The Jim Boeheim Show- before Geogetown | Syracusefan.com

The Jim Boeheim Show- before Geogetown

SWC75

Bored Historian
Jim Boeheim’s radio show is on Thursdays from 7-8 or 9PM on ESPN Radio in Syracuse, which is AM1200 or FM 97.7 on the dial. The show originates from the Cavalier Room at the Marriott in Downtown Syracuse. The first hour, hosted by Matt Park, the Voice of the Orange, is on their general network. The second hour, which begins with the conference season, is hosted by Gomez, a local radio personality.

You can call into the show locally at 315-424-8599 or nationally at 1-888-746-2873. For Gomez’s portion, use 315-424-8599. Or you can submit questions from this page:
Submit a Question!
Or on Twitter at mattpark1 or “askBoeheim”.

The show can be heard in Syracuse on FM 99.5. It’s sometime simulcast on AM 1200 or FM 97.7. You can also get it on: WGVA

I will be posting my rough transcript the night of the broadcast focusing on my questions, the team and their last and next games and then a second post the next day on other things that were discussed.

MY QUESTIONS/COMMENTS

“Coach in the Boston University game we scored 99 points and were only credited in the box score with 2 fast break points. We used to be a great fast breaking team. Is the fast break gone from college basketball?”

COACH BOEHEIM
(I have, in some instances, put together statements from different parts of the broadcast on the same subject. In recent years they have started out doing one hour shows and then shifted to two hour shows in January. When they do two hour shows. I will do two posts: one on the night of the broadcast on the issues directly relating to the team on the other the next days on other things that were talked about.) –

(It’s still an hour show at this point.)

They talked about the weather and coach, who sued to drive through blizzards to get to Eastern League games in the late 60’s, warned people to just stay home. “1-2 times a year it’s best to just stay home and this is one of those times.” I hope it’s not this bad on Saturday.

They talked about honoring the Pearl during that game. “He meant a lot to the program, the conference and college basketball. He was a great player but a different player. I don’t use the term “unique very much but he was unique.” Coach described the two funds that are going to get money this weekend. There’s the Pearl scholarship to allow athletes who have left to come back and get their degree as he and some others have done. The other is through Kinne Drugs. They are raising money to fight pediatric cancer. Matt said you could go to Kinne and buy for $1 a card with Pearl’s picture on it and you can put your name or a cancer victim/survivor’s name on it. That money goes to the same fund.

Liam in Pompey called in to say that Pearl was a good man and good player and what’s with Kinne Drugs? He also asked for Jim’s views on the game. Jim repeated the above and said that Georgetown “started slow but they’ve won 4 in a row and are playing well now. Rodney Pryor is a great shooter, They have good size inside and are very physical and are shoring up the defense.” He did add that “Pearl was the first to bring 30,000 to the Dome.”

Matt said that the players will wear special sneakers and warm-up jackets dedicated to the Pearl.

I called in and noted that I used to call the Dome “The Oyster” because Pearl was in it. I then asked my questions about fast breaks and modern basketball. JB: “That’s a good point. I watch and the games and if you see the games around the country, you don’t see many fast breaks. Everybody gets back. Virginia sends 2-3 guys back. The best way to fast break is to get turnovers. We haven’t been forcing turnovers. There’s not as much pressings there are as many turnovers. It’s a half-court game, offensively and defensively.” I asked what could be done to counter the other team getting back so quickly. “Nothing really, but it’s hard for them to offensive rebound when they do that. ..We try to run.”

(My recollection is that back in the 80’s we didn’t wait for a turnover to run. But we were a much better rebounding team. And, of course, Roy Williams has his team runoff of made baskets. So I think there’s a choice involved there.)

Matt noted that of our 99 points, 45 were by two newcomers- John Gillon and Taurean Thompson. JB: “When you get production by your bench, it’s a big difference maker. We made shots. The game is tougher when you don’t make shots. Boston U. has a good team: they lost by 2 to Connecticut and by 4 to NC State. Georgetown has played good teams, too. They lost by 1 to Maryland, beat Oregon by 4, and lost to Wisconsin and Oklahoma State. They had a bad start but they’ve won 4 in a row.” (Over Howard, Coppin State Elon and LaSalle).

Matt played some tributes to pearl Washington from those associated with the Big East in the old says. Len Burman a Syracuse grad, was the play-by-play announcer in the early years and worked with Mike Gorman.
Burman: “It was one of the greatest jobs ever to be the Big East announcer. You got to see players like Patrick Ewing and Chris Mullin. But the most exciting was pearl Washington He’d get the ball and you’d see the look on his face. His neck would tense up and he’d drive to the hoop.”
Gorman: I had him on the post- game show. We showed two or three highlights and he didn’t say a word. Then he just smiled. That was Pearl on TV. Dave Gavitt described him as “water seeking its level”.

JB: “Lenny was a student when I was. I think I did a game with him – Colgate. Pearl was the most exciting player. The only comparable ones were Pete Maravich and Calvin Murphy, who was an amazing player. Pearl had such speed and quickness – nobody else could do what he could do. We’ll never see a guy like him again. He invented the four guys on the baseline play. Nobody ever screened for him. Nobody could guard him. Defenders used to fall down trying. If a guy came out, he’d leave one of the four guys open. He could get hit 12-15 jump shot off against anyone. Nick Van Exel insisted on having his number. Tim Hardaway told me he got his cross-over move from the pearl. He was the guy who got the highest TV ratings.” Matt said that Georgetown had a Pearl of their own in Alan Iverson. JB: “Also a unique player. He was a better shooter and that’s why he had the better pro career.”

Matt then played a clip on the Pearl from Jay Bilas: He was a great person, player and spirit. He had that smile but his brow furrowed when the game got competitive. People remember his pro career but he was a great college player. He helped make the Big East.”

JB: You be a great college player even if your game doesn’t translate to the pros. He was an exciting player- that’s what you remember.” Matt mentioned that we went to the Final Four in what would have bene the Pearl’s senior year. (I have long imagined Pearl playing with Sherman and after Smart’s jump shot, we inbound to him and he goes coast-to-coast for the national championship.) JB: Sherman got beat up by the Pearl every day in practice but you noticed that he never backed down. Then we got Derrick Coleman and Stevie Thompson. That was a great, great team. We did everything but win the national championship….We could run due to the size and speed we had. Our weakness was that we didn’t have great shooters. But we were a force inside.”

Matt wondered if our current team was too perimeter oriented. JB: No, we’ve got guys who can get inside and do things.” (Yeah, but can they score?)

Matt didn’t have time to play a longer clip from Mike Tirico. He might do it during the pre-game show Saturday. He quoted Mike as saying that the pearl set the tone for what SU and the Big East were to be.

Matt asked how the practices had been going this week. JB: “You do some but final exams are there, You do get some days.”

Mat noted that the hotel is already preparing for a big New Year ’s Eve bash. Jim said that the redone hotel is “as beautiful as any in the country. Everything is done to perfection. It’s a great place for a party.”

Matt asked for the coach’s memories of Craig Sager, who passed away today. JB: “He was a really unique guy. He fought a battle as hard as you can fight. When cancer gets a hold of you, it can get you. But he showed how to fight and how to live. I’ve known him for years. He was good guy, not just a sport coat. He never knocked anybody. He was in the locker room at the Final Four. He wasn’t in great shape but it was great to see him.” Matt said that he was the “crazy guy in the long white coat chasing Hank Aaron around when Hank his 715th home run”:

Matt asked the Coach about “Wakieleaks”, the scandal in which a Wake Forest color man and ex-player gave opponents scouting reports about their football team after watching them practice. JB: “I guess we’ve got to start checking on you guys...it’s hard to believe – just bitterness. There was no money involved. It doesn’t help you. People can watch out practice. Everybody knows what we do. Everybody knows what everybody does.”

What does the coach think of NBA teams resting players when the fans came to see them? “It’s a difficult question. You go to see your team play. These guys play 3-4 times in a week and 2 of them back to back. It’s an 82 game season. Maybe they could rest them one at a time. It’s a ticklish problem. Maybe the rested player could sign autographs. People are not used to resting players in basketball the way they do in baseball. Of course, the way the schedule works, LeBron may come to town once a year.

Matt pointed out that there will be two more games before the next show besides Georgetown. JB: Eastern Michigan has a good team and St. John’s is playing better as well. They will all be good games.”

Matt wondered about the future of the Georgetown series which has two more games to go under the present contract. JB: “A lot is up in the air. If the ACC goes to 20 games and we have to play a Big Ten team and in a tournament as well it will be hard to schedule these games. We’ll be playing a lot of tough games as it is. If we’d played 20 ACC last year we might not have made the tournament and that’s what really counts….Scheduling is a tricky thing. Minnesota is 10-1 and they haven’t played anybody.”

Dave Gavitt is no longer with us but Matt had a clip from his son Danny, who now runs the NCAA tournament. “There have been a lot of great Big east players None were more dynamic and exciting than Pearl Washington, one of the few guys that lived up to the hype. He made the Carrier Dome and the Big East what they became.”

JB: “There would have bene no Big East without Dave Gavitt and I wouldn’t be coaching now. The programs were strong but more players came in and they became a lot stronger. So you knew right away this was going to work.” Matt wondered what other product was such an immediate success. JB: “Facebook?”

Iverson was, if I'm not mistaken, a pretty lousy shooter.

He had a better pro career than Pearl because a) he was a better athlete and b), like many successful pro athletes, he had a maniacal drive to compete.

Pearl, like most normal humans, liked but didn't love the game.

Iverson was, if I'm not mistaken, a pretty lousy shooter.

He had a better pro career than Pearl because a) he was a better athlete and b), like many successful pro athletes, he had a maniacal drive to compete.

Pearl, like most normal humans, liked but didn't love the game.
Iverson wasn't a great shooter. He drew a lot of fouls and made a lot of foul shots. 9 attemptes per game. James Harden has a similar game today.

lotta luv for the pearl last night. the tributes were great. also applaud kinney drugs . drop a dollar and aid kids cancer research. everybody wins.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
McCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom