of 5 from the line. 3 offensive rebs to 7 defensive for them. We were out-scored 5-11. Thank goodness it was only 11. Do that in the Final Four and go home sad.

-Trevor F. Cooney. He’s supposed to be an unreal outside shooter. He shoots as if the basket wasn’t real. He missed a trey with nobody near him as Marquette was making their run. Then he makes an ill-advised to Baye Moussa Sissorhands. Finally, we are playing for a vital last shot of the half and Trev bobbles it out of bounds. I still have hopes he’ll be a big contributor in the future, (see Southerland, James). But right now, he’s painful to watch.

-Baye, after a series of above and beyond the call games, came up mostly empty in this one, with no points and five fouls. He did have 3 rebounds and 2 blocks but got pushed around badly by the brawnier Marquette big men. Overall our centers had 4 points, 7 rebounds, (one less than MCW) and 3 blocks. As I’ve said I want those stats to total at least 20 per game. Tonight it was 14. People say this is the best defense we’ve ever had. Imagine if it had Fab Melo in it.

Imagine it had Nerlens Noel, which it might have had. Sorry Nerlens, you blew it.

Cheers,
Neil

Sometimes you need to skip the downside, especially the criticism of specific players. Today was one of those days.

Sorry, SWC, I love you man, but this was the wrong post on the wrong day.

The downside? There is not one. WE ARE GOING TO THE FINAL FOUR!!!!

Sometimes you need to skip the downside, especially the criticism of specific players. Today was one of those days.

Sorry, SWC, I love you man, but this was the wrong post on the wrong day.

I suspect JB and his coaches aren't over-looking the downside. We've got a chance to win this and we need to be operating on all cylinders to do it.

Also, the Southerland little stretch where he blew the hand off to MCW after the rebound, followed the next trip down when he runs into MCW or Triche after they get the ball knocking it out of their hands for another turnover. A little stretch but left me yelling at the TV saying Southy was a one man wrecking crew! Funny now!

We have one of those keystone cops segments in each game. Frankly, Louisville is the only team that was able to make us pay for it so far in the post-season, but man did they make us pay for it. The amazing thing is, the errors are all unforced. If you remove that segment from our games, which is completely doable, and our defense keeps playing at this level, I think we will be very hard to beat.

-Trevor F. Cooney. He’s supposed to be an unreal outside shooter. He shoots as if the basket wasn’t real. He missed a trey with nobody near him as Marquette was making their run. Then he makes an ill-advised to Baye Moussa Sissorhands. Finally, we are playing for a vital last shot of the half and Trev bobbles it out of bounds. I still have hopes he’ll be a big contributor in the future, (see Southerland, James). But right now, he’s painful to watch.

wouldn't be shocked if he got recruited over.

wouldn't be shocked if he got recruited over.

I think he already has. But if he comes back next year and shows that dead-eye shot, he's still got a chance. He's a good eno9ugh all-around player to start if he can find his shot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Foxda130

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom