The Little Things | Syracusefan.com

The Little Things

OrangeTown

All Conference
Disclaimer: I have a slight (large) man-crush on CJ Fair.

Ever since he came in with the Dion/Fab/Baye class, there was something about him I liked. For some reason I knew he would be my favorite of the bunch. Even just looking at him, he has that look about him that makes you (me) like him. Little did I know how true those feelings were.

As great as Dion was, and for all the fantastic things he (and Fab) did for us in their two years here, there is just something to be said for watching a player grow when they stay at the Cuse for more than a couple years. CJ has become a program player that I am ever more quickly being proud of.

But onto the topic of the thread: the little things. What tipped me off to this was watching his shoot free throws a few games ago. His free throw percentage has gone up from 61% to 74% to 80% this year. Throw this together with his obvious dedication to improving his outside shot to the point where he's shooting 38% from 3 (albeit on limited attempts), and it shows his extreme dedication to improvement.

And if he doesn't have one of the most infectious smiles ever, then I don't know who does.

Love this kid.

/end man-crush rant

CJ seems to have made that leap to star player as a junior that we all want KrisJo to make. Kris never seemed to do it even as a senior (Injuries and too much emphasis on his outside shot IMO)CJ has been huge in our BE games and close games. He has improved his shot and range but continues to do what has made him successful with the midrange/slashing/crashing. He has done this all while becoming a better defender and rebounder. His weakside shot blocking is great these days.

Honestly, when the ball is in CJ's hands, I'm calm, and when he takes a shot, I feel like it's going in 90% of the time. I don't have any idea how his actual shooting percentage this year isn't like 75%, he seems to rarely miss.

Honestly, when the ball is in CJ's hands, I'm calm, and when he takes a shot, I feel like it's going in 90% of the time. I don't have any idea how his actual shooting percentage this year isn't like 75%, he seems to rarely miss.
Maybe you missed the games where he couldn't get anything to go down?

I understand the love-fest, he's one of my favorite players too but he's been inconsistent (much like KJ). To surpass KJ, he'll have to shoot a little more consistently and keep from getting his shots blocked a little more.

Maybe you missed the games where he couldn't get anything to go down?

I understand the love-fest, he's one of my favorite players too but he's been inconsistent (much like KJ). To surpass KJ, he'll have to shoot a little more consistently and keep from getting his shots blocked a little more.
He doesn't force much, he usually gets clean looks and when he doesn't, he's usually going to the line. KJ started his last 2 years here, and shot 45.6% as a junior, and 42.1% as a senior; Fair has shot 46.4% and 47.8% his last 2 years. I really can't name one thing that KJ was better at than CJ, I guess you could give him the slight edge in handle...Not to mention CJ is averaging almost 2 more boards per game this year than KJ ever did.

He doesn't force much, he usually gets clean looks and when he doesn't, he's usually going to the line. KJ started his last 2 years here, and shot 45.6% as a junior, and 42.1% as a senior; Fair has shot 46.4% and 47.8% his last 2 years. I really can't name one thing that KJ was better at than CJ, I guess you could give him the slight edge in handle...Not to mention CJ is averaging almost 2 more boards per game this year than KJ ever did.
I put them in the same class, so far. Both had excellent games but neither is/was consistent enough to be great. CJ has time to change that.

Not to bash Kris Jo, but if you also factor in how often Kris was called for an offensive on drives to the rim vs how often CJ gets fouled and goes to the line on the same plays, I'd have to give the edge to CJ.

CJ Has been the best option on this team all year, from his ability to stay on the floor and play defense without fouling to his consistency from the field and the free throw line. He is the one player besides MCW that needs to be on the floor.
Can you imagine if it were he instead of Dirty that became ineligible?