The Jim Boeheim Show -before Georgia Tech II | Syracusefan.com

The Jim Boeheim Show -before Georgia Tech II

SWC75

Bored Historian
Jim Boeheim’s radio show is on Thursdays from 7-8 or 9PM on ESPN Radio in Syracuse, which is AM1200 or FM 97.7 on the dial. The show originates from Carrabba's Italian Grill in Fayetteville. The first hour, hosted by Matt Park, the Voice of the Orange, is on their general network. The second hour, which begins with the conference season, is hosted by Gomez, a local radio personality.

This year’s schedule: Tuesday, November 12, 7:00 pm, Tuesday, November 19, 7:00 pm, Thursday, December 5, 7:00 pm, Thursday, December 12, 7:00 pm, Thursday, December 19, 7:00 pm, Thursday, December 26, 7:00 pm, Thursday, January 2, 7:00 pm, Thursday, January 9, 7:00 pm, Thursday, January 16, 7:00 pm, Thursday, January 23, 7:00 pm, Thursday, January 30, 7:00 pm, Thursday, February 6, 7:00 pm, Thursday, February 13, 7:00 pm, Thursday, February 20, 7:00 pm, Thursday, February 27, 7:00 pm,
Thursday, March 5, 7:00 pm.

You can call into the show locally at 315-424-8599 or nationally at 1-888-746-2873. For Gomez’s portion, use 315-424-8599. Or you can submit questions from this page:
Submit a Question! - Syracuse University Athletics
Or on Twitter at mattpark1 or “askBoeheim”.

The show can be heard in Syracuse on FM 99.5. It’s sometime simulcast on AM 1200 or FM 97.7. You can also get it on: TuneIn | Free Internet Radio | NFL, Sports, Podcasts, Music & News

I will be posting my rough transcript the night of the broadcast focusing on my questions, the team and their last and next games and then a second post the next day on other things that were discussed.

MY QUESTIONS/COMMENTS

First Hour:

“Coach, I’ve been impressed this year with the tremendous efforts our flawed team has made to win games, some successful, some not. Last night wasn’t one of them. The team isn’t physically tired but I wonder if they are mentally tired from all the difficult games and the recent ones that have slipped away from us?”

Second Hour:

“Coach, is it time it have Jesse Edwards split time with Bourama Sidibie at center? Not only does Jesse seem like the more productive player but Bourama might not foul out if he shared his time with Jesse.”

COACH BOEHEIM
(I have, in some instances, put together statements from different parts of the broadcast on the same subject. The quotes may not be verbatim –they are from my scribbled notes. I have not knowingly changed the meaning. In recent years they have started out doing one hour shows and then shifted to two hour shows in January. When they do two hour shows. I might do two posts: one on the night of the broadcast on the issues directly relating to the team on the other the next days on other things that were talked about.)

(Gomez, who also hosts a local morning radio show, was on vacation so Matt Park did the whole two hours with the coach.)

On the least two games: JB: “We played really well at Florida State, a really good top ten team playing at home. We had opportunities late. We got called for a foul on a three pointer – I don’t think it was really a foul. We got fouls on three pointers twice last night and it wasn’t called….For the first time we broke down on both ends. Most teams get blown out 1-2 times a season. We’d been in every game.” (I think he was talking about every game since the ACC season started in earnest.) “We’re trying to go to the basket. We’re just not making threes. We need to make 8-10 a game and are instead getting 6-7. I’d like to take 35 threes a game. Marek can’t get to the basket. Joe and Buddy are not drivers. The defense concentrates on Elijah. Quincy gets put-backs… Last night was the first disappointing night for me…. We got back in it with 5 threes in the first half but got only a couple threes in the second after the game had been decided. We gave McMahon two threes….”

At this point Jim launched into another discussion of basketball metrics. “They just look at shot charts. The problem might not be the guard. One (of McMahons threes) was against Buddy, one against Quincy, one against Joe and One against Elijah. A score from the high post might not be the center’s fault and one in the corner might be his fault. “

“We are in the middle of the pack in the league in defense but not last night. When you give up 15 lay-ups, that’s not a good sign. On offense, we couldn’t get by people. Florida State and Louisville are the best man-to-man defensive teams in the conference. If you are struggling and not a great team, you aren’t going to win a lot of close games.

I called in my first question about the team being mentally tired. JB: “I don’t think so. I don’t think that plays into the kids today. They are young and resilient. Louisville was too good for us. They hadn’t bene playing great defense but were good against us. We missed shots. Losing games gets to you mentally but you have to fight through it. Anybody can beat you.”

“We are shooting 22% from three in the last 6 games. You can’t win with that. Other teams have made a lot of shots against us. …Numbers can be deceiving. We’ve had 8 close games. we are 4-4, which is pretty good for a team that isn’t great. It’s about not making shots, foul trouble and not making stops at the end of a game.”

Matt described the Louisville game as “Malik Williams being physical underneath and Ryan McMahon hitting threes.” JB: “We could have come out and covered him without giving up too much on defense. Our guy was only two feet away. In the second half we just didn’t cover inside. (With better defense), we could have held them to 80 like Florida State. If we’d made our shots we could have scored a little more…”

Greg in Baldwinsville asked about “our chances in the big dance”. JB: “Not good.” Greg felt “it isn’t over until it’s over. We still have a shot. The league is under-rated and the Big 10 and Big East over-rated. We could get 6 teams in.” Jim agreed about the conference but feels we “need to win 4of 5 and get 2-3 more in the ACC tournament. Virginia and North Carolina State should be in. the other leagues are getting too much. They have some teams with some real bad losing records, (at the bottom of their standings for the top teams to feed off of). We’ve had good runs at the end of season because we don’t think about the post season tournaments. We think about the next game. This year it’s hard because of our bad non-conference schedule. We didn’t have a terrible loss but we didn’t have any really good wins.”

Elijah Hughes is up for the Julius Erving trophy as the nation’s top small forward. He’s bene in double figures in every game this year except for the NC State game, where he came out after a couple of minutes. Jim praised him and extended it to the rest of the team. “There’s nothing I could ask them to do. We’ve battled on the boards. We can correct the fouling. We haven’t shot well. That has nothing to do with effort. We’ve had four road wins as underdogs. I don’t like to use this word but we beat the spread against Clemson and Florida State. We have a freshman point guard and our shooting guard is still really young. Quincy is playing within himself. He can shot so that will come. We should have beaten Clemson. I’d be thrilled if we’d beaten Florida State. We could have beaten Notre Dame and Virginia tech in the Dome. I’m not thrilled with our record so far but I am with the effort.”

Matt briefly, without mentioning names, congratulated Jim on recent and soon to be recurring successes. JB: “Two years is a long time away.” Matt jokingly asked if Buddy was going to be here for four years. JB, laughing: “he’s not going anywhere.”

They began the second hour with a brief recap of the discussion of the last two games. JB: “We played great at Florida State. The Clemson and Florida State losses were difficult. We had late leads in both games. Florida State hit two threes and a foul was called that was not a foul. Louisville out-classed us. It’s not fun when the ball doesn’t go in. We had no answers. Duke had a really bad night, too. You’re going to have some games like that. We were coming off a couple really heartbreaking losses….it’s this tired thinking that bothers me. At Notre Dame Buddy and Elijah played 40 minutes, (actually it was Joe and Elijah) and we won. the angles people take sometimes…” Matt pointed out that there are nine breaks in a game of at least 2 ½ minutes.

Back to the Ken Pomeroy discussion: Matt pointed out that it was not him but Synergy, inc. that did the studies Jim referred to. Jim said he’d read an article attributing it to Ken Pom. “They take where the shot was from and who was in the game. I could look at every play if I wanted to. McMahon took four shots form four different areas.

I called in question #2 and Jim took it mean that I wanted Jesse Edwards to replace Marek as the back-up center. I meant that Bourama and Jesse could alternate, splitting their time and allowing Bourmaa to stay later in the game. I realized that Jim also wants to use Marek there to get him in the game with Elijah and Quincy. “I had that thought in my mind but Jesse isn’t strong enough. He scored 7 points against walk-ons,. You have to discount that. I don’t think we are there right now. We think we have a better chance to win with Marek at center and Quincy at forward. Marek is hard to cover and has won several games for us.” Matt pointed out that Marek attempted just one shot in 29 minutes. JB: “He had the ball. He just wasn’t able to get anything done with the ball. He never got any place where he could get anything accomplished. Quincy si the only guy rebounding the ball. He’s hard to deal with. But they are looking to help with the other guys. He’s still not there with dribbling and post plays…Joe Girard’s competitiveness is great. He’s far exceeded expectations, moving in there and helping to stabilize the offense. Joe and Buddy work every day, from before practice to after practice. ”

Georgia Tech “is one of the hottest teams in the ACC. They are a good team that has lost heart-breaking games. They didn’t have their point guard for some of them. They are a completely different team than the one we beat so badly in Atlanta.” Matt described that game: “Elijah came out with four straight threes from downtown and Buddy started the second half the same way. JB: “And then they pressed us. Everybody on our teams played good and everybody on their team played bad. It was crazy…”

PART TWO

Around the conference: “Northern Carolina has lost four games by a single shot.” Miami won in three overtimes at Virginia Tech 102-95. “Maybe they are tired….Lykes is back, giving them two quick guards who can score. They’ve had a couple of head scratching losses. They can’t go to any post season tournaments. Virginia beat Boston College with no bench points. But all five starters were in double figures. That’s all it takes if your starting line-up is good. Florida State’s two best players were held to 10 points each but they still won by 15 over Pitt. There isn’t a bad player that goes out there for them.” Pitt may be going on probation. “They had too much staff on the football side. They’ll get a three year probation and ‘show cause’ for Kevin Stalling.”

Around the country: Auburn is 5-0 in overtime. Matt mentioned that he checked a couple years ago and Jim was 20-3 in overtime games at the Dome, (I have them at 22-6). Iowa was beating Ohio State, which they did as Luka Garza scored 24 points, his average. “The best offensive big man in the country. They lost that guard who scored 20 on us, (Jordan Bohannon, who scored 17). I wish he’d been out when we played them. ” Marquette was nice enough to invite Lawrence Moten to be present when Markus Howard broke his Big East scoring record. Washington continues to slump. “Mike has lost 3-4 game she would have won with his point guard. It’s not that hard to remain eligible. You just have to do a little bit in the first semester. The whole team gets let down if one guy doesn’t do what he’s supposed to.” Jim has some experience with that. I do wonder: if you are doing ‘a little bit’ in the first semester to remain eligible, are you a student-athlete or an athlete-student?

Coach doesn’t like the “Elam ending” for regular games but thought it was great for the All-Star game. “it was great. It really worked. But it’s not good for the regular game. With a 10-12 point lead, you control the game. It’s not the right way to play. It negates what you accomplished in the first 30 minutes. Coach liked the preliminary competitions, especially when Aaron Gordon jumped over Tacko Fall to dunk. Too bad the judges screwed up the scoring, trying to create a tie. He reminisced about how Julius Erving basically created the dunk contest when he was in the ABA. “He had long arms and large hands”

The women’s team was winning their 5th game in a row, (59-46 over Clemson). Muffet McGraw, the highly successful Notre Dame women’s coach, is suffering through a losing season as is Roy Williams at North Carolina. She commiserated by tweeting a photo of the two of them together:
Photo Of Muffet McGraw, Roy Williams Going Viral
Jim said they could have included Steve Kerr. (But is Jim Boeheim can get three more wins, he doesn’t have to join the picture.)

The Basketball Tournament is coming back in the summer. “They’ll have to see who is in town.” This prompted a discussion of SU’s overseas players. Arinze Onuaku is in Bahrain. “He was a really good inside player his last couple of years here.” CJ Fair is in Dubai. Andy Rautins and Wes Johnson are playing in Greece for Rick Pitino. Matt suggested they had the best team in Europe. Jim felt they had the beat in Greece but had not down well in the European championships.

On John Beilein: “When you go from college to the NBA, you’re likely to go a team that’s going to lose. In college you go over and over stuff. In the NBA the players get tired of that after 30+ games. Andre Drummond tried to score over three guys. John told him that they had two good shooters that were open. Drummond went right to the general manager and said that he wasn’t going to take orders from a college coach. Collin Sexton said that he didn’t think he needed anybody managing him.” He said that Beilein went to the NBA because he was tired of recruiting so he doesn’t think he will go back to college. “John is a frugal guy and they owe him $18 million….if you have the right team, you can coach them. Brad Stevens isn’t a better coach than John Beilein.”

Could JB have made it in the NBA? “I’m not a micromanager. I let the players play. I never wanted to go. You don’t have to recruit but it’s hard to be successful if it’s a crappy job, which is what you are likely to get at the entry level. They don’t fire the players. They fire the coach. Whoever takes over the Cavalier sis going to lose. Most coaches fail in the NBA because they are taking jobs that are not that good.” Matt noted that pro sports owners often prefer coaches who have bene assistants to successful coaches such as Greg Popovich or Bill Belichick. JB: “Just because you work for a good coach it doesn’t mean you are one.” He said that Roy Williams had bene a “part time coach” under Dean Smith when he got the Kansas job. (?!?)

One the baseball controversy about stealing signs: “Commissioner Manfred should issue suspensions but not take away championships. Everybody steals signs these guys did it better. It’s the Lance Armstrong defense: everybody cheats. I just did it better. If they punish it enough, it will stop. The Big Eats used to have 10 fights a season until they started issuing suspensions. Then it stopped. “

Coach talked with Doug Marrone when in Florida for the FSU game. “He’s a good friend. He’s been saved for another year. They lost too many layers. The players didn’t dislike him. They disliked management.

Matt suggested that disappointed Syracuse fans could think about spring, which is coming around the end of March. He told Jim “your job is to give us a bridge to spring and make it exciting for the people.” Coach: “Spring is a long ways away.”

Greg in Baldwinsville asked about “our chances in the big dance”. JB: “Not good.”
let that sink in.

%7BE1391923-3850-4E8E-9887-2219BF78507C%7DImg100.jpg

COACH BOEHEIM
Joe and Buddy are not drivers.

I say this all the time, and people get very, very bothered...people ain't going to be happy with JB for this one!

I say this all the time, and people get very, very bothered...people ain't going to be happy with JB for this one!

And yet they keep trying. Buddy was doing very well for several games. With Joe, it ends with an awkward flip at the basket. But they will get better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom