The Jim Boeheim Show - before Florida State II | Syracusefan.com

The Jim Boeheim Show - before Florida State II

SWC75

Bored Historian
Jim Boeheim’s radio show is on Thursdays from 7-8 or 9PM on ESPN Radio in Syracuse, which is AM1200 or FM 97.7 on the dial. The show is at Carrabba's Italian Grill at 550 Towne Drive, Fayetteville, NY. The first hour, hosted by Matt Park, the Voice of the Orange, is on their general network. The second hour, which usually begins with the conference season, is hosted by Gomez, a local radio personality.
Their schedule: The AmeriCU Jim Boeheim Show Begins Tonight! - Syracuse University Athletics

You can call into the show locally at 315-424-8599 or nationally at 1-888-746-2873. For Gomez’s portion, use 315-424-8599. Or you can submit questions from this page:
Submit a Question! - Syracuse University Athletics
Or on Twitter at mattpark1 or “askBoeheim”.

The show can be heard in Syracuse on FM 99.5. It’s sometime simulcast on AM 1200 or FM 97.7. You can also get it on: TuneIn | Free Internet Radio | Live News, Sports, Music, and Podcasts
There’s now a third segment where Jim and Gomez can be seen on camera at:
The early shows tend to be in a one-hour format. I'll post a summary of them the same night. When they do two hour shows. I will do two posts: the Matt Park segment the night of the show and the Gomez segments the next day.

MY QUESTIONS/COMMENTS

1st Segment Question:

“Coach, we seem to be improving: we’ve out-rebounded all our ACC opponents, we’ve had four fewer turnovers than each of our last two opponents and held both of them under their season’s scoring average, making Pitt go more than 9 minutes in the second half before they hit a field goal. We beat Brown and Cornell, then lost close games to Virginia and two 13-3 teams and then beat a Pitt team that had lost three conference games by a total of 4 points by 16. Have we turned things around and how good of a defensive team could this team become?”

2nd Segment Question:

“Coach if this team continues to improve, how much of that improvement is likely to come from your starting five and how much of it is likely to come from your bench?”

COACH BOEHEIM
(I have, in some instances, put together statements from different parts of the broadcast on the same subject. The quotes may not be verbatim –they are from my scribbled notes. I have not knowingly changed the meaning.)

Matt announced ”We’re back to .500 at 8-8”. That did not engender an enthusiastic response from the coach. “We played well at Miami, except for the turnovers, and at Wake Forest. Pitt played well I the first half/ In the second half, we were a little bit better on defense. We didn’t allow the inside stuff we allowed in the first half. Our defense has improved. We are rebounding better. We’ve got our most efficient offense in years.”

I tried to call in my first question but a series of technical glitches prevented it. Matt went to some questions that came in off of twitter. “Why don’t the players huddle up to communicate better?’ Jim: “We communicate all the time. 5 guys don’t need to huddle.” Matt says he can hear the coach communicating the next play during free throws.

Matt when summarized my question, asking the coach if he thinks he’ll be really pleased with the way the team is playing by 2-4 weeks form now. JB: “I hope it’s sooner than that. We’ve done some good things at certain times. We are definitely rebounding better and our offense is good.”

Matt noted that Buddy finally got some good looks and hit his first four threes. Coach said “I’m surprised he got them against Pittsburgh. They are usually a good defensive team. Florida State and other teams watch film and they will see how he got them and he won’t get many the rest of the year. He gets fewer good looks than anybody in the country. We need more balance. Joe and Cole have to get more consistent. We’re working with Benny. John Bol played well in practice. Players know that if a coach doesn’t put his best player out there, he’s not doing a good job of coaching. A few years ago I had a McDonald’s All-American who played 10 minutes a game behind an unknown who played 35. But the McDonald’s All-American became a good player. Jimmy and Cole have played well and Benny’s not close to them. High school ratings are about what you did in high school. Benny really has to work hard and there’s lot of work ahead. Fortunately our starters have played as well as they have. We could easily have lost to Indiana and Florida State.”

Susan from Mineola was at the restaurant and asked why we have so many ‘almost wins’. Jim talked about Miami’s comeback, saying it was close at the end but “they made a few plays”. He recalled watching Maryland erase a 19-point deficit against Wisconsin and take the lead, only to lose by a point in the end. “Against Wake Forest, we were behind and took the lead. They hit it out and the referee made the wrong call.

John in Utica expressed admiration for Jimmy Boeheim’s play and asked if the coach was surprised. He was, a bit. “Ivy League players usually struggle in their transition year because of the higher level of play. He’s scoring well, rebounding and his defense is getting better.

Ham in Camillus wondered if this team has enough ‘length’. JB: “We’ve got plenty of length. we’re not as quick and physically strong as we need to be. Our guards have gotten better at preventing penetration and getting out on the shooters. Interior defense has bene a problem, although we did a better job on Hughley.

Matt started his run through the ACC. Miami lost to Florida State on a ‘tough call’. Jim felt that there was some contact there. Miami beat Duke “but they’d been off 10-12 days. Miami has good guard play and all their guys can drive and score. Virginia Tech is really good and they are 0-4. Notre Dame has won 6 in a row and beat Clemson who won big at Virginia. You’re not going to win going 2-19 on the road.”

I’d been cut off, called back, been on hold for 20 minutes while they apparently didn’t know I was there, called back again and finally got through, only to have a connection where I could barely hear them. I modified my first question to point out that our strong late-season runs over the years had been largely fueled by excellent defense: has this team turned the corner and can they be that good on defense with this lineup? From what I was able to hear the last part of that question was not answered, with the coach simply saying that “we can play better on defense, that we’re halfway though the season with 4 new guys on the front line who had never played together. The offense has been pretty consistent, and the defense is getting better”. Perhaps the failure to answer the question of whether we can become a good defensive team with this line-up was the answer to the question.

Mike in Charlotte asked if Jimmy Boeheim could come back next year. JB: “I think he should be able to comeback because they ivy league didn’t play last year. We are applying for him.” Mike then went into a rambling question about how we hadn’t used all 13 scholarships, (which is wrong- we had 13 scholarship players the last two years, before some of them left). Doesn’t that leave us too thin? Mike went on and on about this, with the coach making several attempts to begin an answer and Mike talking right through him. Matt started saying “whoa! Whoa! And “Earth to Mike”. Finally he stopped and Jim said “let me try to answer your question – unless you are answering it….We wanted another guard but no one wanted to come here to be the fourth guard. They all wanted to start. We wound up with 3 centers, 4 forwards and 3 guards. [Confirming that John Bol Ajak is considered a forward.] next year we’ll have Joe and Sy and two new guards coming in. Hopefully Benny and John Bol will be back. That will give us four forwards. We’ll lose Bourama but will gain a center and thus still have three of them. You want 11 players, not 13. We’re in great shape for next year. Buddy, Jimmy or Cole could come back, but you can’t count on it. More guys would put you over the limit.” They asked if Mike was still there and he wasn’t.

“We’re going to try to play Georgia Tech but we don’t know when.”

Josh in Boulder wondered if a pre-shot ritual could help Jimmy’s free throw shooting. JB: “We’ve worked with him and he’s cocking it a bit more. He’s better now and should be OK. Jesse is not consistent. He hasn’t bene playing basketball his whole life so this is all new to him. He ahs good form.”

Tim in Fayetteville asked why Jesse is ‘t staying down low -he’s always setting screen and picks and then rolling to the basket. He said that Symir and benny “can beat their own man”. Jim: “Benny can’t do that right now. Sy is doing it some but he’s not being guarded. Jesse is 1 for 10 outside of the paint. I’ve watched a whole game tonight between Seton Hall and DePaul and there’s not been a post pass for either team. I haven’t seen NBA teams do it for a long time. Jesse’s problem is physical strength. They let you push once and that stops him. Villanova lets their guards dribble right into the post. Jesse’s game is moving and getting to the boards. He’s getting better every game.”

Elijah Hughes celebrated his first NBA start by playing 41 minutes for the Jazz and scoring 26 points with 8 rebounds and 4 assists. He got his chance because a player had contracted Covid -and then Elijah did, too. Oshae Brissett is playing again. Matt suggested that the 15th guy on and NBA team’s bench is one of the best players in the world. Jim disagreed. “there are the stars, then there are bunch of players who are really good, then the last four guys could be replaced with another four guys and you wouldn’t know the difference. But it’s hard to get one of those spots.

Jim had picked Georgia to beat Alabama, “although it’s hard to expect Nick Saban to lose. They’ve been the best team all year and they were going to make adjustments. Georgia was going to do what ti took win – broken arms…..A major writer had written that they’d never win anything with that quarterback. …There’s such a talent disparity in college football.”

Mel in Cicero got in one last phone call that ended the Matt Park segment. Mel sound as if he was still celebrating the new year. “Coach all these teams seem to stand out there and throw up all these three pointers. Why don’t you send your players out there to put a hand in their face?” JB: “We try, Mel, we try….”

I’ll do the Gomez segment tomorrow.

So Jimmy and buddy could be back next year ? Hey now

So in the preseason interview JB said there were players that we could have taken that we turned down because we liked what we have, and in this radio show JB now says "We wanted another guard but no one wanted to come here to be the fourth guard. They all wanted to start."

Which is interesting, because JB admitted to the rotation being fixed going into the season, and also that there may have been starter level talent, or at the very least someone that could have bumped Symir from the third guard spot, that we either passed on or they turned us down because there wasn't going to be a fair shot at playing time.

These things matter a lot when you're 8 and 8.

Thanks as always for the recap. This was quite a show. JB has two weeks' worth of whoppers ready. I don't even need to wait for the Gomez hour to have plenty of material for my weekly power rankings for most comical JB statements:

1. On why the defense has been bad, "...we’re halfway though the season with 4 new guys on the front line who had never played together.”

Hmmm, I wonder why all the forwards who could have returned chose not to.

2. "A few years ago I had a McDonald’s All-American who played 10 minutes a game behind an unknown who played 35. But the McDonald’s All-American became a good player."

I assume he’s talking about Rakeem Christmas. This is a howler because characterizing Rak as a 10 minutes per game player is somewhat misleading. I checked his game log from that season and he had 8 games where he started and played 3 minutes or less. The average was fattened up by cupcake and games when Fab wasn’t available.

3. We wanted another guard but no one wanted to come here to be the fourth guard.

OttoinGrotto covered this earlier.

4. Our guards have gotten better at preventing penetration and getting out on the shooters. Interior defense has been a problem.

LOL! (Part of the guards’ responsibility is keeping the ball out of the interior.)

5. Pittsburgh is usually a good defensive team.

Their best national defensive efficiency ranking on barttorvik.com during the Capel era is 84.

Honorable mention

Re: Jimmy’s free throw shooting: “We’ve worked with him and he’s cocking it a bit more.”

Hell yeah!

Thanks as always for the recap. This was quite a show. JB has two weeks' worth of whoppers ready. I don't even need to wait for the Gomez hour to have plenty of material for my weekly power rankings for most comical JB statements:

1. On why the defense has been bad, "...we’re halfway though the season with 4 new guys on the front line who had never played together.”

Hmmm, I wonder why all the forwards who could have returned chose not to.

2. "A few years ago I had a McDonald’s All-American who played 10 minutes a game behind an unknown who played 35. But the McDonald’s All-American became a good player."

I assume he’s talking about Rakeem Christmas. This is a howler because characterizing Rak as a 10 minutes per game player is somewhat misleading. I checked his game log from that season and he had 8 games where he started and played 3 minutes or less. The average was fattened up by cupcake and games when Fab wasn’t available.

3. We wanted another guard but no one wanted to come here to be the fourth guard.

OttoinGrotto covered this earlier.

4. Our guards have gotten better at preventing penetration and getting out on the shooters. Interior defense has been a problem.

LOL! (Part of the guards’ responsibility is keeping the ball out of the interior.)

5. Pittsburgh is usually a good defensive team.

Their best national defensive efficiency ranking on barttorvik.com during the Capel era is 84.

Honorable mention

Re: Jimmy’s free throw shooting: “We’ve worked with him and he’s cocking it a bit more.”

Hell yeah!
While I was waiting to speak I thought MCW behind Triche or Scoop but I think you are right about Rak.

As I don’t remember those guys being 35 MPG guys.

Dion wasn’t as McD All-American I don’t think either.

While I was waiting to speak I thought MCW behind Triche or Scoop but I think you are right about Rak.

You may be right about MCW. If it was MCW, saying he was a 10 mpg guy is more erroneous, because he was getting DNPs down the stretch that year.

So in the preseason interview JB said there were players that we could have taken that we turned down because we liked what we have, and in this radio show JB now says "We wanted another guard but no one wanted to come here to be the fourth guard. They all wanted to start."

Which is interesting, because JB admitted to the rotation being fixed going into the season, and also that there may have been starter level talent, or at the very least someone that could have bumped Symir from the third guard spot, that we either passed on or they turned us down because there wasn't going to be a fair shot at playing time.

These things matter a lot when you're 8 and 8.

Bc hes fos

Interior defense has been a problem.

Oh, I dunno...

Maybe that's because the best shot-blocker we've had since Fab, is constantly having to sprint out to contest the corner 3, since the Forwards we have are glacially slow and cannot do that themselves?

Thereby leaving the paint WIDE OPEN for easy drives and putbacks.

A couple of stories first:

Mel’s question inspired a memory of a story about Red Grange. Michigan Coach Fielding Yost got home after Grange had scored those 6 touchdowns against his team back in 1924, feeling stunned and depressed. His wife, seeing him that way, made a helpful suggestion: “Why didn’t you send someone in to tackle that red-haired boy?”

Jim referred to a “major writer” who predicted that Georgia would never win a national title with Stetson Bennett at quarterback. I happened to be reading about Green Bay Packer Johnny “Blood” McNally, who tried a coaching career after his playing days, (the 20’s and 30’s) were over. Wikipedia had a couple of good stories about him:

He became the head coach of the Pittsburgh Pirates, (later re-named the Steelers). Art Rooney: “"As one of our veterans once said, 'This is the only team I've been on where the players worry about the coach instead of the other way around.'"… “During the 1938 season, which would be McNally's last full season as coach, the Pirates were set to play the rival Philadelphia Eagles at Laidley Field in Charleston, West Virginia on November 20, but McNally was nowhere to be seen. As the story is often told, McNally was instead attending a football game at the Rose Bowl in Los Angeles. Friends in the press box questioned McNally as to why he was on the West Coast and he replied that the Pirates had an open date. The scoreboard, however, proved otherwise. Pittsburgh was on the road playing without its boss present. "I was going to fire him", Rooney later said, "But the players loved him. So I told him, 'John, you have to make the games.'"

McNally later became head coach of his alma mater, St. John’s University of Collegeville Minnesota. After three years there, he quit in a huff and old his successor, "Nobody can win at St. John's." The successor was a 26 year old young man named John Gagliardi, who coached there for 60 years, winning 489 games and 4 national championships. So much for predictions.
Johnny "Blood" McNally - Wikipedia

Anyway, Jim told Gomez “We focused on defense in the Pitt game. When we can get stops, it gives us breathing space. The starters are playing well. Frank and Sy are doing better but we’re struggling on defense no mater who is out there.”

Gomez noted our close losses and said that we could easily have “won 14 games by now”. That was a bit much but Jim responded “We needed a couple more. We’re behind the 8 ball and need to get a streak going.”

He also talked about Jesse’s fouls, saying that he cut down on the foolish ones against Pitt. Jim recalled that “Conrad, (McRae), had some bad fouls as a freshman. A lot of first year players have bad fouls.” Arinze Onuaku said that he never had to cover the corner. Jim: “He was a different sort of center. He was smart and used his big body well. He would have had a hard time covering territory today. We were fortunate to bring in players like Rakeem and Baye. Jesse uses his length and good movement. He struggles with consistency. He never played this game growing up. Last year he was 210. Now he’s up to 228. He’s a sophomore and will have two more years to build himself up.”

Gomez mentioned that Arinze had fouled out in the 6OT game against Connecticut, 2009. He had made a statement about how he got to watch that game as a fan. Gomez noted that Andy Rautins played 50 minutes coming off the bench in that game. Jim fondly remembered the game Jonny Flynn had, including 16 for 16 from the foul line when 15 of 16 would not have been enough. The game is played on a loop on a monitor at the Melo Center and Jim said that his players watch it from time-to-time. “That game was an OK game for about three quarters, (we don’t have quarters in men’s basketball so I assume he meant ¾ of the 70 minutes), The last 30 minutes were full of incredible plays. I’m glad we won so we can talk about it. Connecticut never talks about that game.”

They talked about Benny Williams. Jim referred to a Wisconsin player, (Johnny Davis), who was a top recruit and scored just 7 points a game last year and this year he’s “the leading candidate for player of the year and has gone from not being on the draft board to a top 5 pick”. He offered that as an example of a very talented player who wasn’t yet ready to be a star as a freshman.
Personally, I would love it if Benny was averaging 7 points and 4 rebounds a game and hitting 39% of his three pointers while playing 24 minutes a game.
Benny Williams Stats | ESPN

Gomez asked what players in Jim tenure had had the biggest year-to-year improvement he mentioned Hakim Warrick, Andy Rautins, Etan Thomas, Arinze Onukau and Buddy, who shot poorly and was one-dimensional as a freshman but is now “one of the better guards in the league and the country”. Gomez praised Benny for the two jump shots he made against Wake Forest. Jim was not as impressed. “Benny’s not a jump shooter. He’s 6-9 and strong. He needs to be more physical around the basket.” (He’s listed as 6-8, 208, FWIW.)

I called in my second question, adding the suggestion that the starters have achieved most of their potential while the reserves have a ways to go. Jim said it was a good question but…”The key is the defense. Our starters hadn’t played together. The veterans are learning the rotation better and moving better. The bench has improved a little. Frank is better, Sy is better and Benny is [sorry – I was unable to read what I scribbled there]. We’re lucky to have five good starters. Most team go with their starters and a couple other guys sneak in there.” Jim thought I was asking him to play the bench more. I was just saying that significant improvements would have to come from players who could get a lot better – and that they would get more playing time once they did.

Shaquille O’Neal owned part of the Sacramento Kings but had to sell it because he’s now the ‘face’ of a gambling website. He’ll probably make more money doing that. Jim took this occasion to express his doubts that legalizing gambling in New York State was such a good idea. “Kids can get on the phone and call in bets. The sites and casinos win. I told my kids to keep track of it for a year and see how well you do. I’ve never seen a person who won a fortune gambling. I’ve seen people with $15-20 million lose everything. It’s OK if you want to sit in on a poker game or something but you need to have limits.”

I, too wonder about the impact of legalizing gambling. I recall this episode of the old TV series “The Untouchables:
The Untouchables (12) 1959 – You cant pick the Number
…with Elliot Ness railing against a scheme to extract millions from people who can’t afford it but have dreams of financial liberation in what was then known as the “numbers racket”. Now we call it the lottery. It’s legal and run by the state, who uses it for education, rather than criminal activities. But it still leaches money from those who can least afford it. I think gambling tends to do the same thing. And what if athletes wind up owing money to gamblers?

They then went to the “Twitch” segment. Buddy had just been on there in a separate interview and was asked what question he would ask his father. He wants his dad to identify the best golfer in the family. Jim’s answer: “He knows. They can out-drive me but they still can’t beat me – and I’m not good anymore.” Jim had previously discussed the two times he had played at Augusta. Gomez now asked him about Pebble Beach. He’s played there many times, the first time a couple of years after he’d graduated from SU. He drove across the country and stayed with a doctor, (he didn’t elaborate), and drove over to the course. This was “before all the hype. They had a ramshackle pro shop – really just a tent. It was perfect - 70 degrees with no win. I had the course all to myself. Mine was the only car in the parking lot. I played really well – about a 75. It cost me about 10 bucks, maybe 5? The last time I played there it cost $700 and took 6 hours to play the course because so many people were lined up to do it.” He recalled being in a foursome with Michael Jordan, Charles Barkley and Reggie Jackson on time. “We were on a Nike tour. People were stopping and leaving their cars on the road to come and watch us. Mike took Charles for a lot of money. I didn’t get into it but I once won $25 on a better over 3 holes with Michael in Mexico.” How many people get to say that they won $25 from Michael Jordan in Mexico?

Jim said that he’s been to all 50 states. He thinks Montana was the last one.

Jim remembered Charles as a player. “He was only 6-4, 6-5 but incredibly strong. Even the 7 footers were afraid of him. But he is still a better talker than he was a player.”

Gomez asked Jim what his advice to new golfers was. “Get some decent clubs. Take 4-5 lessons to get a decent swing. If you try to do it on your own, it will get frustrating and you’ll quit.”

He watched you-know-who’s last game for Seton Hall. “He got to the basket every time. He’s good. He’s worked hard to get in better shape. He’s a big, strong guard.

Gomez asked about the call in the Wake Forest game. “When the refs don’t see it, they make a call anyway, [see the 2014 game at Duke]. They should just admit they don’t know what happened and call a jump ball.” Gomez asked him about wearing a pullover instead of a dress jacket. What is he going to throw? JB: “I’m glad I’m not dressed up. I’ll throw whatever I’m wearing now.” Please don’t, coach.

What players did you know would be good immediately? “Pearl, DC, Melo, GMAC…Tyler Ennis wouldn’t have bene fits from playing another year here. He got drafted right away and made money. He was not gifted athletically. He played well overseas, then had a couple of injuries…We let Donte Greene shoot as a freshman because Devo and Andy were out. If he’d stayed another year he wouldn’t have shot so much and wouldn’t have been drafted.”

The transfer portal changes are going to be permanent but “Basketball is not like football. If you play, you lose the year.”

About the anniversary of the January insurrection: “Those 1/6 people are not close to being right. If they were standing out in the rain, they’d insist that it’s not raining. They think that you are the one who is crazy.”

Jim’s never been to an NFL game, although he’s had some opportunities. “I’d rather watch it on TV, especially outdoors.”

How do you listen while not being local? I found it last season but forgot how I did it lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom