The Fran Brown Show - Before UNLV | Syracusefan.com

The Fran Brown Show - Before UNLV

SWC75

Bored Historian
AmeriCU Fran Brown Show Debuts Thursday - Syracuse University Athletics
(This has their schedule for the season)

The show originates from Heritage Hill Brewery in Jamesville:
3149 Sweet Rd · 3149 Sweet Rd, Jamesville, NY 13078

You can catch the show on TK99/105 locally, Cuse.com and the 'Cuse App, You can also get it on: https://tunein.com/radio/home/ or https://cuse.com/watch/?Live=6944&type=Live . Fans are invited to participate in the show by calling 888-7Go-Cuse, (1-888-746-2873), or 424-8599 or on twitter (@CuseLearfield) with the hashtag #AskFran or through Cuse.com, (the SU Athletic website): Submit a Question! - Syracuse University Athletics.
And the half-hour follow-up on Twitch will turn up on You-Tube later that evening, (we hope).
Cuse Sports Talk

My Question(s) or Comments (or theories)

“Coach, when facing adversity, a team comes apart or they come together. Off the Fresno State game, I’d say UNLV came together. Against Holy Cross, our team seemed to lose focus and you had to make a detailed, accountable, relentless and tough halftime speech. We were better in the second half but still make mistakes. Have you gotten through to this team yet? Does it take a while to get everyone DART? Can our team rise up to the level that UNLV will be at?”

For the twitch segment:

“Coach, two players we thought were going to be big factors on each side of the ball were Oronde Gadsden and Fadil Diggs. Oronde had 1 catch against Holy Cross and 2 against Stanford, and several drops. Fadil had no tackles against the Crusaders. What can we do to get them going?”

Also:

“Coach, how do we deal with the UNLV offense, which seems a lot like the one we used back in the George DeLeone Era? It requires horizontal discipline and yet deep coverage.”

The Show
(Since both the show and the Twitch segment were available the same evening the first time out this year, as long as that’s the case, I’m going to just focus on the highlights, including the answers to my questions. I sometimes re-arrange the comments so that statements made on the same subject are reported together, even if they came at different points of the show.)

First the answers to my questions:

Q1- “It takes more than 9 months to build a program. You can get money with good players but it normally takes a year or a year and half to build a true culture, just as it would be in a business. The kids are doing a good job becoming men…UNLV did a good job. Yours was a real football talk question. If you sat down with me and I broke down the film, I could point out a lot of things. I know we have to win games to make guys like yourself happy…I’m very competitive.” [Applause]

I’m not sure what to make of this. Is he telling me (us) not to expect too much at this stage? Is he telling us that he saw some things in the UNLV films that SU can exploit to pull off this win? I guess we’ll find out Friday night.

Q2 – “We won last week. It would be cool if those guys do what they did and we win every game this season. They doubled Fadil and that opened it up for the other guys.”

So both Oronde and Fadil are unproductive because they are being doubled and that makes the other guys productive. The problem I have with this is that all great players receive special attention from the other teams but they still make their presence felt. It seems like a standard response. Both guys can be moved around and used in different ways to avoid the double-teams.

Q3 – “Stay focused, keep your eyes on the job and communicate.” He added that “Their biggest strength is that they play together. Their football coach, (Barry Odom), keeps them focused. Haij (Malik Williams) is a good football player. (WR) Ricky White They have a real good system.” Matt said the Rebels have “togetherness”. Fran said “I’m just focused on Syracuse Our quarterback is doing a good job.”

I’m just very nervous about this one. I remember Scot Shafer, who had been a great defensive coach, losing 0-56 to Georgia Tech’s triple option in 2013 and Dino Baber’s nationally ranked team playing in slow motion against Maryland, (20-63), in 2019. I hope we don’t see something like that. [And I hope Coach Brown puts that on the blackboard.]

Other highlights:

Matt suggested that Kyle McCord was “his own worst critic”. Coach agreed and added that “He’s with the coaching staff from 9:30-10 every night. Today, he had his offensive line with him. Only 5-6 guys in the country can do what he does. He understands why we make the calls we do and what the defense is doing.”

The defense “started well in the first quarter, slowed down and picked it up in the second half. We need to go from Good to Great – that was a best seller”.
Good to Great - Wikipedia
Matt asked “What creates a lull?” “Drive killers: flags in the red zone, missing field goals…” And busted coverages.

Coach said he didn’t see much of the Alabama-Georgia game, a re-run of which was on TV at the restaurant. He watched the “whole UNLV game, then clips of it, first the defensive ones, then the offensive ones, even some from last year. I like whoever created all that technology.”

He said they “don’t bring everybody” on a road trip but they tell the players who are left behind that they will be playing for this team and they are students who need to keep up with their studies and “represent the ‘S’.”

Some true freshmen played: “KingJoseph Edwards and Davien Kerr were great. [I thought he said PJ Long – I assume that was Braheem Long], Greg DeLaine [who is a sophomore], Josh Kubala was one of the first guys down on kick-off returns, as was Clay Masters. I don’t pay attention to scholarship vs. walk-on. Effort doesn’t require talent. The name on your back is you family name. and the S is on the front.” [Actually, the side.] Matt noted that Oronde Gadsden was playing on the punt team. Coach said it’s a mixture of veterans and younger players. “You need a mix to have a ‘special’ team. He said the only think wrong with the special teams was the place-kicking. “Everything else is getting better”. Three guys are now competing to be our place kicker.

Marlow Wax was “out jogging today. He’s moving around in the pool. He’s not 100% but pushing through a lot of mandatory treatments. He has to be able to protect himself. He’s showing plenty of leadership. He was hollering at some guys today.” Will Nixon is “hobbled a bit”

Kaleigh from Dewitt asked how Justin Barron is doing as a linebacker. FB: “He’s a natural fit. He’s a great athlete and a natural football player. He’s got the height and the weight. Derek McDonald and James Heard played well. ‘Bell Atlantic’, [Jason Bellamy: Bell Atlantic renamed itself as ‘Verizon’], too it [an interception], back all the way. That made me real happy.”

A restaurant patron asked who on the team might become future coaches. FB: “A bunch of them. Will Nixon wants to be a coach. So does Braylen Ingraham. This is something you can always get into if you have played the game. This is a calling for you. It depended on what kind of father or husband you are.”

He was asked who had been brought in to talk to the team this season. Jim Tressel, former Ohio State coach who was once on Dick McPherson’s staff and David Falk, Michael Jordan’s agent who graduated here and funded the David Falk College of Sport and Human Dynamics at SU. FB: “Our door is always open but I need to know whether you are a class guy and what you are going to say.”

Coach said he doesn’t give out game balls. “I acknowledge success.”

He doesn’t talk to other coaches on the recruiting trail. “We’re supposed to be competing. If someone asks what places I’d been to on this trip and I’ve been to 6 places, I tell them 3.”

Someone in the Chat on the Gomez segment asked if there are any potential basketball players on the football team. He said “No They aren’t as good as they think they are.” I suggested they go one-on-one with Fran before trying out with Red Autry. Fran did say that there are some guys in next year’s class who might be able to make the basketball team.

They brought on Brian Kelly, SU’s Director of Football Operations, who sees his job as “putting our players in a position to be successful”. [I assume everyone in the Athletic Department of SU would say the same thing.) In Brian’s case, that’s supplying hydration testing and compression socks for the plane ride. Gomez later told Coach Brown he’d heard it was a bad thing to take your shoes off on a plane because your feet expand without your shoes and it then becomes difficult to put them back on. Coach had never heard that and said that he always takes his shoes off to be comfortable. Brian also arranges where the team is to stay, eat and practice. He said the arrangements for this trip and the California trip later in the season will be similar. On that one, the hotel will be somewhere in Oakland.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CB277777

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom