The Jim Boeheim Show (2/7/19) | Syracusefan.com

The Jim Boeheim Show (2/7/19)

SWC75

Bored Historian
Jim Boeheim’s radio show is on Thursdays from 7-8 or 9PM on ESPN Radio in Syracuse, which is AM1200 or FM 97.7 on the dial. The show originates from Carrabba's Italian Grill in Fayetteville. The first hour, hosted by Matt Park, the Voice of the Orange, is on their general network. The second hour, which begins with the conference season, is hosted by Gomez, a local radio personality.

You can call into the show locally at 315-424-8599 or nationally at 1-888-746-2873. For Gomez’s portion, use 315-424-8599. Or you can submit questions from this page:
Submit a Question! - Syracuse University Athletics
Or on Twitter at mattpark1 or “askBoeheim”.

The show can be heard in Syracuse on FM 99.5. It’s sometime simulcast on AM 1200 or FM 97.7. You can also get it on: TuneIn | Free Internet Radio | NFL, Sports, Podcasts, Music & News

I will be posting my rough transcript the night of the broadcast focusing on my questions, the team and their last and next games and then a second post the next day on other things that were discussed.

MY QUESTIONS/COMMENTS

First Hour:

“Coach, when we fell way behind I was still hopeful because it happened early and we had most of the game to come back. I was concerned that we might get exhausted making a comeback but felt that halftime would allow us to avoid that. We continued to play well after the half but could never quite catch up. Then came the 0-12 run and we did look like a tired team. How restorative is the halftime break in a situation like that and how much difference would it have made if we’d been able to catch them and pass them?”

Second Hour:

“Coach we seem to be stressing defensive penetration to set up shots rather than passing the ball around the perimeter. It’s been my observation that a shooter’s success rate is higher if the ball goes inside and back out to him as opposed to when he has to turn to catch a pass coming in from the side: he’s more likely to be open, he can get off the shot more quickly and he is already squared to the basket. I’d guess that a sideways pass produces a shooting percentage of about 20% on threes whereas with the inside-out game it’s more like 50%. From your review of films, would you agree with those percentages? “

COACH BOEHEIM
(I have, in some instances, put together statements from different parts of the broadcast on the same subject. The quotes may not be verbatim –they are from my scribbled notes. I have not knowingly changed the meaning. In recent years they have started out doing one hour shows and then shifted to two hour shows in January. When they do two hour shows. I will do two posts: one on the night of the broadcast on the issues directly relating to the team on the other the next days on other things that were talked about.)

On the Florida State game: “Florida State is a bigger, stronger and better team…They normally shoot 30% from three, (actually 33%) and they were shooting 4-5 feet beyond the line and hitting them off of fast breaks, which is very hard. It’s probably the best they’ve shot it in 2-3 years… It was our 5th game in 11 days, (actually the 4th: it was our 5th game in 13 days)… We didn’t shoot well. We had good looks. We didn’t make them… Florida State has a couple of inexplicable losses. They were an elite 8 team last year and I think they are better this year… Strange things can happen. UNC lost by 20 at home. NC State lost to Virginia Tech when they didn’t have their best player, (Robinson). They scored 24 points and then 99 in their next game… This conference has the top two teams- Duke and Virginia. Virginia Tech is the 7th or 8th best team. UNC is top ten. Our league is better than last year when we only won 8 games and we’ve already got 7 wins. Florida State is a Top 10-12 team… We aren’t quite there. We are inconsistent inside and have more turnovers than we’d like to have. When we don’t shoot well from three we have trouble scoring. We have no inside presence… We can beat any team we play. We had four conference wins this time last year and now we have 7. We are in a better position. There are no easy games… We have an opportunity to be a good team when all is said and done. “

Matt noted JB had said that Mfiondu Kabengele was “as good a player as anyone in the conference” and added: You know who that means.” Jim didn’t back down from that assessment, noting that he scores 14 a game in 18 minutes a game. “They play a lot of guys. They start the 7-4 guy to win the opening tip.”

Florida State is the only school to beat both Duke and North Carolina twice when those schools were both in the top ten.

Marty in Ithaca asked “How will we fair against BC with Chukwu down low? Can we bounce back?” JB:
“We’ll find out Saturday. BC is a good team and they will give us a battle. Bowman and Chapman are two of the best guards in the country. Ky Bowman is as good as anybody. He might be leading the conference in rebounding and he’s just 6-1. He’s averaging 7.8 which puts him in a tie for 6th. John Mooney of Notre Dame leads with 10.7)” Matt noted that Wynston Tabbs, who has been the ACC’s rookie of the week three times, missed his third straight game. Jim didn’t know his status for the next game. “If he’s there, he’s there.” They discussed the Hamilton brothers briefly. Jared is the older one and well- traveled, (he’s played for three different college team: Jacksonville State, Georgia Southern and now BC) but the younger and bigger one, Jarius, is probably the better player.

NC State ”has played great all year and that’s what we’ll get. They’ve had their bad game. They were 16-6 and ranked going into that game. It was huge surprise. Their two best players were 0 for 17. Sometimes that happens. Klay Thompson went 0 for 18 and they were doing interventions. Two games later he had 50 points with 14 threes. Virginia Tech only scored 47 points. It does you no good to think about whatever happened before.”

I called in and asked my question after congratulating Jim on seeing the Patriots win the Super Bowl. He said it was the first pro football game he had ever been to. He said they’d had a practice that day and he flew down in the late afternoon, getting back into Syracuse at 1AM. “It was fun just watching the Patriots play defense. It was great effort and great coaching. It was well played and the two old guys won. I taped a prediction for CBS but I don’t know if they used it. The halftime show was energetic, really good. Gladys Knight can still bring it and the two sisters were good. It was a great event to go to.”

In answer to question #1, (above), he said “I don’t think going ahead would have mattered. Getting to within 1 was a psychological boost. We don’t get tired when we win. We only seem to be tired when we lose. They made two 25 footers when it was a four points game and later a 23 footer. We had two guys fall down making lay-ups. They shot 2 for 22 against Pitt, (from three) and 11 for 22 against us. It just wasn’t our day. I don’t think we were tired. Maybe a little bit. But they shot it better and they played better.”

From Tuesday’s presser: “We got down 20, we battled as hard as we could battle and then we ran out of gas a little bit at the end….When you press full court that long, it takes a toll on you…We wanted to keep pressing. We were so tired. .. It’s hard to press a team like that the whole game. It did get us in the game but I don’t think we had enough gas left to finish.”

Josh wanted to know why we didn’t go into an “offensive press”, by which he meant a fast break. JB: We’d like to run. But Florida State controlled the boards and played good transition defense. Duke missed a lot of shots and that allowed us to run. We are not a great running team but we like to do it.” One shooting: “We’ve had some 40% games, (from three). Matt said we’d had 6 of them. “Hopefully, we can keep it up. “

Our current “net” rating is 48. Jim said “Our RPI would have been in the 30’s”. Matt looked it up and it’s 50, which surprised Jim. KenPom has us at #41. “I like him better.” Sagarin has us “in the high 30’s”. JB: “That’s surprising. We’re usually worse in Sagarin than the others. Road games matter.” There was some discussion of the impact of victory margin. Jim thought if you could win by 10 points, that meant more. They weren’t sure.

Steve In Boston wondered how Jim prepares his team for Duke and Zion Williamson. “We have to not let them get run-outs or get in close to the basket. He’s going to score there. We have to force them to shoot from outside.” Jim agreed that that game could produce a crowd of 35,000.

Paul in Baldwinsville wondered if Buddy could become our all-time best three point shorter. Jim: ”I hope so. He’ll keep working at it. He’s a hard worker. It’s hard to project.” Matt noted that GMAC had three seasons in which he hit over 100 three pointers. Jim: It’s a high bar to clear.”

Someone asked if the team should be getting to the foul line more. “We’re trying. We have no inside presence. We’re going to the basket.” Oshae Brissett “is getting to the basket, rebounding and playing really well.”

They were speculating on whether a team had ever beaten the same #1 ranked team twice in a season. They thought perhaps I would know. I did because I’d already looked it up and posted it to this board. The answer, (from the NCAA Men’s Basketball Record Book, page 99):
- CCNY beat #1 Bradley in the finals of both the NIT and NCAA tournaments in 1950, although both teams were later involved in the point-shaving scandal. Whether that means Bradley was trying to lose, I don't know.
- Georgia Tech beat #1 Kentucky twice in 1955
- Duke beat #1 UCLA twice in consecutive nights in 1965
- Missouri beat #1 Kansas twice in 1990
- Georgia Tech beat #1 North Carolina twice in 1994
- North Carolina beat #1 Duke twice in 1998
- Pittsburgh beat #1 Connecticut twice in 2009

I then asked my question about the shooting percentage when the pass is sideways vs. when it comes from inside the defense. JB wasn’t buying it. “That’s probably a little skewed. You can still be squared up from the side. It’s not that big a difference. If you get really good penetration and toss it back out it seems like they are open all the time but it’s not that big a difference.”

Tom called form Pulaski. JB: “We talk about snow down here but they really get it up there.” Tom wanted to know about Frank Howard. JB: “Frank had a bad game but will bounce back. He had a really good game at Pitt. He had a bad game against Florida State. He’s a senior who has proven himself. He’ll bounce back.”

Pat called in, saying that snow melts in Syracuse but not in Pulaski. He wondered why, on our press, the center doesn’t “stay home” and protect the basket, thus resulting in a series of dunks by the other team. Jim said he hadn’t seen too many dunks against us. “Late in the game, we gamble to get steals. They were inbounding to Paschal’s man and he had to come up. Then we have to rotate back. We didn’t gamble as much earlier. That’s when we closed from down 22 to down 1.” Pat suggested the late problems were like pulling the goalie in a hockey game and JB agreed with that analogy.

Pat also asked about getting all four of our major scoring threats going at once: Battle, Brissett, Howard and Hughes. “We always seem to have a sub-par game from one of them.” Jim pointed out that we won at Pitt with both Tyus and Elijah shooting poorly. “You need three guys for sure in more games and probably 5 playing well to beat a Top 5 team.”

Pat wanted people to understand that we are not the only school that loses games, citing recent slumps by Kansas and Michigan State. JB: “Unless you are a great team, you are going to lose a few games. A lot of really good teams will lose 8-9 games.” (I’ll take that right now.) “We aren’t a great team. We weren’t great last year and we have a better league. We are capable of beating great teams…Duke has beaten everyone else at home, with and without Tre Jones. Reddish didn’t play in our game but O’Connell had 16 points and that’s what reddish averages.”

Robert in Eastwood called in. Gomez asked “What’s happening in Eastwood? “ Robert: “Nothing”. He wondered if Sidibe should get more playing time when Chukwu struggles. JB: “Paschal has had some monsters games. We would have lost by 15 at Duke if he hadn’t gotten those 18 rebounds. He scored the first 8 points against Pitt. Bourama is still favoring his leg a little. Paschal is better now and Marek can do some things in there. But I think it is a good point. Maybe Bourama could get more playing time….Paschal is not moving to where he could get the ball.”

In closing: BC is a good team. They can get us a lot of problems. We need to make good plays and give a solid performance.”

Tomorrow Part 2

Program Note: next week’s show will be on Monday, not Thursday, because Thursday is Valentine’s Day. (??)

Why is JB doing a show in May? And what the hell did I get into that can't recall a thing about the past 3 months!?

Why is JB doing a show in May? And what the hell did I get into that can't recall a thing about the past 3 months!?

Because my fingers had spring fever. (Nice that we can now correct typos in the titles.)

PART 2

ESPN commentators were discussing their worst losses. Dan Dakich was coaching Bowling Green when they got beat by 46 at West Virginia. Later he was offered the head coaching job at West Virginia and asked “Didn’t you see our game?!?” Seth Greenburg , who is from Long island, had just gotten the head coaching job at South Florida and they were playing Rutgers. He invited all his relatives to come to the game and was happy when they scored the first 4 points. Then they gave up the last 34 points. Gomez asked Jim to reminisce about his worst losses. He recalled going do 0-20 at Pitt and then scoring the next 18 points, (we still lost). “Nobody wants to go through that but they do.” Gomez brought up the DePaul disaster. “We were down 30-40. (69-108) They were OK but not great.” (They were 12-15 and 5-11 in the conference.) But we went on to win the Big East Tournament. We also got killed at Georgetown one year, (39-61), then beat them in the BET – we lost to Louisville in the finals and made the Final Four. We beat Indiana and Marquette on the same floor where Georgetown beat us.”

Around the ACC: “Louisville is a definite Sweet 16 team for sure, possibly Elite 8. Virginia Tech won at NC State without Robinson. North Carolina scored 113 points on NC State, (Virginia Tech only got 47). They, (the Tar Heels) have been up and down but they can be tremendous, right up there with Duke and Virginia at the end of the season. Virginia Tech and Florida will be top 15. Clemson is coming back after a difficult schedule.”

In the NBA: “The Lakers didn’t get Davis and they’d already told their guys they were about to be traded.” Malachi Richardson was traded to Philly: “There might be a spot here for someone who can really shoot.” Wes Johnson went to the Wizards: “He’s hung up there a long time and made some money.” The biggest trade was “Tobias Harris, if the chemistry is right. Gasol could make Toronto a little bit better. It was mostly just moving guys around. I wouldn’t go to new York if I was Durants. There’s too much attention and not enough good players there. Stay with Golden State and win.”

The Globetrotters will be in town: Do they still play against college teams? “No. We played them in the preseason years ago and they didn’t send their comedy team. They sent a real team. “

On Chris Herron Sr., the father of the current BC player, whose career was destroyed by drug use: “he was a great player. He had well-documented problems. He goes around the country speaking to young people. They did a 30 for 30 on him. People should get chances after making mistakes.”

Jim wasn’t aware of the proposed baseball rule changes. Relief pitchers must face at least three batters” “That takes away the power of the mangers. They shouldn’t do that.” The Universal designated hitter: “it’s always been stupid that the two leagues have a different rule.” Lowering the pitcher’s mound: he didn’t comment but thinks they need to deaden the golf ball because courses were not designed for players to hit the ball 350 yards.

Gerry McNamara will get the Vic Hanson medal at the Hardwood Club Diner in the Oncenter on March 10th. “He deserves it, does a lot of work in the community.”

Jim was asked about Boeheim’s Army, which will play some games this summer at OCC. Coach speculated on who might be available. He thinks Eric Devendorf might come back, Hakim Warrick might do it another time and he hopes CJ Fair will be there. “Some guys are playing full time. It will be fun for the fans with plenty of parking at the SRC Arena.” He said that Ryan Blackwell is, as far as he knows, his only former player who is coaching at the high school level at this time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jennie87

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom