The Fran Brown Show - before Georgia Tech | Syracusefan.com

The Fran Brown Show - before Georgia Tech

SWC75

Bored Historian
AmeriCU Fran Brown Show Debuts Thursday - Syracuse University Athletics
(This has their schedule for the season)

The show originates from Heritage Hill Brewery in Jamesville:
3149 Sweet Rd · 3149 Sweet Rd, Jamesville, NY 13078

You can catch the show on TK99/105 locally, Cuse.com and the 'Cuse App, You can also get it on: https://tunein.com/radio/home/ or https://cuse.com/watch/?Live=6944&type=Live . Fans are invited to participate in the show by calling 888-7Go-Cuse, (1-888-746-2873), or 424-8599 or on twitter (@CuseLearfield) with the hashtag #AskFran or through Cuse.com, (the SU Athletic website): Submit a Question! - Syracuse University Athletics.
And the half-hour follow-up on Twitch will turn up on You-Tube later that evening, (we hope).
Cuse Sports Talk

My Question(s) or Comments (or theories)

Coach, I want to congratulate you and your team for getting your head coaching career off to a great start.

We used to have a sportswriter around here named Bud Poliquin, (now retired), who liked to remind fans that “The other team has 11 guys out there and they are trying to win the game, too.” His meaning was that you can’t evaluate your team until you give the other team credit for what they did.

I saw bad angles and missed tackles against Ohio U. but I also saw some well-designed plays, hard running and good cutbacks against the pursuit. Their quarterback was a dual threat and #2 looked pretty good. How does the Bobcat running attack compare to what we’re going to see against Georgia Tech and the other ACC teams?

For the twitch segment:

Coach, your staff has a head coach, an associate head coach, an assistant head coach, an Offensive coordinator and a co-coordinator, the same on defense and quality control people and analysts for the offense and defense. What do all these titles mean? Who makes the calls and do they do it from the booth or the sidelines?

The Show
(Since both the show and the Twitch segment were available the same evening the first time out this year, as long as that’s the case, I’m going to just focus on the highlights, including the answers to my questions. I sometimes re-arrange the comments so that statements made on the same subject are reported together, even if they came at different points of the show.)

First the answers to my two questions:

Q1 Fran Brown: “(Ohio U.) had a good day. They did a good job. They have a really good coach. He used to be an offensive line coach. Their running back had a really good day. He can play anywhere. Georgia Tech is different. Styles make fights. Our guys dove to the ground at times. There were gaps, bad angles and bad tacking. We do tackling in practice. This week is one more step. You can’t do arm tackling. I allowed bad tackling last week…Georgia Tech is the kind of game I like. Both teams have had time to prepare and may the best man win.” Matt Park: “Coaches like that type of game. The team that plays the best wins.” FB: Their coach coached an amazing game. I told him that he out-coached me at some points. But we had the better players and we won in the end.” He said there was no sense of panic when SU fell behind. “Continue to do the job the right way and good things will happen.”

Q2 FB: “Coordinators make the calls.” Regarding the “associate head coach”, “co-coordinator” titles: “Those guys are good coaches and they are trying to move up in their careers. Nuncio, Elijah and Mike Johnson are all going to be head coaches someday. They earned it. The people coming up (under them), are learning it the same way.”

In other words, It’s similar to the ‘brevet’ rank in the military where people were ‘promoted’ to a higher rank and got to call themselves that even after the war as an acknowledgement of their service and their deeds, even if they, in fact were not actually given the responsibility of the higher rank. Brevet (military) - Wikipedia

Other highlights:

Coach said he felt more nervous this week, “trying to keep the players locked in and the fans happy…it’s not about the opponent. It’s about us.

Jay from Baldwinsville asked how many former players had addressed the team. Matt and the coach talked about being contacted by LARRY Csonka, even though he was “far away”. They’ve also been spoken to by Coach Coughlin.

Mark in New York City asked the Coach what his approach to challenging calls was: why didn’t he challenge the call on the Chestnut interception? FB: “I called a time out to give them a chance to review it, [?!?] Everybody said he was in bounds. This week it will be an all ACC crew. It will be big boy football….At least we were able to work on our goal line defense. We gave up three field goals. Ot might have been 21 points…We needed to get off the field on third down to set up the momentum.”

“Lequint is our hardest working player. He plays for his family, and for his father, RIP.”

On McCord: MP: “How do you coach a guy who makes it look easy?” FB: “There were lings he left on the field. He’s his biggest critic.” On his running: “he needs to be able to do something when you need somethings good.”

On losing Marlowe Wax: “James Heard, Anwar (Sparrow) and Derek (McDonald) have to step up. And Marlowe ahs to step up his game as a leader.” MP: Do you have to sell him on that role?” FB: He’s still accountable. He’s still got to show for meetings on time.” Who will step up the most on D? “Fadil Diggs.”

On defensive backs coach Joe Schaefer: “You don’t want to leave the room unless you’re leaving someone in charge who knows what he’s doing”. Schaefer said he came here “to work for one of the best”. He enjoys the “scrutiny and partnership” of coaching under a man who had been a defensive backs coach. He likes the fact that SU had five guys who have played a lot and that they’ve added Devin Grant and Clarence Lewis who also have a lot of experience. They have “eye discipline. They don’t get bored. If you do everything you are supposed to do before the play starts you have a chance to make a play.”

On Georgia Tech: Haynes King: “He runs and that we want him to do. We will try to keep him contained…They are high-powered and courageous. They will throw the deep ball. They like to take their shots. They run a lot of blitzes.” On Coach Key’s comments [?]: We’ll see what happens on Saturday.

On the Dome atmosphere compared to the SEC: “It was a lot better than the spring game. At Georgia we could seat 78,000. At Tennessee, it’s over 100,000. We can’t do that. But in the Dome the crowd can sound like it’s 100,000.”

Trivia: Coach Brown loves basketball and feels he could score 35 points on Dabo Swinney. Fran’s favorite sports other than football are boxing, basketball, track, NASCAR, tennis and soccer. Anwar Sparrow has the worst music on the team. “He doesn’t know how to put it together.” Coach is into 50 cent Tarriq, (spelling?) and somebody else I’d never heard of. His favorite movies? He’s into Power, which is a TV series and “Friday” and “Friday After Next”. He also likes Christmas movies, which he begins watching at Thanksgiving.

He idolizes Derrick Coleman from when he played for the 76ers. Felicia Leggette Jack has become a mentor to him.

Lmao those are some goofy movies
1725597562539.gif

AmeriCU Fran Brown Show Debuts Thursday - Syracuse University Athletics
(This has their schedule for the season)

The show originates from Heritage Hill Brewery in Jamesville:
3149 Sweet Rd · 3149 Sweet Rd, Jamesville, NY 13078

You can catch the show on TK99/105 locally, Cuse.com and the 'Cuse App, You can also get it on: https://tunein.com/radio/home/ or https://cuse.com/watch/?Live=6944&type=Live . Fans are invited to participate in the show by calling 888-7Go-Cuse, (1-888-746-2873), or 424-8599 or on twitter (@CuseLearfield) with the hashtag #AskFran or through Cuse.com, (the SU Athletic website): Submit a Question! - Syracuse University Athletics.
And the half-hour follow-up on Twitch will turn up on You-Tube later that evening, (we hope).
Cuse Sports Talk

My Question(s) or Comments (or theories)

Coach, I want to congratulate you and your team for getting your head coaching career off to a great start.

We used to have a sportswriter around here named Bud Poliquin, (now retired), who liked to remind fans that “The other team has 11 guys out there and they are trying to win the game, too.” His meaning was that you can’t evaluate your team until you give the other team credit for what they did.

I saw bad angles and missed tackles against Ohio U. but I also saw some well-designed plays, hard running and good cutbacks against the pursuit. Their quarterback was a dual threat and #2 looked pretty good. How does the Bobcat running attack compare to what we’re going to see against Georgia Tech and the other ACC teams?

For the twitch segment:

Coach, your staff has a head coach, an associate head coach, an assistant head coach, an Offensive coordinator and a co-coordinator, the same on defense and quality control people and analysts for the offense and defense. What do all these titles mean? Who makes the calls and do they do it from the booth or the sidelines?

The Show
(Since both the show and the Twitch segment were available the same evening the first time out this year, as long as that’s the case, I’m going to just focus on the highlights, including the answers to my questions. I sometimes re-arrange the comments so that statements made on the same subject are reported together, even if they came at different points of the show.)

First the answers to my two questions:

Q1 Fran Brown: “(Ohio U.) had a good day. They did a good job. They have a really good coach. He used to be an offensive line coach. Their running back had a really good day. He can play anywhere. Georgia Tech is different. Styles make fights. Our guys dove to the ground at times. There were gaps, bad angles and bad tacking. We do tackling in practice. This week is one more step. You can’t do arm tackling. I allowed bad tackling last week…Georgia Tech is the kind of game I like. Both teams have had time to prepare and may the best man win.” Matt Park: “Coaches like that type of game. The team that plays the best wins.” FB: Their coach coached an amazing game. I told him that he out-coached me at some points. But we had the better players and we won in the end.” He said there was no sense of panic when SU fell behind. “Continue to do the job the right way and good things will happen.”

Q2 FB: “Coordinators make the calls.” Regarding the “associate head coach”, “co-coordinator” titles: “Those guys are good coaches and they are trying to move up in their careers. Nuncio, Elijah and Mike Johnson are all going to be head coaches someday. They earned it. The people coming up (under them), are learning it the same way.”

In other words, It’s similar to the ‘brevet’ rank in the military where people were ‘promoted’ to a higher rank and got to call themselves that even after the war as an acknowledgement of their service and their deeds, even if they, in fact were not actually given the responsibility of the higher rank. Brevet (military) - Wikipedia

Other highlights:

Coach said he felt more nervous this week, “trying to keep the players locked in and the fans happy…it’s not about the opponent. It’s about us.

Jay from Baldwinsville asked how many former players had addressed the team. Matt and the coach talked about being contacted by LARRY Csonka, even though he was “far away”. They’ve also been spoken to by Coach Coughlin.

Mark in New York City asked the Coach what his approach to challenging calls was: why didn’t he challenge the call on the Chestnut interception? FB: “I called a time out to give them a chance to review it, [?!?] Everybody said he was in bounds. This week it will be an all ACC crew. It will be big boy football….At least we were able to work on our goal line defense. We gave up three field goals. Ot might have been 21 points…We needed to get off the field on third down to set up the momentum.”

“Lequint is our hardest working player. He plays for his family, and for his father, RIP.”

On McCord: MP: “How do you coach a guy who makes it look easy?” FB: “There were lings he left on the field. He’s his biggest critic.” On his running: “he needs to be able to do something when you need somethings good.”

On losing Marlowe Wax: “James Heard, Anwar (Sparrow) and Derek (McDonald) have to step up. And Marlowe ahs to step up his game as a leader.” MP: Do you have to sell him on that role?” FB: He’s still accountable. He’s still got to show for meetings on time.” Who will step up the most on D? “Fadil Diggs.”

On defensive backs coach Joe Schaefer: “You don’t want to leave the room unless you’re leaving someone in charge who knows what he’s doing”. Schaefer said he came here “to work for one of the best”. He enjoys the “scrutiny and partnership” of coaching under a man who had been a defensive backs coach. He likes the fact that SU had five guys who have played a lot and that they’ve added Devin Grant and Clarence Lewis who also have a lot of experience. They have “eye discipline. They don’t get bored. If you do everything you are supposed to do before the play starts you have a chance to make a play.”

On Georgia Tech: Haynes King: “He runs and that we want him to do. We will try to keep him contained…They are high-powered and courageous. They will throw the deep ball. They like to take their shots. They run a lot of blitzes.” On Coach Key’s comments [?]: We’ll see what happens on Saturday.

On the Dome atmosphere compared to the SEC: “It was a lot better than the spring game. At Georgia we could seat 78,000. At Tennessee, it’s over 100,000. We can’t do that. But in the Dome the crowd can sound like it’s 100,000.”

Trivia: Coach Brown loves basketball and feels he could score 35 points on Dabo Swinney. Fran’s favorite sports other than football are boxing, basketball, track, NASCAR, tennis and soccer. Anwar Sparrow has the worst music on the team. “He doesn’t know how to put it together.” Coach is into 50 cent Tarriq, (spelling?) and somebody else I’d never heard of. His favorite movies? He’s into Power, which is a TV series and “Friday” and “Friday After Next”. He also likes Christmas movies, which he begins watching at Thanksgiving.

He idolizes Derrick Coleman from when he played for the 76ers. Felicia Leggette Jack has become a mentor to him.

Thanks for the recap.

Styles make fights is good. I know it’s easy to look at GT and just see another running team, but Ohio’s RB is HUGE.

GT has different RB personnel. Smaller. This won’t be apples to apples.

Maybe GT can run, but I’ll keep shouting this: McCord, OG, LQA, Haynes, Pena and Meeks.

I wouldn’t be surprised if at least three of those guys were all ACC at the end of the year and I know at least one will be an AA.

GT has played an imploding FSU team with a terrible QB and an FCS team. And no true road game.

Friday is a great movie choice. And you have to be a serious DC fan if you are rooting for him starting in Philly, lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rocketjcat

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom