the last shot of the half or the game | Syracusefan.com

the last shot of the half or the game

upperdeck

Living Legend
I love the effort but is Gillon ever going to go at the right time so the other team doesnt score?

we would be better off just letting him shoot from 25t ft than him taking off with 7-8 to go getting it blocked/stolen and it turning into points the other way..

Just watched the last shot at the half in the Minnesota/Wisconsin game. Waited too long..no chance for a put back.

Why is it so difficult to wait and shoot when there's 4-5 seconds on the clock and a miss might get you an offensive put back?

More often than not it seems players shoot too early or too late.

Honestly, I'd feel much more comfortable with an ISO for Battle and let him either create his own shot or take it to the rack. He's got a great handle and is big and athletic. Assuming he stays, which I believe he will, he's going to be a handful next year!

10 seconds. That's when conventional wisdom would dictate that you initiate the play to end a half.

10 seconds. That's when conventional wisdom would dictate that you initiate the play to end a half.
Yeah but if the play is to let Gillon drive, then 4 seconds is about right since he will definitely be able to get past his man. Unfortunately he's been driving at like the 9 second mark.

It's simply execution that requires composure and iq

We have lapses a lot

Pretty sure Boeheim said after the Duke game that they really don't practice end of game plays. Someone asked in the presser. That would mean end of halves as well. Pretty sure he just said something like we just tell John get down there and make a play. Paraphrasing but something like that. :noidea:

Pretty sure Boeheim said after the Duke game that they really don't practice end of game plays. Someone asked in the presser. That would mean end of halves as well. Pretty sure he just said something like we just tell John get down there and make a play. Paraphrasing but something like that. :noidea:
That seems to be Boeheim's "go to" strategy: let someone make a play.

But, seriously, when was the last time the Orange closed out a first half by making a final shot?
There's almost always some debacle.

That seems to be Boeheim's "go to" strategy: let someone make a play.

But, seriously, when was the last time the Orange closed out a first half by making a final shot?
There's almost always some debacle.
Last year, we seemed so good at getting Lydon a 3 at the end of the 1st half. Now, I pray that we only miss a shot and that's it. Instead of just missing a shot and heading to the half, we shoot too early or turn it over and then compound the issue by fouling with under 5 seconds.

Last year, we seemed so good at getting Lydon a 3 at the end of the 1st half. Now, I pray that we only miss a shot and that's it. Instead of just missing a shot and heading to the half, we shoot too early or turn it over and then compound the issue by fouling with under 5 seconds.

That's pretty much where I am in those situations. Just limit the damage mode- and I'm normally ultra-positive so when I don't have a good feeling, that's bad news. It really is infuriating that we can't seem to get the play or timing right on those. I'm a big Gillon fan but he's killing me in those situations.

it has never been 10 secs to take the shot though.. the shot should always be around 2-3s left. and the play at the end of the half the time for a tip in is less of an issue than the play at the end of the game. The same can be said for whether its tied or you are losing at the the end.

Yeah but if the play is to let Gillon drive, then 4 seconds is about right since he will definitely be able to get past his man. Unfortunately he's been driving at like the 9 second mark.
And it seems like no one rotates back when he starts his drive so that the other team has a clear break after he boots the ball.

Have you watched this team?

4 seconds is when we should initiate a play prior to half.

Then we'll never get a good shot. The opponent won't either, but we definitely won't.

sometimes defense is our best offense. and this is a shining example of that.

sometimes defense is our best offense. and this is a shining example of that.

I think the better alternative is to come up with something other than Gillon driving to the rim like a bat out of hell.

I think the better alternative is to come up with something other than Gillon driving to the rim like a bat out of hell.

I'd like to see what Battle can do with the ball in those situations. Anything that what we have been doing.

I'd like to see what Battle can do with the ball in those situations. Anything that what we have been doing.

The step back jumper he hit twice against Duke is unguardable. We should give him the ball and just have him do that every time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom