The Ernie Davis Dome? | Syracusefan.com

The Ernie Davis Dome?

Orangeyes

R.I.P Dan
Read the comments under the story

Was the get together for Ernie at the New York Historical Society taped by TWCNY or SU? CTO, did you go?

There were 200 invited guests but there are a whole lot more people who love Ernie and would like to see it.

There is some stuff on OAA. Post event interviews and the video they showed.

Honestly, I'd rather we begin to move away from naming things after Ernie Davis. We have Ernie Davis field, an Ernie Davis building, an Ernie Davis movie and an Ernie Davis statue. I understand he was a great player and all...but enough is enough.

Honestly, I'd rather we begin to move away from naming things after Ernie Davis. We have Ernie Davis field, an Ernie Davis building, an Ernie Davis movie and an Ernie Davis statue. I understand he was a great player and all...but enough is enough.
Disagree, Ernie Davis is the single best thing to ever happen for Syracuse Football and Syracuse University. There should be streets named for him too.

Yeah, where is the Floyd Little, Jim Brown, Donovan McNabb, Dwight Freeney, Joe Morris, Larry Csonka, Marvin Harrison, etc. love?

I love ED, but we don't get Ernie without Jim Brown who rightfully should also have been SU's first Heisman winner, which in turn would have slightly lessened ED's spot in SU sports history.

I know it's not PC to support Jim Brown, but it's passed due that this institution start recognizing it's unquestioned greatest athlete of all time (warts and all) while he is still with us, rather than decades after his passing.

Cheers,
Neil

Disagree, Ernie Davis is the single best thing to ever happen for Syracuse Football and Syracuse University. There should be streets named for him too.

I don't think you want to over kill it. Without Jim Brown there might not have been an Ernie Davis. Which means there is no Little, Hunter, Bing, etc. Is it right that he has nothing on campus and everything is ED? I think ED had the greatest impact of any one individual and his memory should be honored, and it has been. But to ignore everyone else who has had an impact at SU and only honor ED isn't right.

I love ED, but we don't get Ernie without Jim Brown who rightfully should also have been SU's first Heisman winner, which in turn would have slightly lessened ED's spot in SU sports history.

I know it's not PC to support Jim Brown, but it's passed due that this institution start recognizing it's unquestioned greatest athlete of all time (warts and all) while he is still with us, rather than decades after his passing.

Cheers,
Neil
To go back one step further, how about honoring Ken Malloy without whom there would have been no Jim Brown and most likly Ernie Davis, Floyd Little, no championship in 1959 and no need for a Carrier Dome. Ken Malloy needs to have a day so people can learn about this great American and friend to the program.

Here is a post I made about him back in November

If we drop Carrier from the Dome, we better be getting a new naming rights sponsor. I don't care how ridiculous it might have to be, I don't care if it's Turning Stone Dome, that money is huge.

Naming the arena after a player/coach/anything is a horrible idea (moneywise).

"Two other notable SU alums - sportscasters Marv Albert (Class of '61) and Len Berman ('68) - served as emcee and panel moderator for the event, which was attended by a number of former SU athletes and prominent alumnae."

An all-female group of Syracuse graduates at this event?

How does this Nolan individual have work as a professional writer? Seriously, I know Donnie Webb is missed, but couldn't the Post-Standard have found someone with basic sixth-grade writing skills to fill his position?

I think it's time we give Jim his due as the first #44, the guy who should have been the first Heisman winner and the greatest running back in the history of the game. I'd like to see the area where the Davis statue is be the site of statues to Jim and another one to Floyd and that corner could be called "the 44's".

I agree that we might as well get a new corporate name for the Dome at this since Carrier moved out of town. But not something that sounds silly, please.

The dome is famous for basketball plain and simple. It is not thought of as a football stadium and will NEVER be thought of as a football stadium. I agree that Ernie Davis should have a street named after him. However the dome is famous for hoops. It should be named James Arthur Boeheim arena if anything

Read the comments under the story

Was the get together for Ernie at the New York Historical Society taped by TWCNY or SU? CTO, did you go?

There were 200 invited guests but there are a whole lot more people who love Ernie and would like to see it.

Nobody loves Ernie more than me, as my avitar will attest. That said, I tend to agree that we already have a lot of Ernie-related stuff...statue, dorm, movie, Ernie Davis legends field, etc etc

I think the time to name the Dome for Ernie was long ago.

I am also of the opinion that the Carrier Dome is so closely associated with SU that to change the name might be foolish. I don't think Carrier Corp ever got much out of it, as most people outside of CNY don't even know what "Carrier" means.

I'm also of the opinion that the other legends at SU get the short end of the stick somewhat

Yeah, where is the Floyd Little, Jim Brown, Donovan McNabb, Dwight Freeney, Joe Morris, Larry Csonka, Marvin Harrison, etc. love?

Fraternities sponsored carwashes to give tastiekakes to underprivileged youth in West Philly would be a fitting use for Marvin good name.

agree with everyone else - that would be beyond overkill at this point. There are plenty of tributes to Ernie already. If this keeps up pretty soon you'll have someone suggesting switching the school's name to Ernie Davis University at Syracuse.

I'm in agreement with most of the sentiment here. Ernie Davis Field is a great tribute already. The Dome is an all-purpose facility and probably has more notoriety as a basketball area anyway. Let someone else pay to have their name on the Dome and use the money for facilities upgrade.

The Turning Stone Dome aka Stone Dome.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom