The "Lost Boys" of the Sudan | Syracusefan.com

The "Lost Boys" of the Sudan

SWC75

Bored Historian
60 Minutes has a report on Sudan's "Lost Boys", who went through a lot to escape their country because they were Christian and the Muslims were killing and persecuting them in various ways:
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-18560_162-57576821/the-lost-boys-of-sudan-12-years-later/

It brought to mind the Duany family, who came over somewhat earlier but for the same reasons, including Kueth, who was a key player on our national championship team of ten years ago.
http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/columnist/oconnor/2003-03-22-oconnor_x.htm

Good to see the media giving some more attention to the atrocities occurring in the Sudan. One of my favorite all-time Syracuse basketball moments was back in January of '00 when I was a foolish 18 year old attending Cortland. Went up to the game with some buddies and wanted to see 'Cuse smack a good UCONN squad in town that night. Sensing a court storming(yes, dumb, I know and I'm sorry but I did preface this by stating my age and level of maturity at the time), we went below and got ready. Game over, Orangemen win, and we hit the floor. Ended up at the scorers table jumping like an idiot. Kueth was standing on the table pumping his fist and getting us even more amped. Ended up on Sportscenters top plays with one of my boys, a mob and Kueth. At the time it was really awesome and still a great memory. Little did I know that in three years he would be the captain and lone senior on a National Championship team.

Lets not forget Tully star and Olympic flag bearer Lopez Lomong..

Lets not forget Tully star and Olympic flag bearer Lopez Lomong..
I read this as "let's not forget Tully's star" to which my first thought in response was Buffalo Chicken Tenders, my personal choice for Tully's #1 star... Man do I miss those tenders, try to grab some every time I'm in town.

My son used to work at CPEP (St. Joe's psych ER) and John Dau was a guard there. They became good friends and David even went to house one night for supper. He was humble and constantly grateful to be where he was.

About two years ago I ended up in the regular emergency room at St. Joe's. About 5 a.m. I was wheeled up to my room and the transporter had an interesting accent. I asked him where he was from and he drew himself up proudly and said, "Ma'am, I am one of the Lost Boys." I was thrilled to meet him! Shook his hand, and we talked animatedly all the way up to my room. I told him it was an honor to meet him. And it was!