The Jim Boeheim Show - before Colgate | Syracusefan.com

The Jim Boeheim Show - before Colgate

SWC75

Bored Historian
Jim Boeheim’s radio show is on Thursdays from 7-8 or 9PM on ESPN Radio in Syracuse, which is AM1200 or FM 97.7 on the dial. The show originates from Shaughnessy’s at the Marriott in Downtown Syracuse. The first hour, hosted by Matt Park, the Voice of the Orange, is on their general network. The second hour, which begins with the conference season, is hosted by Gomez, a local radio personality.

You can call into the show locally at 315-424-8599 or nationally at 1-888-746-2873. For Gomez’s portion, use 315-424-8599. Or you can submit questions from this page:
Syracuse University Athletics
Or on Twitter at mattpark1 or “askBoeheim”.

The show can be heard in Syracuse on FM 99.5. It’s sometime simulcast on AM 1200 or FM 97.7. You can also get it on: Listen to The Jim Bohannon Show on WGVA on TuneIn

I will be posting my rough transcript the night of the broadcast focusing on my questions, the team and their last and next games and then a second post the next day on other things that were discussed.

MY QUESTIONS/COMMENTS

“Coach, I noticed an interesting stat from the Kansas game: We led in “bench points” 3-2. That didn’t have much to do with the result. Maybe depth is over-rated. But we do seem to have a depth problem now in the backcourt. You had to play Frank Howard 39 minutes and Tyus Battle 40 against Connecticut and Frank was having a bad game. What can Howard Washington contribute as the season progresses and are there any walk-ons who might be able to help us in a pinch?”

COACH BOEHEIM
(I have, in some instances, put together statements from different parts of the broadcast on the same subject. In recent years they have started out doing one hour shows and then shifted to two hour shows in January. When they do two hour shows. I will do two posts: one on the night of the broadcast on the issues directly relating to the team on the other the next days on other things that were talked about.)

(They haven’t begun the two hour shows yet. That will probably come after the first of the year.)

Coach described the win over Connecticut in New York: “it was a real good crowd, half and half for each team. They sold every seat in the Garden. That doesn’t happen except for UCONN and us. They were into the game from the beginning. There was great effort with a lot of bad basketball. Every time we got in good position we’d make a bad turnover. The two teams never got into rhythm. You have to have it to be a real good team.”

Frank made a couple really good plays early but then he struggled. Bourama’s is still bothered by his ankle. Paschal was solid but had 2-3 bad fouls. Marek did well. We’ve never played three freshmen up front. Paschal didn’t play as a freshman, sat out a year and was injured last year.

Matt Park suggested that Matt Moyer was the difference in the game. He wondered how much enthusiasm a dunk like his two follow-ups creates. JB simply said “He had 6 points in 6 games and then he has a huge game like this. It makes all the difference.”

I did a clever thing, (as you know, I'm very clever, or think I am.). I was torn between asking the question above and asking how DeVonte Graham managed to get 35 points against us and only 3 points against Mike Hopkins’ version of the 2-3 zone. That seemed a more interesting question but also a more confrontational one. My dilemma was resolved by the program’s defective phone system that cut me off and forced me to call back. I began my call with a wise crack “Your phone system isn’t functioning any better than DeVonte Graham did last night.” I knew that would set JB off on the subject – but not at me.

“it happens in basketball. Against us he was 5 feet beyond the line, sometimes jumping and not even looking. It’s the kind of shot we normally want guys to take.

Having told my “joke” I proceeded to ask the question above. JB: “We aren’t really thin. We have 8 guys and that’s what we normally use. We usually play 3 guards. Howard Washington is very steady, has a good feel for the game and doesn’t make mistakes. He was even telling the other players what to do while he was out there. He was shooting the ball well in practice early, then fell off. But he can shoot the ball. He played in big games in high school.” Matt noted that Howard started his high school career in Buffalo and was stand-out there, then moved on to “elite programs” in Florida and Canada that have sent a lot of players onto Division 1 programs. JB said that he “played 40 games against high level completion. We have a lot of confidence in him. But he’s got two of the best guards playing together in the country ahead of him, when they play like they did against Maryland.”

About the walk on, he said Braedon Bayer could certainly help us if needed- but he’s playing behind Tyus Battle. Braedon is “a solid senior walk-on.”

“Geno was hurt. He didn’t want to face the music and play through it. “
Fred Astaire & Ginger Rogers: Let's Face The Music And Dance 1936
“It’s not sad for us. It’s sad for him. He’s never played for a successful program. He just wanted to play all the time.” I noted that he’s reduced his playing time to zero.

Liam in Pompey called in to ask if Jim had given Mike Hopkins any advice. JB: “They learned our lesson. We didn’t get enough pressure on Graham. They did. But the big thing was that they scored whenever Kansas scored. They did a great job of playing the zone well but had good offensive players. But that’s college basketball. Ball State is not very good but they won at Notre Dame. Loyola of Chicago is not very good but they won at Florida.”

Phil in Syracuse said that “Frank Howard is a different player this year.” Was he pushing too much against Connecticut?” JB: “They pressured us. When that happens, you have go by them and make plays. You can’t run your normal offense. He made some bad decisions. He had a bad game just like DeVonte Graham and like Steph Curry, who was 0 for 10 when he got hurt.

After the game, Jim attended Bruce Springsteen’s show, which he described as similar to Billy Crystal’s one man show. Jim was with Bob Costas and they dined in a restaurant when Springsteen came in and sat two tables away, (Jim was clearly star-struck). Costas knew Springsteen’s people and they got to go backstage and Jim shook his hand. It turns out Bruce spends a lot of time in Syracuse as his daughter is up here and is a world class horsewoman. He said Bruce is a quiet guy who seems to reserve everything for his performances. Matt suggested that he’s like Jim in that respect. Jim said “But he has 100X more talent."

Jim said that he got to do some shopping in NYC and had never seen so many people down there. he went to Saks 5th Avenue. It’s so lighted up people came just to see the building.
Saks Fifth Avenue Holiday Light Show 2017 debut in New York
There were so many people there, 500 women were in the shoe department. “And it isn’t even that large.”

Jim drove home at 3 O’clock in the morning but did so happily. Defeating Connecticut in the Garden, shaking hands with Bruce Springsteen. New York City at Christmas time. Seeing that Sak’s light display. Does it get any better than that?

Matt asked about some of the recent thrillers in college basketball. He still hasn’t seen the Hofstra-Monmouth ending, when Monmouth fouled up 3, Hofstra made one and intentionally missed and the ball caromed out to the three point line where a Hofstra player got it and sank the game winning shot. “We’ve been fouling in that situation for about ten years. One game we let the guy shoot it and wound up in overtime.”
Hofstra vs. Monmouth - Game Summary - December 6, 2017 - ESPN

Against Marist, Colgate intercepted an inbounds pass toward the backcourt with a second left and a guy hit a half-court shot to apparently win it. After a five minute discussion that was disallowed. JB: “You never inbound into the backcourt on the last play. One time our guy got it and dribbled in for a lay-up that won the game. (Anybody remember that one? I don’t.)
Colgate Raiders College Basketball - Colgate News, Scores, Stats, Rumors & More - ESPN

I still remember years ago Fordham was playing Creighton in a tournament and led by 8 with 1 second to go. Their players had decided to douse their coach with ice water to celebrate the upset and did so at that moment. The ice water spilled onto the court. The ref signaled a technical foul on the Fordham bench. At that instant, a three pointer swished through the hoop for Creighton. The refs put a second back on the clock and gave Creighton two foul shots and the ball. They made both free throws, inbounded and hit another three pointer. An 8 point lead gone in 1 second!. But the refs, after a similarly long conversation, decided the second trey was released just after the buzzer, thus saving the Fordham players from running the bleachers for a semester.

Coach said that Colgate was “a much improved team. They have some outstanding freshman who can score. They were up 16-17 points on Boston College and also on Connecticut. They’ve made strides and this is their best team. (They were up 47-30 on BC but lost 79-83. The last lead they had vs. UCONN was 4-0 but it was only 31-33 at the half before they lost 58-70.)

Dennis DuVal and Lawrence Moten are having their numbers retired this season. “Dennis was a great player and is a great guy. He’s had a great career.” Jim was an assistant at the time but was his positon coach. Matt interviewed “Sweet D” on his show today and he said that Boeheim told him “If you want to be an All-American, this is what you have to do. He did it and became an All-American.” Jim then made a strange comment. “It was the late 60’s – a time of campus upheaval. They wanted Dennis to join them. He grabbed a baseball bat and told them “Don’t come around here.” Dennis was born March 31, 1952 and played for SU from 1971-74. Maybe there was some upheaval then, too.

Lawrence Moten is the leading all-time scorer for both Syracuse and the Big East. “Every night he got 20 points- a quiet 20 points”. Is there a ‘modern’ player like him, (the 1990’s are no longer ‘modern’). Matt described him as “always seeming to be going slower than anybody else- his feet were always on the ground.” Jim he was “athletic. He could run and jump and shoot like Dave Bing.” My now memory of Moten was that he never stopped moving- in and out, around. Baseline, three point line, wherever there was an open shot. I don’t remember him dunking but he always knew where the ball was and just ran his defenders into the ground trying to keep up with him. He didn’t care whether it was a two or three pointer, so long as he could make it. I wish there was a ‘modern’ players like him.

Jim still hasn’t seen the women’s team play but is anxious to. He wants to see Tiana
Mangakahia in action. She’s averaging 11.4 assist per game, which leads the nation by a large margin.
Assists Per Game | DI Women's Basketball Statistics - NCAA.com
“She keeps finding assists out there someplace. “

Pat called in to congratulate the coach, not only on beating UCONN but finally winning after they’d lost the last 8 times Pat had gone to MSG to see them. He asked why we didn’t do what Washington did and “stray out” to the three point line and avoid “dropping in” when the ball went into the high post. JB: “We did stray out but he was 4 feet behind the line. We needed to go out 4 more feet. They gave up the inside. We did a little, too. But you aren’t going to stop good teams from scoring. If Graham had had an off night, then we’re in the game.” Matt pointed out that he’d been shooting 28% from three until the Toledo game and then he went off on them and us but came back down to earth against Washington. JB: “We did a great job on everybody else. We didn’t get out quite far enough. We didn’t score enough. Washington scored 74. You can’t beat good teams scoring 60.”

On other sports topics: “Tennessee got a guy from Alabama, who they hate…..The NFL is a tough game. That’s why they call it tackle football…..Aaron Boone – you never know. I was a Joe Girardi guy….Should football go to an 8 team tournament? There’s always going to be a 9th team. But a 5th team might have a chance. A 9th team wouldn’t have too much chance. They could do 8 and still get in exams.”

Last edited:
Against Marist, Colgate intercepted an inbounds pass toward the backcourt with a second left and a guy hit a half-court shot to apparently win it. After a five minute discussion that was disallowed. JB: “You never inbound into the backcourt on the last play. One time our guy got it and dribbled in for a lay-up that won the game. (Anybody remember that one? I don’t.)

I seem to remember a game in Manley my senior year against maybe Fordam in 1974/75 where Mark Wadach drove for a layup at the buzzer but I thought that was after a missed free throw rather than an inbound.

I seem to remember a game in Manley my senior year against maybe Fordam in 1974/75 where Mark Wadach drove for a layup at the buzzer but I thought that was after a missed free throw rather than an inbound.

You wouldn't be thinking of the 1972 Fordham game would you? Here is my description from my account of my early days as an SU fan, which I called "From the Mists of Time" when i posted it a few years back:

"SU led almost the entire game, just had they had in that first game I’d seen five years before against St. John’s. And, just as happened in that game, the big bad team from New York City pulled ahead in the final minute. The Rams had no Sonny Dove but it sure looked like they were going to win. In the grand tradition, SU fans got up in droves to leave. I admit I did too, but I lingered at the door, starring back at the court, which in those days was constructed right on top of the dirt floor the football team used for indoor practice sessions. The vibrations of the players and heat generated by the fans sent fine particles of dirt and dust flowing up to the rafters. The lights illuminated this and created something approximating a dream sequence. SU had somehow gotten back within a single point but there were only a couple of seconds left and a Fordham player was at the line for a one-and-one. He missed. Somebody ripped the ball down for SU and rifled it to midcourt, where a pass was made to a driving Chuck Wichman- the “scrub” who had destroyed Niagara the year before. Wichman made a running lay-up at the buzzer and what was left of the crowd stormed the court. I ran out into the parking lot shouting “WE WON!!! WE WON!!!!”. People looked at me as if I were crazy. They were right but so was I. Chuck Wichman never scored more than 6 points in a game in his career but no one who remembers that era will ever forget him. "

I think it was Stevie Thompson against UConn..the game was tied at the time

I think it was Stevie Thompson against UConn..the game was tied at the time
Game date was 2/20/88 @ Uconn.
I cannot find a gamer on google however.
I'd bet a lot of cash this is what JAB was referencing.

Jim then made a strange comment. “It was the late 60’s – a time of campus upheaval. They wanted Dennis to join them. He grabbed a baseball bat and told them “Don’t come around here.” Dennis was born March 31, 1952 and played for SU from 1971-74. Maybe there was some upheaval then, too.

Might be a reference to racial issues, the football program.

Should have asked him about the tryout for the Army kid, that's coming up soon isn't it?

Don't think he's allowed to comment on anyone who is not signed.

I would have been there, but I don't remember that play.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom