The Fran Brown Show - Before Holy Cross | Syracusefan.com

The Fran Brown Show - Before Holy Cross

SWC75

Bored Historian
AmeriCU Fran Brown Show Debuts Thursday - Syracuse University Athletics
(This has their schedule for the season)

The show originates from Heritage Hill Brewery in Jamesville:
3149 Sweet Rd · 3149 Sweet Rd, Jamesville, NY 13078

You can catch the show on TK99/105 locally, Cuse.com and the 'Cuse App, You can also get it on: https://tunein.com/radio/home/ or https://cuse.com/watch/?Live=6944&type=Live . Fans are invited to participate in the show by calling 888-7Go-Cuse, (1-888-746-2873), or 424-8599 or on twitter (@CuseLearfield) with the hashtag #AskFran or through Cuse.com, (the SU Athletic website): Submit a Question! - Syracuse University Athletics.
And the half-hour follow-up on Twitch will turn up on You-Tube later that evening, (we hope).
Cuse Sports Talk

My Question(s) or Comments (or theories)

Coach, a couple of shows ago you said your best recruiter was Benjamin Franklin, who’s face is on the 100 dollar bill. Now Matthew Sluka has left the UNLV team because he says an assistant coach promised him something the head coach says was not promised. I had thought schools were not supposed to be controlling NIL money. Who decides who gets what and how can a coach make sure his players get what they thought they were going to get?

For the twitch segment:

Coach, everybody has talked about our defense on the 4th and 9 play. Brent Axe pointed out that if we had double-covered Ayomanor it would have involved the safety coming in from the inside and that was an outside, back shoulder throw so the double coverage might not have prevented the play. But wouldn’t double coverage put the cornerback on the outside of the receiver?

The Show
(Since both the show and the Twitch segment were available the same evening the first time out this year, as long as that’s the case, I’m going to just focus on the highlights, including the answers to my questions. I sometimes re-arrange the comments so that statements made on the same subject are reported together, even if they came at different points of the show.)

First the answers to my questions:

Q1 Fran said he’s “not sure how things are handled elsewhere. There have been rule changes that allow the coaches to be involved with the process to protect the players. We are allowed to now. Now the NCAA is getting involved. WE don’t have that issue here. We do whatever we say we do. There’s no gray area. Assistant coaches aren’t allowed to tell anyone what they’ll get. They won’t be assistants here anymore if they do. We believe in vertical alignment. “

Matt Park noted that a second UNLV player had left the team, invoking his redshirt, Michael Allen, their third leading rusher with 108 yards in 3 games. Allen said this was due not to NIL problems but “lack of opportunity”. FB: “You’ve got to prepare for it. We rotate guys to give them all a chance to play. I can’t tell them to redshirt. I do what’s best for the team. Telling them the truth tends to relax them, although some are delusional, as I am when I think I’m in great shape and look in the mirror.”

Later, in the Twitch segment, I asked why redshirts are allowed to play four games. FB: “It helps with the team, with injuries, It helps players not want to go to other school as they get a taste of it. The first game their next year, they don’t say “Wow, I’ve never done this before!” [It seems to me it makes it more likely players will leave in the middle of the season to preserve their eligibility. I have never understood the reasons for the current rule.]

Q2 This was a train wreck. Fran said at the beginning of the Twitch segment that he was tried of talking about the Stanford game. “They got more points than us.” So I was stuck with a question about the Stanford game, and more specifically, what would double coverage look like? I waited until halfway through the show and then posted it. Gomez took a brief look at it and described it as “a general question about the 4th and 9 game”, which it certainly wasn’t. From Fran’s initial comment, it probably wouldn’t have gotten much of a response anyway. As it was he just said “he guy caught the ball. It’s all on Coach Fran”. [Dino would have launched into some story to avoid the question. Fran just tells you he doesn’t want to answer it.] Fortunately, SUDadx2 gave a pretty good response in the “My Questions” for tonight’s Fran Brown Show thread. The experienced underlined how disgusted Coach is with what happened last week. He might have to get used it at Syracuse but I hope he doesn’t.

Coach said he took 15-16 minutes to get there, which gave him a chance to call a recruit. Coaching never ends, it seems. He opened the show by saying “You know who you are when you get knocked down. Everyone had to take their medicine from the coaches on down. Wallowing in film isn’t selfish but there’s got to be a time limit. Live and learn, Regret it and move on…The pads were really popping in practice.”

Michael in Manlius asked the coach if he relied on experience or on thought ‘philosophy’ more to come to his conclusions and pass them along to others. Mike said that Jesus was the one person who fully combined both. Fran said that he’s praying his sons – and his plays- don’t make the mistakes he did. “If you go through something you’re more likely to tell people about it than if you just thought about it.” Fran said he’d become involved with Bookbuddies because he wanted to “touch on things I wasn’t strong on growing up.”

He said that his mentors told him “Don’t let Stanford beat you twice.” Matt said that “You have to compartmentalize the loss.” Kathleen at the restaurant asked about his pre-game rituals: he talks to his wife and prays. He predicted “We’re not starting slow. “I’ll be bananas out there. We need a great kickoff a big hit, a 3 and out. There’s nothing like starting off with a 3 and out.” [Expect him to defer if he gets the coin flip consistently. ]

They talked briefly about homecoming. Fran said that parents have to understand that they are now entering the students world and that they have to learn how to fit into it. Either that or go out and eat somewhere. They will make Holy Cross a sell-out game, with the student section being full. “That will be our overtime end zone”. He’s impressed with the noise level in the Dome. “It’s like no other. There’s no difference between this and the SEC. The Dome is electrifying. You can’t hear yourself talk. They got us a couple of penalties on their own.”

Coach likes Noon games because he can get home early and get in his pool with his daughter, “regardless of the weather”. But he complained that the project of building took to long and he’ll looked for another carpenter next time. [Hopefully there’s won’t be a next time – he’ll be using that pool for a long time.]

He insists that we are going to finally break through with the running attack in this game. “LeQuint Allen is a great athlete and he’s going to run the ball. We have a running back and an offensive line and the coaches to put them in position to succeed and we’re going to run the ball.” He also praised Trebor Pena as “becoming one of the best slots in college football”. Zeed Haynes is still unavailable. He likes that “Kyle (McCord) is all about spreading the ball around.” Gomez asked him if Kyle would get his fourth straight 300 yard passing game. FB: “That would be cool. But I just want to win.” Justus Ross Simmons is “working his way back. He had to come back and compete. We’ll see some of them this week.” On the depth chart changes: “You are going to compete every day. Each week is a different season. The game is where you audition before everyone.”

If Fran could change one thing about college football what would it be? “Everyone gets the same amount of money. But it’s not going to happen.”

“Edge” coach Nick Williams came on Fran said what he wants from the D-Line is “no big plays…When you give up a big play, it may be due to (wandering), eyes, scheme or sometimes they just beat you.” Matt noted that that 67 yarder to Hatcher was our only pass for more than 20 yards in the game. [I have a 32 yarder and a 24 yarder in my ‘winning plays’.] Coach Willaims was hoarse from practice., He said that was “an everyday thing”. He met Fran on a train after being recommended by Elijah Robinson. “Wow, what a guy! He’s hard nosed and tells the absolute truth . I’m a lot like him. Players take on the personality of their position coach.” He said that Fadil Diggs “does what’s best for the team – he sets an example.” and that he, (Coach Wiliams) coaches him even when he plays linebacker.

Holy Cross is 1-3 but the three losses have been by 11 points. Joe Pesansky is their new quarterback (56/89, 60.67%, 906 yards 4TD 1int.). Leading rusher Jordan Fuller is out for the year with an injury. Jordan Clerveaux took over for him and scored 3TDs vs. Yale. He’s 36/131/4 for the year. Matt: They have this game circled on their calendar.” HCFB: “So do we. We circle all of them.”

The coaching staff listens to Sinatra every day. “My Way”.

Maybe that’s the answer to my second question.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseVegas

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom