The Downside | Syracusefan.com

The Downside

SWC75

Bored Historian
- I was really hoping there’s be still another variation on our uniforms. Maybe an orange jersey? I had a Clemson fan next to me, (very nice guy, by the way), and I couldn’t yell “Go orange!” because he was dressed in orange- and our guys were in blue. I wound up shouting “Let’s Go Cuse!” Do do this to me again, guys!

- The game was basically as I feared. They torched our secondary to get a bvig halftime elad and we never got back in it, just like the Northwestern game. Clemson could easily have scored 70+ points in this game if they just kept chucking it because we were letting their guys run wide open all day. They did a us a favor by trying to run the ball in the second half: we aren’t bad against that. But our pass defense is the worst I’ve seen here in years. Clemson has a great quarterback and some talent receivers but they were just playing catch today. It’s really disappointing because I tho0ught our secondary would be a strength this year with some veteran players in Anderson, Wilkes and Lyn. Eskridge, Reddish, Morgan and Whigham are highly touted athletes of the type we’ll need to compete in this conference. The whole is a lot less than the sum of the parts. I think the reserves here might be better than the starters and it might be time go with the younger guys full time.

- On the other side of the ball, they had our receivers covered like a blanket. Sometimes they may have covered them a bit too close. But you could see Terrell Hunt going through his progressions: No…No…No…..tuck and run it…When he did throw the result was an incompletion 13 times and an interception 3 more times in 24 attempts. Even the 8 completions gained only 52 yards, 32 of which came on one play by Ashton Broyld. It was one of two times he was open over the middle. He dropped it the other time.

- But maybe the biggest disappointment was the lack of focus. Not only the blown coverages but three false start in the offensive line and two times when Devante McFarlane and George Morris both tried to field kickoffs, which, as Chris Gedney pointed out means not only that you risk a muff but that your lead blocker is not going to be out there to lead you with blocks. And I've seen a lot of things but I've never seen a punt return unit come onto the field for a third down. We didn’t “control the controlables” today.

- Why does the “quick out” work for everybody else but not us? I think the reason may be is that the other teams flood the zone with receivers who become blockers. WE depend on the receiver to catch the ball and then juke or break tackles. That’s hard to do.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom