The Jim Boeheim Show after St. Bonaventure | Syracusefan.com

The Jim Boeheim Show after St. Bonaventure

SWC75

Bored Historian
Jim Boeheim’s radio show is on Thursdays from 7-9PM on ESPN Radio in Syracuse, which is AM1200 or FM 97.7 on the dial. The show originates from Delmonico’s Italian Steakhouse on Erie Boulevard in Syracuse. The first hour, hosted by Matt Park, the Voice of the Orange, is on their general network. The second hour, which begins with the conference season, is hosted by Gomez, a local radio personality.

You can call into the show locally at 315-424-8599 or nationally at 1-888-746-2873. For Gomez’s portion, use 315-424-8599. Or you can submit questions from this page:
http://cuse.com/sb_output.aspx?form=4
Or on Twitter at mattpark1 or “askBoeheim”.

The show can be heard in Syracuse on FM 99.5. It’s sometime simulcast on AM 1200 or FM 97.7. You can also get it on: http://tunein.com/radio/WGVA-1240-s29191/

I will be posting my rough transcript the night of the broadcast focusing on my questions, the team and their last and next games and then a second post the next day on other things that were discussed.

MY QUESTIONS/COMMENTS

(Some years they have started out just with an hour show and later shifted to a two hour show. I came up with two questions and sent in the first, which is the question I always like to begin the year with. If it’s a two hour show, I’ll ask the second in the second hour.)

First hour:

“Coach, when the NCAA sanctions came out a certain local sportswriter, (with the same initials as “British Petroleum”), suggested that being limited to 10 scholarship players a year wasn’t much of a punishment because you only use 7-8 guys at most and rarely have more than 10 guys on scholarship anyway. What problems does a 10 scholarship limit pose for your program and how do you work around them? “

Second hour: (if they have one, which I don’t think they will)

“Coach, have you offered Coach Shafer any advice on how to remain clam when the referee’s calls go against your team? “

COACH BOEHEIM
(I have, in some instances, put together statements from different parts of the broadcast on the same subject)

Coach wasn’t sure if we’d played on his birthday before. (For years, the season didn’t begin until December: the first 11/17 game was 93-40 win over Colgate in 1998. We beat Texas Tech 81-46 on11/17/05 and lost to that great Florida team the next day.) Jim is now 71 years old. He’s been our head coach since he was 32, (and I was 23).

“We knew they had good guard play. We had a height advantage but we’re not really the team to take advantage of size. You have to be sharp and we were not sharp to start the game.” Jim was still amazed by those two long three pointers off the inbounds plays, both with two seconds left on the shot-clock. “Wright normally doesn’t make three pointers. He doesn’t even make very many foul shots. (Actually, last year he shot 36% from the arc and 77% from the line.) Jaylen Adams “was making shots from 4-5 feet beyond the line.” Coach regretted that “We didn’t play well offensively in the second half of the Lehigh game and the first half of the St. Bonaventure game. ” Credit them for playing good defense.”

“Some games the other team gets more bounces. We kept our heads down and went to hoop. We got fouled and put the pressure on the defense. Malachi had a great game. He’s never been afraid to shoot but he got 2-3 lay-ups in this game. Tyler didn’t hesitate on his threes. That last one came when it was not quite time to look for lay-ups only. Close to it, but he was open and he made it with 18 seconds on the shot clock.”

Liam in Pompey again beat me to the first call. He wondered if Coach Boeheim was “worried about the missed shots and free throws and if he’d rather they make their mistakes now than in March”. Coach: “You never want to miss free throws. We did better toward the end. I think we’ll shoot OK from the foul line.” Matt pointed out that guys we’d expect to get fouled the most are good foul shooters, so that’s a good sign. “Tyler Roberson was struggling in practice: he wasn’t fluid. We need him and DaJuan to score more. DaJuan hasn’t played in two years. We need to shoot better. Malachi and Tyler Lydon do a lot for us.”

I called in my question, (the show was again only an hour long so I didn’t ask my second question, which was more of a joke anyway.” The (scholarship) problem is not insurmountable. But you can have 10 guys and one of them gets hurt and now you’ve got 9 guys. Sand you can bet one out of 10 guys is going to get hurt. There’s also one guy who isn’t quite as good as we’d hoped he’d be. That gets you down to 8 guys. If you start with 12 guys, you’re down to 10. We sometimes get down to 7 guys but we like to play 8-9. It helps if a guy can play more than one positon. Often times that last scholarship guy is a guy we took a chance on. Hakim Warrick was the 11th guy. Lawrence Moten was the 15th guy – you could have 15 back then. We’ve got to go for four straight years with 10 players who are good and healthy. And what if you’ve got 10 guys lined up but one has academic problems and 1-2 go to the NBA early. We’ve had a lot of guys leave recently: 3 in two years and 5-6 in four years. Now you’re down to 7-8 guys and it’s too late to recruit anybody else. It also hurts the walk-ons. For as long as I’ve been here, we’ve liked to help the walk-ons with their education by giving them scholarships. We can’t help them for as long as this lasts. I’d call it a very stiff punishment.” Matt compared it to playing poker and the other fella gets more cards than you do. He pointed out that St. Bonaventure only had 7 scholarship players and was in big foul trouble at the end of the game. JB ”We have enough. We need to keep getting better a sa team and avoid serious trouble.”

They talked briefly about Tyler Cavanagh, whose George Washington team upset Virginia behind Tyler’s 16 points and 11 rebounds. “He’s a good player. He grew up playing with my sons. He got bigger (6-9 235) He’s a really good offensive player and rebounder. We’re not very good there.” Could we have had a third Tyler on the team? (And Ennis could have made four.)

The Warriors were playing the Sixers. Coach admires the Warriors and Steph Curry. “They have a lot of fun player son that team”. The Sixers “are in the 4th or 5th year of what must be a 10 year rebuilding plan. At least Jerami Grant is getting to play.”

They discussed the teams Syracuse might play in the Bahamas. Charlotte is coached by Mark Price, the former NBA star. They recalled that the last season opener Syracuse lost was to Charlotte the year after we won the national title. Brendan Plavich hit 10 three pointers against us:
http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/gametracker/recap/NCAAB_20031126_CHARLO@SYR
(GMAC had 8 treys of his won that night) JB said Plavich was 7-8 feet beyond the line.

I also remember Jim’s first team going down with a thud to what was then UNC Charlotte in the 1977 NCAAs, back when they had Cornbread Maxwell. That was when I found out that height mattered tin the backcourt. Our guards were 5-9 and 5-11. Theirs were 6-4 and 6-5. We couldn’t pass by them or shoot over them and their guys could to that at will and lost 59-81.

Connecticut has taken advantage of the 5th year senior transfer rule, “which everybody is doing.” (I would think it might be another thing difficult for us with our scholarship limit.) Shonn Miller of Cornell and Sterling Gibbs of Seton Hall are now Huskies.” Michigan’s John Belein eats lunch from a brown bag. JB joked he’d do that, too but he can’t get anybody to make the sandwiches for him. Texas A&M is ‘loaded’. Washington upset Texas. Gonzaga was in a suspended game in Yokohama and now they’ll be in the Bahamas. “It’s going to be a really good competition”.

Jim in Syracuse asked if the play of the freshmen surprised Jim. “Young players can surprise you. They can have good and bad games or halves. Kaleb had two good exhibition games and a good first game. He’ll bounce back. Even upperclassmen can have bad games, although some of them get to a level where you can rely on them. With CJ Fair, you knew what you were getting every night.” The caller Jim said Tyler Lydon had a great follow-through. Coach: “He didn’t hesitate and had good rhythm.”

Joanne want to know: “What is the impact of the new rules: a 30 second clock, more fouls being called, no “closely guarded” calls- will they slow the game down or speed it up?” Coach: “There’s no risk of a turnover on closely guarded any more so we can use up 20 seconds with no chance of a problem. It’s not a big thing. Taking that extra time out away hurts. We used to use one in the first half and save 4 for the second half. St. Bonaventure needed a time-out at the end. I’d be OK if they were all 30 seconds. Coaches should be able to call time-outs. I would have called a timeout when DaJuan got surrounded. Later when it happened to mike, he learned form that and called the time-out. The biggest thing is that they’ll call fouls. Players will adjust. There will be more freedom of movement. The game will speed up. “

Ton in Pulaski called just to congratulate the coach on “a good game. St. Bonaventure played their butts off. You guys came on with great guns.” JB: Our offense was better in the second half.

Jim said he’s been out to take a look as Plaza 44 and was very impressed. Jim brown came over an talked to the basketball team. They may not have been too sure who he was but “they could tell they were listening to somebody special. He was the best ever. Ernie Davis could have been even better and Floyd was not far behind.”

Jim praised our fall sports teams: the soccer team that won the ACC, the women’s field hockey team that is a #1 seed and the champion cross country team. He was at the Clemson game: “They played as hard as you can play. I don’t think people appreciate them enough. One play and they would have bene right there. Zack Mahoney looks pretty good and can both run and throw the ball. Remember that Clemson team beat Miami 59-0.“ (Actually 58-0.)

(I almost wish I had asked that second question.)

The Warriors were playing the Sixers. Coach admires the Warriors and Steph Curry. “They have a lot of fun player son that team”. The Sixers “are in the 4th or 5th year of what must be a 10 year rebuilding plan. At least Jerami Grant is getting to play.”
Not sure what game JB was watching, but the 76ers and Jerami were getting embarrassed by the Pacers last night. I wouldn't call it a rebuilding plan unless hiring a GM who is an idiot qualifies as a rebuilding plan.

Remember the Plavich game well. It was over thanksgiving break and I was a student at the time. Had to sit in the 300's cause there was no student section that game. Gmac was amazing that game as well. The zone was not as good as it is today, even with the current size defieciencies we have.

Not sure what game JB was watching, but the 76ers and Jerami were getting embarrassed by the Pacers last night. I wouldn't call it a rebuilding plan unless hiring a GM who is an idiot qualifies as a rebuilding plan.

" The Sixers “are in the 4th or 5th year of what must be a 10 year rebuilding plan. " He's obviously not impressed with their GM.

Moten's freshman season was indeed the last season of 15 scholarships, but even with our big five-man class of 1995 Boeheim only carried 12 scholarship guys. (And Moten was, as I recall, not nearly as heralded as Sekunda or Harris.)

We’ve got to go for four straight years with 10 players who are good and healthy. And what if you’ve got 10 guys lined up but one has academic problems and 1-2 go to the NBA early.
This kind of reads like JB knows there will be no reduction to the scholarships penalty. Or, is he just saying "as it stands right now..."?

Moten's freshman season was indeed the last season of 15 scholarships, but even with our big five-man class of 1995 Boeheim only carried 12 scholarship guys. (And Moten was, as I recall, not nearly as heralded as Sekunda or Harris.)

I don't believe [could be wrong] that Sekunda was highly rated--he wasn't top 100, as I recall. The top rated guys in that class were Luke Jackson and Harris. Z might have been toward the bottom end of the top 100 [I remember that he was getting recruited by Georgia Tech, amongst others]. Sekunda was one of those under the radar guys with good size / skills for a three. Moten and Reafsnyder were lower rated.

Or was Moten the class before? I think he was prop 48 and might have came in with that class, even though he was part of the previous class.

I don't believe [could be wrong] that Sekunda was highly rated--he wasn't top 100, as I recall. The top rated guys in that class were Luke Jackson and Harris. Z might have been toward the bottom end of the top 100 [I remember that he was getting recruited by Georgia Tech, amongst others]. Sekunda was one of those under the radar guys with good size / skills for a three. Moten and Reafsnyder were lower rated.

Or was Moten the class before? I think he was prop 48 and might have came in with that class, even though he was part of the previous class.

He was the New Jersey High School POY. Came in with Harris, Jackson, and Moten. Pretty sure he was on the last team that lead Penn State to the tourney. He was pretty good for them.

He was the New Jersey High School POY. Came in with Harris, Jackson, and Moten. Pretty sure he was on the last team that lead Penn State to the tourney. He was pretty good for them.

Sekunda was always one of the guys I thought what could have been had he stayed with us. Super scrappy player, I always thought of him as a Hopkins clone with a better shot.

Yeah, the New Jersey honor was what I was thinking of - I'm not too familiar with the rankings.

Completely forgot about the Prop 48 situation with Moten - I might want to retract my claim...not quite sure what happened, other than the fact that he scored 2,000+ points for us and not for Maryland, so we lucked out.

Had a good friend in college who played against Sekunda in high school--he was from Parsipanny, I believe--and was really bummed when he got dismissed from SU, because he was a big fan of the kid's potential. Sekunda was a very good player at Penn State, but really shot himself in the foot [pun intended] with how he got tossed out of school. Too bad--he could have been a very good player for us.

I have a "funny" Sekunda story, actually. Back in 1993, I was driving down to visit my girlfriend at the time, who lived on Long Island. Used to take 81 to 380, to 80 into NJ which took me to the GW bridge. Anyway, I'm in jersey speeding my a$$ off on route 80 and I get pulled over by a New Jersey state trooper who has me dead to rights going 75 in a 55. He approaches my car, asks for the license / registration, and then hitches his thumb toward the back of my car, where I had an enormous Syracuse decal in the back window. Trooper says: "You a 'Cuse basketball fan?"

After indicating that I was, the trooper asks: "What do you think of Glenn Sekunda?" So, being the recruitnik that I am, I explain how he's much better than I thought he was, how I was impressed by his shooting and how he's done a nice job having to play out of position to back up the 4, that he looks like a guy who could have a major impact, etc.

State trooper grunts, and then informs me: "He's my nephew." Hands me back my license and registration, and tells me to have a nice day.

Last edited:
Had a good friend in college who played against Sekunda in high school--he was from Parsipanny, I believe--and was really bummed when he got dismissed from SU, because he was a big fan of the kid's potential. Sekunda was a very good player at Penn State, but really shot himself in the foot [pun intended] with how he got tossed out of school. Too bad--he could have been a very good player for us.

I have a "funny" Sekunda story, actually. Back in 1993, I was driving down to visit my girlfriend at the time, who lived on Long Island. Used to take 81 to 380, to 80 into NJ which took me to the GW bridge. Anyway, I'm in jersey speeding my a$$ off on route 80 and I get pulled over by a New Jersey state trooper who has me dead to rights going 75 in a 55. He approaches my car, asks for the license / registration, and then hitches his thumb toward the back of my car, where I had an enormous Syracuse decal in the back window. Trooper says: "You a 'Cuse basketball fan?"

After indicating that I was, the trooper asks: "What do you think of Glenn Sekunda?" So, being the recruitnik that I am, I explain how he's much better than I thought he was, how I was impressed by his shooting and how he's done a nice job having to play out of position to back up the 4, that he looks like a guy who could have a major impact, etc.

State trooper grunts, and then informs me: "He's my nephew." Hands me back my license and registration, and tells me to have a nice day.

No kidding Rf, I don't live too far from Parsippany, have a bunch of friends from there.

I don't recall Sekunda being dismissed. I thought he just decided to transfer to Penn State. That was before the internet was really widespread though so I was trying to follow the program long distance from Georgia so may have missed that. What exactly happened? If you don't want to post 20 year old laundry, a PM would be great if you have time. I was disappointed when Glenn left because I liked his potential, so just curious.

Last edited:

Then he was worth a scholarship.

moten was considered a decent db prospect. i believe he even roomed with marvin graves.

Yeah,thank you SWC...I just moved to Alabama, so am missing the show for the first time in years. Your recaps are MUCH appreciated!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom