The Good Doctor | Syracusefan.com

The Good Doctor

CU44SE

All Conference
I would like to thank Daryl Gross for everything he has done for this University. To this day I don't understand why people have disliked Daryl Gross. Yes he did make one poor hire, but as we were reminded at halftime our olympic sports have all improved significantly. People may say that he had nothing to do with the basketball program, but he was the main reason the Melo Center was built. Since that building was built, we have had some of the greatest seasons and recruits in our history. Football is improving. I honestly believe without Doctor Gross, there is a chance we may not have been invited into the ACC. He has always been very progressive rather than reactive and that has the future looking bright. Go Orange!!

Moving football games to New Jersey, and in turn alienating local fans, is why people don't like him.

I would like to thank Daryl Gross for everything he has done for this University. To this day I don't understand why people have disliked Daryl Gross. Yes he did make one poor hire, but as we were reminded at halftime our olympic sports have all improved significantly. People may say that he had nothing to do with the basketball program, but he was the main reason the Melo Center was built. Since that building was built, we have had some of the greatest seasons and recruits in our history. Football is improving. I honestly believe without Doctor Gross, there is a chance we may not have been invited into the ACC. He has always been very progressive rather than reactive and that has the future looking bright. Go Orange!!
One small correction. Jim Boeheim is the "main reason the Melo Center was built." Jim personally did 95 percent of the fund-raising... including most of the substantial gifts.

let's see what you think of the good Dr. after he moves a Duke/UNC home game to MSG.

He's made a good comeback since "The Hire" but still steps in it now and then. Sometimes in a big way.

let's see what you think of the good Dr. after he moves a Duke/UNC home game to MSG.

Cause the basketball team has trouble drawing a crowd right? Im sure your one of the people that dont go to the football games and then complains when Gross has to do something to get more exposure for the Football team. Unbelievable

Wait... people are making a judgment way too soon, then standing by it come hell or high water while second guessing every move? ON THE INTERNET??? :eek:

The Gross curse - SU's sports went into the commode just about the time he showed up on the hill. Also retired 44 which many don't like.

Yes, that 'hire' was the equivalent of the death penalty for football. Ok I admit, I am football first, bball second. That is the perspective I am coming from. Of course he does have the ability to listen to two cell phones at once, so there is that. ;) That is all.

Cause the basketball team has trouble drawing a crowd right? Im sure your one of the people that dont go to the football games and then complains when Gross has to do something to get more exposure for the Football team. Unbelievable

Nothing to do with the hoops attendance. I think he made a promise to Swofford as a condition of ACC membership.

Gross has done a tremendous job, with the obvious exception of one hire. If you care about the athletic program as a whole (not just football and /or bball), then this is rather obvious with our recent performances in the Directors Cup standings. Why people still give him a hard time, I'll never understand. And don't tell me the 44 stuff -- it's a freakin number people. We are lucky to have him.

And pass up crowds of 40k at the Dome? Not a lot of economics majors on this board. Stop with the nonsense. We arent moving conference games to the Garden.

The Gross curse - SU's sports went into the commode just about the time he showed up on the hill. Also retired 44 which many don't like.

They did? Maybe football...but that's about it.

44cuse

They did? Maybe football...but that's about it.

44cuse

Well, bball did briefly with the 1st round loss to Vermont in Gross's first year, a mediocre 2006 - our first losing season in the BE, followed by back to back NIT appearances. People were definitely talking about the Gross curse back then, but the last 4 seasons of top notch hoop success has put an end to that.

Well, bball did briefly with the 1st round loss to Vermont in Gross's first year, a mediocre 2006 - our first losing season in the BE, followed by back to back NIT appearances. People were definitely talking about the Gross curse back then, but the last 4 seasons of top notch hoop success has put an end to that.

Yeah, you're right. I wasn't thinking about that. I guess I was thinking more broadly in terms of across all sports, but you are right. There was a hoops dip there.

44cuse

Nothing to do with the hoops attendance. I think he made a promise to Swofford as a condition of ACC membership.

So you're guessing about something he might have done and holding that against him?

When someone the caliber of Little, Brown or Davis says they will come here only if they can where 44 then they can bitch. Otherwise its just a made up reason to hate an outsider.

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2

When someone the caliber of Little, Brown or Davis says they will come here only if they can where 44 then they can bitch. Otherwise its just a made up reason to hate an outsider.

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2

I think that's right; you put that very well.

There are certainly those who are anti-change and want to manufacture reasons to dislike some who doesn't look like them and didn't grow up in the same region.

whoa...What is this post about...Dr. Gross has been a huge plus for 'Cuse and will continue to be...if you want to go after something...don't start with one of the better administrators we have...got 'Cuse out of BE...helped get dollars for Melo Center...continues to build the university through its alumni...and sorry folks, but upstate NY is not the only place 'Cuse has alumni...think of it like Notre Dame...we gotta go where alumni are sometimes and that is not Syracuse NY and vicinity all the time!

And pass up crowds of 40k at the Dome? Not a lot of economics majors on this board. Stop with the nonsense. We arent moving conference games to the Garden.

Let me clarify. I should have said Swofford would move the games to MSG. I'm not saying Gross would do this voluntarily. My theory is Swofford knew how desperate SU was to get out of the Big East and made that as a double secret condition of ACC membership.

As for the Gross curse, you forgot 3 major episodes.
1. Arinze's knee in the BE tourney.
2.Bernie's legal questions.
3. Fab Melo's eligibility.

I am a believer in DrG but do not agree with him on some things.
There is a lot more that I disagree with that Nancy has done.
1. Connective corridor
2. Public apology for the quitters
3. building on every last parking spot on campus

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors