The Jim Boeheim Show - before Niagara | Syracusefan.com

The Jim Boeheim Show - before Niagara

SWC75

Bored Historian
Jim Boeheim’s radio show is on Thursdays from 7-8 or 9PM on ESPN Radio in Syracuse, which is AM1200 or FM 97.7 on the dial. The show originates from Carrabba's Italian Grill in Fayetteville. The first hour, hosted by Matt Park, the Voice of the Orange, is on their general network. The second hour, which begins with the conference season, is hosted by Gomez, a local radio personality.

This year’s schedule: Tuesday, November 12, 7:00 pm, Tuesday, November 19, 7:00 pm, Thursday, December 5, 7:00 pm, Thursday, December 12, 7:00 pm, Thursday, December 19, 7:00 pm, Thursday, December 26, 7:00 pm, Thursday, January 2, 7:00 pm, Thursday, January 9, 7:00 pm, Thursday, January 16, 7:00 pm, Thursday, January 23, 7:00 pm, Thursday, January 30, 7:00 pm, Thursday, February 6, 7:00 pm, Monday, February 13, 7:00 pm, Thursday, February 20, 7:00 pm, Thursday, February 27, 7:00 pm,
Thursday, March 5, 7:00 pm.

You can call into the show locally at 315-424-8599 or nationally at 1-888-746-2873. For Gomez’s portion, use 315-424-8599. Or you can submit questions from this page:
Submit a Question! - Syracuse University Athletics
Or on Twitter at mattpark1 or “askBoeheim”.

The show can be heard in Syracuse on FM 99.5. It’s sometime simulcast on AM 1200 or FM 97.7. You can also get it on: TuneIn | Free Internet Radio | NFL, Sports, Podcasts, Music & News

I will be posting my rough transcript the night of the broadcast focusing on my questions, the team and their last and next games and then a second post the next day on other things that were discussed.

MY QUESTIONS/COMMENTS

“Coach, after Saturday’s game we’ve got nothing but ACC opponents the rest of the way. We are 1-5 against that level of competition so far. In those games we’ve rebounded 24% of our misses while our opponents have rebounded 38% of theirs. We know that’s it hard to rebound out of a zone but on offense, you aren’t in a zone. What’s the key to successful offensive rebounding for this team?”

COACH BOEHEIM
(I have, in some instances, put together statements from different parts of the broadcast on the same subject. The quotes may not be verbatim –they are from my scribbled notes. I have not knowingly changed the meaning. In recent years they have started out doing one hour shows and then shifted to two hour shows in January. When they do two hour shows. I will do two posts: one on the night of the broadcast on the issues directly relating to the team on the other the next days on other things that were talked about.)

The team practiced last night for the first time in three days, (such is the life of a college basketball player).

JB: “We played two teams we should beat but both played above their level and we had to play well to beat them. We have one more game, then a week of practice to get ready for the ACC season. The schedule has bene pretty well spaced out.

Matt noted that we’ve had 10 or treys in four straight games. We had 10 all last year. JB: “We’d like to be balanced and get a little bit of both. We’re continuing to get good looks and work on the inside game. Quincy is making progress and had a very physical week of practice. He has done a good job on the boards but has to become more careful about how he gets there. Jesse has bene under the weather. Howard Washington is having a problem with his leg. We’re trying to get healthy.

I called in. I passed along the information that #1 ranked team this year have the exact same record tha5t we do- 7-5, so I guess we must be as good, (hey, we didn’t lose to the likes Evansville or Stephen . Austin!). Coach got a kick out of that. Then I asked my question, (which I revamped a bit to please JoeySimz – see the new version above)).

JB: We are not a good rebounding team. You can rebound out of a zone. We’ve got inexperienced centers and a 4 man who weigh 175 pounds. I don’t care about percentages. We are down 2-3 rebounds per game. We can make it up out of turnovers if we can get 3-4 more of them. We’re probably not going to get a lot better at rebounding. We could be a little better. In reality, it’s a wash.” Matt noted that we had only 4 turnovers vs. North Florida. Jim said “We’ll take that any time we can get close to that all year. Our passes haven’t been conservative: we’re getting a lot of assists and that means that we’re moving the ball.”

Josh in Boulder wondered why Joe Girard didn’t have more three point attempts- like he did in high school. JB: “he took 35-40 shots in high school. Here he’s the point guard. We have four guys in double figures. I like that balance.” Matt noted that we had five DF scorers vs. North Florida. We were down by 2 in rebounds but +8 in turnovers. JB: “We finished well. We haven’t been in too many close games. Our ball movement and defense are better. North Florida will give a lot of teams trouble if they shoot like that, (17 treys). They actually have 4 guys at or close to 40%. Not many teams have that. It was an interesting game.”

Georgia Tech has Jordan Usher, a USC transfer now eligible and their point guard, Jose Alvarado back. “They will be a different team when they come to the Dome”.

They talked about the Christmas Day NBA games. Milwaukee got blown out by the Sixers. “They backed off 10 feet from ‘The Greek Freak’, (Jim didn’t try to pronounce it), and he couldn’t hit anything. Clippers vs. Lakers was good. LeBron will be out for a while with a groin injury. Kahwi is the game’s best player. Paul George is very good. And they have Montrezl Harrell and Lou Williams coming off the bench.

On Tristan Jackson going to the pros: “It’s a little surprising. it doesn’t look like he’s one of the top guys in the draft.

Jake, a boy at the restaurant, submitted a question that requri4ed plenty of consideration: “Po9siton by positon, what would be Jim’s all time Syracuse team on offense and then on defense? Jim just mentioned names. “Lawrence Moten, Carmelo Anthony, Billy Owens, Pearl Washington, Sherman Douglas and Derrick Coleman would be strong contenders for the all-offense team. Roosevelt Bouie “Was probably the best or one of the best defensive centers we’ve had here. So was Etan Thomas. Derrick Coleman was a great defender, as was Michael Carter-Williams, CJ Fair, Tyler Lyden, Rakeem Christmas and especially Baye Moussa Keita.”

He likes players who can play more than one positon and cited Marek Dolezaj and Elijah Hughes on this team. (The latter observation is interesting considering 20 Plus’s constant suggestions that Hughes should be playing in the backcourt.) “Marek is a point forward. That’s why we move the ball so well. He makes the team go form good to great. The NBA has point forwards: Magic, LeBron, Draymond Green. (All just like Marek.) It’s hard to defend when shooters change position.” He referred to North Florida but noted that they got off only 9 two point shots and didn’t get to the line, (only 12 free throws).

On Niagara, now coached by Greg Paulus: “He was a great player here for CBA and for Duke and then came home to play quarterback for us for one year and he played very well considering that he hadn’t played in four years. At Niagara, he’s done as well as could have been expected, (he’s 2-8).” Matt said that Greg was an ‘interim’ coach for about 10 minutes. JB: It was a good move so now he can recruit. The beat Colgate just before Colgate beat Cincinnati. They have a lot of guys who can dribble and shoot and those kinds of teams are always dangerous. They’ve got perimeter players but lack size- so do we. When you go out there to play anything can happen. That’s college basketball right now. “

The trivia question for this week was: What opposing player scored the most points ever against Syracuse?

I'll bet he scored 68 points. ;)

34 in each half. He also had a 50 point game where he scored 34 in a half so he has three 34 point halves against us.

Remembering Murphy's 68-point game, 50 years later

Jim said that Murphy was a "non-scholarship player - he used the money he made from baton twirling to pay for college". That seems amazing but Murphy was amazing. "he stopped on a dime and could elevate 3-4 feet on his jump shot. We had two guys on him and the other three played zone. He'd beat the two guys and shoot before a third guy could get to him." Matt asked who had the most rebounds in a game. JB: " I was there for that one, too." (Julius Erving had 32 in a 1971 game for UMASS).

i was busy and only caught part of the show. caught the tristan question. JB questioned a bit why anybody who's not a high draft pick would bolt but both guys wished him the best. did i not hear JB mention something about coaching these days is all about winning and he hoped niagara would give paulus 4-5 years ?

Clap for the Mooseman ( clapclapclapclapclap)
You gonna dig him 'til the day you die

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom