The Jim Boeheim Show (before Kenesaw State) | Syracusefan.com

The Jim Boeheim Show (before Kenesaw State)

SWC75

Bored Historian
Jim Boeheim’s radio show is on Thursdays from 7-9PM on ESPN Radio in Syracuse, which is AM1200 or FM 97.7 on the dial. The show originates from Delmonico’s Italian Steakhouse on Erie Boulevard in Syracuse. The first hour, hosted by Matt Park, the Voice of the Orange, is on their general network. The second hour, which begins with the conference season, is hosted by Gomez, a local radio personality.

The first hour is eventually, (it can take weeks) podcasted on the SU Athletics website on this page:
http://suathletics.com/podcasts.aspx
(Update: the last podcast is a preview of the first Duke game from last year so maybe they have stopped podcasting the show. )

You can call into the show locally at 315-424-8599 or nationally at 1-888-746-2873. For Gomez’s portion, use 315-437-7644. Or you can submit questions from this page:
http://cuse.com/sb_output.aspx?form=4

The show can be heard in Syracuse on FM 99.5. It’s sometime simulcast on AM 1200 or FM 97.7. You can also get it on: http://tunein.com/radio/WGVA-1240-s29191/

I will be posting my rough transcript of the first hour the night of the broadcast and will probably do the second hour the following day.

MY QUESTIONS/COMMENTS

“Coach, have the players who have left for the NBA early changed your recruiting philosophy? I know in the past, you didn't like to recruit too many players because those who didn't play might become disgruntled. Do you feel the need to recruit more players because you don't know who might leave?

COACH BOEHEIM

(I have, in some instances, put together statements from different parts of the broadcast on the same subject)

Matt announced that the Jim Boeheim Show is back on the air and the show being at Delmonico’s is an “institution”, (JB’s not doing the Destiny thing the way Scott Shafer did). They’ll have a very irregular early season schedule, working around Shafer’s show, games days and holidays: their next show will be Monday, November 24th and the one after that will be Thursday, December 4th. (Beyond that, we’ll see.)

Coach said “There’s lots of stuff to talk about”. One of the things is when he’ll be making personal appearances to sign his book: He’ll be at Downtown Books and Coffee in Auburn tomorrow night at 7PM, River’s End Bookstore in Oswego on 11/17 at 7PM and at Wegman’s in Fayetteville on Tuesday 11/18 (I assume 7PM). That’s where Jim shops and he joked that they ought to give him a break on the prices there for all the business he brings in. His new Twitter account is “therealboeheim”. He still doesn’t “know how to turn on a computer” so he dictates his thoughts and someone else does the tweeting.
https://twitter.com/therealboeheim

They discussed the exhibition games. Carleton “had played 10-11 games already and I think they’d won 10 of them. They were in great shape and made some shots early. We fell 15 points behind, which is not a good positon to be in. But it was good for the team to come back. We didn’t have to wait until overtime to do it this time…. Adrian was a smaller team. It was an opportunity for our younger players to run up and down the court. We played 10-11 players. It’s important to give them an opportunity.”

Matt noted that the freshmen had played well. JB: ”Chris missed 6 lay-ups in the first half, (against Adrian). He gets around the ball. He’s longer than most players and bigger than most but he needs to get stronger. He, Rak and Tyler can go get the ball. Kaleb really kept us in the (Carleton) game with 11 points in the first half. He’s a pretty good shooter, a hard worker and shows good judgment as a point guard.” About Ron Patterson: “Ron’s a good player. He needed to get in better shape and he has He’s moving better.”

Matt admired Rak’s dunk vs. Carleton. JB liked that but loved that he passed out of double teams, “It’s the best way to get open three pointers.” Now we need to make them.

I called in my question but first told Matt I was glad he was back as “Voice of the Orange” and JB warmly agreed. I told JB I liked his book but wondered what the refs thought of the sub-title “Fifty Years of Blind Referees…etc.” Jim said “They hate me anyway.”

He said that he’s changed his recruiting philosophy “a little bit. Predicting who will go and stay is an imperfect science. We didn’t expect Scoop and Kris to stay and brought in Dion and wound up with an extra guy. We were sure Dion was leaving but he came back. We didn’t expect to lose Tyler or Jeremy. We brought in Kaleb because we needed another point guard- we only had Tyler. Now we really need him. With Jeremy, Chris, Tyler and BJ we had plenty of forwards but now it’s a little bit tighter. If we had DaJuan, we’d have more than enough guys. You have to replace people and make sure you have enough guys. It’s better to have too many guys than not enough. Hopefully you’ll get it right. We never talk about it with the players until the season is over. That’s the only way to do it”

About Kenesaw State and Hampton, (the next two games). “Kenesaw hasn’t done a lot of winning recently, (6-25 last year, 2-27 the year before, 3-28 the year before that) but they have everyone back plus a couple of Junior College transfers. Hampton won 18 games and will be the favorite in their league. You never know about a team. Last year St. Francis of New York led us almost the whole game. We’ll do what we have to do as team.”

Scott in Jamesville asked about the many time-outs in today’s basketball and its impact on the flow of the game. JB: “There are too many stoppages but players and coaches get used to it. The players get a lot more rest. Before we didn’t used to call a time out in the first half. The only breaks were foul shots. But it was a much faster game with a better flow.” I think they were talking about a change in the time-out rules, something about carrying time-outs over to the second half. I didn’t quite pick up on it and can’t find anything about a rule change from last season on the net.

Matt asked about ‘other’ rule changes, such as the 30 second shot clock. Coach would like a 24 second clock. “It’s the best way to increase scoring and speed up the game.” He said the 30 second clock will do so “fractionally”.

Lou called in to asked who the toughest coaches to coach against were. “John Thompson, Jim Calhoun were unbelievable. Rick Pitino traps and presses, changes defenses. At a high level they all can coach and I’ve got a lot of respect for all the guys. Tony Bennett is really good coach. Roy Williams and Mike Krzyzewski have won national championships. If you coach in the ACC you can really coach. it depends on the players.” Matt mentioned the new ACC coaches: Buzz Williams at Virginia Tech and Danny Manning at Wake Forest. “They’ll make the conference stronger, top to bottom”.

On a side note, Bob Casullo got a lot of laughs on “Upon Further Review” this week by complaining that basketball teams are always playing “Three Stooges University” early in the season. He must have been talking about Virginia Tech:

Buzz:
buzz-williams.jpg

Curley:
Curlyhoward.jpg

Jim wanted to know what JB looks for in recruits. “We look for our needs, for the best players at each positon. Scoring point guards are good. We aren’t looking for big, strong forwards. We want guys who can score and put the ball on the floor. We want a good defensive center inside. We need good players we can get. You have to go after the right guys. Some players you know will be good right away. Others will be good with development. …Tyler Ennis was not a top 5-6 point guard recruit. Jerami Grant wasn’t even all-city. Nobody was recruiting Hakim Warrick.”

Matt noted that Bill Raftery was “patenting” his favorite terms “Onions” and “”With a Kiss”. (Or Copyrighting?). JB laughed, saying he doesn’t know how he can make money off of that but then praised Raftery for being “constructive” in his commentaries over the years.

They laughed about Gene Keady getting rid of his famous comb-over, which supposedly cost $600/wk to maintain. He looks better now. Some reporter had one an article on it. “In the old days a reporter wouldn’t want Coach Keady be upset with him.”

They talked about the upcoming tournament the “2K Classic benefiting wounded warriors”. “Texas will be a top ten team. Iowa is under-rated. California has a new coach and a new system with some very good players.”

Brandon in Rochester is a Pop Warner coach who wants to “coach like Coach Boeheim”. (Zone defense, baby!) He had two questions: Why do we play Division II and Division III schools and do we recruit much in Rochester? We play DII and DIII teams because the NCAA allows you to play two ‘exhibitions’ games against such foes, (or foreign teams like Carleton). You can’t play DI teams in an exhibition. “We recruit Rochester. That’s where I got my first recruit, Roosevelt Bouie. Before that we got Marty Byrnes from there, the Greg Monroe who was on our national championship team, (he then caught himself and changed it to “played for a national championship), John Wallace who carried the team on his back to the championship game, Ryan Blackwell. All those players have been team captains. Chinoso Obokoh and Chris White are on our current team are all from the Rochester area. There’s not a lot of top players in this area but when there are, you have to get them. “

They talked about playing freshman starters. Coach has bene doing it since the Pearl but “twenty years ago guys didn’t leave so there weren’t many open slots.”

Matt closed by asking Coach if he was “feeling good” about this season. “We’ll see Friday Night.”

This was just an hour show: the second hour with Gomez doesn’t usually start until later in the season, (which is fine with me).

Am I missing something? I thought you said the show was on Thursdays? Do they tape it on Wednesday? Sorry I get easily confused...lol

From SWC's recap: They’ll have a very irregular early season schedule, working around Shafer’s show, games days and holidays: their next show will be Monday, November 24th and the one after that will be Thursday, December 4th. (Beyond that, we’ll see.)

I think they are working around Shafer's Thursday night show at present.

SWC, I was amused by your clever insertion of Moe and Buzz. Brilliant!

Buzz looks like Curley, (he even has a name that sounds right for the Stooges)

This was Moe:
99314962_moe-howardthree-stooges-8x10-copy-photo-g231-ebay.jpg

JB - "Nobody was recruiting Hakim Warrick" That includes Jimmy. Only when we lost All American Julius Hodge to NC State did we take a hard look at Hakim.

Jim Boeheim’s radio show is on Thursdays from 7-9PM on ESPN Radio in Syracuse, which is AM1200 or FM 97.7 on the dial. The show originates from Delmonico’s Italian Steakhouse on Erie Boulevard in Syracuse. The first hour, hosted by Matt Park, the Voice of the Orange, is on their general network. The second hour, which begins with the conference season, is hosted by Gomez, a local radio personality.

Matt closed by asking Coach if he was “feeling good” about this season. “We’ll see Friday Night.”

You are, indubitably, the man. Thanks a million times over, SWC.

Mo Moe:
moe-sm.jpg

Gene Keady:
bracket_keady.jpg

Now if Keady were William's assistant at Virginia Tech, it really would be Three Stooges Tech. But maybe we still need a Larry:
Larry-Fine-three-stooges-23436866-393-500.jpg

Is there a basketball coach who looks like him?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom