The Jim Boeheim Show before Virginia II - Part 1 | Syracusefan.com

The Jim Boeheim Show before Virginia II - Part 1

SWC75

Bored Historian
Jim Boeheim’s radio show is on Thursdays from 7-8 or 9PM on ESPN Radio in Syracuse, which is AM1200 or FM 97.7 on the dial. The show originates from Carrabba's Italian Grill in Fayetteville. The first hour, hosted by Matt Park, the Voice of the Orange, is on their general network. The second hour, which begins with the conference season, is hosted by Gomez, a local radio personality.

This year’s schedule: Tuesday, November 12, 7:00 pm, Tuesday, November 19, 7:00 pm, Thursday, December 5, 7:00 pm, Thursday, December 12, 7:00 pm, Thursday, December 19, 7:00 pm, Thursday, December 26, 7:00 pm, Thursday, January 2, 7:00 pm, Thursday, January 9, 7:00 pm, Thursday, January 16, 7:00 pm, Thursday, January 23, 7:00 pm, Thursday, January 30, 7:00 pm, Thursday, February 6, 7:00 pm, Monday, February 13, 7:00 pm, Thursday, February 20, 7:00 pm, Thursday, February 27, 7:00 pm,
Thursday, March 5, 7:00 pm.

You can call into the show locally at 315-424-8599 or nationally at 1-888-746-2873. For Gomez’s portion, use 315-424-8599. Or you can submit questions from this page:
Submit a Question! - Syracuse University Athletics
Or on Twitter at mattpark1 or “askBoeheim”.

The show can be heard in Syracuse on FM 99.5. It’s sometime simulcast on AM 1200 or FM 97.7. You can also get it on: TuneIn | Free Internet Radio | NFL, Sports, Podcasts, Music & News

I will be posting my rough transcript the night of the broadcast focusing on my questions, the team and their last and next games and then a second post the next day on other things that were discussed.

MY QUESTIONS/COMMENTS

First Hour:

“Coach, in the Virginia Tech game we attempted 36 two point shots and 17 three point shots. Tech attempted 14 two point shots and 36 three point shots. Ironically, both teams scored 52 points on field goals. The game was won from the free throw line, were they had 4 more attempts, 4 more makes and won by 4. How did the more physical team that was setting for three point shots wind up going to the line more than the team playing zone and driving to the basket?”

Second Hour:

“Bourama got off to a great start against Notre Dame and I thought he would go on to have a big night. Then he got a couple of fouls called on him and had to leave the game. His production tailed off when he came back in. Are the refs more likely to call fouls on players who have a reputation for fouling? Does Bourama tend to play to tentatively when he gets called for fouls?”

COACH BOEHEIM
(I have, in some instances, put together statements from different parts of the broadcast on the same subject. The quotes may not be verbatim –they are from my scribbled notes. I have not knowingly changed the meaning. In recent years they have started out doing one hour shows and then shifted to two hour shows in January. When they do two hour shows. I might do two posts: one on the night of the broadcast on the issues directly relating to the team on the other the next days on other things that were talked about.)

(I’m going to do two parts for this one, as described above.)

PART ONE

JB: “Good Morning…and good night”. (Our coach seems confused.)

Matt: “We’re off to Charlottesville” JB: “Virginia beat Virginia Tech by 30 then they lost to BC on the road. Tech was 3 for 17 from three point range against them. You’ve got to find a way to score points. We are better on offense than we were in the first game but we still need to get better on defense. Breakdowns man three pointers… It’s going to be a league of close games. Duke has separated themselves but the rest are on the same level….We just couldn’t get a stop when we needed to. It’s a young team. They make too many mistakes. It’s the little things. Girard should have had a lay-up on that play against Notre Dame. Quincy got called for a charge, etc. I can’t complain about the offense, with new players and no seniors, it’s been pretty good. Our defense has not been getting stops, rebounds or turnovers when we need one. If we play well we’ll be in the game. We’re good enough and tough enough but don’t get easy baskets. We don’t get the offensive rebounds. Our center is 6-9 210 and our power forward is 6-9 180. We’re a finesse team. We have to make shots. We are fighting through the things young teams have to fight through. “

I called in my first question, (and JB had no problem understanding that if the field goals produce an equal number of points that the free throws decided the game.) “I don’t know.” (Why they got more free throws than we did.) “We were getting hit and held. They were very physical and we weren’t physical at all….Notre Dame was a good game, and exciting game. There just wasn’t enough defense. Until we stop people, we’re not winning. Notre Dame made some baskets inside. We out-played them other than the big guy down below. We’ve had 5-6 games where we couldn’t handle someone down there. Oshae and Paschal weren’t bulky but they were stronger than what we have now. We’re too skinny down there. We’ve gone the whole year winning by a lot or losing. Both teams, (ND and Tech), made some tough shots at the end. The Tech guy who made that last shot was 0 for 9 in his last game. ….I thought we should have gotten to the line more than we did. It is what it is….Some coaches take the philosophy that the ref can’t call all of ‘em, (the fouls). They call some at the beginning and then stop…..Joe was hit in the arm at the end of the Notre Dame game. I don’t know what the call was on elbow vs. Virginia Tech. There was a flop but he got hit on the shoulder.” Matt noted there was a second foul shot given Virginia Tech when they missed the front end of a one-and-one. Jim said that in fact the refs called it a two shot foul, “Although they shouldn’t have.”

The next caller, (didn’t get the name) wanted a breakdown on how we cover the outside shooters and what happens when they get an open shot from the corner. JB: “If the guards are on the wing, the forward has the corner shot. But once in what they are too close together and get caught up. The center has to see that and cover the corner. If the forward is up high, the center has to run to the corner. Our defense should be better. With a young group it’s not easy to stop against good teams. We’re not as good as we’d like to be on offense and defense….Too many people give up. We never give up. If we were winless we’d still be trying to get better and win the next game. We’re getting better and we’ll figure it out.”

Virginia’s Braxton key reinjured his left wrist late in the BC game but a report is out that it’s “no big deal”. JB: “He’ll be there and is playing well. BC made some tough shots at the beginning and made a couple of even tougher ones at the end. Virginia has struggles offensively, especially on the road. They don’t rely heavily on the three but they have players who can make them. They have fewer possessions so there is lower scoring.”

Red in Syracuse made a tribute to the team and its coach. “Your players give maximum effort on the court every single game since I’ve been born. You can right the ship! You’re the man around here!” JB thanked him: “We’ve struggled and will struggle for a little while more. Jalen had a good summer and he might be good against a pressure defense like Virginia Tech. Brycen’s injury has slowed down his development. He now has a mask that fits. It’s amazing he was hit in the face on the second play of the first scrimmage after he got it but he’s OK. I played for four years and with glasses on and got hit in the face twice. With Robert Braswell, it’s hard play basketball when your legs hurt. I just want him to get healthy. 5-6 weeks of shooting and lifting with no running or jumping. He’ll gain weight. He’s already gained 12-14 pounds. He was a start high jump champion and now he can’t jump. It’s shin splints. We’ve tested him for all the normal causes. He’s just some degree of tightness. There’s no miracle operation that could fix it. He just needs exercise and rest.“

I called in my second question about Bourama: “He knows he’s just go to go out and play hard. We’ve got Marek. Bourama hasn’t played well, even in practice. He played the equivalent of 3-4 good games as a freshman and just played little bits of last year. Big guys take a year or two to develop playing every game. he’s also undersized. He’s a better player than he’s shown….At the start of a year, you never know how players are going to play. We knew Elijah would be good but he’s been better than that. Buddy and Joe have been better than we thought. Marek can do better. Bourama is better than he’s shown. Still, he’s only playing 24 minutes a game and is averaging 7.5 rebounds. He went straight up against Notre Dame and had a good block. There’s always going to be some missed calls.”

“Quincy has earned more playing time. He’s still struggling on defense. Joe is good on offense but struggling on defense.

There was a texted question about the impact of players leaving early. JB: “Leaving early hurts because it’s usually your best player. We’d be really good if Oshae and Tyus had come back. You try to prepare for departures and get ready for them. You can recruit somebody they aren’t going to be as immediately good as the player who left. Ennis, Richardson, Lydon, Brissett – I never thought they’d leave early. Draymond Green stayed for 4 years at Michigan State and he would have had the career he’s had if he hadn’t. If you play 2-3 years and then you are out of the league, you might make $4 million but the government takes $2 million. You buy stuff for your parents. You buy crazy things like $30,000 wrist watches or $80,000 cars. You move to a strange city and have to find housing there. You can use it up very quickly. It’s better to have a long term career. I predicted that Oshae wouldn’t get drafted and wind up in the G league. He got his chance because three guys got injured. He got a little luck. I thought Tyler Lydon had a pretty good chance but Denver had no room for him. He went to Sacramento and he hadn’t played for two years. The same thing happened to Malachi Richardson. If you aren’t a top player it’s about getting into the right place. More power to Jerami Grant because he did just that.“

Like it or lump it I enjoy JB's candor on early entries.

With so few positions really open and a new class of American and of foreign players becoming available each year, I have never understood why the NBA drafts on potential. You'd think they would be looking for players who can help them immediately. I guess the answer is that there aren't many players who could and once you get past the lottery picks you are "taking a flyer" on anybody. The very fact that so few positions are open means that they are not dependent on those players they are taking a flyer on to become good NBA players. If they don't, they will see what happens with the next group.

The draft emphasis on potential makes it look to the players like the NBA team will make a commitment to developing their skills when in fact they are like cards in a poker game. They are just taking you in case you are one of the few who get a real chance and develop quickly. if not, you will be discarded, (which is no doubt the derivation of the word).

I think it still behooves young players to maximize their skills before presenting themselves to the NBA to maximize their chances of actually making it in the league. But they all see themselves as stars and they all think the money being offered them is close to infinite because their families have never seen that much before or anything close to it. So bye-bye and in a couple of years you'll be playing in Turkey or New Zealand. I hope you like it there.

PART II

“There’s a couple of great teams and a lot of good ones in college basketball. Gonzaga, Duke, Kansas and maybe San Diego State have separated themselves. San Diego State could go undefeated.(he didn’t mention Auburn, for some reason.) …Purdue was playing well and then went to Illinois and lost by 30. Wichita State is really good. They had their first down season under Coach Marshall last year but they are right back this year….Florida State uses everybody. They guard you for 90 feet, relentless full court pressure. They just keep coming at you. Someone will score 15 in one game, none in the next but somebody else will score 15. Leonard Hamilton has done a tremendous job building a program like that.” I thought nobody did that sort of thing any more, coach.

“The ACC won’t have three #1 seeds like last year but the depth is still good.” Gomez suggested that it’s similar to the ACC football conference, where Dino Babers said everyone seemed to have a young quarterback this year and that they will be better next year and peak the year after that. Jim nodded his head at that, (as least I think he did- it’s a radio show). “Some teams have seniors. Duke will lose a lot but they will have some good guys coming in. it’s a combo of young and old. We are one of the few teams with no seniors. Every team has at least 1-2 seniors. Georgia Tech had a bad game against us but had a good chance at Duke.

On the comments by UNC Coach Roy Williams about the talent level on his team: “He’s telling the truth. You can’t do that. People don’t want the negative. I try not to be overtly negative. I just say players should play better. I never say that this guy is why we lost. If it’s accurate, it’s OK> he did say his team couldn’t win. They are heavily dependent on Cole Anthon, who will be back before too much longer. He’s the best guard coming out this year. He makes their other guards better. When Coach Williams came there they already had some good young players. He brought them to a couple of national titles. They went through their problems but instead of bringing in top 20 guy he’d bring in 6-7 guys ranked in the 20’s and the 30’s and won another championship. He’s had about 15 straight good teams.”

On John Belien’s alleged statement about his players playing “like thugs”, Jim believes his explanation that he meant to say ‘slugs’ because “it would make more sense. He’s complaining about them playing too slow. He wants them to play harder”.

John in Fort Worth said that he always used to hate Jamie Dixon when he was at Pitt beating SU but when he was transferred there, he became a TCU fan and thus a Dixon fan. JB: “Jamie Dixon is a very good, very solid coach who has had success wherever he’s been.” But now Dixon’s regime is in trouble due to the FBI and NCAA probes. JB: “The NCAA hasn’t yet figured out how those cases will work out. I had a basketball operations guy do something so I’m responsible under the rules. In the end, the NCAA will have to do something to these schools. All the coaches are still there except Rick Pitino and that was from an accumulation of things. They might put some limitations on recruiting or take away some wins.”

Coach was describing something that happened 21 years ago as happening 22 years ago. Matt corrected him and Coach said “You’re just like my children, always correcting me. You don’t have to be exact.”

Melo “continues to play solid ball. He scored 26 coming back to the garden. The Blazers need to get some of their other guys back. Jerami Grant had 15 points and 5 rebounds in a recent game. OKC has so many guys he only plays about 15 minutes. There are six really good teams out west. “

Coach is a Jeopardy fan and is frustrated that he lacks time to watch the current tournament, although he has taken a peak at it. Matt noted that Vegas is no longer taking bets on it as the results have bene leaked, (it’s pre-recorded). JB: “Holzhauer is so quick. I get one right every 5-6 questions. He gets about 97% of them right. (Like Joe Girard at the foul line). He’s so smart he doesn’t worry about missing. You can’t be that fast and know that much. I used to get more answers right. I think they made the questions harder.” (Either that or the coach is older.) I suggested when I called in my second question that the coach might do well on jeopardy if there was a category for zone defense or maybe restaurants. He laughed at that but said that he’d never hit the buzzer in time. Gomez noted that Holzhauer practices using the bar that holds his toilet paper- the degree of pressure required is just the same as the Jeopardy buzzer. Coach said he almost got the question about Joe Barlow and the two diminutive leaders but he couldn’t figure out who Joe Barlow was, (that didn’t matter – the question was about the two diminutive leaders).

On Joe Judge, the new New York Giants coach: “If you’ve been with the Patriots, you know how to do it.”. Matt pointed out that other Bill Belichick assistants had not been able to carry over his success. JB: “Belichick wasn’t a success in his first job in Cleveland. They wanted to fire the guy in Buffalo before they made the playoffs this year. “ What about the contract Matt Ruhle got from the Panthers? “$60 million for his first job. He must be good. Of course they have the richest owner in the league.”
Coach feels Jason Garrett “knows what he’s doing” and will be a success as a coordinator.

Coach knows that “Clemson hasn’t lost and their quarterback is good and he’ll be rooting for Clemson because they are in our conference. But he thinks “LSU has too many guys. Ed Orgeron is a gr4eat guy. He fights all the time.” He agrees that the new Egg Bowl rivalry between Lane Kiffin and Mike Leach will be interesting but “their problem is that Mississippi and Mississippi State think they are Alabama and LSU – and they aren’t.”

Eric Dungey is now in the XFL. “He might play a couple years there and get better and then go back to the NFL.. Gomez described some of the crazy new rules they have there, including 1 point conversations form the 2 yards line, 2 points from the 3 yards line and 3 points from the 10 yard line. On a punter, only the kicker and the returner can touch the ball before it hits the ground, etc. (I would give 1 point from the 10, 2 from the 20, 3 from the 30, etc. out to 50 from the 50 and the other team gets the ball at that spot if you fail). What rule changes in basketball are desirable and likely? The only one Jim could figure out was the 24 second clock rather than the 30, which might be coming down the road.

Floyd Little wound up #52 on the list of the top 150 players in the 150 years of college football history. Only #26-150 have been revealed so far:
The rest will be revealed Monday, the top 11 at halftime of the national championship game. (Tim tebo is #76 and he plays for Syracuse – does that count?)

JB: “Ernie Davis should be in the top 10. You’d think Jim Brown would be there, too.” It’s good to know that Jim still has his pair of orange-colored glasses.

There was no trivia question this week.

During these shows does JB mention anything about Buddy's defense, at all?

I think he said something brief about Joe and Buddy getting better on defense.

Notre Dame made some baskets inside. We out-played them other than the big guy down below. We’ve had 5-6 games where we couldn’t handle someone down there. Oshae and Paschal weren’t bulky but they were stronger than what we have now. We’re too skinny down there. We’ve gone the whole year winning by a lot or losing. Both
i listened a bit. JB was basically conceding the point we can't beat any team with an inside presence.
and like jimbo i myself "try not to be overtly negative." never point fingers or assign blame...

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom