The Jim Boeheim Show (After Colgate) | Syracusefan.com

The Jim Boeheim Show (After Colgate)

SWC75

Bored Historian
Jim Boeheim’s radio show is on Thursdays from 7-9PM on ESPN Radio in Syracuse, which is AM1200 or FM 97.7 on the dial. The show originates from Delmonico’s Italian Steakhouse on Erie Boulevard in Syracuse. The first hour, hosted by Matt Park, the Voice of the Orange, is on their general network. The second hour, which begins with the conference season, is hosted by Gomez, a local radio personality.

You can call into the show locally at 315-424-8599 or nationally at 1-888-746-2873. For Gomez’s portion, use 315-424-8599. Or you can submit questions from this page:
http://cuse.com/sb_output.aspx?form=4
Or on Twitter at mattpark1 or “askBoeheim”.

The show can be heard in Syracuse on FM 99.5. It’s sometime simulcast on AM 1200 or FM 97.7. You can also get it on: http://tunein.com/radio/WGVA-1240-s29191/

I will be posting my rough transcript the night of the broadcast focusing on my questions, the team and their last and next games and then a second post the next day on other things that were discussed.

MY QUESTIONS/COMMENTS

(Some years they have started out just with an hour show and later shifted to a two hour show. I came up with two questions and sent in the first, which is the question I always like to begin the year with. If it’s a two hour show, I’ll ask the second in the second hour.)

Apparently they are going to have a Jim Boeheim Show during his suspension. I avoided any questions about the games being played during the suspension.

First hour:

“Coach, Dino Babers has just become the seventh Syracuse head football coach since you became our head basketball coach. What qualities does it take to be a successful head coach at the major college level and how much does it vary from sport to sport? “

Second hour: (if they have one):

“Coach, you’ve been very success full in in-season tournaments. Syracuse won only one such tournament prior to your tenure here: the Hurricane Classic in 1963. Since you became coach we’ve won 21 tournaments that took place in the Carrier Dome and 15 of them away from the Carrier Dome. Your winning percentage in these tournaments is higher than your overall winning percentage. We’ve always had good teams but we’ve played many good teams in these events. What are the reasons you’ve been able to have such success in winning tournaments?”

COACH BOEHEIM
(I have, in some instances, put together statements from different parts of the broadcast on the same subject)

Matt Park said something about it being an interesting week and JB took the ball and ran with it, talking non-stop for nearly 15 minutes, (and throwing their commercial schedule way off, to which he said “Commercials aren’t my problem”. After it was over, Matt said “Coach, you’re rolling tonight.” JB replied “I can’t coach, I’ve got nothing else to do. But I’m running out of energy”. That didn’t stop him from answering every subsequent question with enthusiasm and detail.

“I’ve spent the last week sitting around doing nothing. It wasn’t a retirement. With retirement, you have to have a plan and this wasn’t a retirement because there was no plan…. I’ve been listening to the radio and hearing people speculate: What would I say to the coaches through the radio show? Would the assistant coaches be listening to what I say. I don’t know who’s practicing, (well). You have to see what happens in the game…. I didn’t know Tyler Lydon would play that well against Connecticut. You have to watch the game and see who’s playing well. It might make a difference if I could talk to the coaches during a game…. We talked about Frank Howard before I left. He’s been practicing well and we thought maybe he should be playing more…. Somebody said that if you don’t rebound you don’t win. Well, against Wisconsin we got out-rebounded by 20 (26) and we almost beat them. We missed some shots and some key free throws. ..We went small in the Bahamas and we beat two ranked teams. It’s about what helps the team…. There’s no clarity in who should be playing. It has to be figured out as we go forward. I’m not there. I can’t really talk about that…. As an assistant coach I scouted a team and recommended a man for man but a minute into the game I could see we needed to use a zone and suggested it to Roy, (Danforth), and we used it and we won…. The coaches are there every day. If I was John Wooden, I wouldn’t advise the players or coaches.…Colgate was a different game. If you leave those shots open, we’re going to make them. The better teams won’t let us be that open, so we’re going to have to do something else. We’ll have to limit turnovers get some steals, force some turnovers. We need to benefit in other areas…. Trevor Cooney will make shots. He’s made more three pointers than anyone at Syracuse. But he’s key to our defense…. You have to be in there in the moment and even then sometimes that doesn’t work. “

I could organize that into paragraphs but it wasn’t said in paragraphs.

They, (he), talked about Dolph Schayes: “I didn’t realize he’d taken turn for the worse. I was 21 years old when I first started working at his summer camp. There was no nicer man, ever… He could play, as he was today. He was a strong guy who could use both hands…. No one means more to this area in basketball than Dolph Schayes, (coming from the one guy who might)….Danny played 18 years in the NBA, pretty good for a guy people booed here….There’s only one Dolph Schayes…He came here at 16-17 years old and stayed 70 years….I’m extremely lucky to have worked with him and to have known him.” Matt noted that Dolph was a 12 time NBA All-star who was the NBA’s all-time leading scorer and rebounder when he retired. He averaged 18.5 points, 11 rebounds and 3 assists a game for his career.

Liam from Pompey again got in the first call. He elected to ask about the games played since the suspension began, praising the team for a “heck of a comeback” at Georgetown. JB: They did a great job. I’ve seen Georgetown 4-5 times this year and they don’t shoot like that….I don’t know where they got that center. He must have bene in the witness protection program. I’d rather play against Patrick or Alonzo than that guy. …We missed shots. We’ll be in trouble against anybody when we miss shots. We’ve had close games against teams that have won two games…They hit high post shot. They hit wing shots. They had all the answers. …We did a tremendous job fighting back….There’s nothing to be critical about, although people can do that.”

I called in and suggest that JB not waste his time listening to callers to radio shows. “That’s like inviting Mikhail Baryshnikov to a square dance.” Matt and coach both laughed. JB: “I try not to. I was mostly listening to what the hosts say. I was driving around in my car and you’ve got to listen to something. “ I suggested he stick with Motown and he laughed again.

It was again just an hour show so I only asked the first question. JB: “You have to be knowledgeable, have a good personality, (So far I qualify), and you’ve got to have a plan, (now I’m out)… Coach Babers has a big personality and is very confident. He knows exactly what he wants to do and believes he can do it here. He’s got to get enough people and train them up to play fast….You have to have every bit of confidence as a recruiter and be willing to do hard work. You have to have a staff who knows what you want to do….If you are a good recruiter, you can recruit anywhere…The new Facility- what do they call it, the Ensley center?- will help. The weight room is beautiful. He has a lot of good things to sell…. Its’ a completely new system and you’ve got to develop players for that system. Art Briles had two 4-8 years. (Matt noted Baylor had gone from 1994-2010 without a bowl game) he got going in his third year. I think that’s when he got RGIII….You have to give a football coach 3-4-5. Occasionally you can see in a year or two that the guy is overmatched and things are going wrong. But if you see any progress at all you’ve got to wait 4-5 years….This year isn’t Babers’ first class. Next year is. He’ll have four of his own classes in 5 years. .. I think Coach mac went something like 17-29 before they got it going (he did start 6-16-1 and was 30-35-1 going into 1987)…I think we have a good coach. I don’t care what league it was in- he’s won. He has a really good chance to do well…. I love football. I got to every game….We have had an unbelievable year with soccer in the final four and the field hockey and cross country championships. We all need to get behind every team….It would be a great thing to come out and what happens before it happens. If you wanted a change, buy a season ticket….The best recruiting tool is full stands so that when you show recruits around, they will want not come here…. There’s no limit. We used to think we couldn’t’ beat Miami….Coach Babers said that nobody thought they could do it at Baylor. Nobody thought Shaka Smart could do it at VCU. Nobody thought Brad Stevens could go to two Final Fours at Butler.“

Coach was asked if he helped recruit players for other sports. “I’ve recruited a couple of volleyball players, a couple of cross-country players, some football players. I’m happy to talk to any recruit. We’re all in this together. Any success we have is good for the university.”

Darrell in Clay announced he was the Coach’s “favorite Golden Domer” and asked him to discuss Notre Dame. “They lost two great player sin Jerian Grant and Mike- what was his name? 6-5 good shooter” Matt: “Connaughton” JB: Right, Connaughton. He plays for Portland and he’ll be good. They were just a play away from the Final Four last year. That was one of our best wins ever, (we beat them 65-60 at the Joyce Center). Rak was in foul trouble. “

Darrell also said his son was cut from his school team and was very down about it. What would the coach say to him? “Michael Jordan was cut from his high school team. Many, many good players have bene been cut. You can roll over and accept it. Or you can do something about it: get in in the gym and get stronger. Find a place where he can shoot. Prove you should have made that team.”

ESPN.com has an article by Tommy Tomlinson on how the coach is dealing with the suspension: http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...racuse-basketball-coach-jim-boeheim-final-act

Jim said that Tomlinson was a “a nice guy and I enjoyed talking to him. I thought he leaned a bit too much on the NCAA. I do watch Diners, Drive- Ins and Dives. They’ve been to 300-400 places. One couple has been to about 60. It’s actually gourmet food.” Matt said “No meat loaf?” JB: “I actually like meat loaf and pot roast if it’s good. I watch the Barefoot Contessa even more. I VCR everything.” He doesn’t DVR them?

“T-Bone” from Watertown called in and declared Jim to be an “SU legend” and said he’d seen him at other sporting events. You’ve had athletes form other sports on your team like Donovan McNabb, Melvin Tuten and Charlie Lockwood. I’ve heard that Lawrence Moten was a good football player. Could he have played football? JB: “He was the best safety in the D.C. area. He hit really hard. Those were all fun guys to have on our team. Lockwood was a tough guy. Donovan had a big game against Georgetown when they had Allen Iverson and three 6-10 guys. Now there’s too much specialization and weight training.”

Lew in Oswego asked if this would be considered a rebuilding or possibly a championship season. JB: I don’t predict. You never know. We didn’t think we had a Final Four team in 1996. The 2003 team was unranked at the beginning of the season. That’s why I never make predictions. We can be competitive with any team in the country and anyone we are going to play. But we are capable of losing to most of the teams we play, as we’ve seen. It’s going to be a fun team to root for.”

What about St. John’s? “I’m glad Chris Mullin isn’t playing. Boy, could that guy shoot!@. He’s got a virtually new team. It’s always a tough, emotional game.” Matt pointed out that, despite their embarrassment in the exhibition game vs. St. Francis, they are now 6-3 and Su is 7-2. JB: “In every game, we have to be ready to play well.”

Thanks for recapping these interviews.

McNabb had his big game against Georgetown during the 96-97 season, the year after Iverson left Georgetown.

What has two thumbs and likes to correct minutiae from Boeheim's radio appearances?

this-guy.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom