The Impact of Recruiting on Marrone's Extension | Syracusefan.com

The Impact of Recruiting on Marrone's Extension

OrangeinBoston

All Conference
It now appears that SU will (hopefully) end up 5 & 7. It would take a monumental upset to get to a bowl game. That, to me, is another year of underachieving.

So, where does that leave Marrone? In my opinion, recruiting has to be the determining factor. If, despite the record, he puts together a great class addressing key needs (MUCH better OL, game breaker WR, upgraded LBs), then he should get an extension. If not, Gross should consider alternatives.

Can we wait until we play the next 6 games before people determine how many games we will win, last time I checked you actually have to play the games to determine who win and loses, personally I still think we get to 6 wins, but hey if we don't than people can deal with it. I just hate, when people say we are or we aren't beating team X... Jesus, enough.

Let the season ing play out before you determine Marrone has terribly wronged you once again!! We all know how much most have invested into the program and are willing to pay for new facilities and coaches! But, but, but, but, this is an internet forum and I reserve the right to be complate touch hole, I get it, I wrote the ing book on it

I'd say monumental upset is quite the hyperbole because it's not like SU is playing Bama or Oregon but agree that recruiting has to continue an upswing which I do believe it has.

From my perspective...it is not that 'Cuse is a poor football team. Have we been blown out in any game...NO. What is alarming are the undisciplined play, poor play calling, ridiculous penalties...all of this is on coaching as much as it is on players. If the penalties went away, red zone ineptitude went away, if the team played more disciplined I believe we would be 4-2 at worst right now. So the question really is: Can M and staff fix these problems...will the players listen to what the staff says and execute...'Cuse is a whisker away from being good.

I'd say monumental upset is quite the hyperbole because it's not like SU is playing Bama or Oregon but agree that recruiting has to continue an upswing which I do believe it has.
Would you expect anything different from this "fan"? Seriously?

From my perspective...it is not that 'Cuse is a poor football team. Have we been blown out in any game...NO. What is alarming are the undisciplined play, poor play calling, ridiculous penalties...all of this is on coaching as much as it is on players. If the penalties went away, red zone ineptitude went away, if the team played more disciplined I believe we would be 4-2 at worst right now. So the question really is: Can M and staff fix these problems...will the players listen to what the staff says and execute...'Cuse is a whisker away from being good.

While you're throwing out all them what IF's, what IF we had nothing but 5 star players...just saying... :)

It now appears that SU will (hopefully) end up 5 & 7. It would take a monumental upset to get to a bowl game. That, to me, is another year of underachieving.

So, where does that leave Marrone? In my opinion, recruiting has to be the determining factor. If, despite the record, he puts together a great class addressing key needs (MUCH better OL, game breaker WR, upgraded LBs), then he should get an extension. If not, Gross should consider alternatives.

This post is a monumental fail, with all due respect.

First off, recruiting would be aided with the extension of Marrone simply because kids wouldn't be worrying if the current staff will be here by the time they get on campus. Recruits have been drawn to the likes of Wheatley, Anselmo and Marrone mainly. They are down-to-earth guys who are very good when speaking with a kid and his family. Sure, they haven't been able to land the hyperbolic "5-star". Most teams don't. They don't need to either. There are alot of good players on this team that haven't had their shot yet because they are exactly that, young. It isn't that they aren't good enough to play, it is that they needed more time to develop and understand the concepts. Next year's team will be feature every one of DM's recruits thus far. I will hold my true talent judgement until then.

Secondly, getting to a bowl game would take a monumental upset? Um, who on our schedule is unbeatable? LMAO. Somebody above said we aren't exactly playing Oregon and Alabama. Amen. We are in the BE with Mizzou left as well. Every game remaining will be tough for a mistake-prone team, but we can certainly beat any of them. We mostly beat ourselves, teams certainly haven't been waxing the floor with us for crying out loud. If we can cut down on turnovers and mind-boggling mistakes, we can win every game left on the schedule. Our D is playing fast, gang-tackling and overall has been very good. Our O has the ability to move the ball, but they somehow shoot themselves in the foot inside the 35 yd line. If we score like we move the ball, we win most of the games. That is TBD.

If you expected more than five wins you were not being realistic.

If you expected more than five wins you were not being realistic.

predictions are different from expectations

i think there's too much talk about personal predictions for wins and losses

i don't base my opinion of a coach on how well I can predict how bad they'll be.

i suppose if you think a team underacheived, that will factor into your future predictions.

it was easy to predict a grob coached team would stink. i expect more from the program which means grob had to go coach 16 year old long snappers in orange county

i predicted 4 wins and tried to convince myself to go to sleep until 2013 (how well did that work out? i can't help it).

i expect much more from SU and i'm willing to see how marrone will do with a qb recruit under the age of 23 (Paulus doesn't count)

why do i put everything in its own paragraph

While you're throwing out all them what IF's, what IF we had nothing but 5 star players...just saying... :)

;)appreciate your point...but either we correct what is taking place on the field or the team is not going to be very good. If is a good word here because in past two seasons I am seeing the same errors and undisciplined play. That falls on the coaches...if you cannot coach and train players to get better, then you are really not coaching. I am holding hope that the coaches get through to these kids...if they do, we should do well...I do not believe its because we do not have five star talent; I believe its because our coaches have not get the points across.

From my perspective...it is not that 'Cuse is a poor football team. ...What is alarming are the undisciplined play, poor play calling, ridiculous penalties...all of this is on coaching as much as it is on players. If the penalties went away, red zone ineptitude went away, if the team played more disciplined I believe we would be 4-2 at worst right now. So the question really is: Can M and staff fix these problems...

We win two very winnable games (UConn and USF) and the tone on this board will change. We can get to 4-4 and have a chance. Then, how this team does in November, and how the recruiting class shapes up, should tell whether Marrone should be our guy.

The problem, though, is that red zone play and special teams are a huge test of where you are as a program. As are turnovers -- the ones that come down to pressures & hard tackling. You can play pretty between the 20s, but if you cough it up regularly and can't win battles in the red zone, you can throw out the stats.

You know Rutgers wins on blocking kicks and you let it happen -- big test. You rarely get anything positive out of specials --big statement about your program.

You can't find solutions in the red zone (can't get push from the OL, don't have a WR who can get separation and be your end zone target, don't have a TE who is a weapon in the endzone, or a QB who is a threat on a QB draw or a sprint out, or a RB who can make things happen on a sweep), you have problems as a team. Sure, it is play-calling as well, but our OL and our playmakers (Nassib, Smith, Sales, Lemon) have been exposed in the red zone.

It is hard to fix. You have to hope your defense continues its play, and your offense & specials don't give it away.

why do i put everything in its own paragraph
Prevents cognitive dissonance.

You despise long posts, ergo you format your posts such that it helps you to not create long posts.

We win two very winnable games (UConn and USF) and the tone on this board will change.
I need a little bit more than wins against other mediocre teams to change my tone. If we win those games and they're Pitt-like wins, well... I'm not sure we're better, we're just on the right end of the result.

That has value, don't get me wrong. But we already know that Marrone can coax a close win. I want to see us get out of our own way, and assert some will. That's why I was so excited after Northwestern even though we lost, and have been so disappointed these last three games and am really not looking forward to another probable rock fight vs UCONN.

We win two very winnable games (UConn and USF) and the tone on this board will change. We can get to 4-4 and have a chance. Then, how this team does in November, and how the recruiting class shapes up, should tell whether Marrone should be our guy.

The problem, though, is that red zone play and special teams are a huge test of where you are as a program. As are turnovers -- the ones that come down to pressures & hard tackling. You can play pretty between the 20s, but if you cough it up regularly and can't win battles in the red zone, you can throw out the stats.

You know Rutgers wins on blocking kicks and you let it happen -- big test. You rarely get anything positive out of specials --big statement about your program.

You can't find solutions in the red zone (can't get push from the OL, don't have a WR who can get separation and be your end zone target, don't have a TE who is a weapon in the endzone, or a QB who is a threat on a QB draw or a sprint out, or a RB who can make things happen on a sweep), you have problems as a team. Sure, it is play-calling as well, but our OL and our playmakers (Nassib, Smith, Sales, Lemon) have been exposed in the red zone.

It is hard to fix. You have to hope your defense continues its play, and your offense & specials don't give it away.

Let's just get to 3-4 first. And then, maybe, just maybe the season can snowball into something that catches fire. I would say that we do get push with the tank. But we do need to run some type of play action out of tank also. I hope Nick Robinson can catch because I guarantee no one would be covering him on the goal line.

I need a little bit more than wins against other mediocre teams to change my tone. If we win those games and they're Pitt-like wins, well... I'm not sure we're better, we're just on the right end of the result.

That has value, don't get me wrong. But we already know that Marrone can coax a close win. I want to see us get out of our own way, and assert some will. That's why I was so excited after Northwestern even though we lost, and have been so disappointed these last three games and am really not looking forward to another probably rock fight vs UCONN.

Was last week a rock fight?

;)appreciate your point...but either we correct what is taking place on the field or the team is not going to be very good. If is a good word here because in past two seasons I am seeing the same errors and undisciplined play. That falls on the coaches...if you cannot coach and train players to get better, then you are really not coaching. I am holding hope that the coaches get through to these kids...if they do, we should do well...I do not believe its because we do not have five star talent; I believe its because our coaches have not get the points across.

I was just being a bit facetious, you know, the whole what if thing...SU has never really been a program attracting that (5 star) type of talent...I generally agree with you and that the issues you mention all fall primarily on the coaches.

Prevents cognitive dissonance.

You despise long posts, ergo you format your posts such that it helps you to not create long posts.
i want to make it harder for people like you who value loquaciousness over logic to skip my posts

i never thought about that before

maybe that's it

heh

i want to make it harder for people like you who value loquaciousness over logic to skip my posts

i never thought about that before

maybe that's it

heh

L

A

M

P

?

Yes.

For Rutgers maybe.

For SU more like a Buddist self-immolation.

A rock fight is a 13-10 game where both teams struggle to cross the 50, let along get into the red zone, and punt 8 times each.

That might describe Rutgers performance, but not close to what SU was able to do.

For Rutgers maybe.

For SU more like a Buddist self-immolation.

A rock fight is a 13-10 game where both teams struggle to cross the 50, let along get into the red zone, and punt 8 times each.

That might describe Rutgers performance, but not close to what SU was able to do.
You have a very kind of definition of a rock fight.

Look, I watch other college football games. Our standard game is a rock fight.

That has value, don't get me wrong. But we already know that Marrone can coax a close win. I want to see us get out of our own way, and assert some will. That's why I was so excited after Northwestern even though we lost, and have been so disappointed these last three games and am really not looking forward to another probable rock fight vs UCONN.
In football, you have to win your share of the close ones; and winning ugly, with defense, specials and no turnovers, would do this program a lot of good. I don't know that Marrone "can coax a close win" -- Pitt is a unique example against a long string of Ls (unless you are looking back to 2010).

A lot of folks would like to see us have the talent (esp offensive firepower) to "assert some will" by beating teams in a high scoring game. Not likely to happen. I'd settle for low-scoring wins where we don't give up the 10 point swing with bad specials, where we force the interceptions, and where we convert our share in the red zone. Not asking for a lot.

You and others in this thread aren't giving kids or opposing coaches enough credit. You think that these two constituents won't see an extension at this point for what it is? A desperate ploy to convince recruits and the fan base that all is well when it obviously isn't.

To answer your question, giving an extension to an underperforming coach has no positive impact on recruiting. None.

Recruits aren't stupid. They see the losses and the embarrassing coaching and the lack of bowls just as clearly as we do. And if they happen to miss it, trust me that the ACC coaching staffs will point it out to them.

We are joining the ACC with no momentum. It's over for marrone even if you guys and the SU admin aren't ready to accept it yet.

It only gets worse from here.

In football, you have to win your share of the close ones; and winning ugly, with defense, specials and no turnovers, would do this program a lot of good.

We're in agreement on all of that. My initial comment was in response to the idea that the tone of the board will change if we win the next two. I really don't think it will. At this point, I think Joe Fan wants to see more than just a win, they want to see fun football. The goodwill sure evaporated pretty quick after our ugly win vs Pitt.

I don't know that Marrone "can coax a close win" -- Pitt is a unique example against a long string of Ls (unless you are looking back to 2010).

Meh. :noidea: I'd put most of wins under Marrone in the "coaxed" category.

A lot of folks would like to see us have the talent (esp offensive firepower) to "assert some will" by beating teams in a high scoring game. Not likely to happen.

Why? East Crapper State can field an offense that scores points. What makes us so special that we can't score? I mean really ask yourself that. So many people here treat it like defenses should always be stout and asking for anything more than token scores from the offense is unreasonable. That's so backwards. More realistic to expect your defense to have problems and your offense to be explosive.

I'd settle for low-scoring wins where we don't give up the 10 point swing with bad specials, where we force the interceptions, and where we convert our share in the red zone. Not asking for a lot.
You're not asking for a lot. I think that's kind of the problem. The expectations are so low.

I'm glad there are fans that will be happy with winning alone. I'm not. I even said preseason I didn't care if we were bad so long as we saw hope on offense. That hope got destroyed really quickly, so thank goodness the coaches are meeting my expectation of producing another bad team.

You're not asking for a lot. I think that's kind of the problem. The expectations are so low.

I'm glad there are fans that will be happy with winning alone. I'm not. I even said preseason I didn't care if we were bad so long as we saw hope on offense. That hope got destroyed really quickly, so thank goodness the coaches are meeting my expectation of producing another bad team.
Wow...style over substance. Problem is, you continually move the goal posts to justify you're negativity.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseVegas

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom