The Jim Boeheim Show - before Texas Southern | Syracusefan.com

The Jim Boeheim Show - before Texas Southern

SWC75

Bored Historian
Jim Boeheim’s radio show is on Thursdays from 7-8 or 9PM on ESPN Radio in Syracuse, which is AM1200 or FM 97.7 on the dial. The show originates from Shaughnessy’s at the Marriott in Downtown Syracuse. The first hour, hosted by Matt Park, the Voice of the Orange, is on their general network. The second hour, which begins with the conference season, is hosted by Gomez, a local radio personality.

You can call into the show locally at 315-424-8599 or nationally at 1-888-746-2873. For Gomez’s portion, use 315-424-8599. Or you can submit questions from this page:
Syracuse University Athletics
Or on Twitter at mattpark1 or “askBoeheim”.

The show can be heard in Syracuse on FM 99.5. It’s sometime simulcast on AM 1200 or FM 97.7. You can also get it on: Listen to The Jim Bohannon Show on WGVA on TuneIn

I will be posting my rough transcript the night of the broadcast focusing on my questions, the team and their last and next games and then a second post the next day on other things that were discussed.

MY QUESTIONS/COMMENTS

“Coach, has anyone on the team emerged as an on-court leader for this team? Not a ‘holler guy’ but a guy who gets things claimed down and organized and gets us into our offense or defense when things have been going badly.“

COACH BOEHEIM
(I have, in some instances, put together statements from different parts of the broadcast on the same subject. In recent years they have started out doing one hour shows and then shifted to two hour shows in January. When they do two hour shows. I will do two posts: one on the night of the broadcast on the issues directly relating to the team on the other the next days on other things that were talked about.)

Matt opened by summarizing the Iowa game and talking about Texas Southern’s tour of the country to raise funds for the school. I don’t think JB was there yet.

He arrived in time to field the call from Liam, who congratulated him on his birthday. Liam said the Iona game was close all the way, that we had a young team that would take time to develop and invited Jim to comment on the game. JB: “Everybody thinks there’s parity and there is but they expect you to win games like this anyway. Iona is a good team. They win 20 games a year and have made the NCAA tournament two years in a row. Iona used 6 players, good players. They are smart and should make the tourney again. We made some good plays at the end of the game, got a couple of stops. Marek got some offensive rebounds. We beat then by 7 a few years ago when we had a really good team, a lot better than right now. (We beat then 83-77 on 12/18/10, a year we went 27-8, in between the 30-5 team of 2010 and the 34-3 team of 2012).”

I called in and said I was thankful Jim maintained his famous policy of not letting his children win. He laughed. Then I asked my question. JB: “Pour point guard has the job of getting us into our offense. Defense tends to start in the backcourt and that’s where we’ve got our experience. Guys don’t have to talk a lot. Actions on the court show who’s in charge. Leadership makes plays. Frank has been solid and will get better Bourama’s knee bothered him Oshae and Marek have bene great off the bench. Geno is behind due to his injury. Leadership comes as the season progresses.

Marty called in and said that it’s nice to have a seven footer. He wondered how the upperclassmen were helping the freshmen. JB: “There’s no question we need them to help the freshmen adjust. But they have to adjust quickly. They are working very hard and they play very hard, which should make them fan favorites.”

On Marek Dolezaj: “We knew Marek, (he first pronounced it with the accent on the second syllable and the switched it to the first), would be one of 9 guys and that we were going to play 9 guys. We knew he knew how to play. It’s unusual for European players but he’s not a good shooter but is quick. He’s skinny but we’ve had skinny players before- Hakim Warrick, Damone Brown. Louis Orr was 6-9 165 as a freshman. We knew Marek would have to play and thought he’d be good enough. He sees the ball and he’s very aggressive. He and Bourama are very good rebounders”

Later Danny in Fulton asked how Oshae Brissett and Matthew Moyer were coming along. JB: “Matthew gets rebounds and plays defense but we need more contributions on offense from him.” Oshae is a very good player. He’s only scratched the surface of what he can do. He’ll gain about 10-15 pounds over the next year. But right now he is where he needs to be.” (Why gain pounds if it doesn’t matter?)

On Paschal Chukwu: “Iona left him open a couple of times and then they realized they can’t do that. That opening things up for Tyus and Frank.”

Tyus “can stop and make a jump shot” and Frank can score- he can score more than that. We’ve had scoring point guards in the past”. Matt noted that “This time last year, Frank was hitting 50% of his shots, then he slumped.” JB: “When we faced better defensive teams, they could shut him down. But he’s being defended this year and he’s scoring.”

Frank in Watertown wanted to know what the coach thought about the situation involving the UCLA players and what kind of punishment he would use in that situation. JB: “We had a player take something. I was one item and he wound up paying triple the prince for it. But this was an international incident involving an expensive store. They could have faced real jail time. I would say a suspension is appropriate. It’s a tough lesson. It was supposed to be a goodwill trip.” Matt noted that they have bene “indefinitely suspended”, meaning they will decide later when the suspension would end. Jim likes that flexibility. “Rules are difficult for college kids to follow. I remember when a coach suspended a player for being late for a meeting, even though his car had broken down. He had left it on the highway to get to the meeting. The kid was late by just 5 minutes but he was suspended.” (In case you are wondering, Jim Boeheim never missed a game as a player: Jim Boeheim )

Jim doesn’t like suspensions: “They hurt the team – and the fans- more than the player. I prefer to make them do something they don’t want to do.” Matt suggested he meant “run until you puke” but Jim doesn’t do that either. “What if the biggest game of the season is the next day? I prefer to sit them down and talk it over. I never liked to punish my kids.” (Just beat them at games.) “That’s the problem in this country- it’s all far right Republicans or far left Democrats. There’s nothing in the middle.”

Matt asked what the coach thought of last night’s double-header in Chicago. “It’s a good thing to get the focus on college basketball in November. Normally it’s all college and pro football. The games were all freshmen and sophomores. Six of the top ten picks in the draft were there. Bagley is going to be the best player in the country and the #1 pick. Grayson Allen is a great player. He’s like JJ Reddick only better. Kentucky hung with Kansas who didn’t shoot well. DuVal will be the #1 point guard in the draft. He plays just like Derrick Rose.”

The SU football team “has a really hard game against Louisville. Jackson is the best quarterback in the country. I don’t know how you stop him. Our back-up had an unbelievable game. But I knew they couldn’t stop them. They had an experienced line a good quarterback, a good running back and some great receivers. Louisville will be really tough to stop. Maybe we can get to a bowl at 5-7?” Matt noted that both the football and basketball teams have a high APR. “The players worked hard- even guys who have left have finished their work.”

Continuing the thought about Zach Mahoney, Matt asked what great off the bench performances in basketball that Jim could recall, aside from Dion Waiters, who was really a 6th starter. Jim said he couldn’t remember, although Kris Joseph was pretty good coming off the bench. “It’s harder these days to have really good players on your bench. In the old days Georgetown would have 8 NBA guys and we’d have 6-7. Duke has 4 (high school) All-Americans on the bench. They don’t play because the other guys are better. You don’t see anybody playing more than 6-7 guys any more. “

They talked about upcoming games against Texas Southern, Oakland and Toledo, who, like Iona are better teams than the fans may realize. Then the conversation came full circle: what does JB think of the practice of a school like Texas Southern sending its team around the country to play games for guarantees against teams they are unlikely to beat? “Smaller schools have to do that. It doesn’t matter to them. They just have to win their conference to get into the NCAAs. It develops mental toughness and chemistry. When they get finished playing those teams no one in the conference will intimidate them. And they make $80-100,000 per game for 6-7 games.”

The discussed Rafael Addison who was honored at the recent banquet. “He’s an example for young players. He came the worst part of Jersey City. He played in the NBA and in Europe and came home to get his master’s degree, went into teaching and real estate and started working in the community. He’s an example that starting circumstances don’t determine your life. You can escape anything. He’s shown how to handle himself and do the things you are supposed to do. He’s a tremendous guy. He’s totally loyal to Syracuse and is around all the time.” Matt said that he and Wendell Alexis, his former teammate, are always sitting together at every game.

They talked about the stellar grouping of broadcasters at last night’s game, where Sean McDonough, Bob Costas, Mike Tiricos and Beth Mowins were sitting together. They are in two to honor Tirico who’s getting the Marty Glickman award. Jim says “They show what Syracuse University can do for you. Costas has ten times as many awards as anybody else. They are all great at whatever they do.”

Last edited:
Liked this line -- JB: everybody thinks there is parody and there is ...

Because, in these early games, players goof around and its funny.

Fixed.

But maybe I should have left it there. ;)

BOURAMA’S KNEE BOTHERED HIM????

<hyperventilating>

I liked that he said that the fans will like this team, that the freshmen will be “fan favorites.” Good to hear!

Jim doesn’t like suspensions: “They hurt the team – and the fans- more than the player. I prefer to make them do something they don’t want to do.” Matt suggested he meant “run until you puke” but Jim doesn’t do that either. “What if the biggest game of the season is the next day? I prefer to sit them down and talk it over. I never liked to punish my kids.” (Just beat them at games.) “That’s the problem in this country- it’s all far right Republicans or far left Democrats. There’s nothing in the middle.”

Oh Jesus.

Maybe next week you ask if he is going to do a home and home with Coach Hop. You can say asking for a friend.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom