The Jim Boeheim Show - before Pittsburgh I | Syracusefan.com

The Jim Boeheim Show - before Pittsburgh I

SWC75

Bored Historian
Jim Boeheim’s radio show is on Thursdays from 7-8 or 9PM on ESPN Radio in Syracuse, which is AM1200 or FM 97.7 on the dial. The show originates from Carrabba's Italian Grill in Fayetteville. The first hour, hosted by Matt Park, the Voice of the Orange, is on their general network. The second hour, which begins with the conference season, is hosted by Gomez, a local radio personality.

This year’s schedule: Tuesday, November 12, 7:00 pm, Tuesday, November 19, 7:00 pm, Thursday, December 5, 7:00 pm, Thursday, December 12, 7:00 pm, Thursday, December 19, 7:00 pm, Thursday, December 26, 7:00 pm, Thursday, January 2, 7:00 pm, Thursday, January 9, 7:00 pm, Thursday, January 16, 7:00 pm, Thursday, January 23, 7:00 pm, Thursday, January 30, 7:00 pm, Thursday, February 6, 7:00 pm, Monday, February 13, 7:00 pm, Thursday, February 20, 7:00 pm, Thursday, February 27, 7:00 pm,
Thursday, March 5, 7:00 pm.

You can call into the show locally at 315-424-8599 or nationally at 1-888-746-2873. For Gomez’s portion, use 315-424-8599. Or you can submit questions from this page:
Submit a Question! - Syracuse University Athletics
Or on Twitter at mattpark1 or “askBoeheim”.

The show can be heard in Syracuse on FM 99.5. It’s sometime simulcast on AM 1200 or FM 97.7. You can also get it on: TuneIn | Free Internet Radio | NFL, Sports, Podcasts, Music & News

I will be posting my rough transcript the night of the broadcast focusing on my questions, the team and their last and next games and then a second post the next day on other things that were discussed.

MY QUESTIONS/COMMENTS

First Hour:

“Coach, in the wins over Boston College and Virginia Tech, Howard Washington played 29 minutes, scored 4 points and had 4 assists. Yet his plus/minus was a total of +39 points. Does that mean that the plus/minus stat is over rated or do the conventional stats underrate Howard?”

Second Hour:

“Coach, against Notre Dame every started had at least 4 rebounds and we got 7 more from the bench. Everybody hit the boards and out-rebounded Notre Dame 41-34. I’ve noticed in other games that sometimes when our players shoot outside shots, they tend to drift back down court after releasing the shot. Would you prefer the shooter to position himself for a possible rebound or would you rather they go down court to prevent a fast break?”

COACH BOEHEIM

(I have, in some instances, put together statements from different parts of the broadcast on the same subject. The quotes may not be verbatim –they are from my scribbled notes. I have not knowingly changed the meaning. In recent years they have started out doing one hour shows and then shifted to two hour shows in January. When they do two hour shows. I might do two posts: one on the night of the broadcast on the issues directly relating to the team on the other the next days on other things that were talked about.)

JB on ND: “Another one of those games. They made some circus shots: a banked shot form the corner, a half-court shot. We made our free throws. It’s good to get some wins after the slow start.”

Matt Park said that it was an exciting game and the fans are enjoying these types of games. JB: “People like it. It’s entertaining. But it’s not the best basketball.” (Coaches!) “Our defense isn’t where it needs to be. It’s marginally better. Our rebounding is better but we aren’t playing the monster teams. Mooney is great but Durham isn’t really a rebounder and the rest of their team is sub-par. We’re still learning the rotations. Quincy didn’t play last year and just shot it in AAU ball. It’s really the first full year for Bourama. Howard didn’t play last year. Marek played behind Oshae. Elijah wasn’t the main option. The rest are freshmen….In some ways we played better at home in the games against Notre Dame and Virginia Tech when we lost. The defense improved vs. Virginia but they can’t shoot. Scoring 20 points in 5 minutes against them is unheard of.” (I’ll be we did that in 2016.) “We normally can’t score 20 points in 10 minutes against them.”

I called in my first question about +/- and Howard Washington. JB: “I don’t think it means anything. Howard was fine but he had 1 assist while Buddy was scoring 18 points in a row. You have to look at sequences to understand what happened… Howard is not a stat guy. He’s a good, smart player. He shoots 20% for three and 30% from the field, he has a 2-1 assist to turnover ratio which is good but not much different than our other guards. All of our guards are average on defense... Brycen is a better shooter. In three minutes Brycen made two good defensive plays, grabbed two rebounds and made a three pointer. He affected the game in a positive way. He’s bene shooting well in practice. It’s hard to score if you haven’t made it in a game. He calmed down. The injury set him back.” (Actually it seems to have improved him.) “He played point guard in high school and he’s still figuring out when to go…. We’re not going to stop a lot of people. We have to score. All of our perimeter players have to score. Joe’s numbers are great. People are talking about taking him out. If a coach did that, they should be wondering “What’s he doing?...Howard didn’t practice today. He’s a maybe for Saturday.”

Matt described the history of the +/- stat. he said it began as a hockey stat. then the NBA started keeping track of it. This year the colleges has changed their software and have several new stats in the box score, including the number of fouls drawn and the number of shots blocked. He said that it becomes a more meaningful stat if you keep track of it over a long period of time. (That’s true of most stats.) The all-time leaders in hockey are guys like Wayne Gretzky, Bobby Orr, Ray Bourque and Bobby Clarke. (Actually the all-time leader is Larry Robinson:
NHL All-Time Plus-Minus Leaders ) Matt thinks that if we had a stat like that before this year “Tyus Battle might be the all-time leader” In the Notre Dame game, Joe Girard was +2 and Brycen Goodine +3. Brycen played 4 minutes, Joe 40. Both joe and Elijah Hughes were +2 because they played the whole game that’s what we won by. Quincy Guerrier played 18 minutes and was +12. Was he better than Hughes?

Ryan called in to ask about the situation at the very end of the game, where Joe handed TJ Gibbs the ball. JB: “Who knows what Gibbs said to him? I wish Joe hadn’t given him the ball but at least he didn’t throw it. Gibbs chased after him. I thought that was more egregious. Joe should have just put the ball down and walked away.“

On Bourama Sidibie’s new found confidence: “It’s simple. He made quick moves around the basket. I told him not to over-think it. He’s been capable all season. it was the difference in this game. We wouldn’t have won with his usual 4 points. Notre Dame can score. We can score. They can get the ball into the post. They can score the three. Their bench played a lot better.”

Gomez said that everybody in town is in a good mood now that we are winning. JB, (laughing): “Everybody except me. We’re doing some things better. There’s not a lot of difference in the Notre Dame and Virginia Tech wins and losses. I’m disappointed that we can’t get more stops on defense. It’s good offensive basketball but you need some defense in there. We’ve had to make a lot of great offensive plays to win.”

Joe Girard is doing less than he’s had to do in his basketball life. In high school he was a point guard. He brought the ball up. He was triple-teamed. Gerry was the same. Life is easier here.”

Gomez asked him to expound on the subject of assists. JB: “We’re running ISOs because they are up on Buddy and Jo. Nobody can guard Elijah over 30 feet. Buddy can get pull-ups or drive to the basket. It’s not how you get the shot that counts- it’s the shot itself.”

Gomez also went back to the plus/minus issue. JB: “One guy for Notre Dame was +6 because he only played in the last minute.” Gomez came up with another stat from KenPom: We are 14th in the country in keeping guys in the game with two fouls. JB: “I always have. We can protect them with the zone. sometimes the centers can get in foul trouble. Buddy got those three fouls in the first half and didn’t get any the rest of the game.”

On Quincy Guerrier’s two free throws: “I wasn’t confident that he’s make them but he did. I didn’t think we’d need them. But we did, after they made those long threes.”

I called in my second question about what he wants shoots to do after they release their shots. “When we aren’t playing a team that runs a lot I want them to take a step forward. We don’t do that as much as I’d like. Last night there were a lot of long rebounds which bounced out to the guards. We still had trouble around the basket due to Mooney. Normally the guards are good for 2-3 rebounds a game.” Gomez said that derrick Coleman told him that you have to “go for rebounds like they were your last meal.” JB: “Go after everyone. If you go after 10 of them you might get just two. If you go after 20 of them you might get 6 or 8”.

On his comments about Mooney and Elijah not getting proper recognition: “The more we, (and Notre Dame), win, the more recognition they will get. Mooney has 12 double-doubles. He’s a good shooter and passer.” Gomez noted that Denis Rodman used to look at films and follow the flight of the ball to assist him in his rebounding. JB: “He was thinking about rebounding- and nothing else- coming down-court.”

Pat called in to praise Hughes, saying that he had adjusted to his new role on the team and was a top ten player in the country. JB repeated that winning was needed for recognition. “In the old Big East, There were teams with tremendous players who didn’t enough to get them recognition. We won and our players were all-league.” Pat tried to compare him to Quincy Guerrier. JB: “Quincy’s a high school player. Elijah played a year in college, then came here. He practiced with us for a year. He didn’t score more last year because he was the 3rd or 4th option. His numbers are better than most but we need to win to get him recognition.”

“The turn-around has been due to better offense. The defense is slightly better – not great. That’s where we have to improve. We are doing the little things we have to do to win- get a big rebound, not make a big turnover, make our free throws, etc.”

Gomez asked about the confrontation between Joe Girard and TJ Gibbs. JB: “I don’t like it. We try to tone it down. Confrontations like the one between Kansas and Kansas State used to happen all the time in the old Big East. What stopped it was that the league started suspending players for it. Then it stopped.” He did recall a game against Cornell where a 6-4180 Cornell player wanted to go at it with derrick Coleman. “You’re supposed to be smart if you’re going to Cornell.” (He should know.) “Players are more friendly overall these days. They play together in the AAU and the Olympics. They move around more.“

On our recruiting: “I’m, happy with the guys we’ve got but we are still working on it.”

Tom called in to laud Jim: “You never gave up on your guys.” JB: “You never give up. You’ve got to keep fighting. There’s always bad stretches in life… We had a hard non-conference schedule. We’ll keep battling and fight our way back… We are getting better.” “Big Bill” called in to say that he was a second generation Boeheim fan and professed his love for the coach. “You keep going, coach!” JB: “People are very nice. Critics never come up to you. There will always be negative people. You need to stay away from them.

PART 2

Murray State and Belmont were on TV- two good mid-major programs. (Murray State won 85-75). JB: Two good programs with good coaches. At that level the players lack size but they have guys who can play. These days there are hundreds of good AAU teams out there, especially through the Nike Elite Youth Basketball league (EYBL), that there are tremendous numbers of good players and coaches.” Matt also mentioned the large numbers of transfers these days. “You can’t find a roster of all home-grown players anymore.” JB: “it adds to the competitiveness.”

Pitt just beat Boston College 74-72. “They, (BC) got a couple of guys healthy again. Pitt beat both Florida State, (in their opener), and North Carolina, (twice). UNC had a chance to win vs. Virginia Tech. Their big guys had good games. Their problem is with the guards. These teams are good. Georgia Tech didn’t have their point guard when we played them and BC had 2 guys out. Every game in the league last night was decided by 4 points or less. We’ve still got three teams in the top 10, just like last year and the rest of the league is better. Pitt, Notre Dame, Wake, NC State and Georgia Tech are all better….NC State is a good young team, playing well. Clemson just beat both Duke and UNC. “

Zion Williamson had a notable return to action in the NBA. “They let him open form 3 and he went 4 for 4. It takes them a while to know he can hit from out there. He’s hard to guard. He’s quick and small. The most obvious comparison is to Charles Barkley but he couldn’t move like this guy. Health is the only thing that wills top him. All that weight, (285 pounds on a 6-6 frame) moving that fast….He’s big all over and comes at you with all that weight.” (Ask Marek about that.) “He had 22 points and 7 rebounds in 20 minutes. That’s never been done before.” (Wilt Chamberlain says “High!”)

On the death of DeMatha High’s Morgan Wooten: “he ran practices more advanced than that of a college coach. Everything is timed out. Everyone has to be in their proper place. It was very regimented. He would have bene a great college coach. the only job he ever wanted was the Maryland job and it went to another great high school coach, Bob Wade. Morgan and Bob Hurley at St. Anthony’s are the only two high school coaches in the Hall of Fame, although I think mike Hopkin’s coach Gary McKnight probably should be there.”

They talked briefly about the women’s team, which has recruited two McDonald’s All-Americans for next season. They will need them, judging by the dismal result of last night’s game:
After another humbling loss, Syracuse women’s basketball faces tough decisions

“I’d’ like to know who didn’t vote for Derek Jeter to be in the Hall of Fame. He should never vote any more. He’ll never tell but the other 365 guys who voted for Derek could identify themselves and then we could figure out who the other guy was.” Gomez suggested that marina Rivera was unanimous because he was the greatest closer ever. JB: That shouldn’t matter…Likability should not be an issue… Was Jeter the greatest shortstop ever? They just don’t know what to do with the steroid guys. Pete Rose should be in but keep him out of baseball.”

He thinks Eli manning belongs in the Hall of Fame, despite his .500 career record, (117-117), because he beat the Patriots in the Super Bowl – twice. “He didn’t have a lot of great years but was pretty good.” The Basketball Hall of Fame is undergoing a renovation and some of the plaques are actually being sold. JB: “Mine’s safe. There wouldn’t be a big price for it. I don’t even know where it is – I haven’t been back since I was inducted.”

The raiders are now officially the Las Vegas Raiders. “They will get a basketball team soon, too. The hockey team has been a big success. That’s a great sports town and a good place to live. Ten miles out of town it’s cheap. There are good restaurants, (very important), and schools. The main strip can be crazy. Most people don’t go there to gamble. They just watch the shows. I was there for two days. I would want to be there any longer.” (But it’s a good place to live.)

He told stories about how Jerry Tarkanian “owned that town. The city gave him gold cars and let him park on the sidewalk. He never paid a bill. He had a gold card and 6-7 courtesy cars. If he needed a new washer or driver, it got delivered. Fantasyland.”

They had a conversation with their producer, Paulie, about his 8 hour drive back from South Bend, which was shared with Syracuse.com’s Mike Waters, who is actually writing an article about it or about Paulie, (I wasn’t sure). It was agreed that Waters deserved some kind of a medal for being in a car for 8 hours with Paulie, who is always being joshed on the show. He said “You don’t realize how boring your life is until someone starts asking question about it.” They talked about a fan named Bobby Gilmore, (?), who drove to every game, home and away all over the country for 35+ years. Apparently he didn’t like flying. (Did he drive to Hawaii?)

The coaches will be wearing special suits and sneakers on Saturday for “Coaches vs. Cancer.”

I wonder if Paulie is same Paulie who was the subject of Matt's infamous open mic mishap several years ago.

I wonder if Paulie is same Paulie who was the subject of Matt's infamous open mic mishap several years ago.

Probably. I don't recall the incident.

Probably. I don't recall the incident.
As I recall (it was a long time ago, so apologies if I don't have this entirely right) it was a night when they jacked the heat up in the dome to melt the snow on the roof. The radio broadcast came back from a break, but Matt was unaware and was complaining about how uncomfortable he was, particularly between the legs. Then he went into a low guttural voice, "Paulie . . . Paulie . . . Lick my sweaty balls. Paulie, lick my sweaty balls." And then dead air for what seemed like a long time. I don't remember if he addressed it when he came back on. A great moment in Syracuse broadcast history.

PART 2

Murray State and Belmont were on TV- two good mid-major programs. (Murray State won 85-75). JB: Two good programs with good coaches. At that level the players lack size but they have guys who can play. These days there are hundreds of good AAU teams out there, especially through the Nike Elite Youth Basketball league (EYBL), that there are tremendous numbers of good players and coaches.” Matt also mentioned the large numbers of transfers these days. “You can’t find a roster of all home-grown players anymore.” JB: “it adds to the competitiveness.”

Pitt just beat Boston College 74-72. “They, (BC) got a couple of guys healthy again. Pitt beat both Florida State, (in their opener), and North Carolina, (twice). UNC had a chance to win vs. Virginia Tech. Their big guys had good games. Their problem is with the guards. These teams are good. Georgia Tech didn’t have their point guard when we played them and BC had 2 guys out. Every game in the league last night was decided by 4 points or less. We’ve still got three teams in the top 10, just like last year and the rest of the league is better. Pitt, Notre Dame, Wake, NC State and Georgia Tech are all better….NC State is a good young team, playing well. Clemson just beat both Duke and UNC. “

Zion Williamson had a notable return to action in the NBA. “They let him open form 3 and he went 4 for 4. It takes them a while to know he can hit from out there. He’s hard to guard. He’s quick and small. The most obvious comparison is to Charles Barkley but he couldn’t move like this guy. Health is the only thing that wills top him. All that weight, (285 pounds on a 6-6 frame) moving that fast….He’s big all over and comes at you with all that weight.” (Ask Marek about that.) “He had 22 points and 7 rebounds in 20 minutes. That’s never been done before.” (Wilt Chamberlain says “High!”)

On the death of DeMatha High’s Morgan Wooten: “he ran practices more advanced than that of a college coach. Everything is timed out. Everyone has to be in their proper place. It was very regimented. He would have bene a great college coach. the only job he ever wanted was the Maryland job and it went to another great high school coach, Bob Wade. Morgan and Bob Hurley at St. Anthony’s are the only two high school coaches in the Hall of Fame, although I think mike Hopkin’s coach Gary McKnight probably should be there.”

They talked briefly about the women’s team, which has recruited two McDonald’s All-Americans for next season. They will need them, judging by the dismal result of last night’s game:
After another humbling loss, Syracuse women’s basketball faces tough decisions

“I’d’ like to know who didn’t vote for Derek Jeter to be in the Hall of Fame. He should never vote any more. He’ll never tell but the other 365 guys who voted for Derek could identify themselves and then we could figure out who the other guy was.” Gomez suggested that marina Rivera was unanimous because he was the greatest closer ever. JB: That shouldn’t matter…Likability should not be an issue… Was Jeter the greatest shortstop ever? They just don’t know what to do with the steroid guys. Pete Rose should be in but keep him out of baseball.”

He thinks Eli manning belongs in the Hall of Fame, despite his .500 career record, (117-117), because he beat the Patriots in the Super Bowl – twice. “He didn’t have a lot of great years but was pretty good.” The Basketball Hall of Fame is undergoing a renovation and some of the plaques are actually being sold. JB: “Mine’s safe. There wouldn’t be a big price for it. I don’t even know where it is – I haven’t been back since I was inducted.”

The raiders are now officially the Las Vegas Raiders. “They will get a basketball team soon, too. The hockey team has been a big success. That’s a great sports town and a good place to live. Ten miles out of town it’s cheap. There are good restaurants, (very important), and schools. The main strip can be crazy. Most people don’t go there to gamble. They just watch the shows. I was there for two days. I would want to be there any longer.” (But it’s a good place to live.)

He told stories about how Jerry Tarkanian “owned that town. The city gave him gold cars and let him park on the sidewalk. He never paid a bill. He had a gold card and 6-7 courtesy cars. If he needed a new washer or driver, it got delivered. Fantasyland.”

They had a conversation with their producer, Paulie, about his 8 hour drive back from South Bend, which was shared with Syracuse.com’s Mike Waters, who is actually writing an article about it or about Paulie, (I wasn’t sure). It was agreed that Waters deserved some kind of a medal for being in a car for 8 hours with Paulie, who is always being joshed on the show. He said “You don’t realize how boring your life is until someone starts asking question about it.” They talked about a fan named Bobby Gilmore, (?), who drove to every game, home and away all over the country for 35+ years. Apparently he didn’t like flying. (Did he drive to Hawaii?)

The coaches will be wearing special suits and sneakers on Saturday for “Coaches vs. Cancer.”
Pretty sure the Jeter ignoramus has been outed as Colin Cowherd, who said he wasn’t clutch enough.

Has anyone heard JB talk about you gotta think of individual stats in sequence before? He made a similar comment in the post game interview after Norte Dame - or really he listed players and their scoring in sequence to answer a question. Ia that a typical answer from him? I don’t watch a lot of post game and without SWC I’d never know what was said in these pre game shows.

As I recall (it was a long time ago, so apologies if I don't have this entirely right) it was a night when they jacked the heat up in the dome to melt the snow on the roof. The radio broadcast came back from a break, but Matt was unaware and was complaining about how uncomfortable he was, particularly between the legs. Then he went into a low guttural voice, "Paulie . . . Paulie . . . Lick my sweaty balls. Paulie, lick my sweaty balls." And then dead air for what seemed like a long time. I don't remember if he addressed it when he came back on. A great moment in Syracuse broadcast history.
I don’t think Matt would ever say such a thing. The guy that said that was Mark Johnson, and it was probably one of the reasons he was gone after the basketball NC season. I think Mark is still at Colorado these days.

I don't recall that but I agree with Sutomcat that it sounds much more like something Mark Johnson, our bungee announcer, (zip - he's here - zip - he's gone), might have said. It still galls me that he was the 'Voice of the Orange' for our only national basketball championship and guys like Joel Mareiness, Doug Logan or Matt Park never got to call it.

Pretty sure the Jeter ignoramus has been outed as Colin Cowherd, who said he wasn’t clutch enough.

Alias Colin Cowturd, who says and does things that will get him attention. When i listened to the national shows I used to say that listening to Cowturd was like listening to a lecture form your father. Listening to Doug Gottlieb was like being indicted for being wrong and listening to Jim Rome was like being told by a loan shark that he doesn't care how hard it is to get the money.

Alias Colin Cowturd, who says and does things that will get him attention. When i listened to the national shows I used to say that listening to Cowturd was like listening to a lecture form your father. Listening to Doug Gottlieb was like being indicted for being wrong and listening to Jim Rome was like being told by a loan shark that he doesn't care how hard it is to get the money.
Jim Rome, “What if I call you Chris Everett?” Well, you get punched in the head dickweed, that’s what

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom