The Jim Boeheim Show - before Florida State | Syracusefan.com

The Jim Boeheim Show - before Florida State

SWC75

Bored Historian
Jim Boeheim’s radio show is on Thursdays from 7-8 or 9PM on ESPN Radio in Syracuse, which is AM1200 or FM 97.7 on the dial. The show originates from Shaughnessy’s at the Marriott in Downtown Syracuse. The first hour, hosted by Matt Park, the Voice of the Orange, is on their general network. The second hour, which begins with the conference season, is hosted by Gomez, a local radio personality.

You can call into the show locally at 315-424-8599 or nationally at 1-888-746-2873. For Gomez’s portion, use 315-424-8599. Or you can submit questions from this page:
Syracuse University Athletics
Or on Twitter at mattpark1 or “askBoeheim”.

The show can be heard in Syracuse on FM 99.5. It’s sometime simulcast on AM 1200 or FM 97.7. You can also get it on: http://tunein.com

I will be posting my rough transcript the night of the broadcast focusing on my questions, the team and their last and next games and then a second post the next day on other things that were discussed.

MY QUESTIONS/COMMENTS

First Hour:

“Coach, earlier in the season, it was suggested that our big men were too skinny to be effective in the paint and on the boards. You pointed out that we’d have players like Louie Orr and Hakim Warrick who were skinny but very effective. After the Notre Dame game, you said our rebounding problems were because we had 180 pounders going up against more muscular players. Then we came back and out-rebounded Virginia. What did we do to turn things around? “

Second Hour:

“Coach, a big part of our game is getting to the line more than the other team. But in the last two games we’ve attempted 17 free throws and the opposition has attempted 38. Are we playing the game any differently or are the games being called differently?”

COACH BOEHEIM
(I have, in some instances, put together statements from different parts of the broadcast on the same subject. In recent years they have started out doing one hour shows and then shifted to two hour shows in January. When they do two hour shows. I will do two posts: one on the night of the broadcast on the issues directly relating to the team on the other the next days on other things that were talked about.)

(They care now doing two hour shows. The second hour is hosted by Gomez, a local radio personality. There are three musical interludes, one every 20 minutes, so if you tune in at 8PM it’s going to sound as if the Boeheim show has ended but stick with it. As last year, the night of the show I will post comments relating directly to the SU basketball team. I’ll post “Part 2” on Friday, which will contain other topics that were discussed. )

Matt Park described the difficulty of the schedule. Coach Boeheim: “When you are playing poorly, it doesn’t matter who you are playing. . We played pretty well on the boards and on defense. We stayed within 2-4 points most of the night. It gave us an opportunity to do something. We had too many turnovers: a charge, 2 walks and a bad pass. “

Matt noted that Florida State had just had a 28 game home court winning streak stopped by Louisville. FSU leads the conference in treys. JB: They have a lot of guys who can shoot. They were up 17 at the half but couldn’t get anything done in the second half. They still might have won except for a couple of late turnovers.” The FSU coach said they had trouble with Louisville’s length: is that a good sign for Syracuse? “They were playing great and went cold, then lost the game on a couple of bad turnovers. They lost some pros and are playing at high level.” Florida State leads the conference in the number of treys. “They have a lot of good shooters. They lost 2-3 pros and yet are playing on a high level. It’s not easy on the road. You have to be playing well to win on the road.“ Pittsburgh has lost Brian Luther, who had been averaging a double-double. They just lost to Duke 52-87. “It was a blow to lose Luther. He was their veteran guy.”

Clemson is 14-1 and ranked #19. “They have a veteran team – 2-3 seniors in the line-up who have had some success in the league…they have balance with 5 starters in double figures.” NC State lost to ND by 30 and then beat Duke. “It’s hard to figure out sometimes but that one is a puzzler, although they won at Duke last year.” Matt said “You can make an argument for both teams winning in just about every game.” Actually, I very much doubt that we will see a game this year in which both teams win.

Liam in Pompey called to “cover the main issues". He said the Virginia game was ”tough to swallow” but Paschal played well. Why didn’t we use the press 5-10 minutes earlier?” JB: “this is a different Virginia team and a different Syracuse team than last year or the year before. We were a better pressing team then. We also pressed when they beat us by 20. We might get 1-2 steals with the press but the wear and tear factor on guys playing so many minutes. We need to keep it closer so we can press in the last 4-5 minutes.” (?)

Later Pat called in to ask if we could press for the first 10 seconds of possessions. JB thought he was asking if we could run a full court press and repeated the same answer Liam got “the more you press the more you give up 2 on 1 fast breaks and open shots. You can do anything in basketball but you wear the players down a little bit. Kids can play 40 minutes- most of the top players in the league play 37-38. But it’s hard to do that and press.”

Tom in Syracuse offered congratulations that Paschal Chukwu finally started holding onto the ball and got all those rebounds. He also wanted to know why we don’t use the press earlier “to throw the other team off”. JB: “We are not a great pressing team. It takes energy. We got 2-3 steals in the NCAA game and 1-2 at home last year. It was more that we started scoring. You don’t see hardly anybody but West Virginia pressing these days.” Coach played on a team that pressed all the time. Why is it passe? “Better ball handling, better coaching, better players. You tend to give up open shots. Coaches’ philosophies have changed. They prefer the half-court defense. It’s hard to ask frank and Tyus and Oshae to play 40 minutes and press as well.” Matt noted that West Virginia had done a good job on Trae Young . JB: “They throw a lot of people at you.”

Against Virginia “Our offense wasn’t great in the first half. Too many turnovers. Our defense was better frank made three threes in the first half. We missed our first ten threes of the second half. We keep working on it. Players come in 30-45 minutes before practice to practice shooting. We try to drive to the basket and roll the center to the middle to get offensive rebounds. It’s not ideal. I’d rather run plays and set up jump shots. We are challenged as a team offensively. It’s so hard to press when you are short-handed with six guys. Big guys get in foul trouble. Ideally I’d like to rest our players two minutes a half. It’s hard for us to do that, especially with the guards.

Matt noted that we had held Virginia to their lowest shooting percentage of the season but they won on their “volume of shots”. We also had the most offensive rebounds against them- the previous high was 8, (we had 19). JB: “Penetration got us into the lane. We aren’t scoring enough. We have to find a way to score more. Oshae is not getting to the basket like he did earlier. The guys are too big and strong. Oshae was killing it but he’s struggled in the league. It’s a good thing he’s started making those threes. “

Which was a good lead-in to my first question. JB: “we were able to get into the lane vs. Virginia. Notre Dame was in a zone and had three guys back. Virginia played man to man. We missed a lot of shots and got them back. When salt was out of the game they didn’t have a lot of size in there. Oshae is still learning. If he can’t finish he’s got to take the in between shot and some threes. It’s a good sign that he’s started making them. But Frank and Tyus are the main guys.” I said that Jim Satalin had said during the Notre Dame game that the fact that we don’t run allows the other team to send five guys to the boards. ”Frank is not a running point guard. Our forwards are not great runners. Turnovers are the best way to fast break. Notre Dame and Virginia didn’t turn the ball over. North Carolina is the best team in the country in the fast break and they scored 49 points against Virginia. Last year they scored even less, (43) and Roy Williams said it was the best defense he’d ever seen. “

Later I called in my second question. Jim said the games were defiantly being “Called differently. We were still driving. They were claiming that the defenders were standing with their hands up but there is contact. There’s not much you can do. You can drive stronger, finish where it’s more obvious. We are shooting better from three but a couple guys don’t shoot well and they are loading up on the others. We’ve changed sets to spread them out more and get open spaces. We are trying to get Matt and marek to where they have to guard them. There’s no point in putting them in the corner when their man is just going to stand under the basket. They are supposed to be calling more contact this year but they aren’t now.”

Matt in Liverpool wondered if the refs “know we are fishing for fouls”. JB: “I’m sure they know we want to get to the foul line. It’s not an obvious call. It’s a bump. But it’s a shock to go from 20 free throw attempts to 7 or 8.” Matt also asked for a comparison of Marek Dolezaj to Kristoff Ongenaet. “Kristoff was not as athletic or talented but he was stronger and more physical.” Are we going to continue to recruit Europe? “We don’t go to Europe. The really good players go pro early. The pretty good players come over here for a year or two. There are enough player here (for us to recruit) .”

Marty in Ithaca said the defense was good but the offense is struggling because we are so young. He asked if the “the game was too big for Howard Washington”. JB: “he’s a better player than he’s shown. He hasn’t had enough playing time, since we are so dependent on Frank and Tyus. Howard hasn’t played as well as he can. I know he’s better than this.” Will Howard get more playing time? “I hope so. I hope he’ll play well… Our defense is good and our rebounding is way better than we expected. We thought we could score more. We need more consistency from the three guys. Paschal is coming on and Matt’s starting to pick it up.”

Matt said that “When Frank puts the accelerator down, we play much better. He’s averaging 15ppg, is second in the ACC in assists and steals.” Coach acknowledged that and praised him for it but “he has too many turnovers.” Matt noted that Frank had 19 treys last year, almost all in the first ten games. He passed that total vs. Eastern Michigan and has had multiple treys in every game since. (He has 33 right now.) Regarding the assists, JB said Duval of Duke is passing to guys like Bagley and Allen who finish plays better than our guys do.”

They had a couple of trivia questions. One was “What former SU player scored 23 points and had 15 rebounds last night?” I’ll let you guess.

Last edited:
"They had a couple of trivia questions. One was “What former SU player scored 23 points and had 15 rebounds last night?” I’ll let you guess."

NBA player. that one made me smile...

They had a couple of trivia questions. One was “What former SU player scored 23 points and had 15 rebounds last night?” I’ll let you guess.

Mr. Tyler Roberson put up 23 points and 15 rebounds two nights ago for the Hot Water Clippers against the Greensboro Swarm.

James Southerland was credited with 24 points and 10 boards for the Santa Cruz Warriors last night.

You might want to have some conversation about this:

"Are we going to continue to recruit Europe? “We don’t go to Europe. The really good players go pro early. The pretty good players come over here for a year or two. "

I guess that that confirms Marek will be here for a year or two, at best.

PART 2

The other trivia question was “Who both played and coached against Jim Boeheim?” I suspect there are many but the answer they gave, (the question may have referred to coaches we will meet this season), was Pittsburgh’s Kevin Stallings, who was on that Purdue team we played all those eons ago. “But he didn’t even play- he was one the bench and never got into the game!” Jim felt it would be a good trivia question to ask who was the Purdue coach in that game- but he got it wrong because he had the wrong game. When you think of the Purdue game you think of the game where Rosey Bouie blocked Joe B. Carroll’s shot in 1980. (1/13/80 national TV: SU 66 Purdue 61) and so did the coach, 9Purdue’s coach was lee Rose, who had also bene the coach of the UNC Charlotte team that eliminated SU from the NCAAs in JB”s first year, so there was a bit of revenge there.) But we also played Purdue in the semi-finals of the 1981 NIT, also beating them 70-63, (on 3/23/81), in a game nobody remembers. (The one they remember from that tournament is the final against Tulsa where we got hosed by the refs.) Stallings did play in that game and his coach was Gene Keady, who had replaced Rose.

Later, when I called in my second question, I offered my own trivia question: What now famous coach played against SU in the first game Jim Boeheim lost as a head coach? Jim got that quickly. It was a 78-83 loss in his second game on 11/27/76 to West Virginia and their 6-3 guard Bob Huggins, who doesn’t look much like a guard any more:

upload_2018-1-12_21-41-31.png

“He reminds me of that every time I see him! But we beat them late that season! (At Manley 1/15/77: 96-74). I told the coach I was surprised he remembered his first loss as I know he remembers the losses more than the wins. He laughed.

Gomez later said he’d taken an on-line Jim Boeheim trivia test and got only 33% of them right. JB: “I’m not surprised”. One of the items was how many games has Jim coached where both teams were nationally ranked? 432!

“Michigan State struggles on the road- they lost to Ohio State and had trouble with Rutgers.” Actually, Rutgers was a home game: 76-72. Ohio State “got (Keita-Bates) Diop back, (20.8ppg, 8.8rpg) and he’s probably playing the best of anybody in the Big Ten. It probably cost Thad (Matta) his job when he got hurt.“ Gomez suggested that Diop might be the Big Ten Player of the Year. “He’s in there….Ohio State started slow but now they’ve beaten Michigan State and Maryland by 20 at home. They are shooting very well.”

Dion Waiters has been shut down for the year and will have surgery on his ankle. “He thought about surgery in the off-season. It was just too painful so he’s having it now. He has a two year deal with Miami.” Jeremy Grant is getting a guaranteed contract. “OKC doesn’t have a lot of young players. He’s athletic ability to play at that level and is working on his shot.” Tyler Ennis “had a couple of really good games when Ball was out. He’s become a good NBA back-up point guard. But Ball will play 40 minutes when he gets back so Tyler will only have about 8 minutes to show what he can do. .” On Lavar Ball: “The NBA doesn’t pay attention to parents. The media shouldn’t do stories on him. It just helps him raise money to sell his brand. Who wants to go to Lithuania to see a couple of mediocre players play?”

Cleveland ”is in a rut. Isaiah Thomas hadn’t played in 6 months and is having trouble adjusting to LeBron having the ball all the time. Kyrie Irving is a great, great player. He and Steph Curry are the two best point guards, although James Hardin and Chris Paul are very good too.” (Russel Westbrook?

Gomez said LeBron is supposedly thinking of retirement. JB: “Players play as long as they can play. That’s what players do.” Gomez pointed out that Danny Schayes played 18 seasons. JB: “But not a lot in the last 8 years. Players used to be done at age 32. This is Carmelo’s 14th year. There’s better conditioning now but to play 100 games a year for 14-15 years – it’s hard to keep going. “

On the All-Star game draft, which they are keeping secret: “A lot of players don’t want it made public. Others want it televised. It’s embarrassing if they are not picked. Maybe they should make it so the last player picked gets a car.”

How gutsy a call was it for Nick Saban to go to his back-up QB in the national championship game? “He knew his players and saw from practice that the back-up was the better thrower. He had to make a change. If it was 13-10 you don’t make that change. They knew this kid could throw, could run a little and had presence. In basketball if you are really good you get to play. In football they will go with the best quarterback. If the starter had gotten hurt in the first game, the back-up would never have come out….If they’d lost that kicker would never have returned to Alabama. He would have found a cabin in the woods and sent for his stuff.”

Matt Patricia is apparently going from the Patriots to become the Giants head coach. He’s from the Utica area and went to VVS high school. “He’s really smart- an engineer. But was it him, Belichick or the system?” Matt noted that Nick Saban is undefeated against his former assistants and he thought Belichick probably had a similar record. (I don’t have time to look that up right now).

Dominck the father of two aspiring basketball players, ages 12 and 10, called in for the coach’s advice on how to prepare his sons for a possible college career, (he’s thinking Division 2). They are playing on a local AJim’s his kids played AAU ball in the summer with “individual stuff on the side. You just need a ball and a basket to practice their shooting and ball handling. Working out in the weight room helps. These days you can’t even play D2 ball without conditioning. There’s a big gap from Division 2 to 1 but those guys are good players. The best players in the Syracuse area will normally go Division 2…My sons work out 3-4 hours a day the year around. My daughter practices but won’t do the extra stuff. To be Division 1 requires a tremendous amount of work. It’s a lot different from the old days. I practiced 30 minutes a day with no lifting. I did play a lot of ball in the summer.”

Katie called to ask how tall players sit on airplanes. Can they get comfortable? . “Commercial flights are tightbut we use charter. I’m 6-4 and commercial is tight for me. With commercial flights you have to we have to leave a day early and fly all day and then stay overnight after the game. We’d have to leave 9 O’Clock Friday morning and stay until Sunday and arrive back in the afternoon, then have a game on Tuesday. At the time it seemed OK. But now we can fly out Friday afternoon and get back by 9PM Saturday (it’s a 2PM game).

Gomez noted the dire weather reports for the weekend, saying “the Weather Channel van is in town. When Jim Cantore walks in here, (the Shaughnessy’s) we know we’re in trouble.” JB: “10-12 inches of snow comes with the territory. You can get 25 inches and it doesn’t make the news. Blizzards are a great time to go to restaurants- everybody’s home. It’s crazy!”

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom