The Jim Boeheim Show- before St. Bonaventure | Syracusefan.com

The Jim Boeheim Show- before St. Bonaventure

SWC75

Bored Historian
Jim Boeheim’s radio show is on Thursdays from 7-8 or 9PM on ESPN Radio in Syracuse, which is AM1200 or FM 97.7 on the dial. The show originates from Shaughnessy’s at the Marriott in Downtown Syracuse. The first hour, hosted by Matt Park, the Voice of the Orange, is on their general network. The second hour, which begins with the conference season, is hosted by Gomez, a local radio personality.

You can call into the show locally at 315-424-8599 or nationally at 1-888-746-2873. For Gomez’s portion, use 315-424-8599. Or you can submit questions from this page:
Syracuse University Athletics
Or on Twitter at mattpark1 or “askBoeheim”.

The show can be heard in Syracuse on FM 99.5. It’s sometime simulcast on AM 1200 or FM 97.7. You can also get it on: Listen to The Jim Bohannon Show on WGVA on TuneIn

I will be posting my rough transcript the night of the broadcast focusing on my questions, the team and their last and next games and then a second post the next day on other things that were discussed.

MY QUESTIONS/COMMENTS

“Coach, 73 of our 86 points against Georgetown were scored by 3 players. Many teams have a “big three” offensively but the gap in scoring between our big three and the other players seems large. Of the remaining players- Chukwu, Sidibie, Moyer, Dolejai and Washington, who has the most potential to become more of a scorer as the season progresses?”

COACH BOEHEIM
(I have, in some instances, put together statements from different parts of the broadcast on the same subject. In recent years they have started out doing one hour shows and then shifted to two hour shows in January. When they do two hour shows. I will do two posts: one on the night of the broadcast on the issues directly relating to the team on the other the next days on other things that were talked about.)

(They haven’t begun the two hour shows yet. That will probably come after the first of the year.)

Coach said that St. Bonaventure “Is a very good team, an NCAA team a team that could not only make the tournament but to do well in it. They have senior veteran leadership. “

I don’t even try to beat Liam of Pompey or Marty in Ithaca any more. Liam wasted the coach’s ‘take’ on the Buffalo and St. Bonaventure games. JB: “They are good teams. There aren’t many bad teams any more. Look around. Anybody who’s done something has good players. Buffalo is a good team. St. Bonaventure is better. They went to Buffalo and won. They have great senior guards and really good personnel up front.”

Marty wondered if Oshae Brissett could maintain his scoring rate and become a third scoring threat in addition to Tyus Battle and Frank Howard. Jim has confidence he will. “He’s a good shooter and can get to the basket. He’s an excellent rebounder.”

I called in but before going to the question I’d sent in, I decided to ask the coach about the issue of whether Buffalo used “dirty tactics” on defense, especially with the under-cuts.” Jim said “I didn’t see that at all. It was physical. They fouled a lot. The refs didn’t call things early but then then started calling fouls. It was more that they had their hands on guys.”

I then asked my original question. “It doesn’t matter, (that we are getting most of our scoring from 3 guys). If the other team uses man for man, we will get the ball to our best players. When they didn’t guard Matt he scored 18 against Connecticut and had 12 before he got hurt against Buffalo. He’s not a shooter but can get to the basket and rebound. His leg was sore but he could have gone back in. Marek can shoot it when he gets the chance. He was great in the second half. He did some amazing things. He’s #1 on the team in things you don’t see in the stat sheet. Paschal could score a bit more. He had 8 blocked shots. That’s 16 potential points. He also altered or intimidated several shots. If he does that he doesn’t need to score much.”

Jim in Syracuse, (no it wasn't Jimmy- he's in Ithaca)n asked if Mid-majors had an advantage in that they are “senior-laden”. Jim said that was a factor but so was the fact that there are so many good players around. “it used to be that they could be good but they wouldn’t have any players who could play for Syracuse. Buffalo had players who could play for anybody. Jayvon Graves, Davonta Jordan, Jeremy Harris ….Perkins is good but he’s small. The big difference is that in the past, when we had a close game, it was because we didn’t play well. Now we can play well and still have a close game. We led for 33 minutes of this game. They were just as athletic as we are- actually more athletic. We were just bigger. But our size is deceptive. Being thin negates it a little bit. (But coach…Louie Orr, Hakim Warrick….)

They went over recent successes and near successes by mid-majors: Wofford is 2-0 in the ACC, having beaten Georgia Tech and North Carolina. Albany almost upset Louisville. Fort Wayne beat Indiana right after they’d beaten Notre Dame. About UNC: “That never happens there. They got within a 1 point and usually they take control then. The missed 6 straight threes. They aren’t as strong inside as they were. Florida State crushed Southern Mississippi by hitting 19- count ‘em- 19 treys. “They are very good- better than last year.

Trey Young of Oklahoma tied Sherman Douglas’ NCAA record assist game with 22 – and scored 26 points himself. “He was on our 18 and under team. I thought he was the best scoring point guard in the country. He only played 28 minutes. I actually think it would be easier to score 50 points and get 1-2 assists.”

Kobe Bryant had two numbers retired: 8 and 24. Jim said he stayed up to watch the 81 points. “It was crazy. He was throwing them up from everywhere.”

They laughed about Charley Hall, Julia Louis-Dreyfus’s son, scoring his first point for Northwestern and holding up a sign that said “!” to mimic the sign Wilt Chamberlain held up when he scored 110 points.
Northwestern's Charlie Hall poses like Wilt Chamberlain after his 1-point game

Jim likes the recent Hall of Fame nominees: Steve Nash, Ray Allen and Jason Kidd He thinks Chauncey Billups and Grant Hill will get in eventually and so could Ray Hamilton. He thinks Bob Huggins will get in Willie West was Stevie Thompson’s coach at Crenshaw. They’ve changed the rule form being retired for 5 years to 3. (Why have such a rule at all?) .

They had a trivia contest: Oshae Brissett was 16 for 16 from the foul line, same as Jonny Flynn in the 6OT game. Who holds the record. It turned out to be Kid Kohls from the early 70’s, who had a 17 for 17 game. Matt and Jim talked about what a shooter the Kid was. “He averaged 26 points a game and made at least four shots a game that would be three pointers now. He’d have averaged 30 points a game….With Jonny Flynn we needed ever shot he made.”

Geno Auriema has won his 1,000 game at Connecticut. “He’s get several hundred more.” So did Sylvia Hatchell of UNC.

Doug Marrone is in the playoffs. “They killed him in Buffalo. But now he’s listening to Tom Coughlin. .”

On Lavar Ball’s plan for his own league of high school kids who didn’t want to go to college: “It’s more than non-sense. Does he think he’s going to get 80 guys? He’s sending his sons to play in Lithuania. That’s not in a big city- it’s out in the country.”

On the football early signing day: “They are off to a good start. They got the guys they really need. It’s a really good class. Now they can focus on getting guys, not holding onto guys. There will be a few grad transfers, as always. ….In basketball we focus on 8-12 guys, then 6-7 in the late going. 4 guys is a good class. They have to recruit 3-4 times as many players but they have 3-4 times as many coaches to do it. Alabama has 20 guys who don’t even coach. All they do is look at film and do paperwork. It’s crazy overkill but if one school does it, other schools will. I just don’t see that as productive for college sports. The Presidents can’t control it by themselves. The president of Alabama isn’t going to stand up to Nick Saban. So they make rules. They’ve made rules about the number of coaches but not the size of the staff or the salaries.

Jim declared this to be “our best pre-conference game- better than Maryland because St. Bonaventure beat them”. He also said that Eastern Michigan “has their best team in a while, the best Rob Murphy has had. They have a really good big guy inside.” What are the keys to beating St. Bonaventure? “That’s the worst question every week. Against the good teams, you have do them all. “

That may be optimistic view. This board doesn't give up on a good argument very easily. ;)

Ha. Touche. Proof is in the tape/replay.

...I then asked my original question. “It doesn’t matter, (that we are getting most of our scoring from 3 guys). If the other team uses man for man, we will get the ball to our best players. When they didn’t guard Matt he scored 18 against Connecticut and had 12 before he got hurt against Buffalo. He’s not a shooter but can get to the basket and rebound. His leg was sore but he could have gone back in. Marek can shoot it when he gets the chance. He was great in the second half.....

Thought your question was good. We have a strong trio of scorers -- the heart of our offense, and they have carried the team so far. Still, the success of this team will depend a lot on Moyer & Dolezaj and how much better they can get this season on the offensive end. They have shown promise for first year guys, and it is great to see that JB does not seem to have either on a short hook.

Well that should put to bed the dirty/UB takes. A bunch of nonsense and much ado about nothing.

Ha...I don't disagree, but since you're one of my co-chairs on the "Boeheim Says Things" Committee, I'm not sure that's your best ammunition here.

Ha...I don't disagree, but since you're one of my co-chairs on the "Boeheim Says Things" Committee, I'm not sure that's your best ammunition here.

Ha. Well played. Touché.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom