The Jim Boeheim Show - before Virginia Tech | Syracusefan.com

The Jim Boeheim Show - before Virginia Tech

SWC75

Bored Historian
Jim Boeheim’s radio show is on Thursdays from 7-8 or 9PM on ESPN Radio in Syracuse, which is AM1200 or FM 97.7 on the dial. The show originates from Carrabba's Italian Grill in Fayetteville. The first hour, hosted by Matt Park, the Voice of the Orange, is on their general network. The second hour, which begins with the conference season, is hosted by Gomez, a local radio personality.

This year’s schedule: Tuesday, November 12, 7:00 pm, Tuesday, November 19, 7:00 pm, Thursday, December 5, 7:00 pm, Thursday, December 12, 7:00 pm, Thursday, December 19, 7:00 pm, Thursday, December 26, 7:00 pm, Thursday, January 2, 7:00 pm, Thursday, January 9, 7:00 pm, Thursday, January 16, 7:00 pm, Thursday, January 23, 7:00 pm, Thursday, January 30, 7:00 pm, Thursday, February 6, 7:00 pm, Monday, February 13, 7:00 pm, Thursday, February 20, 7:00 pm, Thursday, February 27, 7:00 pm,
Thursday, March 5, 7:00 pm.

You can call into the show locally at 315-424-8599 or nationally at 1-888-746-2873. For Gomez’s portion, use 315-424-8599. Or you can submit questions from this page:
Submit a Question! - Syracuse University Athletics
Or on Twitter at mattpark1 or “askBoeheim”.

The show can be heard in Syracuse on FM 99.5. It’s sometime simulcast on AM 1200 or FM 97.7. You can also get it on: TuneIn | Free Internet Radio | NFL, Sports, Podcasts, Music & News

I will be posting my rough transcript the night of the broadcast focusing on my questions, the team and their last and next games and then a second post the next day on other things that were discussed.

MY QUESTIONS/COMMENTS

First Hour:

“Coach, after the first Virginia Tech game, in which we had 1 fast break point, you said “We can’t run. We’re not a running team”. Against Virginia we had 13 fast break points and then 24 against Boston College. Are we a fast breaking team now?”

Second Hour:

“Coach, against Boston College, we had the unusual circumstance of having a 25 point halftime lead. How hard is it in this situation to keep the team focused and playing hard and if they don’t, how much will that tend to carry over into the next game?”

COACH BOEHEIM
(I have, in some instances, put together statements from different parts of the broadcast on the same subject. The quotes may not be verbatim –they are from my scribbled notes. I have not knowingly changed the meaning. In recent years they have started out doing one hour shows and then shifted to two hour shows in January. When they do two hour shows. I might do two posts: one on the night of the broadcast on the issues directly relating to the team on the other the next days on other things that were talked about.)

(I’m going to do two parts for this one, as described above.)

PART ONE

On the BC game: “We got off to a slow start, then started getting better movement. We played good defense and when you play good defense sometimes when the other team finally got some good shots they tend to rush them…. We did good things on offense in both halves… Elijah Hughes and Marek Dolezaj missed shots they would normally make at the beginning of each half. …Boston College beat Virginia and Notre Dame and got their best player, (Derryck Thornton), back before they played us….over the course of a season, you are going to have good and bad nights. Most of their three pointers weren’t close. They had 2-3 in and outs, then made 6 of their last 12.”

Matt suggested that “Buddy set the tone for the game” JB: “Those were on long rebounds. Nobody picked him up. Those were not easy shots. We struggled for a long time. We’ve got different guys who can get us going: Buddy, Elijah, Joe. Marek is scoring 10-11 points but he’s capable of more. That summer injury to his shooting hand has held him back… We try to give Marek 15-18 feet to make plays in. But he can’t shoot it from there. It’s taking longer than I thought. He could hit a three pointer last year. he hasn’t been making them in practice. Joe Girard shot his way into the line-up by the shots he made in practice. That’s why I don’t second-guess other coaches: I haven’t seen their practices…..Shooting is what can separate us. Virginia is the best defensive team in the country and we scored 20 points in 5 minute overtime against them. Florida State just scored 54 points on them for the whole game. This is what the three point shot can do.”

Matt asked if there have been players who performed better in games than practice. The only one JB could think of was Lawrence Moten, who didn’t score all that much in practice but did in the games. Going into a game with Florida State who had Charley Ward and several other NBA guys Jim decide to replace Moten with Scott McCorkle, “a good shooter but a below average player”. He was persuaded not to and scored 8 of the team’s first 10 points and had 19 points by halftime.

I called in my question about whether we are now a running team. JB: “No….Not at all. 2-3 of those fest breaks were really long rebounds. We got 2-3 on steals and Marek took a couple the distance himself. BC at that point wasn’t getting back. Virginia focused on the boards. Virginia Tech gets back.” (So it’s not a fast break if it’s off a long rebound or steal or if someone takes it coast to coast?) “We’ll try to make a fast break. I don’t think it will be a regular thing. It would be great if it was…It’s unusual for a 6-9 guy to dribble out of there. Billy Owens could do it. John Wallace thought he could do it. He did it once and made a three pointer, (Georgia). You want forwards to fill the lanes more than guards because they have the size to finish at the basket.” Matt said that fast break points can sometimes be inaccurate because the scorer has to “press an extra button” to record them. JB added that points off turnovers is also misleading because they count travels as well as steals. KenPom tries to keep track of what defenders were scored on, which Jim finds to be ridiculous. “It depends on the defense. In our zone, different players might have different responsibilities in different situations.”

Isaiah Stewart claimed in an interview that Jim refused to give him an autograph.
Jim remembers that Isaiah was one of a group of boys who came over to him when he was watching Thomas Bryant play and asked to take a picture with them. He didn’t want to stand and block the view of the people behind them. He said that Isaiah reminded him of the incident during his official visit. “He liked Mike and wanted to get a way. He’s doing a great job out there.”

Jim doesn’t like the schedule which has his team playing teams just a couple of weeks apart. “I don’t understand the inner workings of the schedule.”

Gomez later asked about the Virginia win, where we scored more points in overtime than in the second half. JB: “They made one mistake and didn’t get up on Joe. They guarded Marek and let Elijah hit one. Their defensive concept is to not give up anything easy and guard the three point line. We got a lucky three and that made it easier. Florida State got 54 at home against them….the BC game started oddly – very low scoring. Our defense was good early. When they finally got some good shots they missed them. If you don’t shoot the ball, you’re not winning.”

“Brycen’s mask cost $2,000. Incredibly, he was hit in the face again today in practice. That’s happened twice since he got the mask. In my entire career of playing in glasses, I got hit in the face just twice. He made a couple of really good moves in the lane. He needs to get healthy and have a really good chance to play...Marek takes a beating. He’s 180 pounds and taking on players who are 220 pounds. We gave him and Elijah who also went down hard, a break in practice. It’s hard to get inside on the big guys so we have to take pull-ups.”

Did Buddy have to be recruited? “Buddy always told me that he wanted to play for Syracuse didn’t know if he would be good enough. He’s worked harder than any other player I’ve had and it’s not just me who thinks so. The strength coach says he spends more time in the weight room that anybody. He advanced his game by going to prep school. He’s a year ahead of where I thought he’d be.”

Gomez mentions that we were in third place in the ACC. “We’re playing better but it’s way too early to think about that stuff. We’re still trying to get better as a team. We are fortunate to have had a couple of easy games. There is a long ways to go. Our bench is not quite ready. Howard did a nice job in the first half. Brycen made two good offensive plays. Quincy made a couple of good plays. Jesse lost a couple of balls but he had 4 rebounds. He’ got to get stronger.”

I called in my second question but since Jim had just mentioned Hughes’ injury and pull up shots I decided first to ask how Elijah was and if he should have taken one of those pull-up jumpers. “We talked about that today. We don’t want to take the drive away. I told him he’s got to pick his spots. Elijah is bruised up as is Marek but otherwise OK.”

I then asked the second question. “It won’t carry over. We were all right. Our offense was pretty good in the second half. They made some tough shots. If you have a 25 point lead, the second half will be close. It’s about the laws of chance and the other team’s pride. ”

Gomez says that it’s fun to watch Joe Girard. He makes a bad play and doesn’t care. He just moves on.” JB: He doesn’t make many bad plays. It’s hard to know how well players will do. Guys surprise you both ways.”

Tom in Lafayette praised Howard Washington for begin a point guard who could come in and settle things down. He compared him to Josh pace. JB pointed out that Josh wasn’t a point guard but agreed he had a calming effect as well. “Howard can’t score like Joe can but he’s a solid player with this team. We have other shooters. He has struggled with his shooting in practice.

Virginia Tech “Is a tough team playing well. Everybody we play is going to be good.”

Did Buddy have to be recruited? “Buddy always told me that he wanted to play for Syracuse didn’t know if he would be good enough. He’s worked harder than any other player I’ve had and it’s not just me who thinks so. The strength coach says he spends more time in the weight room that anybody. He advanced his game by going to prep school. He’s a year ahead of where I thought he’d be.”

Nobody can, or will, ever work harder than Trevor Cooney! I just don't buy it!!!!!

PART II

On the national scene: “Memphis vs. Cincinnati was the game on TV. (Memphis won 60-49). JB: “I don’t know what the Weisman deal is. He wasn’t to avoid injury but more guys get hurt in workouts than in games.” Temple beat Wichita State in Wichita. “I don’t think there are big upsets anymore. There are many more close games. There’s not much of a difference between teams...I’ve seen Kentucky play well and other times they’ve struggled. They have young guards….Northern Iowa is really good. I’m friends with their coach, (Ben Jacobson), thought Nike trips….San Diego State looks like a good team, not a great team. There is so much balance…..Colorado has looked strong ….Auburn got buzz sawed at Alabama but that’s a rivalry game on the road…..it will be a very controversial year as far as NCAA selections.”

On the ACC: “Georgia Tech didn’t have their point guard, (Jose Alvarado), when we played them and they now have a transfer who just became eligible, (6-7 228 Jordan Usher from USC). Elijah had a great start against then and suddenly it was 12-2. They started pressing and we got easy shots. …Clemson has good veteran guys and are a solid team.”

Casey in Fayetteville wanted to know what restaurants Jim looks forward to dinning at on road trips. Jim likes Pittsburgh a lot because they have quite a few good Italian places. “It’s good therapy for the staff to get away for a good meal. But it’s not much fun if you lose.” Jim mentioned a restaurant on a hill with a great view. I wonder if it’s the place featured in this episode of Route 66, (see the fourth paragraph of my review): "Route 66" Mon Petit Chou (TV Episode 1961) - IMDb It’s shown in this clip:

Carmelo Anthony returned to Houston and “had a really efficient game. They are still a dangerous team . I thought Carmelo would be a solid second team fit – he could really dominate - but he’s getting to start due to injuries.” Zion Williamson “Is a good kid with a big body. I hope he holds up. Big men get tired moving fast. That’s when you tend to get hurt.”

On the resignation of Carlos Beltran as the Mets manager in the sign-stealing scandal: “I was surprised. They aren’t punishing players. But he didn’t fight it. I’m sure he’s getting a settlement. There has always been sign stealing. I don’t know much about it.” This is the anniversary of the day the Mickey Mantle and Whitey Ford were inducted into the Hall of Fame. “They stole signs back then, too. It wasn’t as sophisticated. But players stayed with teams longer so it got reported less.”

On Odell Beckham Jr. was shown handing money to LSU players after the championship game: Not smart. The players who are coming back to LSU will give the money back.”

Jim Brown was named the top college football player of all time. Ernie Davis and Floyd Little were also on the list, (15th and 52nd). Jim had been asked to predict where they would be ranked and got them “in the right order”. “Jim had to be #1 but people thought Ernie Davis would be better than he was. He was nearly as big and he was faster. He was also a great basketball player.” (Ernie was a Parade All-American in basketball. Jim wasn’t but he has a notable career here in that sport.) “People who met Ernie said that he was the best guy they ever knew. I know a guy from home, (Lyons), who didn’t like many people and he loved Ernie so he must have been something. I met his mother once. We helped put in a basketball court at the Ernie Davis center in Elmira. “

The Duke game will be at *PM on February 1st. Gomez said that the next day would be ground hog day. He has friends who will be at the Duke game and the next day will travel to Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania to see if the ground hog will see his shadow, (and then live that day over and over again until they get it right). Gomez had some basketball trivia related to Punxsutawney: the famous Penn, Pistons and Olympic coach Chuck Daly coached the local high school team there from 1955-1963. Coach remembers Daly as the ultimate clothes horse: “He was one of the classiest guys I’ve ever known. He had a closet the size of a room for just his clothes. He had 100 tailored suits, with a dress shirt for each one. He had 40 pairs of shoes and 30-40 sweaters, the most expensive kind- cashmere. Everything was custom made. Many of them were unused. He would bring two suits to the game in case something happened.

They had two trivia questions:

What famous author attended the SU- Virginia game in Charlottesville?

What former Syracuse player recently celebrated his son scoring his 1,000th collegiate point? (Hint: it’s the second time he’s done it.)

didn't know the author. the former player question i got right off. made me wonder about jimmy's kids. what kind of points they might put up. question said "son" but i looked up jamies points. scored 98 last year and is team manager apparently this season. (injured?) . boys are both putting up decent numbers.

I called in my second question but since Jim had just mentioned Hughes’ injury and pull up shots I decided first to ask how Elijah was and if he should have taken one of those pull-up jumpers. “We talked about that today. We don’t want to take the drive away. I told him he’s got to pick his spots. Elijah is bruised up as is Marek but otherwise OK.”

Ah HA! Thanks for asking that question. He threaded the needle with the answer. I saw the replay when I watched the game, and Eli went right into a defender who had his feet set. There were two other defenders on either side. From 309 it looked like he had tried to bulldoze a wall. It looked like a dangerous, foolish play to me, and I stand by this opinion!

But I am a mom, and not a basketball player.

I'm guessing Stevie Thompson for the 2nd Q.

Ah HA! Thanks for asking that question. He threaded the needle with the answer. I saw the replay when I watched the game, and Eli went right into a defender who had his feet set. There were two other defenders on either side. From 309 it looked like he had tried to bulldoze a wall. It looked like a dangerous, foolish play to me, and I stand by this opinion!

But I am a mom, and not a basketball player.

And you reacted to it just as a Mom would- and should. You don't want anyone to get hurt.

John Grisham

Correct. JB: "A brilliant writer. Everything he touches is great stuff. I've rea dall his books. He's one of the top 2-3 writers we have. He lives in Charlottesville. I met him at a restaurant. He's a big basketball fan and he tapped me on the shoulder. I asked if there would be a sequel to green mountain. it seemed like there should be more to it. He said he likes to leave the reader wanting more."

Another author who is a big basketball fan is "Emily griffin- she sends me books. She's pretty good." (Don't Emily Jim said 'pretty' good.) "I read mostly mystery-type things.: Patterson, Michael Collins, David (somebody), Stone Barrington- he's simple. (Is that good?) I see a lot of stuff on Netflicks and Amazon Prime. That's all my kids watch. they don't watch television. They've watched The office five times, all the episodes. That's pretty good." (Maybe pretty good is OK after all.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom