The Jim Boeheim Show - before Northeastern. | Syracusefan.com

The Jim Boeheim Show - before Northeastern.

SWC75

Bored Historian
Jim Boeheim’s radio show is on Thursdays, (Wednesdays until the Dino Babers Show ends) from 7-8 or 9PM on ESPN Radio in Syracuse, which is AM1200 or FM 97.7 on the dial. The show is at Carrabba's Italian Grill at 550 Towne Drive, Fayetteville, NY. The first hour, hosted by Matt Park, the Voice of the Orange, is on their general network. The second hour, which usually begins with the conference season, is hosted by Gomez, a local radio personality. Last year they did a third half hour segment on Twitch.
Their schedule: Americu Jim Boeheim Show Starts Nov. 9 - Syracuse University Athletics

You can call into the show locally at 315-424-8599 or nationally at 1-888-746-2873. For Gomez’s portion, use 315-424-8599. Or you can submit questions from this page:
Submit a Question! - Syracuse University Athletics
Or on Twitter at mattpark1 or “askBoeheim”.

The show can be heard in Syracuse on FM 99.5. It’s sometime simulcast on AM 1200 or FM 97.7. You can also get it on: TuneIn | Free Internet Radio | Live News, Sports, Music, and Podcasts
There’s now a third segment where Jim and Gomez can be seen on camera at:
The early shows tend to be in a one-hour format. I'll post a summary of them the same night. When they do two hour shows. I will do two posts: the Matt Park segment the night of the show and the Gomez segment the next day.

MY QUESTIONS/COMMENTS

For the Matt Park Segment:

“Coach, a year ago we lost to Colgate in a similar game but with a different line-up. That team had a bumpy ride but turned out to be a pretty good team by the end of the season, having a winning streak until Jesse got hurt and even then, we were able to give North Carolina and Duke quite a battle and blow the doors off Florida State. How far is this year’s team from being a team that could do things like that?”

For the Gomez segment:

“Coach, Benny Williams is finally making his presence felt after a disappointing first year. What held him back and how good can he get this year?”

(For the third segment on Twitch I’ll improvise a question or two after listening to the rest of the show.)

COACH BOEHEIM
(I have, in some instances, put together statements from different parts of the broadcast on the same subject. The quotes may not be verbatim –they are from my scribbled notes. I have not knowingly changed the meaning.)

Firstly, a couple of schedule notes: The next two SU basketball games will be at 4PM. There will be no Jim Boeheim show next week as the team will be in Brooklyn.

On the Colgate game, Jim gave basically the same summary as he did in his post-game press conference, saying “Our defense was good in spots but our offense was poor. Defending Colgate is really difficult for us. We gave their best player three uncontested threes in the first half. At times we were there but didn’t defend. Moffit is 6-7 and Richardson is 6-5. They are one of the tallest teams we will play and are really physical.”

I called in my first question, trying to compare where this team is to where last year’s team was after the Colgate loss. JB: “We’re a lot farther off on offense. Our defense can be better. We had bad positioning. Jesse get into position and didn’t finish. Benny had a really great second half. We have to rest Joe and Judah more and get Sy into the backcourt. Colgate is better than last year, bigger and stronger and another year older. You have to play at their level on offense. Joe had 4 open shots and missed a lay-up. It could have been a close game. We have improvements we can and must make. Northeastern is young but they have good players. Richmond is a lot like Colgate. They can pass it and shoot it. St. John’s has a really good post presence and depth at guard and on the wings. Temple has a good team. Bryant almost beat us a couple years ago. They are good and Illinois is really good. This is how you get better: you play good teams. It’s too early to get down on the team.”

I told the coach that it seemed to me that his best defensive teams were his best teams. JB: “There’s no question we can be a better defensive team. I feel that we didn’t put the energy we should into our defense because we got caught up in our our offensive problems. We pressed for 30 minutes and we’re not really a good pressing team.” [We never are.] “We got 2-3 steals, which was positive but it’s hard to sustain.” Matt mentioned that they have “more bodies to dress this year”. JB: “But the bodies we need in there – Jesse, Benny, Judah, get tired. You don’t want to wear guys out. The press has to be beneficial. It's not hard to beat pressure. It’s difficult to press good teams. How many teams around the country press all the time? ... In practice we tell them that every open shot you give up is a bucket. We emphasize what you have to do against the better shooters.”

Coach said this about a player and, unfortunately, I didn’t catch the player’s name: “He has energy and enthusiasm. He’s a driver and passer who plays with a lot of energy. He’s active and vocal. He plays as hard as anybody we’ve ever had in practice. You have to find your spots. A lot of things you did in high school don’t work in college, like those blind passes.” It might have been Judah Mintz but the blind pass line makes me think he was talking about Quadir Copeland.

Someone, (I didn’t get the name) called from Colorado. He wondered why Jesse didn’t get the ball more when every time he gets it, he does something good with it. JB: “His guys just pushed him out of the way, just walked him out.” [I guess if it appears they are going for a walk together it’s not a foul.] “it’s hard for centers. It’s a physical game. Michigan has a center, Hunter Dickenson who is 7-0 300 pounds. [7-1 260 per Lindy’s. Why can’t we get a guy like that?] “Jesse’s not effective outside the lane. He doesn’t have a quick dribble move.”

Brett called in, wondering if our conditioning was up to par. “It’s our fourth game!”. I thought might get a defensive response but it was more balanced than that. “We as much or more running and play full court in practice. We looked a step slow. It may have been nervous energy. The first 5-6 minutes guys didn’t look like they were going.” Matt asked if any technology is used, like measuring heart rates. Jim said they do that and “I haven’t heard anything back. In practice, the coaches are talking constantly to the players but in the gamer they are on their own. There was some slippage. We were a step slow and a little out of sync. When people are not sure where they are supposed to be, they are going to look slow.

Judah Mintz “was very steady. He didn’t turn it over and made some really good plays.” He ahs to get better helping other people. He could be a very good defender. Benny had a really good last 25 minutes. When Joe’s not making shots he’s still a play maker. Just because you are playing the 2, it doesn’t mean you can’t be a playmaker.”

Kyle in Carthage asked about Mounir Hima’s offensive potential. JB: “He’s really more of a defensive presence right now. He missed the last two years high school and didn’t play his first year at Duquesne until towards the end. He just needs time and practice. Peter Carey has got skills but he’ just not strong enough for now.” Maliq Brown hurt his hip but we should be ready by Saturday.”

Kansas, Kentucky, Duke and Michigan State are having their annual get-together. “There are a lot of good teams and a lot of good players. The transfer portal and NIL got a lot of teams better.”

Matt noted that today’s date is the date of the last “real” game the men played at Manley Field House, against George Washington in 1994. JB: “We were horrible, then Michael Lloyd hit a long three and we went into the overtime and were even more horrible.”

They talked about the murder of the Virginia football players. “I don’t know how you deal with that. It was a walk-on. There are so many shootings you don’t even hear about and 3-4 people were killed.” Should they play any more games? “I’d leave that up to the players: what do they want to do. It isn’t something that people above them should decide and then tell them what to do.”

JB saw some of the Bills game but missed the fumble by Allen. “Football is a slow game there’s a million different things you can do. It and baseball are the second guess games. There’s no time for that in basketball.” [That’s why JB never gets second-guessed.]

Gomez went back to that 1994 George Washington loss at Manley. He said that was the first ever SU basketball game played prior to Jim Boeheim’s birthday, (he was born 11/17/44 and will be 78 by the time I finish typing this report). “We traditionally played the last weekend in November. Practice started 10/15 so we got about 6 weeks in. Now we start practice in late September and we get about 4 weeks. (Before the change) we had too many games in too few days). Gomez said that JB is 3-0 in games played on his birthday. He was surprised there had been 3 such games. [11/17/98 93-40 over Colgate, the good old days, 11/17/05 81-46 over Bobby Knight and Texas Tech, 11/17/15 79-66 over St. Bonaventure] Jim also shares a birthday with Elvin Hayes. Gomez said that he’d read that players would start practice carrying bricks in a movement drill. JB said he hasn’t done that since his first 5-6 years as head coach.

They again discussed the Colgate game. “Colgate was stronger and more physical. We catch them early when we’re not ready to play at the level. Young players have to understand that these guys can make the shots high school players miss. With a really good offensive game it would have been close.” Gomez said that Colgate “didn’t have a lot of wasted time or wasted passes. JB: “We’ve got to develop our young forwards and Jesse can’t let them push him around. We’ve got to make the effort to get back on defense and getting to the shooters.”

Gomez asked if there were ‘teaching moments’ in the Colgate game. JB, laughing, “a lot of them. We didn’t contest shots and didn’t get back. We didn’t cover the boards. We took the wrong shots from the wrong spots. We’ve got to run better and move the ball better. We have to utilize younger players more. To see if they can get better. We still need the veterans.” Is the team better at zone or man-for-man? “Zone by a lot. We’re still struggling with man.” Did Jim watch film of the game? “I watched in last night and today I watched clips with the players. But then we have to compare for the next game. You can’t look backward in basketball.”

I then called in to ask my Benny Williams question. Last year, “he was never really in shape or ready to go. His shooting was very erratic.” [Actually it was consistently bad.] He’s got to get to the glass and use his mid-range jumper. He’s not making three pointers in practice and he won’t make them in games. He was 6-4 before his growth spurt and played outside and he still has an outside mentality. They are letting him take that medium jump shot, thinking he can’t shoot it. When he makes them, he can drive around them. People forget that James Southerland didn’t play his freshman year. He turned out to be pretty good…Chris Bell and Josh Taylor aren’t quite ready yet. Kids and parents aren’t patient…We’ve showed we aren’t there yet. Players can’t see that until they lose. Twenty years ago, a smaller team couldn’t beat you. They had experienced guys but so did we and our guys were better. We kept guys back then. We won by 30 points….Louisville is taking transfers from lower division schools. They lost to Bellarmine, (and are 0-3). Tennessee lost to Grambling.” (Actually, Tennessee lost to Colorado who lost to Grambling.]

Tom in Camillus asked if JB was surprised at the Colgate result. JB: “No. I thought we could have won. I thought we could stay within 6-8 points and get one at the end.” [Instead we got one in the end.] “It’s not a fluke- they are good. Colgate is any level good.”

A caller asked about the toughness of the younger players. “They have good skill sets and there are more good players. You have to develop toughness over time.” Gomez asked about Jesse’s weigh gain. JB: “He came here at 205 and is now 230. That’s pretty good.”

A Twitcher asked what Jim’s favorite place to recruit. “I don’t have one. I just fly in, talk and fly out again, on to the next player.” He once flew to Germany to try to recruit a player, then flew to Louisiana to try to recruit Dave Johnson.

He congratulated Jim on administering losses to nearly 1,100 opponents, which brought a chuckle. It was a successful means of avoiding the subject of 1,100 wins. “We’ll try to do more”.

Melo “could get picked up in the next 2-3 weeks if someone gets injured.” Gomez noted that Shaquille O’Neal has asserted that there was more than one moon.
Shaq Thinks There Are Two Moons.
JB said he must have been counting one going around other planets. “He’s a smart guy though. He was always having meetings with businessmen. He’ll probably wind up a billionaire.”

The 20th anniversary reunion of the national championship teams “will probably be for the Wake Forest game, (on March 4th). It will be late in the season.”

Aaron Rodgers said that all football games should be played on grass. JB: “that’s something you say when you are losing. There’s a lot of turf fields. And not all the injuries occur on them. I don’t think there’s any proof. You can’t play on grass indoors. The weather was much worse when we played in Archbold. That place was a mud bath.”

Gomez asked if JB had seen the documentary on the Redeem team, (our 2008 Olympic team – the first one where JB was on Mike Krzyzewski’s staff) on Netflix. He did. “The NBA covered everything we did everyday from morning to midnight. After a while, you don’t even notice that they are there.” I watched that documentary while typing this up, (split screen). JB is basically an extra in it, appearing in a handful of scenes with the camera never focused on him. He’s not interviewed and no other sound was picked up from him. The most poignant shot was when he was seated at one of a several circular tables at a dinner where the team sang happy birthday to Kobe as he held his then tiny daughter Gigi standing right next to the table Jim was sitting at.

The Redeem Team: Watch The Redeem Team | Netflix Official Site

Last edited:
Well hopefully he has a better plan against Northeastern. Their best player is averaging 20 a game and is a 6-7 224 who can shoot the 3. Also more athletic than Richardson at Colgate. NEs best 3pt shooter is a 6-7 forward. They then have 3 other solid guards at 6-6, 6-5 and 6-8.

Good report. JB shared more aspects of this game than I’ve ever heard from him before. He really broke down the positive and the negative. He understands what his young players are thinking and doing. This will take time to fix. He also realizes that Jesse is not going to have much room to operate inside. They really can’t space the floor with only one shooter. The only physical player on this team is Symir. I’ve always questioned why we are always a finesse team. When was the last time we had a physical, tough, hard nosed player? JB does seem calm and realizes this team is a work in progress. I said during the game against Colgate, that as bad as our defense was, our offense was the reason we lost this game. JB said the same thing. Young players, and players in general have a tendency to play hard if they are playing well on offense. This team did not play hard the other night. Their heads went down whenever the other team hit a three. They act shocked when players made shots. We react after they get the ball instead of not allowing them the space or time to shoot. It’s a combination of poor recognization and being a little lazy.

JB's call out of Jesse is pretty fair. He's not strong enough (or aggressive/committed enough) to securing his spot on the block where he needs to be. He's getting pushed out by guys that are bigger, but not better than him. Also, he doesn't make quick decisions. He's taking way too long to make a move. JB is right about all of that.

Seems like JB really wants it to click for Q. Giving him a shoutout for what he does in practice and all the energy he brings is great. Q can just have the game slow down a half beat, seems like the PT is right there for him.

He's also right about Benny and not shooting threes. Don't care if he made one last game.

With all that said, he's still not acknowledging his decision making and how the roster is constructed, but c'est la vie.

Biggest thing from this is that Jesse better be better on O and Q has the opportunity staring at him, he just needs to grab it.

Judah, Joe, Sy
Benny, Q, Brown
Jesse, Hima

8 man rotation by conf time.

Closing group of Judah, Joe, Sy, Jesse and best forward of the game.

[Two edits: 1) thanks for the write up SWC75 and 2) the redeem team doc is solid for the behind the scenes stuff, but it's kind of a fluff piece. If you're an NBA fan, it's cool.]

"Jesse, Benny, Judah, get tired. You don’t want to wear guys out."

ok coach.. then explain how you happen to land so many of your starters in the top 25 mpg every year ?

JB's call out of Jesse is pretty fair. He's not strong enough (or aggressive/committed enough) to securing his spot on the block where he needs to be. He's getting pushed out by guys that are bigger, but not better than him. Also, he doesn't make quick decisions. He's taking way too long to make a move. JB is right about all of that.

Seems like JB really wants it to click for Q. Giving him a shoutout for what he does in practice and all the energy he brings is great. Q can just have the game slow down a half beat, seems like the PT is right there for him.

He's also right about Benny and not shooting threes. Don't care if he made one last game.

With all that said, he's still not acknowledging his decision making and how the roster is constructed, but c'est la vie.

Biggest thing from this is that Jesse better be better on O and Q has the opportunity staring at him, he just needs to grab it.

Judah, Joe, Sy
Benny, Q, Brown
Jesse, Hima

8 man rotation by conf time.

Closing group of Judah, Joe, Sy, Jesse and best forward of the game.

[Two edits: 1) thanks for the write up SWC75 and 2) the redeem team doc is solid for the behind the scenes stuff, but it's kind of a fluff piece. If you're an NBA fan, it's cool.]

I like the roster, which is deep. It's the line-up I have a problem with. I just think the Judah-at-the-point experiment is unlikely to work. He's a 2, not a 1. Our best backcourt is Torrance and Judah. The problem is, we need Joe for the outside threat, since Bell and Taylor are doing nothing so far. that's why I'd like to see a rotation of Joe, Judah and Sy in the backcourt with either Joe or Sy in there with Judah. And maybe work Q in there since he was recruited for the point.

I like the roster, which is deep. It's the line-up I have a problem with. I just think the Judah-at-the-point experiment is unlikely to work. He's a 2, not a 1. Our best backcourt is Torrance and Judah. The problem is, we need Joe for the outside threat, since Bell and Taylor are doing nothing so far. that's why I'd like to see a rotation of Joe, Judah and Sy in the backcourt with either Joe or Sy in there with Judah. And maybe work Q in there since he was recruited for the point.

I think Q will be a really fluid player, positionally, that JB can really unleash as Q gets better and better. I can see him slotting in at the 1, playing a bit off ball in the back court and then slotting in at the SF as needed.

Just good basketball player, regardless of position. But I do like the idea of him and Judah as a back court once they get their sea legs.

Good report. JB shared more aspects of this game than I’ve ever heard from him before. He really broke down the positive and the negative. He understands what his young players are thinking and doing. This will take time to fix. He also realizes that Jesse is not going to have much room to operate inside. They really can’t space the floor with only one shooter. The only physical player on this team is Symir. I’ve always questioned why we are always a finesse team. When was the last time we had a physical, tough, hard nosed player? JB does seem calm and realizes this team is a work in progress. I said during the game against Colgate, that as bad as our defense was, our offense was the reason we lost this game. JB said the same thing. Young players, and players in general have a tendency to play hard if they are playing well on offense. This team did not play hard the other night. Their heads went down whenever the other team hit a three. They act shocked when players made shots. We react after they get the ball instead of not allowing them the space or time to shoot. It’s a combination of poor recognization and being a little lazy.

Is Jesse's problem, (room to operate)) comparable to Sean Tucker's problem? The lack of an outside game might turn out to be the equivalent of the lack of a passing game.

Well hopefully he has a better plan against Northeastern. Their best player is averaging 20 a game and is a 6-7 224 who can shoot the 3. Also more athletic than Richardson at Colgate. NEs best 3pt shooter is a 6-7 forward. They then have 3 other solid guards at 6-6, 6-5 and 6-8.
I "like" your sharing of info, but not the info you are sharing! Looks like it could be a long night if we are not better prepared. Hopefully we will improve enough to pass the test. The one edge Colgate had over Richmond was they defeated us last year.

Is Jesse's problem, (room to operate)) comparable to Sean Tucker's problem? The lack of an outside game might turn out to be the equivalent of the lack of a passing game.
No. Tucker's biggest issue was playing injured and getting progressively more worn out because he refused to come out of the game.

I "like" your sharing of info, but not the info you are sharing! Looks like it could be a long night if we are not better prepared. Hopefully we will improve enough to pass the test. The one edge Colgate had over Richmond was they defeated us last year.
if we lose to an 0-3 Northeastern team that was 9-22 last year, we might as well just shut down the program. Ok, that is a bit dramatic, but you get my drift.

"Jesse, Benny, Judah, get tired. You don’t want to wear guys out."

ok coach.. then explain how you happen to land so many of your starters in the top 25 mpg every year ?
When questioned about Joe and Buddy playing soo many minutes and not playing a bench, he said guys dont get tired with the scheduled tv timeouts. Oh how he changes his tune.

if we lose to an 0-3 Northeastern team that was 9-22 last year, we might as well just shut down the program. Ok, that is a bit dramatic, but you get my drift.

I have a feeling that the Colgate loss is going to look worse and worse as the season progresses. Teams that play a capable mtm and have athletes are going to shut them down. Brown, who isn't very good, defended them much better than we did by just being more consistent.

I hear you and agree but right now I am gun shy when I hear we will be facing 3 big guards after our poor showing Tuesday against Colgate. Good test to see if we are addressing the wide open 3s with our defense or not. Still tough to remember all those wide open 3s.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom