The foul calls | Syracusefan.com

The foul calls

IthacaMatt

Old Timer / Unofficial Contributor for 25+ years
In the first half, after we cut the score from a 5 point deficit at 13-8 to 15-13, the refs called fouls on us on 6 of our next 9 defensive possessions, including 2 each on Southerland and Dion. After Dion's second, the next possession they called the foul on Triche, which triggered Boeheim's technical. Five of those fouls were on perimeter players, although I think one of James' was on the inside on the defensive boards.

We reacted well, though - they missed one of the 2 technicals, and then missed a lay-up, and then CJ came down the floor for a dunk that gave us the lead at 25-24. At that point, I thought we had weathered the series of bad calls, and told my wife that we had to push the lead out to at least 5 by halftime. After Keita blocked a shot and got the rebound, Kris went for a dagger three, but it was hurried a bit and missed.

Then, despite being tied at the half even with all those foul calls, the refs started right back in. Two fouls on Christmas in 29 seconds to give him four fouls on 2 minutes into the half, plus another foul on Scoop for good measure.

We went 3 whole defensive possessions without a foul, and then came 3 more in rapid succession, pushing Ohio State's lead out to 10, the biggest of the game, with 13:18 to go.

To go back and read the play-by-play at ESPN.com makes it really apparent how many foul calls there were. Unbelievable.

The charge call on Triche wasn't even close, the defender's foot was half way inside the arc and his other foot was still moving.
I think that was Boeheim's first T of the season and I'm surprised that he was able to control himself and not get another T with the way the game was called.

The charge call on Triche wasn't even close, the defender's foot was half way inside the arc and his other foot was still moving.
I think that was Boeheim's first T of the season and I'm surprised that he was able to control himself and not get another T with the way the game was called.

And in the early second half - Keita was called for a foul when Sullinger stepped on his foot making a post move. No contact at all. The next time down the floor, Sullinger clears Keita out with a shoulder, knocking him to the floor - "play on" and an uncontested layup. Keita's next foul after that stretch (just after Christmas had gotten his 3rd and 4th to open the half) came with him staying on the floor, hands up, while Sullinger turned into his body. All just calls.

Then, despite being tied at the half even with all those foul calls, the refs started right back in. Two fouls on Christmas in 29 seconds to give him four fouls on 2 minutes into the half, plus another foul on Scoop for good measure.

I thought we would be fine in the second half. It seems like when officials really screw up a first half they get their together for the second half. Sometimes that means a correction w/ some equally bad calls in your favor, but at the very least they usually start to call the game in a sane manner.

They did eventually try to make the correction, I do always wonder if it's prompted by someone from the outside, somewhere around the 12:00 mark, but the damage was already done. Our rotation was done, 4 players with 4 fouls...no flow, no ability to guard anyone inside. The whistles helped get us back into it, but not enough.

That being said, we had a few too many turnovers down the stretch to complete the comeback. It's tough to make a big run just to tie the score and then keep it up to pull it out - especially against a team like Ohio State.

I don't know, I just want to see us play with real officials - we might still lose, but at least we would get to watch a basketball game.

Funny thing is, even with the BS fouls, Waiters struggling, Southerland getting 0 PT because of his fouls, we still probably win this game if Smith doesn't go off for 18; that's his 2nd highest point total of the year.

Sullinger was around his average for pts/rebs, Thomas got his, Buford and Craft didn't do much; it was really Smith that killed us.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom