The long wait... | Syracusefan.com

The long wait...

JDubbin

The ONLY Syracuse Sneakers Avatar Guy
I’m a huge sports fan (as most of us are I’m sure - Syracuse Football, Eagles, Knicks, Mets, Rangers, Liverpool in the EPL, etc.), but Syracuse basketball is simply the team I love most. Proud of the season and how they developed and played with heart. The ups and downs are never fun but always to be expected in the growth of a team. To end the season basically walking to the line down 3 with 10 seconds to go in the sweet 16 vs. Duke is more than I ever expected. I hate losing a game that could have been won, but I am content!
However, now comes the longest wait in all of sports for me, the Syracuse basketball off-season! The anticipation of how the team will look in that first scrimmage or pre-season games with Bazely, Hughes, Carey, Buddy, etc. along with the development of returning players is already something I’m looking forward to! Until next season, Orange, thanks from a fan who hates waiting until the next season!

I’m a huge sports fan (as most of us are I’m sure - Syracuse Football, Eagles, Knicks, Mets, Rangers, Liverpool in the EPL, etc.), but Syracuse basketball is simply the team I love most. Proud of the season and how they developed and played with heart. The ups and downs are never fun but always to be expected in the growth of a team. To end the season basically walking to the line down 3 with 10 seconds to go in the sweet 16 vs. Duke is more than I ever expected. I hate losing a game that could have been won, but I am content!
However, now comes the longest wait in all of sports for me, the Syracuse basketball off-season! The anticipation of how the team will look in that first scrimmage or pre-season games with Bazely, Hughes, Carey, Buddy, etc. along with the development of returning players is already something I’m looking forward to! Until next season, Orange, thanks from a fan who hates waiting until the next season!

LOL... You lost me at "Bin Dippers fan"! :)

I’ve been waiting for a place to say this.

At least JDubbin talks about “anticipation”. But in many other posts I have read “Top 5” and “Top 3” with people practically salivating over the prospects of next year’s team.

Don’t you guys at least want to see this juggernaut for a few games before getting confident?

Do you really think those tapes of high school games give you an accurate picture? In talking about Marek, JB said that in his experience videos of games were almost always unreliable ways of assessing players.

Is it even in the realm of possibility that Marek, Sidibe and Pascal don’t get all that much better?

What about the chemistry on the floor and in the locker room?

With the core of this year’s team back (possibly minus TB) and with the arrival of reinforcements, things are looking up. But some of this unrestrained optimism on here seems to me to be some of the fan base getting ahead of themselves.

At least JDubbin talks about “anticipation”. But in many other posts I have read “Top 5” and “Top 3” with people practically salivating over the prospects of next year’s team.

Don’t you guys at least want to see this juggernaut for a few games before getting confident?

Do you really think those tapes of high school games give you an accurate picture? In talking about Marek, JB said that in his experience videos of games were almost always unreliable ways of assessing players.

Is it even in the realm of possibility that Marek, Sidibe and Pascal don’t get all that much better?

With the core of this year’s team back (possibly minus TB) and with the arrival of reinforcements, things are looking up. But some of this unrestrained optimism on here seems to me to be some of the fan base getting ahead of themselves.
We’re just having fun dreaming, Townie. Just dreaming. :rolleyes:

Reality will come soon enough but we shan’t be deprived of our dreams!

We’re just having fun dreaming, Townie. Just dreaming. :rolleyes:

Reality will come soon enough but we shan’t be deprived of our dreams!

Well, maybe so.

But unrealistic expectations somehow always seem to lead to frustration when they aren’t met. Then we get into the (hysterical) blame game when these high expectations aren’t met. You might recall the “Time for JB to quit” thread from a couple of weeks ago.

Wanna know how good the 2018-19 Orange are going to be? Ask me around Feb 1, 2019. And, if 2018 is a guide, even then we won’t know how good or not good we’ll be in March.

“Top Five” talk based on what we know today is ridiculous.

I love this... basically a response to my original post:rolling:

Nicely stated, JDubbin.

Yes, but take away that kind of discussion, and we might as well fold up this board and go home.

I don’t know about that.

No one was anticipating a super season last year and it seemed to chug a long.

I don’t know about that.

No one was anticipating a super season last year and it seemed to chug a long.

True, but I wasn't referring so much to the specifics of the discussion as to it's "prediction-based" tenor.

If Oshae returns as well, I think it’s justified to assume (based on experience and depth alone) a safe return to the top 25.

Senior guard in Frank.
Sizeable two in Hughes
Oshae
Bazely
Chukwu.

A high upside, low basement lineup with depth to allow Frank and Oshae not to be forced to break 35 mins a game.

I think any talk of top 10 rankings is unwarranted until we know who’s coming back, who improves and whos capable of giving Frank/Hughes/Oshae*/TB* necessary breathers.

Yes, great post. A long wait for sure! I’d expect the team to be very good. I’m not one who EVER pays attention to the polls and generally loathe “where will we be ranked?” posts from the newbies here.

I can’t imagine more of the same offensive ball and concepts to be deployed with the arrival of more talent but we’ll see. It will be so interesting to see if/when we get back to getting some transition ball going again and the whole Frank VS Carey in terms of bringing the ball up and who will be better at leading a break. Could be that we still plod and meander up the floor with Frank and when Carey has the ball it totally changes...go! Get downhill. Wouldn’t be surprised if that’s the plan and strategy by design.

But, I expect to be a Top 4 or 5 seed in the Tournament. Maybe better but not worse. No damn bubble that’s for sure.

Last edited:
Yes, great post. A long wait for sure! I’d expect the team to be very good. I’m not one who EVER pays attention to the polls and generally loathe “where will be ranked” posts from the newbies here.

I can’t imagine more of the same offensive ball and concepts to be deployed with the arrival of more talent but we’ll see. It will be so interesting to see if/when we get back to getting some transition ball going again and the whole Frank VS Carey in terms of bringing the ball up and who will be better at leading a break. Could be that we still plod and meander up the floor with Frank and when Carey has the ball it totally changes...go! Get downhill. Wouldn’t be surprised if that’s the plan and strategy by design.

But, I expect to be a Top 4 or 5 seed in the Tournament. Maybe better but not worse. No damn bubble that’s for sure.

Don't forget about Bazley bringing the ball up -- could see that happening a LOT, especially when he rips down boards. Guy will trigger the fast break himself -- lethal in the open floor, and he sees the floor like a guard.

Don't forget about Bazley bringing the ball up -- could see that happening a LOT, especially when he rips down boards. Guy will trigger the fast break himself -- lethal in the open floor, and he sees the floor like a guard.

That's what I like about his game also and another reason it just boggles my mind why people think Marek starts over him (assuming Oshae comes back also). I love Marek and what he brings to the table and how the offense flowed better when he was in there this season, but I think Darius skill set and passing ability will make it flow just as well and the other parts of the game Bazley has a clear advantage.

I am actually looking forward to football season. I think they are going to have a good season. The improvement and close losses to good teams hopefully turns into Ws. In Dino we trust.

Well, maybe so.

But unrealistic expectations somehow always seem to lead to frustration when they aren’t met. Then we get into the (hysterical) blame game when these high expectations aren’t met. You might recall the “Time for JB to quit” thread from a couple of weeks ago.

Wanna know how good the 2018-19 Orange are going to be? Ask me around Feb 1, 2019. And, if 2018 is a guide, even then we won’t know how good or not good we’ll be in March.

“Top Five” talk based on what we know today is ridiculous.

It's kind of painful for me to say this, but I completely agree. We have absolutely no clue what next year's team will look like. Will there be more summertime drama? And please let the answer be no... Will someone get hurt, have grade issues, etc.? We simply have no idea what our team will look like year to year. Heck, as you say, month to month is hard to predict. I'll let it play out and see what we got come January...