The Jim Boeheim Show - before Georgetown | Syracusefan.com

The Jim Boeheim Show - before Georgetown

SWC75

Bored Historian
Jim Boeheim’s radio show is on Thursdays from 7-8 or 9PM on ESPN Radio in Syracuse, which is AM1200 or FM 97.7 on the dial. The show originates from Carrabba's Italian Grill in Fayetteville. The first hour, hosted by Matt Park, the Voice of the Orange, is on their general network. The second hour, which begins with the conference season, is hosted by Gomez, a local radio personality.

This year’s schedule: Tuesday, November 12, 7:00 pm, Tuesday, November 19, 7:00 pm, Thursday, December 5, 7:00 pm, Thursday, December 12, 7:00 pm, Thursday, December 19, 7:00 pm, Thursday, December 26, 7:00 pm, Thursday, January 2, 7:00 pm, Thursday, January 9, 7:00 pm, Thursday, January 16, 7:00 pm, Thursday, January 23, 7:00 pm, Thursday, January 30, 7:00 pm, Thursday, February 6, 7:00 pm, Monday, February 13, 7:00 pm, Thursday, February 20, 7:00 pm, Thursday, February 27, 7:00 pm,
Thursday, March 5, 7:00 pm.

You can call into the show locally at 315-424-8599 or nationally at 1-888-746-2873. For Gomez’s portion, use 315-424-8599. Or you can submit questions from this page:
Submit a Question! - Syracuse University Athletics
Or on Twitter at mattpark1 or “askBoeheim”.

The show can be heard in Syracuse on FM 99.5. It’s sometime simulcast on AM 1200 or FM 97.7. You can also get it on: TuneIn | Free Internet Radio | NFL, Sports, Podcasts, Music & News

I will be posting my rough transcript the night of the broadcast focusing on my questions, the team and their last and next games and then a second post the next day on other things that were discussed.

MY QUESTIONS/COMMENTS

“Coach, every game this season has been won or lost by 14 points. The big factor seems to be whether our jump shots are falling. What is our potential to develop other aspects of our offense so that we can find a way to win games when they aren’t falling?”

COACH BOEHEIM
(I have, in some instances, put together statements from different parts of the broadcast on the same subject. The quotes may not be verbatim –they are from my scribbled notes. I have not knowingly changed the meaning. In recent years they have started out doing one hour shows and then shifted to two hour shows in January. When they do two hour shows. I will do two posts: one on the night of the broadcast on the issues directly relating to the team on the other the next days on other things that were talked about.)

JB on the Georgia Tech game: “For whatever reason we made a couple of shots and they acted like the game was over. I guess they don’t expect us to make shots. Our inside defense was good, the thing is, we made 14 of 33 three pointers and we could have made 8 which isn’t a bad total and still have won by 20 points because of our defense. They pressed and that got us some easy shots. In our losses we were in 6 point situations and had to press and lost by 14. We’re not a good pressing team.“

Matt said that Elijah Hughes “kicked the door down like you almost never see”.JB: Elijah was great. Bourama played good defense down low.

The President’s Cup golf tournament was on TV, (not much basketball tonight). It’s the US vs. an International team from all the nations that aren’t in the Ryder Cup. We haven’t lost it in 22 years but are getting a strong challenge now. Tiger Woods is the captain and “may have to play in every round for us to win….Those guys grew up watching Tiger play and have nothing to lose. That’s the thing about team sports – you never know what is going to happen.” (And you know exactly what is going to happen in individual sports?)

I called in my question. “You win and lose games for a lot of reasons. Sometimes it’s shooting. Our defense was good. We got the ball down court. We got the ball inside and Bourama and Marek were able to score there. We need to shoot. Every team does. We got overpowered in those games. We’ll have the youngest team on the court in every game. We’ll keep getting better. The players work very hard. We lost by so much because we had to press. We aren’t a good pressing team.”

I asked him why we aren’t a good pressing team- what makes a good pressing team. Whoooboy!
“Almost nobody presses any more. You are gambling and double teaming and you leave people open. We don’t have a shot blocker in back. We aren’t very quick or fast at all. It’s personnel, really…and the fact that it’s hard to press. You only do it when you are out of a game and trying to get back in it. We’ve worked on it more than we have in years but it’s not very good. It’s for when you are down 8-10 points with 5-6 minutes left. You aren’t winning because you aren’t scoring. You might get a block or a steal. In the Virginia game, (no much doubt as to which one he was referring to), we got 1 steal. They threw the ball away and missed a lay-up. We used to be able to press Cornell and Colgate and now they go through us like we are not even there. Every year we sneak a game out with the press but it’s gotten harder the last two years. You end up giving teams easy shots.“ Matt mentioned that Coach Q. likes to press in the women’s game. “But there’s not the depth of ball handling that there is in the men’s game.” Matt asked about the VCU style of play and Jim pointed out that since he’s been at Texas, he doesn’t press. “He had a team full of 6-5 guys. Now he’s got bigger guys. I’m surprised that more smaller schools don’t press. It’s just not a part of the game anymore. Ball handling and shooting has gotten better. Even Rick Pitino didn’t press that much.”

“Texas Tech played a great against Louisville. They were ready to go and really went after them. Penn State has a good team and should have beaten Mississippi. They had an 18 point lead.” (They got blown out by Ohio State but beat Maryland. – is it right for Ohio State to be this good in both sports?)

Chad called in with a halting delivery and said something about the team jelling. He then asked about specific people we may be recruiting, which, of course, Jim couldn’t answer. All he could say was “We have two guys coming in. We will probably lose 1 or 2 guys. We are already looking at the next class.”

Tom in Lafayette could barely be heard. He asked about shooting drills- do we have our four guards start by trying short shots and then working outside? JB: “We do a number of different shooting drills. We start out stationary just to get loose. Then we have them moving as they would be doing in a game. It’s catch and shoot. They have to hit three in a row from one spot before they can move on to the next spot.” Tom suggested that in games, the first shot should be taken from within 20 feet, then move out to the three point line. JB: “we look for open shots. Elijah can make a three as easily as he can make a 15 footer. We prefer threes over mid-range shots. That’s the trend all over the NBA and in college as well.

On Georgetown: “They are ten times they team they were with a point guard that shot all the time. They beat Oklahoma State, although they didn’t have their point guard, and SMU, who was undefeated. They are a veteran team that has played a lot of basketball….They are playing very well. We are getting better. Things look better than they did last week. You can’t keep losing and be good. It’s tough to win at Georgia tech and that was a good turn-around. Young p0layers make terrible mistakes, good plays and then terrible mistakes. I talked with Coach Pastner before the game and we both agreed that anything could happen. I’m glad it happened for us.” Coach said that DC is very big area for SU alumni and they will be there in force.

They talked about Tyus Battle, who Jim thinks was one of his most under-rated players. “Tyus beat Georgetown twice with late shots. He turned two losses into wins. Tyus did a lot of that. People don’t appreciate Tyus. He’s the guy that got us into the tournament and to the Sweet 16.”

On our next opponent: Oakland, (which is actually in Michigan). We’ve actually played them three times before and won all three but they were battles, (actually they were 86-66 on 11/21/08, 92-60 on 12/22/09 and 74-50 on 11/20/17). “They lost a couple of guys they were supposed to have but they are well-coached and will make you earn everything.” They, too have a long time coach, the guy who built the program up to what it is today, Greg Kampe, who has been there since the 1984-85 season, making him the third longest tenured coach behind JB and Coach K in Division I basketball. He’s a good friend of Jim’s who has played in his charity golf tournament. Coach Kampe has won 623 games and joked to Jim that he intends to catch him someday, to which JB said “I may have to stay longer. He’s a great coach and a really good guy.” Kendrick Nunn used to play for Coach Kampe at Oakland. But he’s not there now so it might be hard for the Golden Grizzlies to get their coach a little closer to Boeheim this time around.

They asked a trivia question. In the decade that’s about to end five players have scored 30 or more points in true road games, (in the other team’s arena). They asked who scored the most points in their game. That’s an easy one. Jim: “A little guy- and we needed every point". They revealed who that was at the end of the show as well as the other players. One guy did it three times. Can you name all three players?

Last edited:
John Gillon had 40-something against NC State in Raleigh. He’s #1. Elijah just scored 33 against Georgia Tech. My wild guesses on the other three are Andrew White, Wes Johnson, and Tyus Battle. Maybe Michael Gbinije?

John Gillon had 40-something against NC State in Raleigh. He’s #1. Elijah just scored 33 against Georgia Tech. My wild guesses on the other three are Andrew White, Wes Johnson, and Tyus Battle. Maybe Michael Gbinije?

Southy @ Arkansas. 35

Tied school record of 9 3’s (on 13 shots)

John Gillon absolutely went to plaid vs NC State.

That was the most impressive shooting performance in Cuse history, if you ask me.
9/10 from 3, 14/14 from the line.

And - he had a ton of assists too.

Didn't somebody post something similar to the trivia question the other day? John Gillon was number 1, I think. Isn't Dave Bing the one that did it 3 times. I remember Owens scoring over 30 against Georgetown as a sophomore and DC had 24 the same game. I can't remember if that was a home or away game.

Edit: My bad, it's just for the last decade. I had to look up the answer. I won't ruin it for people trying to figure it out.

Gillon for sure as he had 40 that game at NC State.
I remember Battle scored over 30 in that double OT game at FSU when Washington was a Freshman. We scored close to 100 in that game.
3rd player was given in here I would have guessed Wes Johnson but it has to be that Southerland game at Arkansas in the SEC-Big East challenge in 2011 or 2012:

I think Battle’s the guy who did it multiple times because he had a monster game at Duke last year no Google.

Southerland 2012 against Arkansas
Gillon 2017 against NC State
Eli against 2019 GT
Battle @Duke/@BC/@FSU in 18/19

Southy @ Arkansas. 35

Tied school record of 9 3’s (on 13 shots)

John Gillon absolutely went to plaid vs NC State.

That was the most impressive shooting performance in Cuse history, if you ask me.
9/10 from 3, 14/14 from the line.

And - he had a ton of assists too.
Forgot about that Southy game versus Arkansas! Great performance. But man, that Gillon game vs NC State was near perfection.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom