the game completely changed when Ollie went small | Syracusefan.com

the game completely changed when Ollie went small

Boeheim would stay in the zone using the same 6 guys

Yeah, that's partly what I was driving at. Many coaches would stick to "what they do".

I wonder how many even remember how we went man to man or pressed to completely change the game in some of our biggest wins in 2003.(Pitt, ND, Oklahoma St.)

Rather than just sit on what wasn't working and hope the game changes, he decided to flip the script by going small and increasing ball pressure all over the floor.
In addition to that, I think it was offensive-driven as well. Early on, Florida was double-teaming Nappier whenever he touched it, no matter how far out he was. Without more guard help, their offense was going nowhere...they had maybe 3 or 4 good possessions the first 8 minutes or so.

Rather than just sit on what wasn't working and hope the game changes, he decided to flip the script by going small and increasing ball pressure all over the floor.
This is a very good point

Interestingly enough the only national championship we have was where we switched between zone and man most of any year I've seen Syracuse play. Ironically, after the NC somehow the media jumped on the fact that the zone won it for us and JB has been 100% zone since.

Interestingly enough the only national championship we have was where we switched between zone and man most of any year I've seen Syracuse play. Ironically, after the NC somehow the media jumped on the fact that the zone won it for us and JB has been 100% zone since.

The zone did get an outsized amount of credit for 2003.

The zone was a large factor in beating Oklahoma, for sure. But it had little to do with the Texas and Kansas wins.

But I wouldn't say Boeheim was 100% zone since. We went man to man at times in the Flynn/Harris years, notably in the comeback win over Kansas. I think since the Lemoyne exhibition loss we've been 100% zone.

JB will never abandon the zone since he has become so closely identified with it. Our zone has given him a certain cachet, and since he is very averse to change, you can bet things will continue as they are for the foreseeable future.
The zone did get an outsized amount of credit for 2003.

The zone was a large factor in beating Oklahoma, for sure. But it had little to do with the Texas and Kansas wins.

But I wouldn't say Boeheim was 100% zone since. We went man to man at times in the Flynn/Harris years, notably in the comeback win over Kansas. I think since the Lemoyne exhibition loss we've been 100% zone.

I know we love everything JB here but there is a time in every coaches life when despite all the good they have done that it is time for them to move on. Legal issues aside we saw that with JoePa along with coaches like Bobby Bowden, Bobby Knight, etc ..

I am not saying it is or isn't JB's time to hang them up but imo it is a topic worth discussion without people shutting it down as being ludicrous.

JB will never abandon the zone since he has become so closely identified with it. Our zone has given him a certain cachet, and since he is very averse to change, you can bet things will continue as they are for the foreseeable future.

It should be noted though, that our last 5 years where has gone 100% zone have been one of our most successful 5 year periods ever.

Their resurgence also occurred when Deandre Daniels started to be a force. He scored 22 points total through 4 games in late February to early March. The last 4 games in the NCAA's he's scored 70 points in total.

Who would have guessed that UConn would win with Shabazz taking only 6 shots against Florida?

I think people are going way overboard here on ripping JB. So now JB, Coach K etc now stink? Remember UConn's man-to-man beat Florida's man-to-man and Michigan's man-to-man on and on. If one thing kept us in games this year it was our defense.

I know we love everything JB here but there is a time in every coaches life when despite all the good they have done that it is time for them to move on. Legal issues aside we saw that with JoePa along with coaches like Bobby Bowden, Bobby Knight, etc ..

I am not saying it is or isn't JB's time to hang them up but imo it is a topic worth discussion without people shutting it down as being ludicrous.

Bobby Knight' program got significantly worse for like his last decade at Indiana. Boeheim's program has been in a golden age!

I have my complaints about certain things, but big picture-wise? Everything still looks good to me.

Their resurgence also occurred when Deandre Daniels started to be a force. He scored 22 points total through 4 games in late February to early March. The last 4 games in the NCAA's he's scored 70 points in total.

Who would have guessed that UConn would win with Shabazz taking only 6 shots against Florida?

I think people are going way overboard here on ripping JB. So now JB, Coach K etc now stink? Remember UConn's man-to-man beat Florida's man-to-man and Michigan's man-to-man on and on. If one thing kept us in games this year it was our defense.

Why is it always considered a "ripping" when someone brings up a critique? I mean let's face it--in our current athlete first, zone system it is next to impossible to string together 6 passable offensive games (without random guy on other team going off) in a row against NCAA caliber teams.

Bobby Knight' program got significantly worse for like his last decade at Indiana. Boeheim's program has been in a golden age!

I have my complaints about certain things, but big picture-wise? Everything still looks good to me.
Amen.
Personally, I've had issues w/ Jb's bench and substitution philosophies long before this year and UConn's run. The zone is also not the issue, IMO- it's served us well and will continue to do so.
But this idea that we need to can JB or make wholesale changes, is ludicrous, IMO.
UConn may win their 4th, or PayPal may win his 2nd- I could care less either way. I want to see another championship and am concerned whether JB can get it. However, he still gives us the best chance to do it & he more than deserves the benefit of the doubt.
Let's not get ridiculous w/ our disappointment. Program-wise we're still in a better overall position than UCONN, and in the same conversation w/ the 2nd tier elite programs. Next year can't get here soon enough!

Last edited:
Why is it always considered a "ripping" when someone brings up a critique? I mean let's face it--in our current athlete first, zone system it is next to impossible to string together 6 passable offensive games (without random guy on other team going off) in a row against NCAA caliber teams.

We were in the final 4 last year and were maybe a bad offensive foul call away from playing for the championship. Next to impossible?

And some of you act like our offense has been broken for a decade. 2012 team was explosive. That wasn't that lomg ago!

What is wrong with pointing out that it was the offense that was the issue this year - not the defense? People have critiqued Cooney - well is Trevor, even Ennis what you describe as the prototypical athlete first- zone player? Even CJ was he? Just trying to be fair in my criticism. I'm no polyanna and I'm no chicken little either. There doesn't seem to be much room anymore for people like me in discussions.

We were in the final 4 last year and were maybe a bad offensive foul call away from playing for the championship. Next to impossible?

And some of you act like our offense has been broken for a decade. 2012 team was explosive. That wasn't that lomg ago!

Final Four does not equal championship. 4 wins does not equal 6.

If we want to be the power program that some here claim we are, we need more championships. Sorry to say it, but elite 8s and final fours are merely a tease.

What is wrong with pointing out that it was the offense that was the issue this year - not the defense? People have critiqued Cooney - well is Trevor, even Ennis what you describe as the prototypical athlete first- zone player? Even CJ was he? Just trying to be fair in my criticism. I'm no polyanna and I'm no chicken little either. There doesn't seem to be much room anymore for people like me in discussions.
On the contrary I think 'people like you' are the ones I enjoy conversing with on the board. The board is just like american politics...there are 20% on one side (JB is genius and can do no wrong, Cooney is Ray Allen, etcetc), there are 20% on the other side (JB is an idiot, Cooney is D3), and there are 60% in the middle. And, like in politics, the fringes are the loudest.

Re your point - I think an argument can be made that the zone actually does affect our offense because it limits your lineup flexibility and allows your opponent to dictate tempo.

The timing of this rash of critiques and questioning JB is all wrapped up in the last 10 games, throwing out the last 5 years where we've been the best maybe in our history.

It's frankly the same argument that gets regurgitated every bunch of years. It's more fun to rip than support I guess. I'm just going to enjoy him while he's here. It might be hard to replicate the last 30+ years.

The timing of this rash of critiques and questioning JB is all wrapped up in the last 10 games, throwing out the last 5 years where we've been the best maybe in our history.

It's frankly the same argument that gets regurgitated every bunch of years. It's more fun to rip than support I guess. I'm just going to enjoy him while he's here. It might be hard to replicate the last 30+ years.
This is the type of unfair conclusion that often leads to the long drawn out exchanges found on this forum. Pointing out flaws and issues with which one disagrees, does not constitute a "rip"- and shouldn't rule out the fact that we all support the program.
Again, JB is not God...he's a coach who has his failings and frailities- some of which were readily exposed this past year. Lets stop with the overly dramatic rhetoric...criticism does not automatically constitute a "rip". Sheesh! :bang:

Attachments

• banghead[1].gif
    banghead[1].gif
    914 bytes · Views: 76
Final Four does not equal championship. 4 wins does not equal 6.

If we want to be the power program that some here claim we are, we need more championships. Sorry to say it, but elite 8s and final fours are merely a tease.

Which programs are power programs? If you don't believe we are, then realistically the only power programs over the last ten years are Louisville, Kentucky, Connecticut, Duke, UNC, Florida and Kansas.

Watch it, that's close to blasphemy.
Donovan put bench players in as he has all year. You would have thought that the playing time would have prepared them for this occurrence. Amazingly those 8, 9 and 10 players led to the downfall of the game for Florida. They got taken to the cleaners immediately and gave UConn the first steps in recovering from their bad start. Florida was never the same after UConn got their confidence back. This was a direct result of playing more than 5.5, 6, 6.5 or 7 bench players or whatever.

Bottom line, the game turned as soon as the subs for Florida got playing time. Thats exactly when the tide changed. The going small happened after their bigs got into deep foul trouble.

It didn't help that the Florida team couldn't hit the side of a barn door after the hot start. Guess the bench rests didn't help them much.

This is the type of unfair conclusion that often leads to the long drawn out exchanges found on this forum. Pointing out flaws and issues with which one disagrees, does not constitute a "rip"- and shouldn't rule out the fact that we all support the program.
Again, JB is not God...he's a coach who has his failings and frailities- some of which were readily exposed this past year. Lets stop with the overly dramatic rhetoric...criticism does not automatically constitute a "rip". Sheesh! :bang:
I find the critique quite accurate. If it hits home its even better. I didn't know that one side or the other had a time limit on the exchanges. So what is a "rip" if it isn't something along the lines of the opinion that someone had perceived "flaws and frailties". You seem to think this is fact and not opinion. Its a rip, plain and simple. It surely isn't a pat on the back for a job well done. Anyway why does it bother you to know its a rip? Nothing wrong with a rip, if its what you truly believe. I respect that more than wording or PC correctness. Just be honest. Works for me.

The only exposure is the ridiculous start we had and then the reality. Then it was suddenly JB's fault from the Monday morning QB's. Any response to this seems to be dismissed arbitrarily. Seems the questioners don't want any retorts to their opinions. It doesn't work that way.

The "readily exposed" is your opinion and not a fact. Don't get the two confused unless you think you are the God here and not JB. "JB is not a God" seems more dramatic than those refuting the in the know "questioners". So "Sheesh" back at you says the pot to the kettle. You get to chose which of us is which. You're welcome.

Anyway, I hope you take this in stride and we can rally around supporting the program. That part I loved. Way to go.