The Edwards baseline move ... | Syracusefan.com

The Edwards baseline move ...

His offensive game reminds me of Anthony Davis at the same stage. Seems like a kid who learned how to play the game at 6'5" and then kept all his skills and composure after a big growth spurt.

No need for the "slow down, he's not going to produce like that." I know that. His defense and lack of strength will lead to some DNPs. (Boeheim's reaction to his held ball, yelling "grab it away," was silly...what do you think I was trying to do, Coach?!)

Is he another Autry find? If so Red has some great eyes for euro-talent.
griff found him on a tip from a colleague

in consecutive classes, griff has maintained contact w/names he kept in his pocket and then pulled them in late to flesh out classes - braswell, edwards and now kadary

Last edited:
His offensive game reminds me of Anthony Davis at the same stage. Seems like a kid who learned how to play the game at 6'5" and then kept all his skills and composure after a big growth spurt.

No need for the "slow down, he's not going to produce like that." I know that. His defense and lack of strength will lead to some DNPs. (Boeheim's reaction to his held ball, yelling "grab it away," was silly...what do you think I was trying to do, Coach?!)
Well, a lot of guys are stronger than they think and just need to have a little anger to access it.

griff found him on a tip from a colleague

in consecutive classes, griff has maintained contact w/names he kept in his pocket and then pulled them in late to flesh out classes - braswell, edwards and now kadary

Appreciate this, but none of them has done much at SU yet.

Edwards does have a lot of potential. Braswell, too -- sorta. But I'll be happy when we have more Top 50 talent that don't need quite as much time. Or, if these guys pan out, we can continue to develop.

Over the last 5 years, we haven't had much development over time and that piece has me extremely worried.

Appreciate this, but none of them has done much at SU yet.

Edwards does have a lot of potential. Braswell, too -- sorta. But I'll be happy when we have more Top 50 talent that don't need quite as much time. Or, if these guys pan out, we can continue to develop.

Over the last 5 years, we haven't had much development over time and that piece has me extremely worried.
Sanctions reduced scholarships.

Ok? What does that have to do with the price of prunes?
Sanctions means fewer players. Fewer players means fewer players to develop. Fewer players to practice and develop means misses are magnified. All of this resulted in the staff designing a plan to slow the ball down to avoid fatigue and injuries as best as possible and to play your 6 to 7 best players only.

Sanctions means fewer players. Fewer players means fewer players to develop. Fewer players to practice and develop means misses are magnified. All of this resulted in the staff designing a plan to slow the ball down to avoid fatigue and injuries as best as possible and to play your 6 to 7 best players only.
Somewhat agree that sanctions has played a role of late in our so-so recruiting. But if we’re being honest, JB has always been, & still is, notorious for his short-bench.
He’ll play 7, maybe 8 guys at most, and there’s always a couple of Ironmen who never leave the game.
That philosophy has only worsened the effects of the sanctions because as you pointed out, misses are amplified if your chances are limited.

Somewhat agree that sanctions has played a role of late in our so-so recruiting. But if we’re being honest, JB has always been, & still is, notorious for his short-bench.
He’ll play 7, maybe 8 guys at most, and there’s always a couple of Ironmen who never leave the game.
That philosophy has only worsened the effects of the sanctions because as you pointed out, misses are amplified if your chances are limited.
That is his formula. The thing that changed was, in the past the 7-8 guys were mostly upperclassmen who had been developed over several seasons. With the sanctions, they didn't have room on the roster for that so the guys who played were freshman and sophomores and they played well and were taken in the draft. Now they are back to presanction strategies. The depth will allow the style of play that people are clamoring for.

That is his formula. The thing that changed was, in the past the 7-8 guys were mostly upperclassmen who had been developed over several seasons. With the sanctions, they didn't have room on the roster for that so the guys who played were freshman and sophomores and they played well and were taken in the draft. Now they are back to presanction strategies. The depth will allow the style of play that people are clamoring for.
Exactly what was needed, IMO.
And moving forward, it’s an even smarter strategy since its likely the Association will lower the draft age & OAD will hopefully be rarer.
In March, the more experienced teams are usually the ones that do the most damage, just ask PayPayCal and K. All the talent they had these last few years, & it’s the veteran Nova, UNC and UVA teams that cut down the nets.

In fairness that is a survey of just a couple of players. Since 2014-15 I think there are only 9 players that had been in the program at least 3 years by their last year here. Development typically implies improvement over time with the amount of time required being different for everyone, but less than 3 years in the program is typically not considered to be much time.

Frank Howard
Tyus Battle
Pascal Chukwu
Tyler Roberson
Dajuan Coleman
Trevor Cooney
Michael Gbinije
Chino Obokoh
Rakeem Christmas

Would you say all of those guys didn't develop? Personally I think the shorter roster because of sanctions and a failure to manage the roster left us without a good mix of both players that had developed and youngsters. That caused us to feed guys like OB big minutes earlier than they might have otherwise gotten, in turn allowing them to position themselves to leave earlier than might otherwise have been the case.

In any case my point is that at least half those guys above developed and gotten better, some (Gbinije, Battle and Christmas) were even extremely good/great by their final years here. Howard and Cooney were solid 4 year contributors that were probably leaned on for more than they were capable, due to weaker supporting casts.

Roberson definitely backslid and never put it together. Coleman was always injured...did he fail to develop or fail to get healthy? I would agree that Chukwu failed to develop, although I also think he was taken on as a high upside project and then got pushed into a bigger role because the roster never shook out as expected. I think Obokoh was essentially a practice body that was never expected to contribute in games.

Last edited:
Good post, pfister. I will add that Chukwu (with all his limitations) developed into a big role in the sweet 16 run with his defense and rebounding. Howard improved measurably from his disappointing sophomore year to his solid junior year. He slipped last season due to injury. Buddy has improved — he is way better now than his recruiting ratings indicated. Hughes used his transfer year to get better, and has also improved this season over last season, with expanded opportunities.

There are always counter-examples (Battle maxed out; Roberson), but overall, we have had a fair share of guys who improved and developed.

Exactly what was needed, IMO.
And moving forward, it’s an even smarter strategy since its likely the Association will lower the draft age & OAD will hopefully be rarer.
In March, the more experienced teams are usually the ones that do the most damage, just ask PayPayCal and K. All the talent they had these last few years, & it’s the veteran Nova, UNC and UVA teams that cut down the nets.

PayCal or not, but one thing Cal said was it was NOT his priority to win games or championships, his priority is to get his players ready for NBA, and that he was more proud on draft nights then winning a NCAA title. Whether he really meant it or not, I bet it got him more top recruits.

Precisely, less scholarships does impact results even if all you ever do is player 7 in games.

It means instead of having 15 recruited players and hope that at least 7 of them step up and flourish you are betting 7 out of 11.

It also means when recruiting you have to be extremely careful with each offer. You may have five players with Cuse in their top 5, and you are left with 2 scholarships to give, the player you really want is taking his time, and there is another player ready to commit but not as developed, skilled or talented, and he is telling you he will commit to St Johns if your offer is not made by tomorrow, then you are forced to settle or take a chance but if you have five scholarships to give there isn't such an issue.

Playing 7 doesn't mean he needs only 7.

Last edited:
One thing that gives me some confidence is Oklahoma State hasn't been blowing out the tomato cans. They have single digit wins over Yale, Oral Roberts, and Western Michigan. Those teams have zero wins inside the KP top 150.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom