The Jim Boeheim Show- before South Carolina | Syracusefan.com

The Jim Boeheim Show- before South Carolina

SWC75

Bored Historian
Jim Boeheim’s radio show is on Thursdays from 7-8 or 9PM on ESPN Radio in Syracuse, which is AM1200 or FM 97.7 on the dial. The show originates from Delmonico’s Italian Steakhouse on Erie Boulevard in Syracuse. The first hour, hosted by Matt Park, the Voice of the Orange, is on their general network. The second hour, which begins with the conference season, is hosted by Gomez, a local radio personality.

You can call into the show locally at 315-424-8599 or nationally at 1-888-746-2873. For Gomez’s portion, use 315-424-8599. Or you can submit questions from this page:
Submit a Question!
Or on Twitter at mattpark1 or “askBoeheim”.

The show can be heard in Syracuse on FM 99.5. It’s sometime simulcast on AM 1200 or FM 97.7. You can also get it on: WGVA

I will be posting my rough transcript the night of the broadcast focusing on my questions, the team and their last and next games and then a second post the next day on other things that were discussed.

MY QUESTIONS/COMMENTS

“Coach, you’ve used four players at center- Coleman, Chukwu, Lydon and Thompson. Each has their own skillset and their own liabilities. How do you plan to use them this year? In what situations and against what opponents are we likely to see each player in the middle?”

COACH BOEHEIM
(I have, in some instances, put together statements from different parts of the broadcast on the same subject. In recent years they have started out doing one hour shows and then shifted to two hour shows in January. When they do two hour shows. I will do two posts: one on the night of the broadcast on the issues directly relating to the team on the other the next days on other things that were talked about.) –

Matt mentioned that early season tournaments, (such as the Maui Classic, which they were watching, along with the South Carolina Michigan game), creating some interesting match-ups. JB agreed. Matt wonder why we had done so well in these tournaments over the years. JB: “We’ve always bene a good tournament team. The zone helps. Teams don’t have time to prepare for it with games on successi8ve days. Also the small arenas help shooting and we’ve shot very well from three point range. High school shooters who are used to small arenas are often surprised to find it’s harder shooting in college in bigger arenas. “

A school can’t go to the same tournament twice in four years. We can’t go back to Maui for a couple years. We can’t go back to Atlantis for three years. Coach doesn’t want to go back to Alaska because that tournament had declined in participation. Coach would consider going to Florida, That would mean either the Tire Pros Invitational or the Advocare Invitational, both in Lake Buena Vista or the Gulf Coast Showcase in Esterro, the Emerald Coast Classic in Niceville- Niceville?) or the Paradise Jam (in St. Thomas in the Virgin Islands). “Maui is a long way. We always try to schedule something. Next year well do another event like the Barclays where we’ll get three home games and then play Kansas in Miami at a neutral court.” It’s interesting that he’s talking about tournaments we might go to after next year.

About the team: “At each practice and game there are so many things I see that we can do better. We have five new players. Last year we had four veteran players and a couple of freshmen. There are things you can’t see against Colgate or South Carolina State.”

I called in my question. JB: “We’ll use three guys in every game: Paschall, DaJuan and Tyler Lydon. Taurean may not play there against everybody.” I asked him to summarize their strengths and weaknesses: “DaJuan grabs rebounds- he had 4 in only 12 minutes against South Carolina State. That would be about 12 for a full game. Paschal is blocking shots at a high rate. He will get better. He has a huge upside. He ahs a chance to be a dominant shot blocker someday. Tyler has that outside shooting and can also block shots. Taureen can rebound and block shots. It’s good to have depth….You can’t really go lower than 8. Last year we were lucky to make it through the year with 7 guys.”

Matt suggested that paschal needs to “learn where to be”. Jim said “Shot blocking is easy. Be near the basket and protect the basket. He’s still learning that. Having a 7-2 guy is the reason we are pressing – that and depth so you don’t have to worry about fouls.”

Matt asked about Taurean’s ankle. JB: “He sprained it and it didn’t swell much, which is unuual. He was back the next day and moving well. He’s a really good offensive player, a good shooter. It’s unusual to have a big man coming out of high school be a tremendous offensive player. Also, Tyus Battle had a soft tissue injury to the bottom of his foot. He was practicing shooting today and should be full speed by Friday or Saturday.” Chukwu was wearing goggles “as a precaution, just for that game. The goggles were flying all over the place so he gave up on it.”

North Carolina was playing Wisconsin in the Maui finals. “North Carolina is really playing well. They have a really good front line with two veterans and a freshman. The guards are playing well.“ Looking around the conference, “Virginia has re-tooled and Duke and Louisville will be really good.”

Joshua called in to ask about recruiting. As usual, Jim couldn’t name names but offered “We will be recruiting all spring and into summer. That’s not unusual now. We start recruiting 50 fifty guys, then zero in on 10-15 and get 2-3 of them. We are in very good positon for the future. Malachi left and everybody thought it was over. We’ve now got more depth than ever – depth and a 7-2 center.

Roger wanted the coach to compare this year’s team to last year’s. Jim said that “we played the same in the tournament last year – we just played lesser teams. We’d been playing Virginia, North Carolina, duke and Florida State. We finally struggled against Virginia and North Carolina. Virginia just made some mistakes and we took advantage of it.”

Tim asked about physical training . JB: “Some players are physically ready to play and some need some training.” (Contrast that to what Coach Babers said about football) Jims aid that the players work out for 8 weeks in the summer- some of them stay here all summer. “Paschal worked on his upper body and is a lot stronger.” (Imagine what he was like beforehand.) “ His legs are never going to change. Tyler Lydon gained 20 pounds and Frank Howard is much stronger.”

They had a trivia question: What high school did Pearl Washington attend?

Gene in Jamesville asked what Coach thought about the graduate transfer rule. “I don’t think anybody really likes it. It’s taking from smaller programs who are losing their best player, which really hurts them. If they had to sit out a year like other transfers, they’d never do it. 100 guys went the grad transfer route last year.”

Matt suggested that Andrew White might “re-write the records book” at SU. (For three-pointers in a year). JB: “Plus Johnny, Frank and Tyus, who have shown much improvement. “

About South Carolina, who was throttling Michigan, (they won 61-46). JB: “They are great on defense. They have physical big guys. Michigan is great on offense. They are a very good movement team. They just aren’t making shots. “

About playing major opponents: “It’s good to have the start we had to get everybody accustomed to playing college basketball.”

Matt suggested that the team was improving in the turnover area because we had 8 in the first half vs. South Carolina State and only 2 in the second half. JB: “You can have some turnovers on drives to the basket and such. You can’t just throw the ball away in tough games. Just a couple of turnovers like that can cost you a game. “

Would playing at Barclays help the team prepare for the ACC tournament, in which we have yet to win a game? JB: “I’m not sure how much it helps.”

Jim said he expects “about 50 people” to be over for Thanksgiving dinner and that “it will take 5 days of work-outs to work it off.”

"The goggles were flying all over the place so he gave up on it.”

didn't syracuse have some special goggles made for preston shumpert ? where they at ??? maybe chukwu will start draining threes !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom