The Jim Boeheim Show- before Notre Dame | Syracusefan.com

The Jim Boeheim Show- before Notre Dame

SWC75

Bored Historian
Jim Boeheim’s radio show is on Thursdays from 7-8 or 9PM on ESPN Radio in Syracuse, which is AM1200 or FM 97.7 on the dial. The show originates from Shaughnessy’s at the Marriott in Downtown Syracuse. The first hour, hosted by Matt Park, the Voice of the Orange, is on their general network. The second hour, which begins with the conference season, is hosted by Gomez, a local radio personality.

You can call into the show locally at 315-424-8599 or nationally at 1-888-746-2873. For Gomez’s portion, use 315-424-8599. Or you can submit questions from this page:
Syracuse University Athletics
Or on Twitter at mattpark1 or “askBoeheim”.

The show can be heard in Syracuse on FM 99.5. It’s sometime simulcast on AM 1200 or FM 97.7. You can also get it on: Listen to The Jim Bohannon Show on WGVA on TuneIn

I will be posting my rough transcript the night of the broadcast focusing on my questions, the team and their last and next games and then a second post the next day on other things that were discussed.

MY QUESTIONS/COMMENTS

“Coach, your team has played very well on defense this year and your zone has a national reputation. One poster on our board knows an NBA scout: “He always says about (Syra)Cuse players that the D(efense) is almost impossible to evaluate due to our exclusive use of the zone. Evaluating the D is especially important for the guys who are more borderline in terms of either the first round or their being drafted at all.” How much of your job is preparing players for pro ball and does our zone put players at a disadvantage?”

COACH BOEHEIM
(I have, in some instances, put together statements from different parts of the broadcast on the same subject. In recent years they have started out doing one hour shows and then shifted to two hour shows in January. When they do two hour shows. I will do two posts: one on the night of the broadcast on the issues directly relating to the team on the other the next days on other things that were talked about.)

(This was the first two hour show this season. The second hour is hosted by Gomez, a local radio personality. There are three musical interludes, one every 20 minutes, so if you tune in at 8PM it’s going to sound as if the Boeheim show has ended but stick with it. As last year, the night of the show I will post comments relating directly to the SU basketball team. I’ll post “Part 2” on Friday, which will contain other topics that were discussed. )

Liam called to ask for Jim’s take on the Wake forest and Notre Dame games. “We didn’t play as well as we needed to. We made some good plays but not enough. We had three defensive breakdowns in the second half, (the treys form the corner), but we were still in there at the end. We didn’t rebound or defend as well as we could have. Wake Forest has some really good players. They were up by 4 at UNC and kicked it away.” Matt Park noted that Wake had played 6 lose games and wondered what a team learns from close games. “You learn from every game. Young players learn from mistakes. There’s a learning process as a team. We could still get better.”

Notre Dame beat NC State by 30 points despite playing without Bonzie Colson and losing their point guard Matt Farrell in the first half. “They didn’t struggle.” Jim seemed almost pleased. “We earned how good they are. Everybody picked it up. They moved the ball well. They had more good shooters in the game without Colson, although they will miss him in the long hall. It was a really shocking result: They went up 14 when Farrell went down….the thing you have to understand is that Bonzie was probably going to be the league MVP – and they played better without him. That’s tough to prepare for. “

Mike Brey just won his 394th game at Notre Dame to pass Digger Phelps. “Digger is at every game and also attends practice, although I’m not sure Mike likes that. Digger loves living in South bend. They have almost all 4 years players. They get good ones and have a really good class coming in next year. They won at Maui and have been ranked most of the season.“ Meanwhile Virginia just crushed Virginia Tech in Blacksburg, 78-52. “Virginia leads the country in defense and they are usually in the top 5. Tony Bennett is the best defensive coach in the country.” Better than Jim Boeheim?

And: “Boston College beat North Carolina, lost to Virginia by 1 and played Clemson close. They are only playing 6 guys and doing a great job.” Tyus Battle had played 8 straight 40 minutes games before he got in foul trouble against Wake Forest. Danny manning has never had a player play 40 minutes in any game in his tenure. “He’s played some guys who probably shouldn’t have played. We scored 17 points in overtime at Georgetown and nobody said they were tired. But we lose a game and it’s because our players are tired. The top players in the league play 36-38 minutes. That’s only a couple of minutes difference. We used to play 20 minutes with no TV time-outs….North Carolina lost to Florida State. They were fortunate to beat Wake Forest at home. Georgia Tech had struggled. Then they beat Miami by 10. It’s a tough league.”

I called in my question- or half of it. I told him I’d read something on the internet. “Do you believe that stuff on the internet?” It turns out Jim did. He said he agreed with the NBA scout- they can’t assess the defensive prowess of SU players watching them play a zone. “It has nothing to do with whether they will be drafted. They play 100 games and can teach them whatever they need to know about man to man defense. They draft on offensive ability. Offense can’t be learned- shooting, passing skills. The NBA has no time to teach that. Jason hart, Michael Carter-Williams and Etan Thomas were very good defensive players…We work on the man-to-man every day. We still plays guys straight up in a game….it’s hard to teach defense in 1-2 years….The NBA needs good athletes and that’s what we have….the first guy in the draft will be Marvin Bagley and Duke is playing the worst defense in the country. That’s why they’re using the zone….There are 5-6 ways to defend the pick and roll but none of them are work that well.”

They talked about Tyler Cavanaugh, former J-D star, who worked out at the Melo Center during the summer. He made it to the NBA with the Atlanta Hawks and has been given a two year contract after having several games where he scored in double figures. “He played four years of college and got strong. These 1-2 year guys are not as strong….NBA coaches don’t care about potential. They want to know what you can do for them now.”

Bourama Sidibie is “feeling better, moving better. He practiced hard today. Hopefully, he’s good to go…He looks good, is moving and can help us. He didn’t want to redshirt. He might play 20 games in a row or struggle. We don’t know.”

On twitter “Desharko” asked what happened when Jim told the referees we were going to foul. Jim had decided to foul Doral Moore a 47.4% free throw shooter and told the ref of his intentions so he wouldn’t miss it. But Danny manning got him out of the game before they could do it. .

Thomas in Syracuse asked if Paschal Chukwu could “get a harder hold on the ball so they can’t rip it out of his hands. “Paschal doesn’t have enough body weight yet. He gave up at least 35 pounds to Moore. But he was a big factor last night. It’s his first full year of competition. We’re trying to get him enough playing time to improve. I wish we could have given him playing time last year. He’d be on a higher level.” Thomas also asked if Tyus should shoot closer to the basket. “We’d like him to do that. But he got two charging fouls driving to the basket.”

They are going to honor Dennis Duval at the game Saturday. “He could play then or now. He could run, jump and handle the ball. He was a two way guard. He was a great person off the court, entered law enforcement and became our chief of police.”

About collecting assists: “We’re trying to scrape out games. We do struggle scoring. We can pass it around all day but we have to drive. We can’t pass it in to a post-up player. We are still getting easy shots. We just missed them and had those three defensive breakdowns. We were tied on the road late against a good team.”

On Paschal Chukwu’s success at the line: he could always shoot. He started poorly. I’m very comfortable with him going to the line now.” Gomez asked about shooting free throws underhanded. Jim said that he began shooting under-handed until his sophomore year in high school. Then he switched and got better at it. “If you have two hands on the ball, you have twice the chance of something going wrong.” Arinze Onuaku’s brother who played for Louisville switched to underhanded and improved but stopped “because he was embarrassed by it.”

Harrison called and said that “with so many scrappy guys who like to run, we should press more”. JB: “it’s hard to press without depth. We have 7 healthy guys. They, (Wake Forest), were having trouble defending us in man-to- man so they went to zone. We still got good shots but they didn’t fall into the basket.”

It was now the second hour and the subject of depth prompted me to call back in and ask if JB might depart from his traditional policy of not using all available scholarships so we could absorb the defections and injuries and still have enough depth to do what we want. JB: “We only have eleven scholarships. We had to be careful with them. We finished our recruiting unsure of what Tyler Lydon was going to do. Then Thompson left at the end of the spring.“ I thought it was August? “There are no good players available at that time. We brought in a 5th year player but he didn’t like coming off the bench. A lot of good teams are playing 7 guys. 8 guys are enough. 9 is better. We’ll have 10-11 next year. I suggested that Jim had come up with a nice title for a TV show.

eight-is-enough-season-2.jpg

Maybe the coaches don't, but the front offices seem to.

That's true. Wonder how often front offices and coaches disagree on draft choices especially since most coaching positions are revolving doors with coaches being evaluated on immediate performances but front offices drafting with their eye on longterm potential. In March of last year only 5 NBA coaches had lasted 4 years. (Popovich, Spoelstra, Carlisle, Casey and Stotts).

2018 Mock Draft | NBADraft.net

TT was MIA all summer and not working out with the team. He officially left the team in late August.

Is he definately at Seton Hall right now? Someone posted on twitter that he wasn't on their bench for the last game.

Maybe the coaches don't, but the front offices seem to.
It's true in multiple sports. (ETA: coach/front offices have differing philosophies on players) Chip Kelly had to have say in player personnel. Joe Girardi just got fired because he and Cashman had many disagreements about which players to get and how to play them.

Coaches are there to win the game that night. GMs are there to build a successful franchise (and make sure they turn a profit).

Coaches are there to win the game that night. GMs are there to build a successful franchise (and make sure they turn a profit).

Yet judge the coaches and base incentives etc on more immediate results.

It's true in multiple sports. (ETA: coach/front offices have differing philosophies on players) Chip Kelly had to have say in player personnel. Joe Girardi just got fired because he and Cashman had many disagreements about which players to get and how to play them.

Ask Cleveland Browns how that's working.

PART 2

Is this another year where there are no great teams in college basketball? “There are no great teams but there are some really good teams that could be great: Duke, Michigan State and Arizona. There are a lot of really good teams….Michigan State is clearly the best team in the country but they will get some challenges. ”

There’s another proposal to switch to a quarters system rather than just two halves. Jim’s opposed, (it’s a change!) “It’s a little more stoppage of time.” At least the players wouldn’t get tired.

Trey Young is “the most fun player to watch in the country. Nobody is Steph Curry but in college he’s Steph Curry. He’s definitely the Player of the year, hands down.” But they are about to play #6 West Virginia who has a fine guard of their own in Jevon Carter who, at 6-2 205 is a physically stronger player than the 6-2 180 Young and has a reputation for being an excellent defender. “Trae is not yet as strong as he needs to be. “ Get out the popcorn.

On the college football playoff: “They will never expand the playoff – not for a while anyway. They are making too much money. The next move might be to 8 to cover the 2-3 teams that should be in there. They complain about the number of games. Everybody used to play 9 games, then 10, then 11 and now 12. Most teams wind up playing 13 games with the bowls. The playoff is mainly during Christmas break. The kids aren’t in school. They will eventually go to 8 but not for a while. “

They talked about the bowl games, especially the Rose Bowl. “It was a great game. I remember Ron Vanderkelen back in the day. That was a game like this.” He’s referring to the great game of my youth, one that was so amazing that even the women who had gathered for a family reunion during the holidays gathered with the men around the TV set to see how the 1/1/63 Rose Bowl came out.

“I thought Clemson was going to win it all. Alabama is good in Big Game situations. They got guys healthy. They had not been playing great at the end of the year. ”

About Central Florida celebrating their “national championship” as the only undefeated team after beating Auburn who beat two of the teams in the 4 team tournament: “I didn’t know you could declare yourself national champion. You can’t do that. It will be ridiculed. They should be happy that they were undefeated and leave it at that. It’s hard to compete with the big schools. It’s hard to go with just a bowl game. Auburn was disappointed at not making the playoff and Central Florida had something to prove. There’s no guarantee they’d be included even with expansion. “ Gomez pointed out that the coaching staff got bonuses for winning the national championship. JB: “And they aren’t even there anymore.”

The LSU Defensive Coordinator got a 4 year $10 million extension and is not being paid more than head Coach Ed Orgeron. “Once they go to that level, Alabama will do the same. Once you pay one guy in a league they all will do it.” I wonder if the DC with a four eyar contract would outlast the ehad coach if he got fired.

Jim likes pro football. “It’s fun to watch… It was great to see the Bills make the playoffs. They are going up against Doug Marrone. If it was the NCAA tournament they’d think it was rigged….McCoy has to be healthy… Jacksonville hasn’t played well in the last few weeks.” Leonard Fournette brought Rolexes for his offensive linemen. “Running backs and quarterbacks often do that, as they should.“

The Patriots practiced to day in the middle of a blizzard. Bill Belichick said there would be no excuses for showing up late. “That’s what ben Schwartzwalder did. It would be 20 degrees and snowing and he’d have his team out there. The basketball team would be practicing indoors. We dressed in the same locker room and I told the players that it was 72 degrees where we practiced and ben would get mad.”

Gomez wondered if there ever “territorial rights” in the pro leagues. Jims aid there was at one time in the NBA. Somebody did an article speculating what NBA teams would be like if all their players had to come from high schools within a certain radius.
[OC] What if every NBA player played for their local team? • r/nba
Jim said it was “interesting to think about”. Then they moved on.

There are rumors of LeBron going to the 76ers. “he could make any spot work. But they have ben Simmons, who does some of the same things. Still, it doesn’t matter where LeBron goes- he’ll fit in.

The Celtics beat the Cavaliers. Have they now passed them as the best team in the Eastern Conference? “Isaiah Thomas didn’t play. We’ll have to see how he fits in. The Celtics had too many guys for LeBron to beat them. But it will still take 1-2 years for them to catch the Warriors.”

Danny Schayes played in the NBA for 18 years. This is Carmelo’s 15th year. Will the fact that started earlier help him extend his career? “It’s hard to play a lot of years when you are playing all the time. Oklahoma City hasn’t quite figured it out yet. It more of a struggle than people thought. They could still have a solid playoff drive. “

Kristaps Porzingis “is tired. He’s thin and bene banged around a lot. It’s taken a lot out of him. He started out scoring 30 points a game. Now it’s more like 18.”

Jim’s daughter Jamie has decided to play college basketball for the University of Rochester. Ironically, back in 1976 Jim was interviewing for the Rochester men’s job when he got the Syracuse job. “it’s a great school with a great program and great coaching with a proven track record. He’s happy she’s going there.”

Jim does Pilates twice a week. “It helps your core.” Maybe Frank Howard could have used it last year. Gomez asked the coach if there was any cardio involved. Jim said “:No” and Gomez said “Good.” Jim reminded he needed cardio, too. Gomez was not enthusiastic.

Rich Cho, GM of the Charlotte Hornets is a food critic on the side who sends out photos of what he eats at restaurants with his reviews on “BigTimeBites.com “.
Bigtime Bites - Bigtime Bites
Would Jim be interested in doing something like that in his retirement? “I don’t think so. it’s too much work. I like to just enjoy the meal.”

Last edited:
Jim’s daughter Elizabeth has decided to play college basketball for the University of Rochester. Ironically, back in 1976 Jim was interviewing for the Rochester men’s job when he got the Syracuse job. “it’s a great school with a great program and great coaching with a proven track record. He’s happy she’s going there.”

[/QUOTE]

Great report SWC but Jim and Julie’s daughter heading to U of R is Jamie. Elizabeth is his oldest daughter who is in her 30’s.

Is he definately at Seton Hall right now? Someone posted on twitter that he wasn't on their bench for the last game.

I couldn’t care less and so I haven’t followed what’s going on with him. Out of sight, out of mind.

Jim Boeheim’s radio show is on Thursdays from 7-8 or 9PM on ESPN Radio in Syracuse, which is AM1200 or FM 97.7 on the dial. The show originates from Shaughnessy’s at the Marriott in Downtown Syracuse. The first hour, hosted by Matt Park, the Voice of the Orange, is on their general network. The second hour, which begins with the conference season, is hosted by Gomez, a local radio personality.

You can call into the show locally at 315-424-8599 or nationally at 1-888-746-2873. For Gomez’s portion, use 315-424-8599. Or you can submit questions from this page:
Syracuse University Athletics
Or on Twitter at mattpark1 or “askBoeheim”.

The show can be heard in Syracuse on FM 99.5. It’s sometime simulcast on AM 1200 or FM 97.7. You can also get it on: Listen to The Jim Bohannon Show on WGVA on TuneIn

I will be posting my rough transcript the night of the broadcast focusing on my questions, the team and their last and next games and then a second post the next day on other things that were discussed.

MY QUESTIONS/COMMENTS

“Coach, your team has played very well on defense this year and your zone has a national reputation. One poster on our board knows an NBA scout: “He always says about (Syra)Cuse players that the D(efense) is almost impossible to evaluate due to our exclusive use of the zone. Evaluating the D is especially important for the guys who are more borderline in terms of either the first round or their being drafted at all.” How much of your job is preparing players for pro ball and does our zone put players at a disadvantage?”

COACH BOEHEIM
(I have, in some instances, put together statements from different parts of the broadcast on the same subject. In recent years they have started out doing one hour shows and then shifted to two hour shows in January. When they do two hour shows. I will do two posts: one on the night of the broadcast on the issues directly relating to the team on the other the next days on other things that were talked about.)

(This was the first two hour show this season. The second hour is hosted by Gomez, a local radio personality. There are three musical interludes, one every 20 minutes, so if you tune in at 8PM it’s going to sound as if the Boeheim show has ended but stick with it. As last year, the night of the show I will post comments relating directly to the SU basketball team. I’ll post “Part 2” on Friday, which will contain other topics that were discussed. )

Liam called to ask for Jim’s take on the Wake forest and Notre Dame games. “We didn’t play as well as we needed to. We made some good plays but not enough. We had three defensive breakdowns in the second half, (the treys form the corner), but we were still in there at the end. We didn’t rebound or defend as well as we could have. Wake Forest has some really good players. They were up by 4 at UNC and kicked it away.” Matt Park noted that Wake had played 6 lose games and wondered what a team learns from close games. “You learn from every game. Young players learn from mistakes. There’s a learning process as a team. We could still get better.”

Notre Dame beat NC State by 30 points despite playing without Bonzie Colson and losing their point guard Matt Farrell in the first half. “They didn’t struggle.” Jim seemed almost pleased. “We earned how good they are. Everybody picked it up. They moved the ball well. They had more good shooters in the game without Colson, although they will miss him in the long hall. It was a really shocking result: They went up 14 when Farrell went down….the thing you have to understand is that Bonzie was probably going to be the league MVP – and they played better without him. That’s tough to prepare for. “

Mike Brey just won his 394th game at Notre Dame to pass Digger Phelps. “Digger is at every game and also attends practice, although I’m not sure Mike likes that. Digger loves living in South bend. They have almost all 4 years players. They get good ones and have a really good class coming in next year. They won at Maui and have been ranked most of the season.“ Meanwhile Virginia just crushed Virginia Tech in Blacksburg, 78-52. “Virginia leads the country in defense and they are usually in the top 5. Tony Bennett is the best defensive coach in the country.” Better than Jim Boeheim?

And: “Boston College beat North Carolina, lost to Virginia by 1 and played Clemson close. They are only playing 6 guys and doing a great job.” Tyus Battle had played 8 straight 40 minutes games before he got in foul trouble against Wake Forest. Danny manning has never had a player play 40 minutes in any game in his tenure. “He’s played some guys who probably shouldn’t have played. We scored 17 points in overtime at Georgetown and nobody said they were tired. But we lose a game and it’s because our players are tired. The top players in the league play 36-38 minutes. That’s only a couple of minutes difference. We used to play 20 minutes with no TV time-outs….North Carolina lost to Florida State. They were fortunate to beat Wake Forest at home. Georgia Tech had struggled. Then they beat Miami by 10. It’s a tough league.”

I called in my question- or half of it. I told him I’d read something on the internet. “Do you believe that stuff on the internet?” It turns out Jim did. He said he agreed with the NBA scout- they can’t assess the defensive prowess of SU players watching them play a zone. “It has nothing to do with whether they will be drafted. They play 100 games and can teach them whatever they need to know about man to man defense. They draft on offensive ability. Offense can’t be learned- shooting, passing skills. The NBA has no time to teach that. Jason hart, Michael Carter-Williams and Etan Thomas were very good defensive players…We work on the man-to-man every day. We still plays guys straight up in a game….it’s hard to teach defense in 1-2 years….The NBA needs good athletes and that’s what we have….the first guy in the draft will be Marvin Bagley and Duke is playing the worst defense in the country. That’s why they’re using the zone….There are 5-6 ways to defend the pick and roll but none of them are work that well.”

They talked about Tyler Cavanaugh, former J-D star, who worked out at the Melo Center during the summer. He made it to the NBA with the Atlanta Hawks and has been given a two year contract after having several games where he scored in double figures. “He played four years of college and got strong. These 1-2 year guys are not as strong….NBA coaches don’t care about potential. They want to know what you can do for them now.”

Bourama Sidibie is “feeling better, moving better. He practiced hard today. Hopefully, he’s good to go…He looks good, is moving and can help us. He didn’t want to redshirt. He might play 20 games in a row or struggle. We don’t know.”

On twitter “Desharko” asked what happened when Jim told the referees we were going to foul. Jim had decided to foul Doral Moore a 47.4% free throw shooter and told the ref of his intentions so he wouldn’t miss it. But Danny manning got him out of the game before they could do it. .

Thomas in Syracuse asked if Paschal Chukwu could “get a harder hold on the ball so they can’t rip it out of his hands. “Paschal doesn’t have enough body weight yet. He gave up at least 35 pounds to Moore. But he was a big factor last night. It’s his first full year of competition. We’re trying to get him enough playing time to improve. I wish we could have given him playing time last year. He’d be on a higher level.” Thomas also asked if Tyus should shoot closer to the basket. “We’d like him to do that. But he got two charging fouls driving to the basket.”

They are going to honor Dennis Duval at the game Saturday. “He could play then or now. He could run, jump and handle the ball. He was a two way guard. He was a great person off the court, entered law enforcement and became our chief of police.”

About collecting assists: “We’re trying to scrape out games. We do struggle scoring. We can pass it around all day but we have to drive. We can’t pass it in to a post-up player. We are still getting easy shots. We just missed them and had those three defensive breakdowns. We were tied on the road late against a good team.”

On Paschal Chukwu’s success at the line: he could always shoot. He started poorly. I’m very comfortable with him going to the line now.” Gomez asked about shooting free throws underhanded. Jim said that he began shooting under-handed until his sophomore year in high school. Then he switched and got better at it. “If you have two hands on the ball, you have twice the chance of something going wrong.” Arinze Onuaku’s brother who played for Louisville switched to underhanded and improved but stopped “because he was embarrassed by it.”

Harrison called and said that “with so many scrappy guys who like to run, we should press more”. JB: “it’s hard to press without depth. We have 7 healthy guys. They, (Wake Forest), were having trouble defending us in man-to- man so they went to zone. We still got good shots but they didn’t fall into the basket.”

It was now the second hour and the subject of depth prompted me to call back in and ask if JB might depart from his traditional policy of not using all available scholarships so we could absorb the defections and injuries and still have enough depth to do what we want. JB: “We only have eleven scholarships. We had to be careful with them. We finished our recruiting unsure of what Tyler Lydon was going to do. Then Thompson left at the end of the spring.“ I thought it was August? “There are no good players available at that time. We brought in a 5th year player but he didn’t like coming off the bench. A lot of good teams are playing 7 guys. 8 guys are enough. 9 is better. We’ll have 10-11 next year. I suggested that Jim had come up with a nice title for a TV show.

eight-is-enough-season-2.jpg
It is kind of crazy to think. If we had Lydon at PF, this team would be so much better. And when Lydon was a freshman, I think we all thought he’d be here for 3 years at least, even with his obvious potential. Kid should’ve stayed in school one more year.

Sidibe didn’t want to red shirt so he is playing? If he is at all healed, that is nothing but good news for us!

Jim’s daughter Elizabeth has decided to play college basketball for the University of Rochester. Ironically, back in 1976 Jim was interviewing for the Rochester men’s job when he got the Syracuse job. “it’s a great school with a great program and great coaching with a proven track record. He’s happy she’s going there.”

Great report SWC but Jim and Julie’s daughter heading to U of R is Jamie. Elizabeth is his oldest daughter who is in her 30’s.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. In my notes all i had was that it was his daughter so I googled Jim Boeheim's daughter and it said Elizabeth.

Sidibe didn’t want to red shirt so he is playing? If he is at all healed, that is nothing but good news for us!

He’s not close to 100%.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom