The Jim Boeheim Show- before Kansas | Syracusefan.com

The Jim Boeheim Show- before Kansas

SWC75

Bored Historian
Jim Boeheim’s radio show is on Thursdays from 7-8 or 9PM on ESPN Radio in Syracuse, which is AM1200 or FM 97.7 on the dial. The show originates from Shaughnessy’s at the Marriott in Downtown Syracuse. The first hour, hosted by Matt Park, the Voice of the Orange, is on their general network. The second hour, which begins with the conference season, is hosted by Gomez, a local radio personality.

You can call into the show locally at 315-424-8599 or nationally at 1-888-746-2873. For Gomez’s portion, use 315-424-8599. Or you can submit questions from this page:
Syracuse University Athletics
Or on Twitter at mattpark1 or “askBoeheim”.

The show can be heard in Syracuse on FM 99.5. It’s sometime simulcast on AM 1200 or FM 97.7. You can also get it on: Listen to The Jim Bohannon Show on WGVA on TuneIn

I will be posting my rough transcript the night of the broadcast focusing on my questions, the team and their last and next games and then a second post the next day on other things that were discussed.

MY QUESTIONS/COMMENTS

Coach, for years people criticized our pre-conference schedule for having too many easy games. The NCAA committee has placed more and more emphasis on the pre-conference games in their selections and we seem to be playing more good mid-majors and power five teams than in the past. But the committee also seems to focus on losses more than wins. Has the pre-conference schedule become too difficult? Is this the best way to build a young team?

COACH BOEHEIM
(I have, in some instances, put together statements from different parts of the broadcast on the same subject. In recent years they have started out doing one hour shows and then shifted to two hour shows in January. When they do two hour shows. I will do two posts: one on the night of the broadcast on the issues directly relating to the team on the other the next days on other things that were talked about.)

Matt congratulated Jim on winning the highly entertaining Maryland game. They noted Maryland had previously lost to a future SU opponent, St. Bonaventure. JB: “It’s tough for Maryland when they don’t shoot well, (as they did not against the Bonnies), because they are a good perimeter team. We aren’t 3 for 18 bad, (from the arc). We aren’t really good but we are better than that.”

I was trying to get through on the phone but nobody was answering the 315-424-8599 number. I finally tried the 1-888-7462873 number and got through there. Meanwhile Liam managed to get through and was asking his question while I talked to the producer, so I didn’t get what Liam was asking about. When the feed form the show came back, they were talking about Kansas. JB: “Duke will be #1 for a while but Kansas has the best team in the country. They have so many weapons and so much experience….They could beat a lower level NBA team the way they are playing. I’ve bene watching Kansas for years and they’ve had so many good teams. But this is the best Kansas team I’ve ever seen. The others would have won these games by 15-20 points. They have dominated teams that aren’t that bad.” Matt noted that they don’t seem to have much depth and have top transfers from Memphis, (their best two players, per JB) Arizona State and California sitting out this year. And Billy Preston hasn’t even played yet.”

Matt noted that we will play the teams currently ranked #1, #2 and #5 this year. JB: “Notre Dame won in Maui. Ferrell and Colson are two of the best players in the country. They get at you the whole game. They are a smart, physical team. Michigan State is #3. You never see anybody beat North Carolina the way did. ” The Spartans went on to win 81-63.

They talked about the SU women and the Australian point guard who is setting assist records, (Tiana Mangakahia is averaging 11.8 per game). JB: “And they haven’t even been shooting well.”

Marty from Ithaca wanted to know about Tyus Battle’s back and can we keep the big guys out of foul trouble. He was also impressed with Frank Howard. JB: “It’s a luxury to have two big guys who can play that well. Tyus is sore. He fell really hard He’ll be sore for a little while but he’ll play.”

I finally got through to ask my question. JB: “Our schedule is tough but manageable. We are playing similar teams but they are better now. Toledo, Oakland, even Cornell. Cornell wasn’t good against us but they’ve beaten Duquesne and Toledo. We aren’t as strong. We used to dominate because we could keep good players 3-4 years. That doesn’t happen anymore. We could lose to anybody. Toledo was a 2 point game. Colgate had BC down by 15. Eastern Michigan is off to a good start. Buffalo is good. St. Bonaventure is really good. ….The committee changes each year. They just need an explanation for leaving a team out or for putting them in. It’s very hard to pick the last 6-8 teams and to find a reason for them being in or out…The year before we won in Atlantis and beat Duke on the road. That got us in. Last year we beat 3 top ten teams. We won only 2 toad games. Most teams only beat the last place teams in their conference on the road. Last year Clemson and Boston College were OK teams… If we’d won a couple more early games we’d have been in… We had better non-conference wins the year we got in but better conference wins the year we didn’t.”

Matt noted that Buffalo and St. Bonaventure will be playing Saturday. They discussed the Bonnie’s win over Maryland, when St. Bonaventure had their best player out, got outrebounded by 7 and didn’t hit their 3’s. They won it on turnovers and Maryland didn’t shoot well.” Buffalo has lost to Cincinnati by 6 and South Dakota State, who has a run of tournament appearances.

They talked about the number of good teams being a product of the number of good players available, which is far more than ever before. JB: “There are so many good players. I see so many guys who are close to being guys Syracuse would recruit who aren’t being recruited by anyone because there are so many good players.”

JB is very impressed with Texas Tech, (who nonetheless lost to Seton Hall tonight, 79-89). He thinks they are the second best team in the Big 12. “They really get after it on defense and have a couple of good guards. Texas A&M is better than they have been. West Virginia is currently second in the league. Baylor is very good. Jaimie Dixon has TCU going. I’ll Pitt wishes he was still there.” Kansas has won 13 consecutive Big 12 titles and are trying to tie UCLA, which won 14 consecutive Pac 8, (as it was then) titles. Jim is more impressed with Kansas’ run. “There were only 1-2 other good teams in the league in those days, (at UCLA). “

Pat called in with some comments and questions. He’s impressed that Frank Howard can score on three levels- outside, floaters from mid-range and taking it to the hoop. He felt that with two shot blockers we could have pressured Maryland into turnovers more than we did although he understands that probably would not work against Kansas’ guards. JB: We want to get to the shooters if a team is patient and goes in and out, that’s hard to cover. It’s hard to stop three in transition. Huerter got three of them from transition and other off a rebound. We did a pretty good job defending the rest of their players… We weren’t terrible on defense last year. The last 17 games, we were a very good team. We beat three top ten teams… Zone or man to man doesn’t matter. A good inside-outside game beats any defense. We are better equipped to defend the inside game. Kansas has good inside and outside players. Multiple guys can shoot. They have four guys as good as Huerter- or better. “

Phil at Shaughnessy’s wondered how nervous the coach was when he had to coach against his son, Jimmy. “Very nervous. It starts in Little League and goes all the way up, daughters or sons. I’m just glad we won.” Matt said that modern technology helps Jim watch all his son’s games, even at prep school.

Vito in north Syracuse said that he was excited about Darius Bazley and Jalen Carey coming in next year. Jim told him to get excited about Buddy Boeheim coming in next year. Vito wanted to know how Coach went about replacing his four “big guns” of last year: White, Gillon, Lydon and Thompson. He did say our defense was much better. JB isn’t so sure. “Our rebounding is better. I don’t know if the defense is better. We’ll find that out in the league.” Vito likes our height at the top of the zone. JB: “We didn’t have centers last year. We were under-sized at two positions….it’s early. Take things with a grain of salt.” (He’s in the right place for that.)

Vito asked how the coach replaced Mike Hopkins. B: “Our recruiting is divided up into three territories and we ask each coach to focus on two guys. So we lost only 1/3 of our recruiting staffs and I hired Alan Griffin because he’s been a coach for 6 years at a program that’s always in the NCAA tournament and had great experience as a recruiter. He brought in one of the best players we’ve recruited in years. Alan took over coaching the big men. Adrian Autry now has a senior role as the Associate Head Coach in addition to his other duties, such as coaching the forwards.

Finally Vito asked Jim to comment on the passing of Rollie Massimino. “He was a really competitive guy. We had some great games with them. He was an old time old school coach, just like Louie Carnesecca and John Thompson. He loved basketball. There are very few coaches like that left.

There was a brief comment on the Connecticut Huskies: “They are a solid team still trying to figure it out.” Pete in Syracuse asked about another group of Huskies: Washington. “They’ve won 3-4 times. They are getting a lot out of their players.” Pete asked if there was a possibility of a Dome game vs. Washington. JB: “No. I don’t like those kinds of games. I don’t like to coach against friends or people I have worked with. “ (They are hard to avoid since he’s worked with so many coaches and has so many friends in the profession.”

The reminisced about “those two monster wins” in the CBE Classic in Kansas City 9 years ago. We played Florida and Kansas, who had won the last three national championships and we beat both of them, 89-83 and 89-81 in overtime. “We were down 4-6 points and came back to force overtime.” Matt remembered we were in Miami for the first weekend of the NCAAs that year and beat Stephen F. Austin, who had been “something like 32-4” and Arizona State (78-67) with “someone named James Harden”. JB: We knew he’d be a first rounder but we didn’t expect what he’s become. He didn’t look to try anything in that game. “

What does Jim think about how the Giants handled the benching of Eli manning? “Geno Smith isn’t the answer. Maybe if you had a young guy you thought was the answer…Just play out the year and make the announcement then and then go after the quarterback you really want.” Will Jim’s old friend Tom Coughlin be giving Eli a call? “He’s 36.” (Eli, not Tom.) “The coaches know what he’s got left in his arm.”

Tiger Woods “looked better on the golf course today. He moved well, going after the ball and not hitting it all over the place. He didn’t appear to be in pain.” Of course, anybody looks better on a golf course this time of year.

(They haven’t begun the two hour shows yet. That will probably come after the first of the year.)

There was a brief comment on the Connecticut Huskies: “They are a solid team still trying to figure it out.” Pete in Syracuse asked about another group of Huskies: Washington. “They’ve won 3-4 times. They are getting a lot out of their players.” Pete asked if there was a possibility of a Dome game vs. Washington. JB: “No. I don’t like those kinds of games. I don’t like to coach against friends or people I have worked with. “ (They are hard to avoid since he’s worked with so many coaches and has so many friends in the profession.”

As always, thanks for doing this SWC!!

JB's answer seems a little dubious to me. He's had no problem bringing Rob Murphy and E. Michigan in regularly. I think he knows that there is little chance that E. Michigan would win. I also wonder if he doesn't worry that a good portion of the fanbase might prefer Mike over him and react accordingly in a head to head??

Anyway a game against Hop would be a complete no-win for JB and SU. Would be a terrible idea.

JB's answer seems a little dubious to me. He's had no problem bringing Rob Murphy and E. Michigan in regularly. I think he knows that there is little chance that E. Michigan would win. I also wonder if he doesn't worry that a good portion of the fanbase might prefer Mike over him and react accordingly in a head to head??

Anyway a game against Hop would be a complete no-win for JB and SU. Would be a terrible idea.
If Hop gets the Huskies in the NCAAs and SU is in, you can guarantee that the brackets will have them meeting somewhere along the way.

JB and Coach K were best buddies and they purposely never scheduled a regular season game against each other. I've been a crazy fan long enough to remember posters crying wanting to see a Duke-SU game back to even the old Prodigy boards and it wasn't happening because of their friendship and the awkwardness that it would create for them. Like Fly Rodder said, the NCAA's did in their special way made sure they did eventually meet.

Again, thanks for that summary SWC.

JB gives us balance and nuance in his judgments. I noted these: "We weren’t terrible on defense last year. The last 17 games, we were a very good team. We beat three top ten teams…" Is the current team much better on defense?: JB isn’t so sure. “Our rebounding is better. I don’t know if the defense is better. We’ll find that out in the league.” Vito likes our height at the top of the zone. JB: “We didn’t have centers last year. We were under-sized at two positions….it’s early. Take things with a grain of salt.”

Does not want fans to overlook how his 2016-17 team played in the ACC games; and some of his usual caution about not getting too high just yet.

Re E Michigan--I think those games are played because Murphy, not Boeheim, wants them. Probably the biggest single paycheck the EMU program gets during the season.

Thanks for the write-up. Funny comment about the salt (city).

... Kansas has won 13 consecutive Big 12 titles and are trying to tie UCLA, which won 14 consecutive Pac 8, (as it was then) titles. Jim is more impressed with Kansas’ run. “There were only 1-2 other good teams in the league in those days, (at UCLA). “

I fail to see how that differs from the 21st-century Big XII.

... Pete asked if there was a possibility of a Dome game vs. Washington. JB: “No. I don’t like those kinds of games. I don’t like to coach against friends or people I have worked with. “ (They are hard to avoid since he’s worked with so many coaches and has so many friends in the profession.”

"Ouch."

-- Rob Murphy

JB only has nice things to say about other teams. He talks them all up and is respectful to all. He seems to know everything about all things basketball, not to mention other sports. His mind is a veritable statistical steel trap.

He quickly retorted about the caller should be excited to see Buddy play next year. Does he have high expectations, or was he making a joke? Both?

Thanks, SWC!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom