the ESPN toughest schedule for the ACC is a bunch of B.S. | Syracusefan.com

the ESPN toughest schedule for the ACC is a bunch of B.S.

This is from September. I have a feeling it would be different based on how the season has already played out (ie. Villanova would probably be considered out toughest OOC opponent now).

This is from September. I have a feeling it would be different based on how the season has already played out (ie. Villanova would probably be considered out toughest OOC opponent now).

Good point.

Still, dopey analysis. At this juncture of the season, we have solid OOC wins against major conference teams like Minnesota [B1G], California [Pac-12], Baylor [Big 12], and St. John's [Big East... man, does it feel weird typing that]. Big game coming up against a fellow top 10 foe in Villanova.

Our OOC schedule is not only just fine, but it is much more difficult than what that article attributed.

Good point.

Still, dopey analysis. At this juncture of the season, we have solid OOC wins against major conference teams like Minnesota [B1G], California [Pac-12], Baylor [Big 12], and St. John's [Big East... man, does it feel weird typing that]. Big game coming up against a fellow top 10 foe in Villanova.

Our OOC schedule is not only just fine, but it is much more difficult than what that article attributed.

And Indiana

Good point.

Yeah, again, this was written in September, so your point makes no ing sense.

Yeah, again, this was written in September, so your point makes no sense.

What does the article being written in September have to do with the fact that we've played a much better OOC slate than the article gave us credit for?

Last edited:

I saw that, but come on... when I started to read who the other teams were playing it became obvious they were clowning

That basically blew off our Maui classic.When you go to the current strength of schedule ratings some of the teams who had a higher rating are not even close to ours.

Last edited:
What does the article being written in September have to do with the fact that we've played a much better OOC slate than the article gave us credit for?

We have two teams on our schedule who have had better starts to their seasons than expected. When the article was written no one knew Villanova would start 10-0 or that Baylor would beat Kentucky. Or that we would even play Baylor in Maui for that matter. Any preseason article rating a teams strength of schedule becomes moot once the season begins and teams play above, to, or below expectations.

We have two teams on our schedule who have had better starts to their seasons than expected. When the article was written no one knew Villanova would start 10-0 or that Baylor would beat Kentucky. Or that we would even play Baylor in Maui for that matter. Any preseason article rating a teams strength of schedule becomes moot once the season begins and teams play above, to, or below expectations.

The author didn't have difficulty subjectively projecting the relative difficulty of other OOC schedules based upon prospective opponents.

The point is: our OOC schedule is better than a "5." The analysis--and subsequent logic that went into it--was flawed.

I hope we go through 3 B1G schools on the way to NC!
Throw in the regular season victories vs MN and IN;
Get the Syracuse Orange, '13-'14 B1G Champs shirts ready...:)

The author didn't have difficulty subjectively projecting the relative difficulty of other OOC schedules based upon prospective opponents.

The point is: our OOC schedule is better than a "5." The analysis--and subsequent logic that went into it--was flawed.

He gave it a "6", implying that he thought it was slightly above average. At the time it was written, the schedule consisted of 1 ranked team, either Gonzaga or Baylor, though neither they nor we were guaranteed to meet.

In hindsight, it's probably a 7.5. Nova looks significantly better than expected, and Baylor and Minny slightly better. Indiana and Cal are probably slightly worse than expected. One could argue 7, one could argue 8, but I don't see think you could argue 9. For reference, UNC got a 9 and they played the preseason #1, #2, and #3.

I hope we go through 3 B1G schools on the way to NC!
Throw in the regular season victories vs MN and IN;
Get the Syracuse Orange, '13-'14 B1G Champs shirts ready...:)

that would look great with my 2003 Big 12 championship shirt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom