The game seemed to change last night | Syracusefan.com

The game seemed to change last night

Marsh01

Living Legend
At this moment.

We are up 40-39 with 10:37 left and James decides to take a 30 foot three point shot with a lot of time left on he shot clock (meaning it wasnt a desperation heave to beat the shot clock) They come down and Giffey hits a three to put them up 42-40.

We are down 45-42 with a little over 9 minutes left and we have numbers on a fast break when MCW makes a bad pass that CJ cant handle which leads to a breakaway dunk by Boatright to make the score 47-42. We could have cut it to one and now we are down 5.

Then the three pointers started to fall and it was all but over.

Tough to nitpick a certain time but I though that was a tough 90 second stretch that we just didnt recover from.

I remember the exact time when I got that "oh stuff" feeling, and it was right in that timeframe - 9:36 remaining in the game.

ive noticed that with james, if he hits a 3 then next time down he's always looking to launch a deep 1. i understand a heat check if you make 3 or 4 in a row, but not if you make 1. that was the worst shot of the game.

Worst performance by Triche in a long time.
Our centers have to give us more. Both of them are hurting us badly.
Fair has to be a bigger focus on the offensive end. Made a post-up move tonight that was a thing of beauty and proves he could average 20 ppg.

Lots of improvement to make to be a Final Four team.

I thought we completely out-played them the 1st 12 minutes of the 2nd half and had nothing to show for it. Just knew it was going to be one of those nights. We need to really bring it these next 2 vs. The Hall & Prov. & feel good about ourselves again going into The real Rivalry.

Pretty much stole my post. That heat check 3 by James was ridiculous.

i agree 1000%...that 3 was terrible and a sure momentum swing (just in the wrong direction)

Yeah, the run-out to make it 47-42. That's frozen in my mind - four orange jerseys in the lane, Mike petulantly stomping his feet (because he made a bad pass? because he wanted a whistle? who knows), and a white jersey blowing by Triche like he was standing still at midcourt.

Ballgame.

Funny, I read the OP but only the first part about the James 3, then I was going to mention the second play Marsh did, but I couldn't remember the details, only to see that he already mentioned it. Obviously, I am an idiot.

The first 8-10 min of the second half were very frustrating; UConn would be up 5, we'd get it to 1 or we'd tie, then they'd go back to 5, etc.

Also, end of the half, MCW can't finish a layup in traffic (55% at the rim...), UConn comes down, runs down the clock, hits a 3 at the buzzer. Now they could have done that even if MCW finished, but it went from a tie game to a 5 point lead at the half.

There was also a play, might have been right after it went to 47-42, we called a timeout, ball gets swung around the perimeter to MCW, he takes a somewhat contested 3 from the right wing; don't think it even hit the rim. Just a terrible shot in execution and in theory; he's a bad outside shooter, no reason to jack one there.

Bottom line is hard to win when you shoot 4-23 from 3. Only problem is we've had our fair share of those this year.

I don't remember the exact score when this happened, but mid-way through the 2nd half there was a loose ball on our end, MCW dove on the floor and got it, passed it to Fair, and it went right between his legs, UConn went the other way for 2 on an uncontested fast break.

Just not our night at all.

I don't remember the exact score when this happened, but mid-way through the 2nd half there was a loose ball on our end, MCW dove on the floor and got it, passed it to Fair, and it went right between his legs, UConn went the other way for 2 on an uncontested fast break.

Just not our night at all.

I remember it. It was James who threw the pass

Between the 16 minute mark and the 12 minute mark there was a period where we had 5 terrible possessions in a row. If we had even played ok during that stretch, we would have been put in a good position to win the game.

At this moment.

We are up 40-39 with 10:37 left and James decides to take a 30 foot three point shot with a lot of time left on he shot clock (meaning it wasnt a desperation heave to beat the shot clock) They come down and Giffey hits a three to put them up 42-40.

We are down 45-42 with a little over 9 minutes left and we have numbers on a fast break when MCW makes a bad pass that CJ cant handle which leads to a breakaway dunk by Boatright to make the score 47-42. We could have cut it to one and now we are down 5.

Then the three pointers started to fall and it was all but over.

Tough to nitpick a certain time but I though that was a tough 90 second stretch that we just didnt recover from.

I rarely get mad at our guys, but that was infuriating and completely changed the game. I don't understand why he didn't sit after that.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

Actually, I knew we were in deep trouble in the first half - there was one possession when we hoiseted up a three - got an O board - hoisted up another three, etc. I believe we ended up w 4 try attempts & no points - it showed me that both our shooting and our poise was out of sync. After that possession we got out hustled and out worked on the glass for the rest of the game. Their reign of treys near the end was simply the merciful cul de grace.

last night was the MCW of the previous 2 losses, not the last 2 wins

Shortly into the game, I texted a friend and told him we were getting the bad MCW tonight. He was pretty awful last night and his constant sulking when things don't go his way are not helping. His body language is terrible when things aren't going well. Not really what you want out of your floor leader.

Shortly into the game, I texted a friend and told him we were getting the bad MCW tonight. He was pretty awful last night and his constant sulking when things don't go his way are not helping. His body language is terrible when things aren't going well. Not really what you want out of your floor leader.

when he leads in scoring, we are in trouble

when he leads in scoring, we are in trouble
Yes, that is true, but not neccessarily because of him. When it was obvious that:

a. Brandon couldn't hit either broadside of a barn
b. BMK & X could not even finish dunk attempts
c. CJ was having a below average game

what was he to do other than try to pick up the scoring slack ? I actually thought that was one thing he did well when he recognized he needed to try and be a scorer.

Of course, that is not to exonerate him completely as his TOs , his fouls, and a general lack of composure at times were painful to watch. He only had one assist - not sure if that was totally on him as nobody else could finish.

Yes, that is true, but not neccessarily because of him. When it was obvious that:

a. Brandon couldn't hit either broadside of a barn
b. BMK & X could not even finish dunk attempts
c. CJ was having a below average game

what was he to do other than try to pick up the scoring slack ? I actually thought that was one thing he did well when he recognized he needed to try and be a scorer.

Of course, that is not to exonerate him completely as his TOs , his fouls, and a general lack of composure at times were painful to watch. He only had one assist - not sure if that was totally on him as nobody else could finish.

right, and when he feels the need to be the "scorer" we are in trouble because others are not carrying their weight

I remember it. It was James who threw the pass
James threw the pass but how does it get BETWEEN MCW's legs? He wasnt even LOOKIN for it. How is your point guard not even looking, let alone EXPECTING a pass in that situation?

btw, there was a guy WIDE open in the left wing (think it was fair) had southerland passed it forward instead of backward. would have been a dunk and a four point swing.

James threw the pass but how does it get BETWEEN MCW's legs? He wasnt even LOOKIN for it. How is your point guard not even looking, let alone EXPECTING a pass in that situation?

btw, there was a guy WIDE open in the left wing (think it was fair) had southerland passed it forward instead of backward. would have been a dunk and a four point swing.

The play if I remember was very helter skelter. We had the ball, lost it in as scrum and James came away with it. Then he was suddenly pressured and he passed it back to MCW and it just was an unfortunate and almost unlucky break that the ball bounced between his legs.

That possession was a comedy of errors. We also had the ball twice in that sequence where I was screaming to just call a timeout to calm things down.

The more I think about that game the less upset about it I am, and I was pretty calm last night. Coming out a little flat, then badly missing some good looks, along with that five minute stretch in the second where the wheels fell off - those things happen in sports. A perfect storm of suckitude coming together.

This is a real problem, not just because we don't like it.

Officials take notice when a player shows up their colleagues several times a game. Mike doesn't get a lot of calls; this is not a coincidence. The foot-stomping, arm-flailing, yapping routine has worn thin with the guys in striped shirts.

Agree w/ Marsh. Although I think prior to that BT pulled up for a 3 as well with 30 seconds on the shot clock. Then James follows it up with his 50 footer with 25 seconds on the shot clock.

We can get those shots whenever we want - just bad decision making all-around and totally changed the complexion of the game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom