The first half of the SU-ND game has been better than any men's game | Syracusefan.com

The first half of the SU-ND game has been better than any men's game

Alsacs

Living Legend
Two top 20 women's basketball teams playing a fun up and down game. Both teams are making shots and playing good defense. That Butler can shoot for the SU WBB team.

Outside of last year's Duke game I can't remember a men's game that has been fun to watch. ND is leading 43-42 at the half. Good luck to the Orange in the 2nd half.

Last edited:
Also I love that the women's team has more orange in their jerseys than the men's team. How does Nike create these uniforms. Give me orange numerals over silver.

As usual, Q is getting out coached big time. SU was up 41-37 and now trail 58-48. ND has dominated the second half.

You must not be watching the second half. ND is up 10. Q has no clue and ND has picked up the intensity and SU can't handle it. 64-53 with 11:08 to go.

I've only been watching off and on. Any update on Sykes injury? I hope she didn't retear it

It doesn't appear good for Sykes hopefully it isn't season ending. Our coach isn't the problem the talent on this team looks good he should get credit for that. Notre Dame is in that 2nd tier behind UConn in women's basketball. This team is fun to watch and I don't expect a NC from them. They are a top 25 program.

Q can recruit. He is building something special up there.

My problem with coach Q is that his teams don't value the ball and they pass the ball all over the place and not always to their teammates. He can recruit guards, but their bigs are weak and not big. ND's bigs pushed them around all afternoon. ND is not at the level they have been the past couple of years. Yes, they are ranked top 5, but they got crushed by UCONN for their only loss. They have been even with UCONN the past few years, but they won't sniff a win against them this year.

Two top 20 women's basketball teams playing a fun up and down game. Both teams are making shots and playing good defense. That Butler can shoot for the SU WBB team.

Outside of last year's Duke game I can't remember a men's game that has been fun to watch. ND is leading 43-42 at the half. Good luck to the Orange in the 2nd half.

How many dunks?

How many dunks?
Dunks aren't needed to enjoy basketball. This game was fun to watch and the game was well played. Obviously when the players don't leave school early you get good team basketball and players develop. Women's BB doesn't have the athletism of the men's game but at the highest level it is well played.

Brittney re-injured the knee. Don't know the extent yet. If anyone hears anything let me know. I just sent her a message of support. I am going to guess she will need an MRI to determine the damage or if just tweaked. She is such a special person, and will be devastated if she can't play again. But she will adjust, and move on to her other dream as a sports broadcaster. If anyone has seen the "Scoop With Sykes" videos she has been doing this year they are very good.

Q always gets out coached. I told the wife before the game started either he will continue with his usual frenetic substitution game plan and ND will overwhelm our lesser players and we will be behind significantly by half time or he will use his better players most of the time and we'll be in the game but will get blown out in the second half as they will either be in foul trouble or exhausted. The latter happened. Q recruits well. We have 3 - 6'4" players and 1 - 6'6" player. The one Day girl, with a little weight could be outstanding and the Witherspoon girl, although used little, could emerge as a player. Why he uses Slim at all puzzles me unless he made her a promise when recruiting her Also the Henderson girl should start and play a lot more . She looks like the best all round player on the team.. And his sideline antics are still an embarrassment . Great to see a good crowd. The girls deserve it.

Q is a very good recruiter, but a horrible coach. I assume that he uses that Read guy as a sort of bench coach, but for the money being pumped into that program, he should have more than one tourney win. Usually his teams fade in March because he wears them down through his style. He should be replaced if he can't get out of the 2nd rd again this year. He pushed to play home games in the Dome and I don't think that atmosphere helps them-there is no home court advantage.

I hope Sykes didn't tear the ACL again- she is probably the most talented player since Nicole Michael. Without her, they will struggle against the best teams.

My problem with coach Q is that his teams don't value the ball and they pass the ball all over the place and not always to their teammates. He can recruit guards, but their bigs are weak and not big. ND's bigs pushed them around all afternoon. ND is not at the level they have been the past couple of years. Yes, they are ranked top 5, but they got crushed by UCONN for their only loss. They have been even with UCONN the past few years, but they won't sniff a win against them this year.

I went to the Cornell game and said pretty much the same thing. All SU lacks is a couple solid young "bigs" in the post who can finish and they would be a top 10 team. They ooze talent at the other positions but get pushed around under the hoop.

As far as Q goes, he should hire a young, up and coming X's and O's guy or gal, not quite ready to HC at the D1 college level but will be in 5 years, who can help him navigate the close games. We are very close to being a routinely ranked team. We just need a couple signature wins and a get over the tournament hump.

Full_Rebar said:
Q is a very good recruiter, but a horrible coach. I assume that he uses that Read guy as a sort of bench coach, but for the money being pumped into that program, he should have more than one tourney win. Usually his teams fade in March because he wears them down through his style. He should be replaced if he can't get out of the 2nd rd again this year. He pushed to play home games in the Dome and I don't think that atmosphere helps them-there is no home court advantage. I hope Sykes didn't tear the ACL again- she is probably the most talented player since Nicole Michael. Without her, they will struggle against the best teams.

This seems unduly harsh. I tried getting past season's records for the team and couldn't but if memory serves prior to Q the team was usually sub 500 and certainly not top 25. And this team has done it largely without their best player and will continue to do so without her if the injury is bad. You don't want much do you? A few years ago the NCAAs themselves would have been a dream come true. Now a loss in the second round is grounds for firing? That's laughable

Outside of last year's Duke game I can't remember a men's game that has been fun to watch. ND is leading 43-42 at the half. Good luck to the Orange in the 2nd half.[/QUOTE

Huh? SU shot 41% in the first half and 30% in the second half and they are shooting 37% for the year.

And Butler made 6 of 20. - which actually improved her season percentage to a very solid 29% from the field. And that is with a smaller ball being shot into the same rim as the men. If she can really shoot, this board owes Cooney an apology for thinking he can't.

And the other posters were correct - Q cannot coach as his record against any halfway respectable team indicates. But that is women's basketball - four good teams and very little else. When the final eight games are constantly 30+ point blow outs the game has issues.

This seems unduly harsh. I tried getting past season's records for the team and couldn't but if memory serves prior to Q the team was usually sub 500 and certainly not top 25. And this team has done it largely without their best player and will continue to do so without her if the injury is bad. You don't want much do you? A few years ago the NCAAs themselves would have been a dream come true. Now a loss in the second round is grounds for firing? That's laughable

Q has been given the benefit of the Melo Center and Dome, a very good salary for a 1st time HC, as well as a dramatically increased budget. In his SU career, he's had more harassment charges than NCAA tournament wins. He's had very good players before Sykes, but hasn't gotten it done. A couple of years they missed the tournament because he scheduled awful OOC opponents and lost out on at-large bids.

It's not laughable to expect a guy who spends a lot of money on his team than the men's program spends to get some results. For all the grief Gait gets about money spent on his program, at least he's delivered results.

the storz sycophants around here must be loving a women hoops thread

It was high scoring for sure. Two athletic teams that know how to score. I didn't see any sign of good defense from either team however. ND at least pressured the ball and got steals sometimes from overplaying the passing lanes. But they let SU beat them off the dribble all game long, and were similarly inept attempting to stop people in the paint.

SU's interior defense was astonishingly bad. They also might be the worst team in the history of basketball attempting to stop a fast break; ND's guards just ran past SU players for easy layups for most of the second half. SU has no idea what they are doing on the defensive side of the ball...this has been a constant problem in the Q era.

Full_Rebar said:
Q has been given the benefit of the Melo Center and Dome, a very good salary for a 1st time HC, as well as a dramatically increased budget. In his SU career, he's had more harassment charges than NCAA tournament wins. He's had very good players before Sykes, but hasn't gotten it done. A couple of years they missed the tournament because he scheduled awful OOC opponents and lost out on at-large bids. It's not laughable to expect a guy who spends a lot of money on his team than the men's program spends to get some results. For all the grief Gait gets about money spent on his program, at least he's delivered results.

Really? I looked up Quentin Hillsman harassment and got one complaint in 2011 which the university investigated and dismissed. As for scheduling bad OOC opponents isn't that what the men's program was perpetually accused of? And that was a couple of years ago. Can't say that of this year. Their four losses were to top 25 teams and two of them by two points including #1 at the time South Carolina. And I want to see numbers to back up that the women's program spends more than the men's. If it's even close it's because Boeheim is very underpaid by coaching standards, not that he seems unhappy about it.

It was high scoring for sure. Two athletic teams that know how to score. I didn't see any sign of good defense from either team however. ND at least pressured the ball and got steals sometimes from overplaying the passing lanes. But they let SU beat them off the dribble all game long, and were similarly inept attempting to stop people in the paint.

SU's interior defense was astonishingly bad. They also might be the worst team in the history of basketball attempting to stop a fast break; ND's guards just ran past SU players for easy layups for most of the second half. SU has no idea what they are doing on the defensive side of the ball...this has been a constant problem in the Q era.

Totally agree, Tomcat. Their zone is turrible. Cornell lit it up.

Really? I looked up Quentin Hillsman harassment and got one complaint in 2011 which the university investigated and dismissed. As for scheduling bad OOC opponents isn't that what the men's program was perpetually accused of? And that was a couple of years ago. Can't say that of this year. Their four losses were to top 25 teams and two of them by two points including #1 at the time South Carolina. And I want to see numbers to back up that the women's program spends more than the men's. If it's even close it's because Boeheim is very underpaid by coaching standards, not that he seems unhappy about it.
Right on point or points. Agree with everything here. For the first time the women's program has been consistently in the top 25. They lost by 2 points to the #1 team. Seriously how can anyone be critical of the strides this program has made? Learn to enjoy something for a change. The program is still growing and going in the right direction.

I thought the game was somewhat exciting to watch.. i would hardly call it good basketball, so many bad decisions with the ball that killed SU and ND made many of the same ones except they shoot a bit better and at least know enough to pass it to the post scorers in good spots once in awhile.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom