The Fave Sport from Northeast and Atlantic Coast: from BBall side | Syracusefan.com

The Fave Sport from Northeast and Atlantic Coast: from BBall side

arbitragegls

All Conference
its basketball. Interestingly, the numbers run for a ACC network have as much if not more to do with ACC Basketball...in fact, the number crunchers (source) is that the $$$ for basketball on an ACC network may be huge...okay staggering.
There is no doubt that the ACC Conference adding 'Cuse, Pitt, Notre Dame and belatedly Louisville, will be the premiere basketball conference...lets not forget that the new Big East just signed a contract north of $5,000,000 per team...and the value of ACC basketball is going to be significantly higher...no longer is basketball going to be 20% of the TV deal...and why should it be...multiply the # of games by approximately 3X...and in a geographic footprint that likes basketball as much as football.
Stay tuned...$$$ are going to be large. It is good to be 'Cuse!​

the ACC has always been, and will continue to be...the right spot for Syracuse.

nobody is going anywhere.

in 10 years, the newbies here will be like...wait, Syracuse played in the big east???!! why??

all is good.

Duke and NC in the Dome next year - wow.

Can you say "new attendance record"?

Duke and NC in the Dome next year - wow.

Can you say "new attendance record"?
maybe the 1st ever 30k on a weeknight.

All joking aside which game draws more fans Syracuse-Duke basketball or Syracuse-Wagner in football. Which game will have more butts in the seats at the Dome? Obviously its not indicative to the football team as the Duke game will be a primere event, but I doubt more than maybe Kentucky or Louisville could match our basketball attendance capabilities. Even Michigan State only got 25k at Ford Field against #1 North Carolina during the 2009 B1G/ACC challenge.

All joking aside which game draws more fans Syracuse-Duke basketball or Syracuse-Wagner in football. Which game will have more butts in the seats at the Dome? Obviously its not indicative to the football team as the Duke game will be a primere event, but I doubt more than maybe Kentucky or Louisville could match our basketball attendance capabilities. Even Michigan State only got 25k at Ford Field against #1 North Carolina during the 2009 B1G/ACC challenge.
Duke by far. Unless we start 2-0 in FB.

its basketball. Interestingly, the numbers run for a ACC network have as much if not more to do with ACC Basketball...in fact, the number crunchers (source) is that the $$$ for basketball on an ACC network may be huge...okay staggering.​
There is no doubt that the ACC Conference adding 'Cuse, Pitt, Notre Dame and belatedly Louisville, will be the premiere basketball conference...lets not forget that the new Big East just signed a contract north of $5,000,000 per team...and the value of ACC basketball is going to be significantly higher...no longer is basketball going to be 20% of the TV deal...and why should it be...multiply the # of games by approximately 3X...and in a geographic footprint that likes basketball as much as football.​

I wonder if this means that ESPN will be trying to help convince the ACC to add Connecticut too. I think they have 11 national championships in basketball if you throw in the women.

I wonder if this means that ESPN will be trying to help convince the ACC to add Connecticut too. I think they have 11 national championships in basketball if you throw in the women.

Perish the thought.

They had that chance, and apparently made the suggestion, which BC torpedoed. Or so I recall, kinda. The original recommendation was SU and UConn.

They had that chance, and apparently made the suggestion, which BC torpedoed. Or so I recall, kinda. The original recommendation was SU and UConn.
Remember when UCONN sued BC?? BC remembers.

I shudder to think how big the ACC Network can be. Obviously football drives the bus. And the ACC has decent football names.

But ACC Basketball is going to be straight up dominant. I mean, our conference will OWN basketball coverage for the entire winter. That is 4 months of TV coverage controlled by the ACC.

Now imagine if the Football side of the conference starts pulling its own weight? SHEESH!

its basketball. Interestingly, the numbers run for a ACC network have as much if not more to do with ACC Basketball...in fact, the number crunchers (source) is that the $$$ for basketball on an ACC network may be huge...okay staggering.​
There is no doubt that the ACC Conference adding 'Cuse, Pitt, Notre Dame and belatedly Louisville, will be the premiere basketball conference...lets not forget that the new Big East just signed a contract north of $5,000,000 per team...and the value of ACC basketball is going to be significantly higher...no longer is basketball going to be 20% of the TV deal...and why should it be...multiply the # of games by approximately 3X...and in a geographic footprint that likes basketball as much as football.​
Its all about college football. College basketball is meaningless until you fill out the brackets. In college football you loose "1" game and your probably out of the national playoffs!! College basketball has 7 games losers play for a national championship!! College is just behind the NFL in popularity nation wide. So college football helps college basketball not the oher way around!! The facts support that!! SORRY!!!

Its all about college football. College basketball is meaningless until you fill out the brackets. In college football you loose "1" game and your probably out of the national playoffs!! College basketball has 7 games losers play for a national championship!! College is just behind the NFL in popularity nation wide. So college football helps college basketball not the oher way around!! The facts support that!! SORRY!!!
A fine example of slothful induction.

I shudder to think how big the ACC Network can be. Obviously football drives the bus. And the ACC has decent football names.

But ACC Basketball is going to be straight up dominant. I mean, our conference will OWN basketball coverage for the entire winter. That is 4 months of TV coverage controlled by the ACC.

Now imagine if the Football side of the conference starts pulling its own weight? SHEESH!

The great thing is that the ACC has good spring sports too along with Football in the fall and basketball in the winter. ACC baseball and lacrosse are second to none at the college level, and tennis is good too. The ACC offers content that covers the entire year very well. Yes football is the big dog in all of this, but the others should be able to pull their weight too. Soccer is great too in the fall.

Where in his post did you get that football wasn't driving the bus. His post simply states that basketball was and will be a major reason for the revenue growth in the ACC.

UConn will NEVER be invited to the ACC unless the conference gets gutted. The Richard Blumenthal lawsuit he filed against the ACC and naming John Swofford and several ACC university presidents/administrators destroyed ANY good will UConn will have with the ACC. While allegedly UConn was supported by Duke and North Carolina when Maryland departed Boston College, Florida State, Clemson, and surprisingly Syracuse all favored Louisville over UConn. UConn is not needed for the ACC to do well in basketball and while their board may think they can deliver NYC its not true as Jim Delany had his choice between UConn winner of 11 NC in men's and women's basketball and actually played in a BCS bowl 3 years or Rutgers which is probably the worst athletic department of any BCS team in the last 20 years and has earned 0 basketball NCAA appearance in Men's basketball and never won the Big East football title, and if UConn could bring the NYC market more than Rutgers Delany would have taken UConn over Rutgers. UConn is sleeping on the bed that their attention seeking US Senator former AG Richard Blumenthal made for his state university.

UConn will NEVER be invited to the ACC unless the conference gets gutted. The Richard Blumenthal lawsuit he filed against the ACC and naming John Swofford and several ACC university presidents/administrators destroyed ANY good will UConn will have with the ACC. While allegedly UConn was supported by Duke and North Carolina when Maryland departed Boston College, Florida State, Clemson, and surprisingly Syracuse all favored Louisville over UConn. UConn is not needed for the ACC to do well in basketball and while their board may think they can deliver NYC its not true as Jim Delany had his choice between UConn winner of 11 NC in men's and women's basketball and actually played in a BCS bowl 3 years or Rutgers which is probably the worst athletic department of any BCS team in the last 20 years and has earned 0 basketball NCAA appearance in Men's basketball and never won the Big East football title, and if UConn could bring the NYC market more than Rutgers Delany would have taken UConn over Rutgers. UConn is sleeping on the bed that their attention seeking US Senator former AG Richard Blumenthal made for his state university.

This means the Cincinnati has a realistic shot at membership at some point when the time comes for 16. I doubt the Big XII grabs them. They haven't pissed off the members of the conference like WVU and UConn have done. This is of course if someone like Texas or Penn State remains unavailable. Some folks with outside shots would be Temple and South Florida for their markets.

This means the Cincinnati has a realistic shot at membership at some point when the time comes for 16. I doubt the Big XII grabs them. They haven't pissed off the members of the conference like WVU and UConn have done. This is of course if someone like Texas or Penn State remains unavailable. Some folks with outside shots would be Temple and South Florida for their markets.
IMO if the ACC went to 16 they would listen to ND and would likely go in this order. Note:the first options are pure fantasy
1.Penn State/Texas......3. Cincinnati/Navy......5.West Virginia......6.UConn

I think the ACC would try to land either Texas and Penn State realizing neither is likely, but are worth taking a stab at and with Notre Dame on board they would be atleast be somewhat receptive to listening. Then, Cincinnati/Navy and depending on what Notre Dame said which one it would favor over the other, if ND wanted Navy they would likely be the 16th team, but if they said we don't need Navy then Cincinnati has maintained a good relationship with the ACC and would be a rival for Louisville and in ND's geographic footprint. If for some reason WVU rehabbed its relationship with the ACC and the academic schools UVA, Duke, UNC, BC allowed FSU and Clemson another sports program over an all around university WVU would probably be the better option than Cincinnati/Navy, but I truly believe the wounds are too deep for WVU to ever get an invitation to the ACC. Finally, UConn has no chance unless 3-4 ACC schools leave and the conference needs a warm body OR ND expresses personal preference to UConn being the 16th team which HIGHLY unlikely.

Don't care. I'll be at both.

Depends on the court location though