The improved rebounding deserves a lot more attention and credit | Syracusefan.com

The improved rebounding deserves a lot more attention and credit

Alsacs

Living Legend
We out rebounded a pretty good sized Maryland team 39-33.

These past years our rebounding has been spotty at best outside of Roberson we struggled on the glass.
Brissett and Dolezaj are so freaking active on the glass it reduces second chance points.
The zone defensive rebounding had been a weakness.
The wings are good rebounders this will make the team able to run and get more transition offense.

We out rebounded a pretty good sized Maryland team 39-33.

These past years our rebounding has been spotty at best outside of Roberson we struggled on the glass.
Brissett and Dolezaj are so freaking active on the glass it reduces second chance points.
The zone defensive rebounding had been a weakness.
The wings are good rebounders this will make the team able to run and get more transition offense.
How did our national championship team and our 2013 team rebound? All is hazy to me but it seems that this is the best rebounding I can remember in a Syracuse team early in the season. May it continue!

How did our national championship team and our 2013 team rebound? All is hazy to me but it seems that this is the best rebounding I can remember in a Syracuse team early in the season. May it continue!
03 was a good rebounding team.
Warrick, Carmelo were good rebounding wings and Duany and Edelin good rebounding guards.
2010 was a good rebounding team as well.
Johnson, Jackson, Onwaku were really good. Rautins gave some help as well.

Love the way Oshae is both finesse and aggression on the boards. Goes up high and snatches them.
Marek— not sure about him. I notice when he does rebound, but i need to start paying more attention to what's happening to him when he doesn't. It it just a matter of position/location, or is he getting bodied/muscled out of the way? He's got such quick hands and reach, though.

So far we have the 6th best rebounding margin in the country.
But don't get too excited.
Rutgers is number 2.

Rebound Margin | DI Men's Basketball Statistics - NCAA.com
rebounding pct is a better measure than the raw totals anyway. currently #2 in offensive rebounding & #75 in defensive. we are rebounding 43.6% of missed shots on the offensive end! the 2005 team with hak, trob and forth (yes, forth) was the only time we've cracked the 40% mark for a season. against maryland, we got almost half of the offensive rebound opportunities. that is amazing against a team with p5 size & athletes

we are usually a good to very good team on the offensive boards, but weak on the defensive glass. if this team can just stay in the top 100 nationally on the defensive glass, it will be huge.

We rank number 5 in blocked shots per game.

I'm worried about Marek holding on to those rebounds in ACC play. Kid is a junkyarddog scrapper (LOVE IT!) but is he strong enough to compete with the big boys?

I'm worried about Marek holding on to those rebounds in ACC play. Kid is a junkyarddog scrapper (LOVE IT!) but is he strong enough to compete with the big boys?
Of course he is. He had 7 bounds last night against a huge team. Look at Maryland size and girth. I bet they are top 10 in size at the 4 and 5. Likely top 5. Intimidating club.

Marek is not shying away from anything or anyone. I agree with JAB, this weight thing is overblown. Rebounding is a combination of size, desire, understanding of angles and space, and ability to quick jump (or double jump). Physicality, to be fair to your point, has a part in the equation too. But he had all of the others in spades and he's not afraid to mix it up. Marek is good to go. Not 12-15 a night (he ain't DC1), but 6-10 is going to be the norm.

Of course he is. He had 7 bounds last night against a huge team. Look at Maryland size and girth. I bet they are top 10 in size at the 4 and 5. Likely top 5. Intimidating club.

Marek is not shying away from anything or anyone. I agree with JAB, this weight thing is overblown. Rebounding is a combination of size, desire, understanding of angles and space, and ability to quick jump (or double jump). Physicality, to be fair to your point, has a part in the equation too. But he had all of the others in spades and he's not afraid to mix it up. Marek is good to go. Not 12-15 a night (he ain't DC1), but 6-10 is going to be the norm.

I'm not sure I agree with you 100%. He has all the intangibles when it comes to tracking down rebounds, but he coughs the ball up a few times each game whenever he's bumped. I think this is the sort thing that takes a toll physically over the course of an 18 game league season. We'll see. I for one, hope he secures every rebound he gets.

I'm not sure I agree with you 100%. He has all the intangibles when it comes to tracking down rebounds, but he coughs the ball up a few times each game whenever he's bumped. I think this is the sort thing that takes a toll physically over the course of an 18 game league season. We'll see. I for one, hope he secures every rebound he gets.
Will he cough up a few? Very likely. Yes, he's not Anthony Mason down there. To me, that one "cough up" rebound per game is akin to worrying about the 1-2 missed free throws Battle will have each game. Crap happens and remember, no one rebounds in a vacuum ... there are two teams and one ball out there.

Sure, this is a college hoops message board and we all sweat the details and pretend we know everything (myself included!), but I urge everyone to enjoy Marek for what he is, as opposed to what he is not.

Very noticeable and I mentioned in game thread.

He will only get better though.

That kid is tough as nails. I don't doubt that he will get better. Guys who play that hard have a burning desire to get better.

Just a smart player who doesn't seem to get rattled. We can credit his time playing pro for that. As for the loose ball thing, I look at it this way: I'll take a guy who gets his hands in there and occasionally gets out muscled for the ball as opposed to sitting back and having the other team grab a clean rebound. No comparison.

03 was a good rebounding team.
Warrick, Carmelo were good rebounding wings and Duany and Edelin good rebounding guards.
2010 was a good rebounding team as well.
Johnson, Jackson, Onwaku were really good. Rautins gave some help as well.
2010 is always the team I think of when good rebounding is brought up

I don't want to get too far ahead here - but it sure looks to me like Oshae is one of the best rebounders we've had in a long time - has all the traits - relentless, incredible quickness, frame/strength etc.. when his shots start falling, he will be a handful..

I don't want to get too far ahead here - but it sure looks to me like Oshae is one of the best rebounders we've had in a long time - has all the traits - relentless, incredible quickness, frame/strength etc.. when his shots start falling, he will be a handful..
Get too far ahead. We love it!

The rebounding is better but the free throw shooting still sucks. Some things will never change.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom