The Jim Boeheim Show - before Notre Dame I | Syracusefan.com

The Jim Boeheim Show - before Notre Dame I

SWC75

Bored Historian
Jim Boeheim’s radio show is on Thursdays from 7-8 or 9PM on ESPN Radio in Syracuse, which is AM1200 or FM 97.7 on the dial. The show originates from Carrabba's Italian Grill in Fayetteville. The first hour, hosted by Matt Park, the Voice of the Orange, is on their general network. The second hour, which begins with the conference season, is hosted by Gomez, a local radio personality.

This year’s schedule: Tuesday, November 12, 7:00 pm, Tuesday, November 19, 7:00 pm, Thursday, December 5, 7:00 pm, Thursday, December 12, 7:00 pm, Thursday, December 19, 7:00 pm, Thursday, December 26, 7:00 pm, Thursday, January 2, 7:00 pm, Thursday, January 9, 7:00 pm, Thursday, January 16, 7:00 pm, Thursday, January 23, 7:00 pm, Thursday, January 30, 7:00 pm, Thursday, February 6, 7:00 pm, Monday, February 13, 7:00 pm, Thursday, February 20, 7:00 pm, Thursday, February 27, 7:00 pm,
Thursday, March 5, 7:00 pm.

You can call into the show locally at 315-424-8599 or nationally at 1-888-746-2873. For Gomez’s portion, use 315-424-8599. Or you can submit questions from this page:
Submit a Question! - Syracuse University Athletics
Or on Twitter at mattpark1 or “askBoeheim”.

The show can be heard in Syracuse on FM 99.5. It’s sometime simulcast on AM 1200 or FM 97.7. You can also get it on: TuneIn | Free Internet Radio | NFL, Sports, Podcasts, Music & News

I will be posting my rough transcript the night of the broadcast focusing on my questions, the team and their last and next games and then a second post the next day on other things that were discussed.

MY QUESTIONS/COMMENTS

First Hour:

“Coach, a lot of people are assuming that this team is about to go over the falls in a barrel, having already lost 5 games and here comes 18 straight ACC games. But I’ve checked the Pomeroy and Sagarin ratings and we are ranked higher than 12 of the 18 opponents. This has been one of our most difficulty November and December schedules and the ACC may be having a down year. How much better is the conference than the teams we’ve already played? “

Second Hour:

“Coach, it’s been said that Jesse Edwards and Howard Washington, due to their injuries, lost an important opportunity to play in these recent games. What is the role of practice in player development and what is the role of game experience?”

COACH BOEHEIM
(I have, in some instances, put together statements from different parts of the broadcast on the same subject. The quotes may not be verbatim –they are from my scribbled notes. I have not knowingly changed the meaning. In recent years they have started out doing one hour shows and then shifted to two hour shows in January. When they do two hour shows. I will do two posts: one on the night of the broadcast on the issues directly relating to the team on the other the next days on other things that were talked about.)

JB: “Against Niagara we substituted and lost our rhythm. We didn’t make some shots we normally make. It’s difficult to play against small teams. They come at 6-10 players from angles they’ve never seen.”

“Notre Dame is a veteran team. They literally have everybody back. It’s rare to have everybody back. They started slow but are getting better now. They are a pretty good team. The ACC has 7 or 8 or 9 or 10 pretty good teams.” Later he was asked what are the keys to beating Notre Dame. “There is no one key. We have to play all aspects of the game. We can’t focus on just one thing. They are very much like us with good shooting and passing. But they are stronger inside.”

Howard and Jesse will be back for this game. They have practiced four times this week. We’ll see what role they can play. Brycen will be available but he missed 3 days of practice. “He can get a custom fit for his mark until the swelling goes down. Even then it will be hard to see. He’ll need a couple of games and some practices to get used to it. We haven’t had a broken nose for a long time- a few bloodied but not broken.”

The Orangewomen keep playing ranked teams- Florida State tonight and then Notre Dame who is usually ranked. “They’ve played two #1 teams. Tiana was one of the two best point guards in the country, along with the Oregon guard.”

To my first question: “We’ve played 4 top 30 teams and it might have been 5 if Oklahoma State hadn’t lost their point guard for 3 games. There are 2-3 teams like that in our league. We have a good schedule with good teams ahead. The teams we’ve lost too are much better than they have been. We weren’t ready to play Virginia in the first game. I hope we will have improved by the time we play them again. We’re a young team and we’re improving every week. It’s going to be all about match-ups. We’ll see how it goes. We won’t know anything until the next 7-8 games. “

Ohio State had gotten off to a strong start, then lost a couple of games. “West Virginia is much improved. There’s a lot of balance. Utah State was 11-2 and got blown out by 7-8 UNLV. There’s always teams that go 11-2 or 10-3 who aren’t as good as their record.” (Yes, coach but are there 8-5 teams that aren’t as good as their record?) Matt noted that only Auburn and San Diego State are still undefeated (and they are ranked 8th and 13th).

Coach and David Stern “crossed paths at the Olympics and sometimes at the World Championships. He’d come in for the semi-finals and finals and stay in the same hotel as the players. He was a very smart guy. You didn’t want to say anything stupid around him. When he took over in 1984 the NBA was at the bottom. He took it into the Olympics, into Europe and China and Africa. He ran the league. If you ran afoul of him, you weren’t going to do well. He groomed Adam Silver to replace him and he’s a great fit. He’s just as smart as David was but without the hard edge. “

Josh in boulder talked about how Colorado is a pretty good team. Then he asked how we can improve our rebounding. This produced the same answer as my question on the same subject last week. “We’re only down 2 rebounds a game and are +4 in turnovers so we’re getting more opportunities to score. Our rebounding has only been bad in a couple of games and in those games our defense was as big a problem. The offense was a problem in 2-3 of the losses. It helps when we’re shooting better and making fewer turnovers.” Matt said that John Mooney was perhaps the best rebounder in the country and had 18 against Alabama A&M. “But there were plenty of missed shots in that game.” JB: He’s a veteran player and a good rebounder who can score.”

Virginia Tech “has exceeded expectations. They have a new coach who came in from Wofford.

Michelle asked “Why do you prefer the 2-3 zone to man-to-man?’ (Ugh) “Because it’s better for us. We recruit for the zone. It’s the defense we prefer.”

Seamus wanted to know what the hardest part of coaching is. “Watching a player work very hard and still not get quite good enough to play.”

Matt asked Jim if there was “anything you didn’t see coming when you first started coaching”. “Not much has changed. You’ve got your team and you have to find a way to beat the other team. There’s better coaching these days and more good players and teams. When we play a lower level team we don’t win by 30-40 points anymore….North Florida made 17 threes. The next game they made 10. That’s 21 points….Florida A&M is 2-9 and they just beat Iowa State.” They discussed the type of schedules schools like Florida A&M and Texas Southern play: 8-10 straight road games against power conference teams. “They make $80,000 for each of these games and that takes care of their scholarships. It doesn’t matter to them because the only way they can get into the tournament is to win their league. Texas Southern went 1-10, then won their league and got into the tournament.”

Regarding North Florida’s treys: they made 21 in one game, (the national high). Notre Dame had a game where they made 20. SU had made 14 twice. JB: “I could see us in the 15-20 range in some games.” that good for the game? “I don’t know but it’s the direction we’re going in.”

Michael in Fayetteville asked what an 8th grader who wants to play college ball should do. JB: “A lot of hard work. It’s every day all year around. You have to play AAU ball in the summer. You can’t take two months off and make it in college. You’ve got to focus in to be a Division I player. Our guys lift for three days. They go in the morning to shoot for an hour and 15 minutes. They play pick =up ball in the afternoon. It’s at least 4 hours a day.“

Matt looked over Division I statistical trends. In 1997 the percentage of treys made was 33.9%. Now it’s 33.1%. Teams don’t turn it over as much. Jim took that opportunity to say “That’s why we can’t press anymore. There’s too many good ball handlers and passers.” What trends in college basketball has Jim opposed? “The 3 point shot isn’t my favorite thing but I’m kind of used to it. It’s a difference maker in defense. Before you protected the basket much more. Now you have to go out and protect the three point line. “Can we sustain the three point shooting through the season? JB: “Why not? Of course we can?”

Dave, who was at the restaurant, asked if the 3 point line should be moved ‘back’. I assumed that he meant that it should be father out but Jim interpreted it to mean “back to where it was last year”. He said that it’s too early to tell and it “depends on the frequency of shots”. Matt wondered if there was a movement on to standardize basketball rules through the various levels, (which he wasn’t necessarily in favor of: “Why does it have to be? Why can’t the colleges go their own way?”). Jim would like the shot clock to be 24 seconds, which he said is enough for even the slowest teams to get a shot off. But he thinks that will be “down the road”. He’d like to see a wider lane. “No, it doesn’t have to be.”

Tom in New Hartford asked about “the adjustment to the ACC” and does Jim miss our old rivals in the Big East? Jim said that “Those rivalries took 30 years to build up and we started playing those teams twice a year. We’re starting to develop relationships with the ACC teams. The ACC has been good for us in all sports. “

Jim doesn’t pay much attention to the bowls. “They are hard to watch once we went to a national championship tournament….LSU is clearly the best team. Clemson has that streak going and a chip on their shoulder. And they have a quarterback who has bene there and won it.”

Gomez took over from Matt Park for a second hour, which he will do in the remainder of the shows this season. He stated by asking what Jim remembered about Y2k, the computer problems that was supposed to make everything stop when we entered the new millennium. “Nothing.” Does Jim remember where he was and what he was doing when the clocks turned to the year 2000? “No. I don’t remember everything I’ve done this year, much less 20 years ago.” Gomez asked what he remembered about the 1999-2000 team. “Not a thing.” Gomez sited some of the players on that team: Etan Thomas, Jason hart, Preston Shumpert, etc. Jim agreed that with those players it must have been a good team. Gomez said they wound up 26-6, 13-3 in the conference. They didn’t lose until February 7th. Jim thought that might be the year we won 25 in a row. No Jim, that was the year we started 19-0. Did Jim remember who we beat in his last game of the 1990’s. “No.” it was Hartford, 90-69 on 12/29/99. Does he remember who they beat in their first game of the 2000’s? “No.” Rutgers 93-74 on 1/5/00. Our 2009-210 teams went 30-5. Jim remembered that they were a good team. Gomez started to describe their achievements when Jim interrupted him, saying he could see where this was going. “We’ve got a long way to go to get there this year.” He did recall Arinze Onuaku going down. “it was a crazy injury. We had to play everybody out of positon and we weren’t the same team.”

What did they work on over the break? “Everything. We can’t hone in on one thing. We’ve just got to get better in every area.”

I called in my second question: “Practice is very imp0rotant to get there. You can get better in practice even if you didn’t play well in a game. It’s much more rare to practice poorly and then play well. Lawrence Moten wouldn’t look to score in practice but became the Big east’s all-time leading scorer. Most players play as they practice. There are so many different aspects to the game. It’s a fluid game you can’t stop after every play and figure it out. Some guys take longer to pick it up than others. Practice is the key to getting on the court.” He laughed at the memory of Alan Iverson complaining about practice. “He’s a pro who has played hundreds of games. Practice in crucial in college. They are learning things they never knew. Jesse came over from the Netherlands. He played in a lower level high school. (IMG?) He does have talent, a really good skill set. He needs to practice. Games are different. It all varies. Quincy sat out last year and in the AAU game I saw, he attempted 15 threes. He’s got all the physical skills but is learning the game.” Gomez brought up Rony Seikaly, who had little experience in the game when he came here. “Rony had tremendous talent – as much as any big guy we’ve had here. In today’s game he would have gone to the NBA after one year- DC, too. A lot of the guys who do don’t make it in the NBA.”

Dick Vitale selected an all-decade team: Anthony Davis (Jim: “For sure”), Zion Williamson (“Very talented”), Trey Burke (?), Kemba Walker, (“He’s good”) and Buddy Hield (He had a good year.”) “It’s hard to remember who played in what decade.”

Gomez tried to talk about the women’s team. The coach sounded like he was trying not to go asleep. “They have a good team. They played two #1 teams. They are over-scheduled a bit. Tonight’s game would be a good one to get. “ (They got it - in a classic.)

Melo had another good game in his return to Madison Square garden. “One of his best games- I’ve seen about 5 of them. Portland has 2-3 guys out yet they are only one game out of the playoffs. He’s averaging about 17 a game and has given them a third option, despite being out for a year.”

This week’s trivia question is: What SU player was the first to be congratulated by David Stern for being drafted in the first round?

Pearl is my guess in 1986. I don't know if SU had any players drafted in 84 or 85. I know the Pearl went in 86.

You are correct I think. Leo Rautins was first round in 1983

caught a little bit. heard coach say something to the effect that it's no longer practical to press becuz athletes and teams have too many good ball handlers to make it effective. so don't expect a lot of press.

Thanks, as always, for your work in these reports.

JB is right in reminding us that it isn’t only the rankings of the opponents that will make a difference. “It is going to be about the match-ups.” Does the opponent have a strong center who will push us around? Do they have a defender who can hold Hughes below his average? Can they keep pressure on Girard and Buddy?

Thanks, as always, for the write-up.

This cracks me up:
Gomez asked what he remembered about the 1999-2000 team. “Not a thing.” Gomez sited some of the players on that team: Etan Thomas, Jason hart, Preston Shumpert, etc. Jim agreed that with those players it must have been a good team. Gomez said they wound up 26-6, 13-3 in the conference. They didn’t lose until February 7th. Jim thought that might be the year we won 25 in a row. No Jim, that was the year we started 19-0. Did Jim remember who we beat in his last game of the 1990’s. “No.” it was Hartford, 90-69 on 12/29/99. Does he remember who they beat in their first game of the 2000’s? “No.”
It reinforces, to me anyway, how weird it is to listen to baseball players talk how it seems most of them can remember, in detail, some match-up they had against one pitcher.
Him? Oh yeah, I did OK against him.
You were 4 for 8 with a HR and two doubles.
Yeah, good pitcher, but I saw the ball well out of his hand. That first inning HR came in an April day game on a 2-2 hanging slider after I had just missed an inside fastball. Those doubles were the next month in a night game on the road ...

i struck me as well that jimbo was very hazy on stuff that happened in just the last ten years. holiday hangover.

caught a little bit. heard coach say something to the effect that it's no longer practical to press becuz athletes and teams have too many good ball handlers to make it effective. so don't expect a lot of press.
I heard that too and found it interesting because I think teams could press us out of the building this year.

Quincy sat out last year? That might explain some things.

Quincy sat out last year? That might explain some things.
He didn’t play Canadian high school ball last season. He graduated in December and was hoping to enroll at SU in January. But they found out he needed one more course to qualify per NCAA eligibility rules. He’s from Montreal, so high school is different up there. I believe he was still at his prep school second semester but couldn’t play.

He didn’t play Canadian high school ball last season. He graduated in December and was hoping to enroll at SU in January. But they found out he needed one more course to qualify per NCAA eligibility rules. He’s from Montreal, so high school is different up there. I believe he was still at his prep school second semester but couldn’t play.
Oh yes, I am vaguely remembering the player who wanted to come in January. That was Q. I have been so surprised by how unskilled he seems to be. Could he be very very rusty? (Although he looked good in Italy, FWIW.)

Pearl is my guess in 1986. I don't know if SU had any players drafted in 84 or 85. I know the Pearl went in 86.

You are correct. Sean Kerins was drafted a couple years before but was not a first -rounber.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom