The Jim Boeheim Show - after Georgia Tech | Syracusefan.com

The Jim Boeheim Show - after Georgia Tech

SWC75

Bored Historian
Jim Boeheim’s radio show is on Thursdays from 7-9PM on ESPN Radio in Syracuse, which is AM1200 or FM 97.7 on the dial. The show originates from Delmonico’s Italian Steakhouse on Erie Boulevard in Syracuse. The first hour, hosted by Matt Park, the Voice of the Orange, is on their general network. The second hour, which begins with the conference season, is hosted by Gomez, a local radio personality.

The first hour is eventually, (it can take weeks) podcasted on the SU Athletics website on this page:
http://suathletics.com/podcasts.aspx
(Update: the last podcast is a preview of the first Duke game from last year so maybe they have stopped podcasting the show. )

You can call into the show locally at 315-424-8599 or nationally at 1-888-746-2873. For Gomez’s portion, use 315-4424-8599. Or you can submit questions from this page:
http://cuse.com/sb_output.aspx?form=4

The show can be heard in Syracuse on FM 99.5. It’s sometime simulcast on AM 1200 or FM 97.7. You can also get it on: http://tunein.com/radio/WGVA-1240-s29191/

I will be posting my rough transcript the night of the broadcast focusing on my questions, the team and their last and next games and then a second post the next day on other things that were discussed.

MY QUESTIONS/COMMENTS

First hour:

“Coach, in his first eight games, Chris McCullough hit 57% of his shots. In the last seven games he’s hit only 25%. Did the issue of whether he could be an NBA lottery pick affect his confidence or cause him to try too hard to make big plays?”

Second hour:

“Coach, normally in the pre-conference season you get to play a lot of guys because we are so much better than most of the teams we play. This year, almost all the games have been a challenge and you’ve gone with the guys you felt gave us the best chance to win those games. It would be nice to develop Chinoso Obokoh as a back-up center and BJ Johnson as another option off the bench. Is it too late to do that or could they still earn some playing time by what they show you in practice?”

COACH BOEHEIM
(I have, in some instances, put together statements from different parts of the broadcast on the same subject)

Matt congratulated the coach on the wins over the two Techs. JB: “The bottom line is to win but we’ve got another game coming up and we’re not going to continue to win if we play like we did in the second half at Virginia Tech or the whole game at Georgia Tech. You have to keep thinking about what’s next. In a game you think about the next play. It doesn’t matter what happened- good or bad- leading up to that.”

“In 2003 we played a game against Miami where we were down 46-49 with nine minutes left and won 54-49. We held them scoreless for 9 minutes. Last night it was 8:50. You can bounce back from a game like that. That 2003 team did pretty good. Gerry was 1 for 10 from the field and Carmelo wasn’t making much, either. Players know you can play better.”

This warmed him for a subject that was clearly on his mind because it had been on everybody else’s mind. “It’s not good to tell player they played OK if they didn’t. Kaleb had 3-4 good penetrations for dishes but he was 0 for 2 and had two defensive lapses. Ron Patterson played very well defensively. We’ve got to have other people step up on the offensive end. If Rak didn’t shoot 50% then he didn’t get the shots he needs. Trevor has been missing lay-ups for the last two games. He’s jumping in the air- what’s he thinking? Mike has been solid but we need other people to move forward. Rak’s free throws were big. We’ve had 85% shooters missing in a situation like that. We were fortunate we had a foul to give because Georges-Hunt was free. Then they got the rebound and we were very fortunate.”

This set up my first question, which he was glad I asked. “No matter what somebody says- somebody’s an All-America or he’s terrible- it doesn’t affect his play. If it does, he’ll never become a good player. He’s got to play before 10,000 people. If he can’t handle being judged, he’ll never make it. Players don’t think like that. They just play.”

“When Chris was playing well, he was more active. He got rebounds. No he’s catching and shooting jump shots. He’s got to be more active and move better. He made a good post move, spun and just missed. He missed three lay=ups and 3 free throws. If he’d just made those he’d have 10-11 points. We got spoiled early with his great play. He was in Carmelo territory, getting 15 points and 10 rebounds a game. He was better than Hakim at that stage. I was watching him and saying “Boy, he played great….Chris shoots well in practice.“ Gomez later wondered if Chris’s problem was that once opposing coaches got tape on him, they were able to make defensive adjustments. JB: “I don’t think so. They knew he was good. He was moving better, getting around the basket better, rebounding better. He was getting baskets around the rim, with the occasional jumper. He needs more activity, more movement and more production.

“Kaleb has had some good games. He played well at Villanova. We need just a little more offense from him, 5-6 points a game, and for him to clean up his defense. Ronnie, if he could make a jump shot sooner or later, that could get him going….He could be pressing. He might relax more if he played more minutes. But Trevor plays on Rak’s side and if he wasn’t there, his man would help on Rakeem and he wouldn’t have room to make those moves. That’s the impact of great shooters. It was the same with McNamara and Rautins. Rakeem hit 72% in his last eight conference games before this. If he was just a little closer to the basket, he’d shoot 60% in this one, too. I thought he’d make a big jump. He has even a little bit more room to expand.”

I thanked the coach and wished him luck “getting those tent poles up”. He laughed. Matt suggest this was not the night to put up a tent.

Later Gomez noted that Tom Izzo, whose Michigan State team was playing Iowa, was particularly animated on the sidelines. He commented that fans applaud such intensity during games but then criticize it in a post-game press conference. JB: “He’s an intense guy, a tremendous coach. Michigan State always keeps coming at you….People are watching and paying attention to too many things. People don’t realize that there’s a price to pay to win. I’m not as tough or as harsh as I used to be. It’s a give and take that’s been going on for years.

Another frequent caller, Pat, suggested to the coach that our best line-up was Gbinije, Cooney, and Roberson, Christmas and McCullough across the front line. JB: “Trevor is a 2. Mike is not a 1 but he’s comfortable there. Chris and Tyler are both 4’s. They need to be within 10-15 feet of the basket to operate. If we put both of them in there, their defenders would help out on Rak. We need Kaleb to play better. Mike plays well at the 3. Tyler can give us action off the bench. Chris is effective giving Rakeem a rest at center.”

A caller named Mike wanted to know the chances of anybody going undefeated this year, considering all the close games and how will we compete against Duke, Louisville and Virginia. Coach felt Kentucky has a real chance based on their crushing wins over Kansas and UCLA. But the close games make him “not so sure”. He said “All our conference games will be difficult. Wake Forest is a lot better than people thought. Clemson led at halftime vs. Louisville. We’ll have to play extremely well against Duke =, Virginia and Louisville.”

Matt, tongue in cheek, asked who the best playing coach in the ACC was. JB: “It’s not even close- Danny Manning.”

Brad called in and wanted to know who the team leader was “coming out of the locker room”. JB: “The coaches. This is not an emotional team. Last year’s team didn’t have a vocal guy, either. Players look up to the upper-classmen. Rakeem is a leader through his play. Players need to react to how he works. This is not a great shooting team. We have to grind it out when we’re not shooting well, everybody must work a little harder. Some tams can’t push the limit, just can’t get there.”

Brad suggested that Rakeem Christmas was an example of the virtues of staying in college for four years. Jim agreed. Jim, of course, agreed. “He’s got a better chance of playing in the NBA and has a degree.” Brad said “It’s all about you, coach.” JB: “it was about his and Hop’s hard work.”

A caller wanted to know how a coach can improve a player’s shooting. JB: “It’s hard to change mechanics Lawrence Moten came here holding the ball in his palm. I took it out of his palm and he became a great shooter. Players shoot 300-400 shots a day. Larry Bird used to shoot for 45-60 minutes straight before every game. And he was the greatest shooter in the game. “

“Our practices take only 2 hours- we’re allowed three. But players come into shoot and that doesn’t count against the limit. Ron Patterson starts slow and them makes 19 of 20. Stevie Thompson had a mechanical flaw. He’d make 90 out of 100 but miss 5 of the first 6. Players get a rhythm going. But in games you only get 1-2 shots at a time and you can’t get a rhythm going. Ron is in better condition than last year. He worked all summer on his shot. Demetris Nichols shot 18% from three as a sophomore but jumped to 35% as a junior and then 40% as a senior. We pride ourselves in our players getting better as they work with us.”

“It was impressive that Rak hadn’t been at the line the whole second half and he was able to win the game for us. 90% of the time in that situation, you’ll lose the game.“

Lenny in Syracuse praised the play were we dribble penetrate along the baseline and dish. JB: “It’s good movement with multiple passes. Sometimes we try it with one pass and it doesn’t work. It catches the defense off a bit. When you ar struggling to shoot you want to get as close to the basket as possible.”

Tom wanted to know why we get so many touch fouls called against us. “Maybe you should take your jacket off.” JB: “We need to get to the line more. We got 7 foul shots to 16, (actually 10 to 15). We were behind vs. Virginia Tech until they started fouling us at the end.”

Tom also asked how to pronounce Chinoso Obokoh’s name. Jim pronounces it something like “Oh-Bake”. It didn’t seem quite right to me. Tom asked how he was coming along. JB “He’s getting better. He can’t hang in with the big guys. He lost sitting out for a year. . He needs to be better defensively. That was the thing about Baye. He was so good defensively. We’d have won 1-2 more games with him. “ He was asked about the decision to redshirt DaJuan Coleman. “We had to make the decision by the end of December. He would have taken another month to get into basketball shape. He’ll need a full season to get his game back up. He’ll benefit from having a full year and then an extra year after that.”

This led to my second question about whether someone could work his way into the rotation at this time a year by what he shows in practice. “There’s still a chance. We monitor BJ in practice. He’s very thin which hurts him on the boards and he can’t play the 2 yet. Mike’s playing great. Chris has been a good presence at center. We’ll be playing three games in a week. Rak will get tired or banged up. Chinoso is getting there defensively and he can help us in that situation.”

“Florida State is big. They’re playing very well. They made changes in their line-up and are now playing very well.”

So I survived asking my two questions. JB at Delmonico’s is a different guy than JB at the post game presser. ;)

Jim Boeheim’s radio show is on Thursdays from 7-9PM on ESPN Radio in Syracuse, which is AM1200 or FM 97.7 on the dial. The show originates from Delmonico’s Italian Steakhouse on Erie Boulevard in Syracuse. The first hour, hosted by Matt Park, the Voice of the Orange, is on their general network. The second hour, which begins with the conference season, is hosted by Gomez, a local radio personality.

The first hour is eventually, (it can take weeks) podcasted on the SU Athletics website on this page:
http://suathletics.com/podcasts.aspx
(Update: the last podcast is a preview of the first Duke game from last year so maybe they have stopped podcasting the show. )

You can call into the show locally at 315-424-8599 or nationally at 1-888-746-2873. For Gomez’s portion, use 315-4424-8599. Or you can submit questions from this page:
http://cuse.com/sb_output.aspx?form=4

The show can be heard in Syracuse on FM 99.5. It’s sometime simulcast on AM 1200 or FM 97.7. You can also get it on: http://tunein.com/radio/WGVA-1240-s29191/

I will be posting my rough transcript the night of the broadcast focusing on my questions, the team and their last and next games and then a second post the next day on other things that were discussed.

MY QUESTIONS/COMMENTS

First hour:

“Coach, in his first eight games, Chris McCullough hit 57% of his shots. In the last seven games he’s hit only 25%. Did the issue of whether he could be an NBA lottery pick affect his confidence or cause him to try too hard to make big plays?”

Second hour:

“Coach, normally in the pre-conference season you get to play a lot of guys because we are so much better than most of the teams we play. This year, almost all the games have been a challenge and you’ve gone with the guys you felt gave us the best chance to win those games. It would be nice to develop Chinoso Obokoh as a back-up center and BJ Johnson as another option off the bench. Is it too late to do that or could they still earn some playing time by what they show you in practice?”

COACH BOEHEIM
(I have, in some instances, put together statements from different parts of the broadcast on the same subject)

Matt congratulated the coach on the wins over the two Techs. JB: “The bottom line is to win but we’ve got another game coming up and we’re not going to continue to win if we play like we did in the second half at Virginia Tech or the whole game at Georgia Tech. You have to keep thinking about what’s next. In a game you think about the next play. It doesn’t matter what happened- good or bad- leading up to that.”

“In 2003 we played a game against Miami where we were down 46-49 with nine minutes left and won 54-49. We held them scoreless for 9 minutes. Last night it was 8:50. You can bounce back from a game like that. That 2003 team did pretty good. Gerry was 1 for 10 from the field and Carmelo wasn’t making much, either. Players know you can play better.”

This warmed him for a subject that was clearly on his mind because it had been on everybody else’s mind. “It’s not good to tell player they played OK if they didn’t. Kaleb had 3-4 good penetrations for dishes but he was 0 for 2 and had two defensive lapses. Ron Patterson played very well defensively. We’ve got to have other people step up on the offensive end. If Rak didn’t shoot 50% then he didn’t get the shots he needs. Trevor has been missing lay-ups for the last two games. He’s jumping in the air- what’s he thinking? Mike has been solid but we need other people to move forward. Rak’s free throws were big. We’ve had 85% shooters missing in a situation like that. We were fortunate we had a foul to give because Georges-Hunt was free. Then they got the rebound and we were very fortunate.”

This set up my first question, which he was glad I asked. “No matter what somebody says- somebody’s an All-America or he’s terrible- it doesn’t affect his play. If it does, he’ll never become a good player. He’s got to play before 10,000 people. If he can’t handle being judged, he’ll never make it. Players don’t think like that. They just play.”

“When Chris was playing well, he was more active. He got rebounds. No he’s catching and shooting jump shots. He’s got to be more active and move better. He made a good post move, spun and just missed. He missed three lay=ups and 3 free throws. If he’d just made those he’d have 10-11 points. We got spoiled early with his great play. He was in Carmelo territory, getting 15 points and 10 rebounds a game. He was better than Hakim at that stage. I was watching him and saying “Boy, he played great….Chris shoots well in practice.“ Gomez later wondered if Chris’s problem was that once opposing coaches got tape on him, they were able to make defensive adjustments. JB: “I don’t think so. They knew he was good. He was moving better, getting around the basket better, rebounding better. He was getting baskets around the rim, with the occasional jumper. He needs more activity, more movement and more production.

“Kaleb has had some good games. He played well at Villanova. We need just a little more offense from him, 5-6 points a game, and for him to clean up his defense. Ronnie, if he could make a jump shot sooner or later, that could get him going….He could be pressing. He might relax more if he played more minutes. But Trevor plays on Rak’s side and if he wasn’t there, his man would help on Rakeem and he wouldn’t have room to make those moves. That’s the impact of great shooters. It was the same with McNamara and Rautins. Rakeem hit 72% in his last eight conference games before this. If he was just a little closer to the basket, he’d shoot 60% in this one, too. I thought he’d make a big jump. He has even a little bit more room to expand.”

I thanked the coach and wished him luck “getting those tent poles up”. He laughed. Matt suggest this was not the night to put up a tent.

Later Gomez noted that Tom Izzo, whose Michigan State team was playing Iowa, was particularly animated on the sidelines. He commented that fans applaud such intensity during games but then criticize it in a post-game press conference. JB: “He’s an intense guy, a tremendous coach. Michigan State always keeps coming at you….People are watching and paying attention to too many things. People don’t realize that there’s a price to pay to win. I’m not as tough or as harsh as I used to be. It’s a give and take that’s been going on for years.

Another frequent caller, Pat, suggested to the coach that our best line-up was Gbinije, Cooney, and Roberson, Christmas and McCullough across the front line. JB: “Trevor is a 2. Mike is not a 1 but he’s comfortable there. Chris and Tyler are both 4’s. They need to be within 10-15 feet of the basket to operate. If we put both of them in there, their defenders would help out on Rak. We need Kaleb to play better. Mike plays well at the 3. Tyler can give us action off the bench. Chris is effective giving Rakeem a rest at center.”

A caller named Mike wanted to know the chances of anybody going undefeated this year, considering all the close games and how will we compete against Duke, Louisville and Virginia. Coach felt Kentucky has a real chance based on their crushing wins over Kansas and UCLA. But the close games make him “not so sure”. He said “All our conference games will be difficult. Wake Forest is a lot better than people thought. Clemson led at halftime vs. Louisville. We’ll have to play extremely well against Duke =, Virginia and Louisville.”

Matt, tongue in cheek, asked who the best playing coach in the ACC was. JB: “It’s not even close- Danny Manning.”

Brad called in and wanted to know who the team leader was “coming out of the locker room”. JB: “The coaches. This is not an emotional team. Last year’s team didn’t have a vocal guy, either. Players look up to the upper-classmen. Rakeem is a leader through his play. Players need to react to how he works. This is not a great shooting team. We have to grind it out when we’re not shooting well, everybody must work a little harder. Some tams can’t push the limit, just can’t get there.”

Brad suggested that Rakeem Christmas was an example of the virtues of staying in college for four years. Jim agreed. Jim, of course, agreed. “He’s got a better chance of playing in the NBA and has a degree.” Brad said “It’s all about you, coach.” JB: “it was about his and Hop’s hard work.”

A caller wanted to know how a coach can improve a player’s shooting. JB: “It’s hard to change mechanics Lawrence Moten came here holding the ball in his palm. I took it out of his palm and he became a great shooter. Players shoot 300-400 shots a day. Larry Bird used to shoot for 45-60 minutes straight before every game. And he was the greatest shooter in the game. “

“Our practices take only 2 hours- we’re allowed three. But players come into shoot and that doesn’t count against the limit. Ron Patterson starts slow and them makes 19 of 20. Stevie Thompson had a mechanical flaw. He’d make 90 out of 100 but miss 5 of the first 6. Players get a rhythm going. But in games you only get 1-2 shots at a time and you can’t get a rhythm going. Ron is in better condition than last year. He worked all summer on his shot. Demetris Nichols shot 18% from three as a sophomore but jumped to 35% as a junior and then 40% as a senior. We pride ourselves in our players getting better as they work with us.”

“It was impressive that Rak hadn’t been at the line the whole second half and he was able to win the game for us. 90% of the time in that situation, you’ll lose the game.“

Lenny in Syracuse praised the play were we dribble penetrate along the baseline and dish. JB: “It’s good movement with multiple passes. Sometimes we try it with one pass and it doesn’t work. It catches the defense off a bit. When you ar struggling to shoot you want to get as close to the basket as possible.”

Tom wanted to know why we get so many touch fouls called against us. “Maybe you should take your jacket off.” JB: “We need to get to the line more. We got 7 foul shots to 16, (actually 10 to 15). We were behind vs. Virginia Tech until they started fouling us at the end.”

Tom also asked how to pronounce Chinoso Obokoh’s name. Jim pronounces it something like “Oh-Bake”. It didn’t seem quite right to me. Tom asked how he was coming along. JB “He’s getting better. He can’t hang in with the big guys. He lost sitting out for a year. . He needs to be better defensively. That was the thing about Baye. He was so good defensively. We’d have won 1-2 more games with him. “ He was asked about the decision to redshirt DaJuan Coleman. “We had to make the decision by the end of December. He would have taken another month to get into basketball shape. He’ll need a full season to get his game back up. He’ll benefit from having a full year and then an extra year after that.”

This led to my second question about whether someone could work his way into the rotation at this time a year by what he shows in practice. “There’s still a chance. We monitor BJ in practice. He’s very thin which hurts him on the boards and he can’t play the 2 yet. Mike’s playing great. Chris has been a good presence at center. We’ll be playing three games in a week. Rak will get tired or banged up. Chinoso is getting there defensively and he can help us in that situation.”

“Florida State is big. They’re playing very well. They made changes in their line-up and are now playing very well.”

So I survived asking my two questions. JB at Delmonico’s is a different guy than JB at the post game presser. ;)

Highlight of the Thursday night board, as usual. Amazing how satisfying it is to hear how JB actually thinks, after endlessly guessing about it. Thanks for putting this together.

CNY'ers tend to be passionate and opinionated. When you put those 2 attributes together, you get hyperbole speak. This is the most made of fact I've ever seen.

see what I just did?

Steve, I was driving to Rite Aid and heard your first question! And Coach was so very "sweet" and thoughtful talking about Chris. He did it in positive and gentle terms. And he told you he was glad you asked the question! He is truly a different man on the radio show. I also thought he seemed very discouraged about the game and admitted it was hard for him to move on.

About 10 years ago I used to listen to the show and occasionally I called in with a question. Every time I called in, I won the Otto Bobblehead for the best question, but I knew darn well it was because I was a woman! I have one Bobblehead on my book shelf looking down on me as I type, but I didn't pick up two others.

I wish the press covered the radio show the way they cover pressers.

Cusefan0307 said:
Sometimes I wonder if coach says things to get fans off the players back's and instead angry at him, to get the pressure off the player.

I assume that's what he does.

I assume that's what he does.

I just think he's tired and often frustrated after the game. He's just been "discussing" the game with his players and is still thinking aobut the same issues when he enters the press room. He also has a history of tension with some of the reporters. The questions, if you listen to them, are often kind of weak.

I have a couple of days to think up good questions and how to phrase them. I watch the games, read the board, listen to the radio talk show to see what people are talking about. He's dealing with the fans, not the press. He's being interviewed by Matt Park and Gomez, with whom he has a good relationship. There's an element of trust there. Also he's got a mouthful of chicken marsala.

I just think he's tired and often frustrated after the game. He's just been "discussing" the game with his players and is still thinking aobut the same issues when he enters the press room. He also has a history of tension with some of the reporters. The questions, if you listen to them, are often kind of weak.

I have a couple of days to think up good questions and how to phrase them. I watch the games, read the board, listen to the radio talk show to see what people are talking about. He's dealing with the fans, not the press. He's being interviewed by Matt Park and Gomez, with whom he has a good relationship. There's an element of trust there. Also he's got a mouthful of chicken marsala.

Maybe the Post- Standard needs you in there asking the questions instead of Waters, Carlson and Axe. Or maybe you need to teach them how to ask questions.

I don't always "like" the way JB handles himself but one cannot argue that w/ him, what we see is what we get. The man is raw and unfiltered...for better or worse.
Re; CMac- I remember Ronnie Seikaly having a major gripe w/ JB over his perceived treatment while at SU. It wasn't till years later, after a successful NBA career as the 1st ever Draft pick of the Miami Heat, that he acknowledged how much JB had done for him. IOW, he'd grown-up and realized that the harangues were done to serve a purpose...and they worked.
Old school HC's like a Bob Knight, etc., are no longer in vogue in our overly-sensitive, PC-inspired, touchy-feely society, and obviously I'm not saying that a HC should EVER put his hands on a player.
JB gets on CMac in the way that he does because, IHHO, he must believe its the best way to reach the young man. He doesn't treat every player the same, and that's always the mark of a great manager...nevermind a HC of a sports team. The man has been doing it his way for 3+ decades and been very successful.
Its always amusing reading the amateur psychologists and motivational experts on this forum, who all seem to think they know what's going on better than our HOF'er.
He's not a stupid man...& if he's treating CMac in this way, publically or otherwise, its meant to get the best outta him. We may not agree w/ the methodology, but let's never question the intent and motivation behind it. JMHO

Last edited:
OTHER TOPICS

The SU women lost to #13 Duke by two free throws in the final seconds. They’ve now lost five games- by 4 to #1 South Carolina, by 7 to #9 Baylor, by 13 to #18 Michigan State, by 11 to #4 Notre Dame and now Duke. They haven’t beaten a ranked team but have proven they belong among them and this is mostly without their star player, Brittney Sykes who is again injured. “Hopefully she’ll be able to redshirt and get two years left to play. Like DaJuan Coleman, Brittany has been in rehab every days. And it’s not a 30 minute workout, every couple of days. They go for hours for 6-7 months. It’s not much fun. It’s very difficult.” JB wondered if the new injury was a meniscus and said it was, it might not be so bad. Apparently it is a new injury, not a re-injury of the previous one. He also said that the conference did SU no favors, having them start out with Notre Dame and Duke. They play two more ranked teams- #6 Louisville and #8 North Carolina.

Matt noted that they had coaches being interviewed by Seth Greenburg during the game. JB: “I like Seth but I don’t like talking to him even before games.” Matt felt it would “not be a trending thing any time soon”.

They got a couple of strange phone calls. One was from Stefan who, in a strange, high-pitched voice suggested that this year should be considered “a learning experience” and that afterwards JB could “let someone new come in and be a big fan and a big consultant”. JB took it calmly and said “You don’t think of anything but the next play. You don’t take a step back, you go forward and get better. Thanks for the suggestion.”

John in Syracuse called twice and wasn’t coherent on either occasion, saying “I bark but don’t bite.” He said he was proud of Jim and “I don’t want to cause him to get sick”. Then he started talking about how somebody took apart his cellphone. He closed by apologizing for “asking a stupid question about Justin Pugh” at one of Doug Marrone’s luncheons. JB asked if there was a question for him in there. Matt said he was “afraid of what’s coming next” and “you’d have get really into it to understand it.” JB asked if there was a question for him in there. Matt said he was “afraid of what’s coming next” and “you’d have get really into it to understand it.” Later John called back and apologized for the first call, saying that he was “kind of shy”. He did have a question “between just you and me and nobody else”. He urged the coach to “have guys do something positive on both ends of the floor- offense and defense” and “be ready when their number is called”. JB: “You got it John…You never know what to expect at Delmonico’s”.

A woman named Katie said she’d been wondering something for four years. Jim said “You don’t have to wait that long- just call in.” She wondered if Rakeem Christmas had chosen his number. Jim said that players can choose whatever number they want as long as they a reopen. “I didn’t even realize he was #25 for two years. I don’t pay any attention to numbers. I just look at the players and know them. I don’t know anybody’s number, college or pros.”

Jim was asked about Doug Marrone’s situation. “When a player goes free agent, it’s OK. But when a coach does it, everybody gets upset. They had new ownership and no General Manager. It’s really poor journalism to bring somebody on who was fired by him to criticize him. Bill Belichick has guys he’s fired who don’t like him. Football coaches are tough and uncompromising- if they’re good. People say that Marrone was just a .500 coach but he was a heck of a lot better than what we had four years before. We went from rock bottom to respectability. At Buffalo they hadn’t had a winning record in 14 years. “

Regarding the interview process: “Some people do good interviews but are lousy coaches. Lombardi and Shula may not have done great interviews. You have to look at the record and get a feel for it. So few NFL coaches are consistently successful, staying in first place or making the playoffs every year. Peter Carroll failed his first time. Belichick failed in Cleveland. Red Auerbach never won anything before he had Bill Russell. It takes great management. When Jerry Jones let Jimmy Johnson run the Cowboys, they won Super Bowls.

Michigan State was putting on a spectacular display vs. Iowa , (they hit a dozen three pointers and won by 14). “When you don’t make shots, it’s tough to win. Sometimes the other team is just better defensively. Sometimes you are missing open shots.”

They discussed the Dion Waiters trade. “He’s gone from playing with three guys who need the ball to two.” About the draft picks, “If you don’t get one of the top 3-4 picks, you’re not getting a great player.“

John Calipari has a new book out but it’s not a memoir. JB: “Oh, it’s a ‘leadership book’, steps to success.” That’s not really it, either. He rails at the NCAA, calling it “similar to the last days of the Soviet Union”. He proposes that players be allowed to transfer and play immediately if the coach leaves and that players get yearly stipends of $3-5,000.” JB: “That sounds good but we have 500 transfers a year now. If they passed that rule, you’d have 1000-1500. A football team could lose 30-40 guys. Guys would leave just because they haven’t played as much as they want to. That’s why the scholarship agreement makes it clear they signed with the school, not the coach.“ (I think that might happen if ALL players could transfer and play immediately. I don’t think there are enough coaching changes to triple the number of transfers.) he had a similar opinion of stipends. “The football players would want them, then the women- about 300 athletes. As it is, only about 10 schools make money. The other schools couldn’t afford it.”

Kobe Bryant has criticized the AAU, saying that players don’t get enough actual training. “They don’t teach.” He prefers Europe where they are always running drills, (that’s where he grew up). JB: “they have the club system in Europe and drill 2-3 hours a day. Our kids get the opportunity to compete, 80-100 games each summer. Our system isn’t perfect but it’s what we have.”

Urban Meyer is complaining about the playoff and those who want to extend it to 8 teams, which would mean a 15th game. He called it “NFL-like”. He wants them to increase the scholarship limit for the extra games. (Increased scholarships would allow schools like Ohio State to recruit more player that might have wound up with a rival.” JB: “Only two teams would play that 15th game. There’s never been more than 6-7 teams , (that people think of national championship contenders). You’d go to 8 and that would be it. It will happen. They won’t admit it but it will. They could have the first round at home sites to increase attendance. “

Asked for predictions, Jim said we shouldn’t go by the Florida State game. “They weren’t real good. They just found a way to win.” I give a little edge to Oregon but Ohio State has the better athletes.” Jameis vs. Marriota? “the experts will know who has better mechanics” Winston is a big guy- 6-4, 230. And he didn’t get much help form his teammates. He had a good year.

In the pros, “the best quarterbacks are still playing. “ Dallas- Green Bay brings back memories of the Ice Bowl game, which JB remembers watching. “I don’t know how you play in those conditions. You could lose your fingers.” He likes Rogers if he’s healthy, especially in that weather. He picks Seattle to win the whole thing. He’s worried about Manning’s throwing vs. the Colts. Jim and his son are Patriots fans but the game with Baltimore will be “interesting”.

Rob Konrad “must be in great shape” Nine miles is about the distance from Cicero, where Gomez lives, to Delmonico’s.

Maybe the Post- Standard needs you in there asking the questions instead of Waters, Carlson and Axe. Or maybe you need to teach them how to ask questions.

Or teach them to make chicken marsala.

It is amazing how much time and effort goes into handling the ego and personality quirks of our coach. If some of you guys put this much effort into your marriages you'd be getting laid non-stop :).

It's not "handling personality quirks". it's asking a well-stated question in a relaxed environment, something the guys at the press conference don't get a chance to do because of time and circumstances.

It's not "handling personality quirks". it's asking a well-stated question in a relaxed environment, something the guys at the press conference don't get a chance to do because of time and circumstances.

I know I'm not really referring to you. I'm more pointing out that the fan base seems to spend an inordinate amount of time worrying about what will or will not piss the coach off and what his reaction will be and how that might be detrimental or awesome or hurt recruiting or make espn hate us or make the acc refs more biased against us etc etc etc. I find it to be funny

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom